I Heard it Through the GrapeVine

I Heard it Through the GrapeVine

A Story by Pete
"

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." - John 15:5 (KJV)

"
Image result for backyard grapevine

Yesterday, I spent the day visiting with my father at the nursing home.  He's ninety-four years old and doing amazingly well for his age, despite having recently fallen at home.  He talked almost nonstop during the entire visit.  He spoke about significant events in his life, growing up as one of eight children of Italian immigrant parents, enduring much hardship and many struggles during the Great Depression of the thirties followed by World War II in the forties.  He mentioned how his family would gather together each Sunday, under a grapevine that his mother had planted, to eat spaghetti and meatballs.  He talked about how everything that his mother had ever planted flourished.  Recollecting how they would be playing outside in the street, as it was getting dark, and the policeman would come by on his evening rounds telling them to go home just as his mother was calling each one of them, by name, to come inside.  How he had worked for the same company for over forty years, never missing a day.  He went on about how he had served in the Marine Corps as a radio operator on reconnaissance flights during the war, logging well over one-thousand hours in the air.  He flew on some of the largest planes that were tasked with recovering dead and wounded American soldiers during the Islands Campaign of the Pacific Theater.  Some of the bodies had been brutally mutilated by the Japanese.
He spoke about his faith and the importance of God and family.  It was clear that these things were the cornerstones of his life.  He said that he wanted to go home and was, "Thinking about retiring."    Retiring, to the house surrounded by hedges that he dug up and transplanted himself from the land of a man who had offered them to him as a gift when he bought it.  I just sat and listened while I held his hand, hugging and kissing him.  I couldn't stop hugging and kissing him.  He's a good man.  You made it Dad.  God bless you.  One day we'll be together on the other side.  You'll show me that grapevine.  We'll sit and talk under its shade, protection and love.  We'll reach up and pick some grapes.  I'll cook the spaghetti and you'll make the meatballs and tomato sauce.  Your mother, father, seven siblings and all of their offspring will be there.  We'll all be there, together.  There will be generations. So many in fact, that the grapevine will go on forever and ever for eternity ...


Related image



© 2018 Pete


Author's Note

Pete
"We are older by faith than by experience." - Thoreau

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OH MY GOSH! This is the BEST thing you’ve written that I’ve read so far! The way you organized this message is amazing, first sharing the father’s thoughts, then the son’s – presumably yours, becuz the passion & sincerity is so strong & palpable, this has to be a first person share. Hearing what old people think of, to share, is an interesting tale in itself, & you’ve made it into a sparkling memorial to your dad. The thing that really touches me is the way you describe hugging & kissing . . . many times writers forget to show the physical aspects of a message with strong emotional details. They get too inside their own heads, so forget to show what’s going on physically too. Your ability to do this really adds a ton of warmth to your scene. I love this. I can’t believe how many meaningful details you packed into this very short piece. The grapevine is such a classic central image for your tapestry (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you sincerely Margie, really. a very emotional visit for me indeed. thank you for your open,.. read more



Reviews

I took the longest break from this site, I'm happy to be back.
I've missed you, Pete! This is amazing, just like the rest of your pieces. It's warm, full of love and light. Thank you for sharing this incredible story.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thanks Giullia. so the King is back - long live the King! your thoughts and presence are much appr.. read more
wow amazing write pete... and i really find the story endearing and warm

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you sette. glad you got something from it. your thoughts are well appreciated friend ... :)
Oh my ...tears in my eyes Pete ...straight forward .. the language of neighborhoods ... I am Irish but I grew up in an Italian "hood" ... My Norma is Italian ... all of your scenes are not foreign to me because of the stories Norma tells me ...of her Grandparents that barely and did not speak anything but Italian ... most centered around the table and those never ending meals ... and the references in time and history is part of all "baby boomers" for certain ... and those parents who just may still be around .. (i have an uncle who is 103 and an aunt that is 96 ;) i think this is a precious thing you shared .. thank you!
E.
ps. there was an old Italian man that lived down the block from me and as a newspaper boy I could not resist just a few of his, better because I shouldn't take them, grapes ... He was spry and guarded his grapes so I had to be quick and only take a few or risk being caught ... love and peace Pete!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you E.N. hold onto those things - that is the good stuff of life. appreciate you sharing you.. read more
I heard it from the grape vine that you were a vary smart person and that this is a good peace of writeing

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

Lol. don't believe everything that you hear. thank you Phoenix! ... :)
That was an incredible story. The ending reminded me of the ending of "the last battle" by C.S. Lewis. Heaven has many mansions with many rooms where we will spend eternity with our loved ones. I admire your ability to relay an anguishing beautiful moment in your past. Good work. CD

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thanks CD. am not familiar with the C.S. Lewis novel that you speak of. appreciate you taking this.. read more
This is beautiful and enriching to the soul...a sheer masterpiece! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you CQ. your thoughts are appreciated ... :)
Wow...having just went through something similar, this gripped my heart. what a fantastic look at what appears to be a great man's life. I could sit and listen to those tales for hours, it strange how when we get a little older, those things become so much more significant. That is great family picture, thanks so much for sharing all this with us. Loved this!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

older folks hold much wisdom for us and deserve to be heard and remembered, especially those who gav.. read more
Very interesting to hear the historical aspect of this piece of writing. You put across a warm glowing feel, full of togetherness and great hope of 'the other side' where your family will be reunited, so that ' the grapevine will go on forever and ever for eternity.' That photo of the grapevine is lovely. Is it the one your mother planted? What a lovely place to it and ponder about things past, present and to come.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you G.A.A. your thoughts are well appreciated friend ... :)
This beautiful piece makes me think of my own father and his tales of early times. You're fortunate to have such a big, loving family. There is strength there, I'm certain. The lady at the right rear favors my oldest sister.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you Samuel. the bonds that sustain us. your thoughts are well appreciated ... :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

991 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 16, 2018
Last Updated on October 2, 2018

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
No Railing No Railing

A Poem by Pete



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..