Nuts

Nuts

A Story by Samuel Dickens
"

The forest is full of them!

"

 

One fine autumn morning, Bobby Bushy-tale gathered nuts from the forest floor and stacked them in a pile. Humming and chattering, he scampered happily about.

Acorns, pecans, and hickory nuts; what good and plentiful food there is, and all within easy distance of home! Oh, how I love collecting nuts! Oh, how I love to run and climb and breathe the sweet autumn air!

Among the brightly colored leaves, Bobby's red fur made him nearly invisible to the hawks and eagles flying overhead. "Just a wild leaf fluttering in the wind," they'd think.

Walnuts--that's what I need to complete this pile!

Bobby ran herky-jerky toward the nearest black walnut tree, which was at the edge of his territory.

Far enough, but not too far! Yes, this tree is the perfect distance.

Looking back at his oak tree, he remarked, "Home, I can still see you!"

Something rustled in a nearby bush, followed by what sounded like quiet sobbing.

Bobby quickly climbed halfway up the walnut tree and looked down. There, in the suspect bush sat a strange squirrel, rubbing tears from its eyes.

Bobby called out, "Hey, you down there! What's with the sadness?"

Looking up, the squirrel replied, "When I heard you say 'home', it made my poor heart crack."

"I haven't cracked no hearts, man! What do you mean? The forest is full of trees with homes in 'em!"

"Yes, but none of them are my home."

Bobby jumped down from the tree and stood face to face with the homeless squirrel.

"What's your name, Mister?"

Not making eye contact, the squirrel replied, "Edwin."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Edwin. I'm Bobby Bushy-tale. Now tell me what your dad-blamed problem is!"

Edwin looked at Bobby with eyes that wouldn't quite stay engaged and said, "Uh, well, we don't have anywhere to live."

"We don't? You mean there's more of you?"

Edwin cleared his throat, then said, "My family is hiding nearby."

Bobby scratched his ear and squinted one eye. "Man, this situation is sad! Not only are you out here without a home to fill with nuts for the winter, but you've got your whole dad-blamed family living outdoors, too! What happened to your home--did a giant owl throw you out?"

"No, uh..."

"Come on! A woodpecker?"

"Men cut our tree down! We've prayed to Grampa Muncher for a new tree, but he hasn't given us one yet!"

"Oh, my goodness," said Bobby. "Grampa Muncher? I think if I was you, I'd quit waiting on him and go find my family a home."

Edwin got an angry look and replied, "I guess you must not believe in Grampa!"

"I believe in the wind, sun, and rain. I believe these delicious nuts lying everywhere will feed you through the winter, if you have a dad-blamed home to store them in!"

Edwin told him, "I don't like you!"

"Fine," said Bobby. "I was going to show you a strong tree with a big hole in it where a beehive used to be, but I guess it wouldn't suit you."

Bobby began walking away while Edwin stood with his arms crossed and lower lip stuck out.

A small figure popped out of the bush behind Edwin and cried, "Wait! Daddy, don't let him go!"

"Shhhh, be quiet, Maggie!" growled Edwin.

Bobby turned around and came back. "Is this your daughter?"

Still frowning, Edwin told him, "If you must know--yes."

"Alright, so, you're going to let this child suffer because I don't believe as you do?"

An adult female came out of the bush, dragging a small male with her. "I'm his wife, Tabitha, and this is our son, Andrew. Please, show us the tree!"

Bobby's left eye twitched, his fur bristled, and his teeth clattered.

"You... you're not going to attack me, are you?" squeaked Edwin.

Bobby didn't reply to Edwin, but looked at Tabitha and said, "Madam, if you'd like, follow me."

Tabitha took her two children in tow and followed Bobby. Edwin walked a good distance behind, mumbling, "Following a non-believer--no good can come of this."

A few moments later, they stood before a fine, large elm. "This is it," said Bobby. "I'd move into it myself, but it's too big for just one. Just right for a family, though."

"Thank you, thank you, Bobby!" said Tabitha, and she and the children scampered up the tree. Edwin stood with a sour look and grumbled, "Our old tree was an oak."

Bobby walked away, thoroughly disgusted.

Incompetent! Incorrigible!  That Edwin is the worst squirrel I've ever met! Well, at least his wife and children have a dad-blamed home, now. I'll need to keep an eye on them.

