Wyvern: Celtic Dragon

Wyvern: Celtic Dragon

A Story by Jofer Serapio
"

I didn't publish it in our school paper. That is why.

"

           People knew me once as the timid student. I never spoke out loud, nor did I lift any finger of mine to anyone. I preferred the darkness of seclusion. I did not intend to know anyone, to make friends. I remained by myself. I wanted to be by myself.

            I was full of grief and hatred of my past that I still do not want to share. I do not want to make friends or be known for the fear I might bring grief to whoever comes close to me. I was a certified loner, a weirdo. I was not a geek, a nerd, a jock, a prankster. I was an outsider.

            But things changed. Evolution happened. I understood more of life, I gained knowledge, I found my life. I then knew it was wrong to stay alone. I then knew I was wrong to fear a past that will never return. I felt confident of myself. All because of one person: my angel, Mimi.

            She was very, very understanding. Like a mentor, she taught me what I needed to know about life, about social life. She made me feel, even though I tried my best to stay away from her and seem to not care, that I had someone to count on when I fall.

            Then fate made fun of me. In a blink of an eye, our friendship was no more. By miscommunication, it was all undone. The laughter, the joy, the fun…. By a single saboteur, nothing was left, nothing was to remain. She became cold towards me. She refused to talk, to even listen. It was a nightmare of all nightmares.

            From the ashes of a friendship I still cherish, remnants of what she taught me still remained. She imbued my body with a new soul. I was more human than I was before her. I started making more friends, relationships with more people soon followed. Yet, I still miss her. Her absence made me felt something was missing from me. In due time I knew, what was missing from me was my purpose in life.

            Before her, my purpose was to contain all my grief, anger, and pain to myself. To never share them, to keep them all for myself, so that I will not be able to inflict pain on others.

            With her, my purpose was to be with her. There was no doubt I wanted it to be that way. I wanted to never lose her because she made me feel I was never to be alone again. It was not perfect and we did have our share of squabbles but the fact that she did not desert me was proof of life for me.

            Days passed, I grew tired of believing. I grew tired of making friends. I grew tired of living and missing her. I instilled in myself an exaggeration that everyone was inferior to me. Everyone, who gets things without desrving them, should rot and die. I was the best, the only soul deserving to keep on living. I did not give respect for anybody else but myself.

            Then one day, I was obligated to fulfil what I once promised and which was entirley my responsibility. I was to work with people I knew but who I did not knew wholly.

            I did my part. It was over. Win or lose, I did not care. Some died a glorious battle, I did not understood what was so glorious about dying.

            Then I met the girl, who I was responsible of during my responsibility, again. She was crying in a corner. Like a cat, she was curled up tight. Tears rolling down her cheeks, I heard her loud whines and sobs. I did not feel anything, I was numb. Crying made her seem weak to me. I believed she deserved to die.

            Then I heard her ask me she was sorry. I could not help but ask why. She said she let me down. I told her I did not care about the outcome. She stopped talking and started easing herself down. I could not feel anything but I sat down next to her.

            “A friend once told me, we do what we do. You did what you needed to do. It was your men’s incapability and unreadiness that made you fall. It was not your fault, It was no one’s fault.”, I told her and she seemed delighted of what I said.

            I smiled at her but she returned the favor by crying. I still felt nothing but by some unknown force, I hugged her. It was weird. I hate each and everyone and yet I hugged someone. Maybe it was because I felt she was having the same grief as I was.

            “You don’t unerstand! I am to die tomorrow because I failed. The court wants me to be hanged. But I deserve that. I am worthless!”, she said with such pain. She hid her face in my chest as she talked and cried. It was as if I felt her to be a part of me.

            I reassured her that I would talk to the members of the court. She told me to not do so and made me promise. I am a man of my word and never have I broken a promise. I told her what she wanted to hear and she stopped crying.

            That night, I made my way to the courtroom. I talked with the chairperson and made agreements. He agreed. As I left, I could not hide the smile on my face. Tomorrow would be a new beginning for all of us, I was sure.

            The sun shone brightly before the Earth. It was a new day, a new beginning, to write my own history. I made my way to the Central where the execution of herself would happen. I saw her on the opposing view.

            She was blatantly covering her tears with a smile. She made her way to be hanged but a soldier stopped her. I saw the shocked look on her face. She burst in tears as she looked at me. I bowed my head, she tried to run towards me but the surrounding soldiers stopped her. I smiled at her, blinked, and everything went black.

            She did not deserve to be hanged. I saw her dedication, I saw her will to do the right thing, when I worked with her. Compared to me, she deserves life more. That’s why I did it.

            To find my purpose in life is happiness for me. I’d die again for any of my friends if it means they’d be happy living a happier life with those they love.

© 2008 Jofer Serapio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Jofer Serapio
Jofer Serapio

Paranaque City, Metro Manila, and Kalibo, Aklan, Philippines



About
Pepe | bibliophile | coffee junkie | (pro)feminist | straight edge | writer Script Frenzy 2011 Art has no boundaries This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-.. more..

Writing