Patricia meets Mrs Dabble Springhop

Patricia meets Mrs Dabble Springhop

A Story by John Preston
"

A hot sunny day at The Warren.

"

Patricia meets Mrs Dabble Springhop

 

Monday’s wash day for Mrs Dabble Springhop, who at this very moment is finishing hanging out the last of her wash for today?


Can you see her five youngsters playing near faerie Hollow? There’s Frattle, and Drazzle, Cuddles and Muzzles, and lastly her youngest Nussle’s.


There’s someone approaching Mrs Dabble Springhop’s cottage, why, it’s Mr Humble the weasel from Dirrington fields, he’s riding his tricycle and singing a song.


I’m Mr Humble, singing my song, just whistle a tune, any will do.

Da-de da-du-de-du, is it you or is it blue, over the hills and far away.

Da-de-da-du-de-du, riding my tricycle singing a song, there’s no double D in tea you see.

Da-de-da-du-de-du, peddle don’t meddle, as i treadle, riding along on my tricycle.

Da-de-da-du-de-du it’s not a riddle, being in the middle.

Da-de-da-du-de-du, good day to you Mrs Dabble Springhop, come rain or shine always a smile.

Da-de-da-du-de-du, I’m Mr Humble singing my song, just whistle a tune any will do.


Mr Humble the weasel approaches Mrs Dabble Springhop’s cottage, he can see she’s pegging her weekly wash on her washing line; it’s always the same, come sunshine or rain.  Monday morning the Copper pan, with water boiling in her laundry room. The laundry room is or some would call an outhouse, is attached to the back of the cottage. 


There’s no wash day blues for Mrs Dabble Springhop, even though it takes most of the morning to complete this task, not a moan or groan does she do. 

Using the dolly in her tub for turning clothes and a washboard to use over the sink for awkward stains, and were would she be without her cast iron clothes mangle. This machine that wrings out the water and then Mrs Dabble Springhop is able to hang the clothes on the clothes line. Mrs Dabble Springhop is so pleased she has such modern labour saving devises to hand.

 

 Mrs Dabble Springhop greets Mr Humble as he’s dismounts his tricycle and is removing his trouser clips.   “Good day to you Mr Humble, would you like a tipple, it’s freshly brewed in the earthen ware, it’s on the boil on the range, come in, leave your tricycle by the door.  You can leave your shoes on Mr Humble. I’ve swept outside, there’s no dust here, please come, enter, take a chair near the inglenook. I’ll pour the tipple and I’ve made fresh delicious moist carrot cake, I’ll cut a slice for you.”

 

Mrs Dabble Springhop is busy pouring and talking and slicing the cake, poor Mr Humbles, he can’t get a word in edgeways.  Mrs Dabble Springhop hands Mr Humble a salver with a slice of her legendary carrot and raisin cake, also handing him a fork, spoon and a napkin of course, no guest would be without these important necessities at Mrs Dabble Springhop’s table.

 

“Why Mrs Dabble Springhop, thank you, what a generous portion, why, this is such a large wedge shape,” Mr Humble said, thinking that Mr Basil Stoat could use the wedge shape piece of cake to use under the wheel of his horse drawn cart to stop it moving.


“Oh my, Mrs Dabble Springhop I do believe I’ll never finish eating such a bountiful piece.  You’re so very generous; surely you won’t have enough for your family my dear.”


“Oh, that’s all right Mr Humble, I’ve made three just yesterday, so you see, we have plenty, now eat up and I’ll pour another tipple.”


“Oh, I’ve not had my first yet, thank you kind woman; I’d surely need to use your bathroom if I partake anymore.”


Mr Humble senses Mrs Dabble Springhop’s eyes are focused on him, watching every movement whilst using the fork, and spoon eating such tasty moisture carrot cake.


“Now you are rested and taken my hospitality Mr Humble, you may tell me what, if any, is there news in Crinklewood Place.”