The next morning, as Bobby ate a delicious nutty breakfast, he heard Edwin barking orders from across the way. Quietly, so as to not be noticed, Bobby sneaked closer.

"Maggie, I told you not to gather hickory nuts! Andrew--you, too! We red squirrels are only supposed to eat acorns!"

Bobby jumped up on a fallen log, cracked open a wild hickory nut and began eating it.

"Look, Daddy," said Maggie, pointing at Bobby, "he's eating one!"

Edwin told her, "Yes, but he's a heathen!" Glaring angrily at Bobby, he yelled, "I'll thank you not to corrupt my children!"

Bobby said nothing and scampered away, back toward his tree.

It's no use. That Edwin has a head full of stupid. I pity his poor wife and children.

Over the next weeks, Bobby made daily checks on Edwin's family, usually from atop a tall pine adjacent to their elm. Concealed behind bunches of thick pine needles, his presence went unnoticed. On the first cold, frosty morning of the season, he observed Edwin's wife, son and daughter sifting through the hoary leaves and twigs for acorns, but finding few.

Maggie and Andrew aren't growing. They have no fat to see them through the winter. They've eaten nearly all the acorns in this area, and to gather more, they'd have travel. With hungry hawks about, traveling is dangerous. I've got an idea.

Several pine cones were within easy reach, so Bobby collected some of their small, thin nuts and dropped them.

Look out below, it's raining food!

The pine nuts floated and flitted down like tiny leaves, and one landed on Andrew's nose. Looking about to see if anyone watched, he quickly pulled it into his mouth with his tongue.

"Mmmm, that tastes good!" he thought. Another one fell on his head, and he grabbed it and ate it, too.

Maggie heard him smacking, and asked, "What's that in your mouth?  Are you eating something?"

Andrew giggled, grabbed a pine nut that flitted past, and ate it. "These things," he whispered.

Bobby let more pine nuts fly.

Maggie caught one and ate it. "They're much more yummy than acorns! I  like them!"

"Yes, much, much better!" said Andrew. "We mustn't tell our father, though. He'll get angry."

Maggie and Andrew ate pine nuts until Bobby feared they'd get a belly ache and quit releasing them.

Heh heh, I've taught those two to enjoy pine nuts! Tomorrow, I'll make it rain pecans.

Bobby dropped pecan meats the next day, hickory nuts the day after that, and then black walnuts. Every day for five weeks, he sprinkled various kinds of nuts from atop the tall pine and watched  the children run about, stuffing their bellies. Not only was it fun, but Bobby felt good inside for doing it.

Look how fat they are! Now, winter will not seem so cold. There must be more I can do for them.

Autumn's bright red and gold leaves soon turned brown, and the first few snowflakes fell. From his high perch in the evergreen tree, Bobby watched with delight as Maggie and Andrew ran excitedly about, catching little crystalline doilies on their tongues.

Giddy with happiness, Andrew cried, "Sister, what are they?"

Maggie replied, "I don't know, but I'm sure they come from the same place as all those nuts! Eat them, eat them!"

Bobby dropped several whole, unshelled walnuts, pecans and hickory nuts. Last, he dropped a pine cone that, when it hit the ground, sent little, flat goodies flying into the air.

As before, the children caught the pine nuts on their tongues.

"Andrew, uh, I... "

"Yes, Maggie, I know! There's good food inside of them!"

Bobby observed as the two gnawed into the nuts he'd dropped and discovered the prize within. His mission accomplished, he returned to his cozy home in the oak tree. That night, a bright moon lit the snow-covered forest. Gazing out at the wondrous sight, Bobby saw in the distance three figures  digging nuts from the snow and eating them.

Heh-heh, they're teaching their mother where food is. I'm glad--she was looking very thin. Before you know it, ol' Edwin small-mind will be eating all manner of nuts, too. Thank you for your help, Grampa Muncher. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you about something. I think I'd make an excellent father, but, uh, I'd need a wife.

The next spring, warmth returned to the woods, bringing forth green leaves and grass. Squirrels scampered across the forest floor, including Edwin and his family. Looking fit as fiddles, they'd all survived the long winter just fine.

Strolling leisurely by with a pretty female on his arm, Bobby told them, "Greetings, everyone! You're all looking well!"

