Coffee Break: Opinions

Coffee Break: Opinions

A Story by Jofer Serapio
"

Random thoughts of boredom

"

 

Boredom was keeping me company one Saturday afternoon. My mom, my sister, and everyone else seemed to have flown far away, leaving me behind in isolation, without even a single can of Nescafe Latte.

 

While lying flat on my back, staring madly at the ceiling which I believed was continually mocking my caffeine-less veins, I decided to put a stop to all the insanity. It was time to get my Latte.

 

The funny thing about being alone is the fact that you’d get two things: boredom and serenity. Too much of either side would make anyone insane but that never happened to me. That or I was already insane.

 

As I continued to walk on, pursuing my coffee urges, I began thinking and recollecting with my thought and then with myself.

 

Earlier that day, I was able to go online and log on my Multiply page. From there, I was able to read the blog entry of ‘roeyj1409’ which was entitled, “ako’y nagmamahal, ikaw?” Translated in English, that would mean, “I love, how about you?”

 

She talked about the different views when it came to being loved and loving someone. It’s an often used topic, a theme that pretty much gets thrown around by writers. It’s an age old plot, made to confuse and strengthen life’s warriors: teenagers and adults alike.

 

As I continued to think about her statements, about my own views on the subject at hand, I came across another truth that I very well knew: I loved my province.

 

Yeah, I know. It has nothing to do with what the blog had been about but as I told you before, coffee was my brain’s trigger.

 

I was born in a city, Caloocan, which was near the capital of my country. However, I grew up in a province, Aklan.

 

As I recounted my life, as I unraveled my journeys through life, I couldn’t stop my brain from telling me I love this place a thousand times over.

 

It was peaceful here, calming and not a worry in sight for me. You could actually hear nature talk to you when you listen real close. The winds whisper their stories, their tales, to vagabonds as they walk by. You could see nature at its best: green trees, azure skies, and the familiar and soothing country air.

 

There aren’t that many noisy cars from where we live. Not that much pollution. Not that much smoke, not that much fuming tempers. Relatively, you could always be sure that the water you drink isn’t contaminated. That reminded me of a Jay Leno episode where the Great Jay said NYC water was contaminated with fecal matter.

 

In its defense, however, they say the city is the center for knowledge, for progress, for development. They say you could learn a lot from the city, you could learn valuable lessons to help shape your life, to ready you for your future.

 

I don’t know if that’s true and I won’t say I believe it. Here’s what I know however:

 

I hate the smoke, the fumes, the carbon monoxide I inhale everyday in the city.

I hate the countless inconsiderate people who bump at you without saying sorry in the city.

I hate the noise the fights about fish balls make in the city.

I hate the ignorance, the sheer overconfidence, and the lack of ethics and grace in the city.

I hate the overzealous teachings of the city, the stealing of dignity and logic, replacing them with pride and folly.

            I find it funny that country mice are smarter than city mice, that city mice are always led by the wikiality than reality.

Business ethics is different from real ethics.

Being in a mango tree does not make you a mango.

You can’t buy friendship with medals and ribbons.

Bravery isn’t just about stepping up; it’s knowing when to step up.

I love to visit the city but I won’t be living in one, not in a million years.

I love the sincerity of the country, the reality of everything even the fights.

I love the simplicity and the intricacy of life in the country.

I find it funny that the only draw in the city is business while the only draw in the country is fun and relaxation.

 

Those are just my opinions. Everyone has their own take in everything now. Sometimes, it even gives me reason to doubt if anything is right for everyone anymore.

 

Just because most people think its true doesn’t really make it true. But then again, what is truth anyway?

© 2009 Jofer Serapio


Author's Note

Jofer Serapio
Image Disclaimer: I do not own the image included. I just found that it suited my piece so there you go. Special thanks to the original artist.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

so true Jofer, so true.
I myself have moved many times, everytime I left a house as a kid I cried, I would miss it and the memories etched in the walls, within the gardens, it all has that special value. I havn'r ever really lived "in" a city. Though even now in the suburbs of Perth cannot compare to living on a small island with a population less than 200, or a big property 30kms from town. sure there was no real shops or anything but then I was young and back then all I needed was a tree and my imagination. Even now I just feel better in the enviroment rather confined to buildings, and where is the architexture of the past where so much effort was put it to give it a wonderful feel, like art. Not this modern architexture s**t, i mean like proper art where you think about it or can admire it....
I like your last question "what is the truth anyway?"
this is the theme of my novel-in-progress 'boxes of truth" that i was thinking of adding to these holidays, that and a story about "death cheaters" but thats another kettle of fish.
anyway back on track nice write, reminds me of my wednesdays when I am home alone, with boredo and blis!
well done,
~Jaz


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"truth? there is no truth. we look for it not because it is lost but because we are." - dark oracle :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

so true Jofer, so true.
I myself have moved many times, everytime I left a house as a kid I cried, I would miss it and the memories etched in the walls, within the gardens, it all has that special value. I havn'r ever really lived "in" a city. Though even now in the suburbs of Perth cannot compare to living on a small island with a population less than 200, or a big property 30kms from town. sure there was no real shops or anything but then I was young and back then all I needed was a tree and my imagination. Even now I just feel better in the enviroment rather confined to buildings, and where is the architexture of the past where so much effort was put it to give it a wonderful feel, like art. Not this modern architexture s**t, i mean like proper art where you think about it or can admire it....
I like your last question "what is the truth anyway?"
this is the theme of my novel-in-progress 'boxes of truth" that i was thinking of adding to these holidays, that and a story about "death cheaters" but thats another kettle of fish.
anyway back on track nice write, reminds me of my wednesdays when I am home alone, with boredo and blis!
well done,
~Jaz


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

caffeine... to be addicted and be without access... that would be a tuff day to get thru, strike one!! Going to the cafe to get a dose only to find it packed with people when all one really wanted was some quiet peace to think... strike two!! I hope you can remain in the country and that the metropolis does not invade that quiet peaceful place so you may avoid strike three.

Truth... what is it? I think it's different for every being on the planet which might be why we as a whole have so much trouble trying to "get along"... ? Fine write... I like it very much!! Bear

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2008
Last Updated on January 19, 2009

Author

Jofer Serapio
Jofer Serapio

Paranaque City, Metro Manila, and Kalibo, Aklan, Philippines



About
Pepe | bibliophile | coffee junkie | (pro)feminist | straight edge | writer Script Frenzy 2011 Art has no boundaries This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-.. more..

Writing