“Oh yes there is Mrs Dabble Springhop, there’s good tidings for Mrs Hedgewold the Hedgehog, having delivered two fledglings early yesterday just before dawn, and there being two belting boys, big and strong they be.”


 Mr Humble also disclosed to Mrs Dabble Springhop, “Mrs Maize Flour the field mouse I’m told, the delivery of her new born will be this week, however she never stays still, always nipping in those corn fields; Why only yesterday Mrs Maize Flour tells me the storeroom is full and so is the pantry, there’s no need to gather food for quite a while, leaving plenty of time to take care of the young litter of five or more Mrs Maize Flour is expecting.”

 

“That’s good news indeed to hear; I must go and take Mrs Maize Flour a carrot cake after she’s had those little ones in a few days. I’ll let the new born settle in their new surroundings first before I make my visit.”


“And unfortunately for Mr Redgrey the squirrel from Oak Wood Grange, poor fellow, in the Spital, ward six he be, a branch he jump too snapped, and so he injured his right leg, now laid up for a while, Mr Redgrey’s a fighter though and won’t be in the Spital for long,” Mr Humble said.


 “Yes, yes Mr Humble, I’m waiting to hear what news there is about Mr Drapple.  I hear he’s been helping himself to the eggs on Mr Farmjoys farm.  Oh! The times I’ve told Mrs Feathers about her not collecting those free range eggs each day.  Well, I said someone would take advantage, has constable Stripe the badger had words with him yet? Have you any news about that Mr Humble?”


“Now, now Mrs Dabble Springhop, don’t be too hasty in judging our very good friend the sly fox Mr Drapple. We all have had dealings with him in some way, even you, when he brings you your raisons when there out of season, you’re most indebted and thankful being able to make those scrumptious delightful carrot and raison cakes so late in season.  Why even Mrs Beatty Beetroot is envious and jealous I hear after she’s frequented your hospitality for afternoon tipple."


Mrs Dabble replied, “I must admit Mrs Beatty Beetroot is always asking in a subtle way what the ingredients are, I just switch subjects Mr Humble.”


“And of course constable Stripe knows all the local tails and woes from around Seven acres; he’s been on this beat some years now, as you well know Mrs Dabble Springhop. Well, I must leave you, my most enjoyable delightful young lady; I’ve enjoyed your company and an agreeable afternoon tipple it was, thank you most kindly, I must depart now for Crinklewood Place.”


“Thank you for calling Mr Humble, it is a pleasure making your acquaintance, you must please call again very soon, your always welcome here at ‘The Warren.”


“I’ll do that with pleasure,” Mr Humble assures her as he slips his tricycle clips on the bottom of his trouser legs, then steps outside and onto his tricycle. Mr Humble is on the path for Crinklewood Place, on passing Mrs Dabble’s children who are playing near faerie hollow,

 Mr Hubble calls out to them. “Farewell and good bye children.”

 

A short while later, Mrs Dabble Springhop has an unexpected guest, this being Patricia who lives in a town called Summers End.  Patricia nears Mrs Dabble Springhop’s picket fence, on reaching the side of the gate where Mrs Dabble Springhop is standing, watching her little ones who are now playing in the front garden and calls out to them.


“Frattles, Drazzle, Cuddles, and Muzzles, you too Nussle’s, come in the cottage please, I don’t want you dehydrating, it’s so hot, come in for a cool drink of ginger beer.”


“Alright mother,” Cuddles called back, then telling her brothers and sister to follow her.


“Hello young lady, how are you?” Mrs Dabble Springhop asked.


 “Oh, Very well thank you madam.” Patricia replied.


“Would you like a ginger beer with ice? It’s such a very hot afternoon my dear young girl.”


“Yes please, that would be very kind of you, I‘m rather dry and thirsty.” 

Mrs Dabble Springhop opened the gate and beckons Patricia through,


“Now my dear, please follow me into the cottage.  I’m Mrs Dabble Springhop, those young ones you may see are my five children, and would you like to tell me your name?”


“Oh, my names Patricia, I don’t live here abouts, I live in a town called Summers End, I thought  being it’s such a beautiful day I’d take a leisurely stroll.”