Tabitha smiled and replied, "And a fine spring day greeting to you, too, Bobby. Who's this lovely lady you're with?"

"This is my new wife,  Greta. We're going to start a family!" 

Everyone but Edwin told Greta 'hello' and shook her hand.

"Well, we've got to go on, now," said Bobby. "I promised to show Greta the beautiful blossoms on yon peach tree. Have a nice day!"

Bobby and Greta continued on their romantic walk and disappeared around the big, fallen log.

"Aren't they a sweet-looking couple?" said Tabitha.

Maggie got a dreamy look and sighed, "I wish someone would take me to see that peach tree."

Andrew giggled and fiddled with his ear.

Edwin boomed, "There goes the neighborhood!"

Tabitha asked him, "What do you mean, dear?"

"Didn't you see what color she was? She's one of those awful grey squirrels! When those two make babies, we're gonna have little grey suckers all over the place, EATING ALL OUR NUTS!"

 

© 2018 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
I meant this as a light-hearted children's tale, but the subject of prejudice and narrow-mindedness is something I'm very serious about.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Having worked with a wide range of nationalities, I found that their "cultural" differences were no bar to their skills and knowledge. Often their background experiences would give me a new insight when faced with a technical problem that Ì would bury in complicated reasoning.
Your story reminded me of those days and the "superior" snobbery against colour and foreign names that was so prevalent at that time.
Unfortunately, Sam, the "Orange One" will never read this.

Norman




Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Oh, that orange one, he's got to go. Not one redeeming quality does he/it have. I was introduced to .. read more



Reviews

your little squirrel is much more redeeming than is a huge segment of society
Very well written

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, the little guy sets a good example.
Having worked with a wide range of nationalities, I found that their "cultural" differences were no bar to their skills and knowledge. Often their background experiences would give me a new insight when faced with a technical problem that Ì would bury in complicated reasoning.
Your story reminded me of those days and the "superior" snobbery against colour and foreign names that was so prevalent at that time.
Unfortunately, Sam, the "Orange One" will never read this.

Norman




Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Oh, that orange one, he's got to go. Not one redeeming quality does he/it have. I was introduced to .. read more
A wonderful story with a timeless moral. This was lighthearted and fanciful and chock full of good lessons. Hats off to you sir, this was a great story!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

5 Years Ago

Thank you, my friend.
I love the way you craft these playful critter stories with a serious lesson hiding within. It's much more than just a lesson about prejudice . . . it's also a good example of how people can make incremental progress when trying to be the solution we'd like to see. Sometimes improvements come dreadfully slowly, but your story helps us believe in the power of little changes! *smile* Despite being written a few years ago, this story gets more relevant every year! *smile* Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Margie. Yes, prejudice still thrives. I've meant to do an update on this one but... well, yo.. read more
We never learn, do we? This is a wonderful childrens tsle Samuel. All kids are colour blind, until they learn the same mistakes that are passed on like a faulty gene.Kids know automatically good and bad, it is only when they learn from the ignorant, they get fooled into believing it as truth, from people who should know better.
Superbly done, as ever.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thank you, and you're very correct.
A perfect story for the recent events that have occurred Sam. Sometimes the message comes across even more clearly in the form of a lighthearted tale. Thank you so much for posting this. It was entertaining as well as meaningful!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Dara. I wrote this one in the autumn and thought it was appropriate for the season, but it s.. read more
We are all gods creatures no matter our creed or the color of our skin, all born equal. you have my admiration Sam, I hope children read this very wonderfull tale.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

10 Years Ago

You're so right, Will. Thank you.
Cute story. Edwin has a lot to learn.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Eileen. That Edwin--I don't know if there's any hope for him.
Even squirrels, eh? This was clever and cute and relatively error free, so no worries there. Thank you so much for posting this. I enjoyed reading it.

-kimmer

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Kimmer. Sometimes I try to speak my mind about society's ailments in subtle ways.
KAOlmsted

11 Years Ago

Nothing subtle about this ;-) You certainly made your point.

:-D
This story sent me back in time to my childhood; the days of my older brother reading stories to me when our parents were out for the night. I rank this as a children's classic the moment you pressed the pen to the paper. Great story, I can't wait to read another.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm most appreciative.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

900 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2012
Last Updated on September 22, 2018

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lucy Lucy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Emilina Emilina

A Story by Samuel Dickens