Screams of Nature

Screams of Nature

A Chapter by Priya Seht
"

We've become so selfish that we think we're the owners of this Earth. But in reality, we're merely the tenants who have not inherited the Earth from ancestors but borrowed from future generations.

"
The Almighty had given so much to humans that his greed is increasing with the evolution of time. Humans have evolved from Stone Age and Ice Age to the twentieth century and because of this, he has found out several ways of meeting his needs.
Early man started with poaching of animals, invented fire and many staggering things and the present scenario is right in front of us.
Our environment consists of biotic and abiotic components which together work together to form an ecosystem. But human has gone to such an extent that he is ready to do anything and everything to meet his escalating demands due to which the whole ecosystem is disrupted. He is cutting trees ruthlessly without even realizing that he is jeopardizing the lives of so many.
Deforestation, Pollution, Imbalance in nature, Ozone depletion, Decrease in Oxygen level and increase in CO2 level, Change in climatic pattern, GLOBAL WARMING, extinction of birds or animals (like dodo and dinosaur), habitat destruction, etc have all evolved from human’s activities and it is he who is to be blamed. The number of disasters has also increased especially deluge and earthquake because of the carelessness.
It is quite doleful to see small children suffering from asthma and many detrimental respiratory problems. The root cause of all evil is human himself only because his activities are the ones which either make or break (disrupt) the environment and the ecosystem.
The water pollution is mainly caused due to washing of clothes, bathing of cattle and the most important of all- untreated industrial waste. Because of such things, there is biomagnification i.e. there is a concentration of toxic as we go from one trophic level to the next. This salanized water is taken by the plants, which are eaten by humans or animals and become more toxic once they enter the other body (of human or animal) or the insecticides may be washed away from soil along with water and may enter a water body. After entering the water body, fish will consume it and if humans consume that fish, it will become lethal for him.
Air Pollution is the most common topic that everyone talks about. It is because of excessive emissions from vehicles, deforestation, etc.
Apart from these things, noise pollution also has an impact on our environment. Many humans suffer from cardiac arrest in many cases because there is a cacophony of sound all around because of DJs, horns, etc.
There are many solutions for this very problem like afforestation, car pool system, using alternate sources of energy, preventing overuse of pesticides and insecticides, having organic food, indulging ourselves in various campaign/ NGOs, encouraging bicycling which can very much make a difference, using CNG (Compressed Natural Gas), reducing the emissions of CFCs (Chlorofluoro Carbons), minimum usage of pesticides, etc.
When there is loud music/ noise then a person must either move out from the specific area or close his ears so that his health remains his wealth.
There are innumerable ways to protect out delicate ecosystem in order to live a healthy and a serene life. I would like to end with thought provoking lines :
If not earth, where?
If not now, when?
If not you, who?


© 2010 Priya Seht


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on December 14, 2010
Last Updated on December 14, 2010


Author

Priya Seht
Priya Seht

Jammu, Jammu, India



About
Biker at heart, blood in tank & fuel in veins more..

Writing