“It doesn’t matter Patricia, we always have people passing this way now and again, it’s quite normal. It’s a hot day, and you look as though you need a cool drink, and a nice piece of my home made carrot cake.”


Patricia could hear the children behind her talking and giggling as they came towards the cottage.


“Wash your hands before coming into the cottage children,” Mrs Dabble Springhop calls to her children.


“Yes mother,” All the children replied, as they go to the side of the cottage to wash their hands.


Patricia thought this is a sweet little cottage, with its thatch roof and with purple flowers creeping up part of the front walls. There are plenty of plant pots with abundance of beautiful flowers, and the scent as she neared the front door, so nice she thought.  Before entering into the cottage, Patricia went over to where some of the pots were and breathed in the lovely scent that each different plant is emitting.


Mrs Dabble Springhop opened her front door, “Come in Patricia, no need to take your shoes of."


On entering the cottage Mrs Dabble pointed to a pail near the inglenook stove on a tall thin table, “Patricia you may refresh yourself over there where the pail is, there’s a towel underneath.”


Patricia went over to the pail and dipped her hands into a cool cloudy looking liquid, as soon as she put her hands in the liquid; she felt her hands tingling and pulled them out straight away.


“It’s all right Patricia, it’s only the root from the coda plant, we use it to sterilise and keep germ’s at bay, it’s so useful don’t you think?”


“Yes I suppose it is really, we don’t have that were I come from,”


Mrs Dabble Springhop has a table with eight chairs round it, three face each other and one at each end of the table, Mrs Dabble Springhop pulled an end chair out for Patricia to sit in, “Come Patricia; sit just here before the children rush in,”


Which on queue they came running in, shouting and being very noisy as most young rabbits are, they dragged the chairs on the wooden floor boards, as they sat on their chairs talking to each other, then, all now, oh so silent  looking at Patricia sitting one end of the table.

“Hello,” Patricia said to the children.


They all replied in so many ways, and straight away return chatting to each other.


One girl on Patricia's left, turned from talking to her brother, who was sitting next to her, looked straight into Patricia’s eyes.


“What’s your name?”


 “I’m Patricia.”


“That’s a nice name, my name is Muzzles, and here are my brothers and sisters, next to me my brother, whose name is Drazzle, next to him is Frattle, opposite him is my sister Cuddles and lastly the youngest whose name is Nussles, but only by a few thumps, I’m the eldest, I’m twelve.”


“What twelve years?”


“No silly just twelve,” Muzzles replied with a little laughter in her voice.


“Oh all right,” Patricia said not wanting to feel stupid, her not knowing what that answer meant.


“You’re not from around here are you, never seen anyone like you before?”


“Now, now, don’t ask awkward questions of our guest, anyway Cuddles, your too young to have seen other’s like Patricia.”


 “No, it’s quite alright,” Patricia said.


Patricia sensing all the children’s eyes focused on her, they’ve all stopped chattering and then, Mrs Dabble Springhop brought over a tray, with tumblers and a jug of iced cool ginger beer, placed it on the table; one by one Mrs Dabble Springhop dispenses the ginger beer into each tumbler, placing one to each person sitting at the table.


“Now wait children, let me bring the carrot cake, then Patricia can tell us all, where she’s from, and why she’s passing here on her travels.”


Mrs Dabble Springhop went over to her larder; she came out with a meat loaf shape cake, then placed it on the table, then over to the side table and brought small plates, placing one in front of each including her place at the other end of the table facing Patricia.  Mrs Dabble Springhop cut’s the carrot cake and place’s a piece on the relevant plate. The little ones waited for some reason to eat there cake,  Patricia wondered why, then Patricia watched Mrs Dabble Springhop walk to the side unit, open a draw, and then withdrew cutlery, taking out forks, spoons and napkin’s, and placed one of each next to a plate.


