Hazards of Cell Phone Towers

Hazards of Cell Phone Towers

A Chapter by Priya Seht
"

Cell Phone Towers are being set up in areas of settlement due to which they pose a serious threat not only to humans but to birds.

"
Cell phones came as a boon for us but now we are having troubles with the cell phone towers. While few of them have been installed illegally, the legal ones are also not causing any less tribulation. These towers not only cause health hazards to humans but also to innocent animals and birds. The evident example is the decreasing number of house sparrows, which used to perch with their delicate wings on the bright days. The harmful electro magnetic radiations (EMRs) from the towers affect children and women the most adversely affecting their health. These EMRs cause tumour, skin cancer, DNA disorders, death, etc. Studies reveal more than this data. EMR can cause memory loss, headache, allergies, etc. The rays have a frequency of 1900 Mega Hertz which can easily penetrate human bodies. The standards set by the International Commission of Non-Iodised Radiationare not being followed by the mobile tower operators. They tend to provide services to customers but in turn deplete their health. Instead of help, they are rendering hell.
Shimla has recorded 118 towers out of which only 18 are legal. It’s not that the legal ones are not causing any problem. The guidelines say that such towers need to be installed beyond 500 metres (in radius) from the schools and congested areas. The government needs to wake up soon otherwise there would be serious repercussions on the society both health wise and bio-diversity wise. These towers cause electromagnetic Pollution also. Campaigns to save birds are launched but no one thinks about the other activities carried down. Inhabitants definitely can register a PIL and seek the redressal.

The Sealing of towers in Delhi is also a welcome step.


© 2010 Priya Seht


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
Added on December 14, 2010
Last Updated on December 14, 2010


Author

Priya Seht
Priya Seht

Jammu, Jammu, India



About
Biker at heart, blood in tank & fuel in veins more..

Writing