what happened?

what happened?

A Story by emily
"

just something that happens to me frequently. i needed to put it into words.

"
the night is young. my friends crack jokes, i throw my head back and cackle. we eat together. get into heated but humorous debates that ends up in us cracking up once again. things could go from discussing what happened to if han solo didn't shoot first, to where we came from. who we are. the belief of a higher power but not necessarily god. 
i feel content. 
but i suddenly plummet from the ninth cloud, hitting the concrete.
i thought the cloud was stable enough to hold me for the time being. i sit up in dazed confusion. 
i'm now separated from my friends. i leave them suddenly, abandoning them in a dustcloud of confusiona and concern.
the drive back home is melancholy. 
i stare out the window into the dark night sky.
i think of what happened a moment ago.
the plummet.
i know what the cause was.
yet i still have the nerve to ask myself,
"what happened?"

© 2020 emily


Author's Note

emily
ignore the lowercase. i think it's aesthetic lmao

sorry if it's confusing. up to interpretation for others, i guess.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

like a personal journal entry .. i think there is a lot of substance in this .. hails me back to "the day" ..when friends were the all ... such comaraderie ...we thought they would never end ;) yes...since you went with punctuation .. the lower case may ilk some :))))))))))))) not to their fault mind you ;} i like the bookend title and closing .. works for me! the "what happened" or "what just happened" ... is such a tragedy ...as words and passions are mixed into toxic conversations .. lovers, families, good friends can forever be lost .. great theme says i, emily! you have a fine strength in setting a scene and spinning a yarn ...once again .. nice to meet you!
E.
ps https://youtu.be/y3KEhWTnWvE

Posted 3 Years Ago


This was really nice! I feel like it really represents a night with your friends and could be interpreted in different ways, but what I saw it as was either when nights go too fast, you take them for granted, or even when your nerves get the best of you and you have to go home to take ahold of your emotions and regret it.
It gave me a really specific feeling I've felt like we've all felt before, but it is all up to interpretation like you said! Keep writing, this was great.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 18, 2020
Last Updated on September 18, 2020
Tags: descriptive, metaphor, story, friends, sad

Author

emily
emily

About
writer (obviously) she/her INFP artist more..

Writing
satisfaction satisfaction

A Poem by emily


cherry blossom cherry blossom

A Poem by emily