Mrs Dabble Springhop sat down, and then put her hands together to pray, her children did the same. Patricia didn’t know what Mrs Dabble Springhop was saying, because the language so unfamiliar to her. After Mrs Dabble Springhop had finished speaking, Patricia picked up her tumbler and had a nice cool drink; it’s been so long since tasting real ginger beer with ice.


“Well, I said I’d tell you where I’m from.” Patricia said.


Patricia told her story; however she did leave out quite a lot not wanting to frighten the young one’s here, who as Patricia could see there so amazed at what she’s telling them, with seeing their expressions and awe of wonder, with their wide eyes as Patricia explains her resent adventures.

 

Patricia had been talking for ages, and then Mrs Dabble Springhop said to her children, “Finish eating your carrot cake and drink your ginger beer, then you can all go outside and play.”


“Oh! Mum, I want to hear more from Patricia, I want to go on great adventures when I grow up,”   Nussles said.


“For now young lady, you have to learn in school the ways of the world before any thought of wondering off on any fanciful adventures,” Mrs Dabble Springhop told Nuzzles.


Patricia eats her carrot cake and picked up her cool ginger beer with a pleasing feeling taste until her beaker was empty. 


“Would you like to come and play outside near the cottage Patricia?” Muzzles asked.


“I’d love to come and play and take in the country side here a bout, and my aspiration to take a fresh breath of air from that flowering meadow nearby.” 


“Wait till everyone’s finished before you go rushing out Muzzles, and mind the current if you go down to the stream. Why not take Patricia to see Faerie Hollow? Buttercup and Daisy might be there playing,” Mrs Dabble Springhop said.


 “We will,” Drazzle replied.


“Have you all finished then,” Mrs Dabble Springhop asked.


“Yes mother,” All the children replied.


 “Thank you, I’ve finished also,” Patricia said.


 “All right then, off you go and take care of Patricia, she doesn’t know the land here a bouts.”


 “We will,” all the children call out.


 As they noisily leave there places at the table with their chairs scraping on the wooden floor, while Patricia places her chair under the table so quietly.


“Come on, let’s play outside,” Nussles takes hold of Patricia's hand.

 

All the children now leave the kitchen, most running to play near the stream, with Nussles leading Patricia, both walk through the garden to a gate at the end, then they enter the adjoining field while the other children have already run through down to the stream.


Nussles takes Patricia over to Faerie Hollow; were a willow tree is on one side of the stream.  As they approach the tree, little Nussles calls for her woodland friends.  She’s so disappointed, there not here for Patricia to see, Nussles thumps on the ground with one of her back legs to attract the faeries.  After a short wait, no faeries appeared.


“I was expecting Buttercup and Daisy here playing; they must have gone to faerie wood Patricia, would you like to come with me and play with Buttercup and Daisy?  There are so many other faerie children we can also play with in faerie wood.”


Patricia had never seen a faerie, she thought that would be wonderful being able to play, especially with little bunny Nussles.


“Oh, that would be so marvellous Nussles, I can only play for a short time though, and I must be home myself, mother having afternoon tea ready.”


Nussles presses on the bark of the willow tree, an opening formed, Nussles enters, Patricia follows, there’s stone steps leading down from the base of the tree, down, down winding stairs, and then, they reach the base of a tree, and before them is faerie land.


As Nussles and Patricia step out of the tree base, they see the faerie children playing chasing each other. Patricia asked Nussles, “What are they playing?”


“There playing tic-a-nic, one of the children is chosen to start the game, he or she has to catch another faerie and try and tic on their foot, if on doing so, are able to touch the other’s foot and say, you’re on, then that faerie has to chase and tic another, and so on,” Nuzzles replied.


 “I can see their enjoying playing, see how they are darting through the branches avoiding being touched,” Patricia said.

 

 

 

 

Then the faerie that has to touch, fly’s to Patricia and touches her foot, and calls out, “You’re on,” And fly’s away. Patricia was chasing, trying to touch any faerie which would come close enough to her, of course the faeries are flying, and Patricia can only put her arms out to try and reach these playful children. Of course she couldn’t touch any, so she gave up and went over to Nussles who was playing with a whip and top.


