Innocence Lost

Innocence Lost

A Poem by Pete
"

"Through our own recovered innocence we discern the innocence of our neighbors." - Thoreau

"
Image result for innocence lost

I remember the first time I heard the neighborhood kids using strange words I had never heard before with an angry, sarcastic tone.
I remember one of them extending a middle finger upward and waving it.
I remember thinking it odd.
Being awed.
Victim of fraud.
I remember in sixth grade when a boy said he liked "smoking weed".
The only thing I knew about weeds was that my father hated them in the yard and pulled them out.
I remember my first junior high school dance.
Standing in the corner in the dark.
Listening to 'Stairway to Heaven'.
Waiting for the day when I would ascend one.
I remember teenage friends saying they had, "Done it."
Not knowing what "it" was.
I remember them saying they had made it to first, second or third base.
Not understanding that it wasn't baseball they were talking about.
I remember watching T.V. and having to figure it out.
I remember asking my mother why people lie.
If it caused them to die.
I remember handing her clothespins while she hung laundry outside on the line.
I remember asking her why we didn't have a dryer.

I remember playing 'guns' in the woods, building a treehouse and not getting why it was so much fun or so fleeting.
That was long before they cut down all the trees and built more houses.
I remember when I joined the Marine Corps.
Hoping for more.
Looking for a way out of a dysfunctional home and dead end town.
'Til I realized I held the power in my hands to take someone's life.
I remember the nuns telling me to repent and confess.
Long before my soul was a mess.
I remember not laughing when everyone else was and laughing when everyone else wasn't.
I remember crying and bending down for a stray dog that had been hit by a car.
I remember when I stood firm with a clenched fist and didn't waver.
I remember being granted favor.
Savoring the flavor.
I remember who I was.
Just because.
I remember a lot.
Now, my father is in a wheelchair and wears a diaper.
My mother stone-deaf and feeble.
Yeah, I remember alright.
I remember when my soul was intact.
Until my life's essence was attacked.
I owed my maker a debt.
Before the damned world made me forget ...

Related image



© 2021 Pete


Author's Note

Pete
"It would be well, perhaps, if we were to spend more of our days and nights without any obstruction between us and the celestial bodies, if the poet did not speak so much from under a roof, or the saint dwell there so long. Birds do not sing in caves, nor do doves cherish their innocence in dovecots." - Thoreau

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so powerful. The innocence of youth held for so long even when we did not understand why others had lost it. Then life gets in the way and we realize all is not rosy. Our loved ones pass on and suffer before they do. That's assuming they live long enough to get to that stage. The circle of life....sometimes it seems like a vicious cycle. Your words pack a punch in this one....and it is easy to identify with them. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

great thoughts on the matter. thanks Lydi. oh to be a child again. life has a way of robbing our .. read more



Reviews

It has been awhile since I have read anything that gave such an impact on my emotions. This just flowed as if from a stream of consciousness that was bursting to come out. So powerful so down to earth and most relatable. I will want to save it and read it over and over. A simply wonderful piece of writing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thanks Dara. glad it touched you - could only touch a good, caring soul. your kind thoughts are we.. read more
I'm really thankful to Emmajoy for read-requesting this lovely poem. I have no words for it, except that, it's beautiful.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you Esther for your kind acknowledgement. it is well appreciated ... :)
It is such a pleasure to read through your writes.. Won't know where Thoreau ends and you begin or your words and thoughts are intertwined with the poet. I found your long writes soothing and lucid.. Keep it up friend

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you. your time and thoughts are well appreciated ... :)
Shweta

5 Years Ago

You are welcome..
A beautifully scribed poem. 🤗🙏

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you kindly for sharing your thoughts. it is appreciated ... :)
heavenscentgirl1

5 Years Ago

You are very welcome Sir 👍
A powerful journey in your words. Life is a teacher. Some bad and some good. Funny how we will change places with our elders. You took the reader on a honest journey leading to a realistic ending. Thank you Pete for sharing your words and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you ... :)
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Pete.
Beautiful poem, Pete. The world is a dark place, but as children, we perceive it through a rose-tinted lens. Very relatable piece, striking the core of what every person will go through; the sad truth is that everyone will lose their innocence in this world, sooner or later. I often wish the world could be as a child perceives it; free of darkness and pain.

Keep up the great work!

-Derekv

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

stunning ...i believe every word of this ...certainly written from the heart ...how innocent we all once were ..sadly true that it doesn't last long as the "world" tears away at it ... your story draws the empathy from me and connects me to your speaker .. the first person voice works so well .. because its not really all about the "I" in it ... i was blasted when i reached your closing 8 lines .. the turn is such a reality check ... everyone should read this one .. there is certainly something in it for each
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

we don't realize how much life steals from us & changes us. very complete and astute review. you c.. read more
The world is such a thief and we so generously hand our souls over..to be 'worldly" ...when our hearts and our pockets were full before we emptied them. Your poem brought to the front so many emotions...even as a poet, I cannot explain. It is truly stellar!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

you speak a sad truth Queen. we don't realize how much it steals from us. thank you. your thought.. read more
This poem is excellent. I believe it should be published.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you for the kind review (Jack). your thoughts are appreciated ... :)
wow. i can get a lot of emotions out of this. you clearly are a wise person who has compassion. your innocence is not something to be ashamed of! i would like to see more people like you in the world. my favorite part is when you say there are times where you laughed when others didnt and didnt laugh when others did. you are different. a good different too. something this world needs. i enjoyed this very much and the first part had me nostalgic for my junior high years... not all the weed and sex though; i mean the friends and fun and jokes that are long forgotten...
i love this peice...
~sarah Allen

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

thank you sarah. so kind of you to share thoughts. i like how you remember the important things - .. read more
LazerRays

5 Years Ago

Thank you too :3 that makes me smile. i like making people happy

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1936 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 29, 2018
Last Updated on January 29, 2021

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
No Railing No Railing

A Poem by Pete



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..