 “Would you like to play with the whip and top Patricia?” Nuzzles asked.


“Oh yes please, I can wrap the string round the top, I find it so hard to make the top spin when I try and launch it, and if I do manage to have it spinning, then whipping the top to keep it spinning is so difficult I find Nussles.”


“Never mind then Patricia, let’s play Hopscotch instead, see over there where it’s marked out on the ground? Come on, you start, take this acorn to throw on the numbers.”


Having played a couple of games of Hopscotch, Buttercup and Daisy arrived and asked if they could join in and also play Hopscotch. Now being a little smaller than Patricia and Nussles, these two faeries used a small garden pea, this however rolled to number ten every time they played, which of course if you reach there, in less throws than your opponents, you’re the winner. Patricia and Nussles took this all in good fun and moved on to play other games like Shove a Scallop shell which they played on a large toadstool.

 

Honeysuckle came over to Patricia and Nussles and asked them both. “Would you like to play Apples and Strawberries with me and some of the other faerie children?”


“I don’t know that game,” Patricia replied.


“Oh, it’s so easy to play, come with me,” Honeysuckle said.


Honeysuckle takes hold of Patricia’s hand, and Nussles follows to where other faerie children who are playing games. Honeysuckle asked the other children to come and play Apples and Strawberries.  The children formed two lines of three facing each other, raise their arms, and clasp their partners’ hands to make an archway for Patricia and Nussles to walk under.

 

 

 The faerie children then sang a song as Patricia and Nussles took it in turn to walk under their arch of arms. 


"Apples and Strawberries,
says the Wise Owl of Norbury. 
You owe me three Tiggles
says the Wise Squirrel of Nutsmeberry.
When will you pay me?             
Says the Wise Badger of Wafflebank

I only have pips, Apple replies
I only have seed’s, Strawberry replies.


Apples and Strawberries,
says the Wise Weasel of Slimbridge.
You owe me four Waffes
says the Wise Hawk of Dunwitch.
When will you pay me?
Says the Wise Fox of Slyford
I only have acorns, Oak tree replies
I only have nuts, Beech tree replies.

Honey bee, honey bee, faerie queen be

Now we send you to the willow tree.

On the last word, the second two children faeries forming part of the arch drop their arms to catch whoever is under." 


Patricia and Nussles had been playing for such a long time, Patricia quite forgot the time having a wonderful playtime with Nussles, Honeysuckle, Rosemary and Daisy and so many other faerie children.


“Oh my, I must go home now Nussles if you don’t mind, my mother will have afternoon tea ready for me.”


“Don’t you want to play ‘Ring a Ring o’ snowdrop,” Nussles asked.


“I really don’t have time now, I’d love to come back with you another time and play here in faerie wood”


They both said there goodbye’s to the faerie children and went back to the base of the  tree that would lead them home and up the steps they went, which takes them to the willow tree, and on to Mrs Dabble Springhop’s cottage.

 

Patricia told Mrs Dabble, “I’ve really enjoyed my time with Nuzzles and the faeries in faerie wood; I must go home my mother would be waiting for me.”


Mrs Dabble Springhop was pleased Nussles and Patricia had had a lovely time in faerie wood.


“Patricia please call again very soon, I always have fresh carrot cake and of course homemade ginger beer.”


“That’s very kind of you Mrs Dabble Springhop, I’d love to come back, and have carrot cake and of course play with your children.”


Patricia took the path which she’d used to come across to Mrs Dabble Springhop’s home and as she continued she disappeared out of view.

 

 

 

  

  

 

 

 

© 2016 John Preston


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on October 5, 2016
Last Updated on October 5, 2016
Tags: Short story

Author

John Preston
John Preston

Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, United Kingdom



About
I'm past my time not long to go, but ha I'll just keep going, day by day one step at a time. I can not write but I try poetry, rime a little story. Please comment as you feel. It's good to know. Dy.. more..

Writing