Christmas Day

Christmas Day

A Story by Quinn W
"

The Christmases around you. Be thankful, be very thankful.

"

Sally and Nick:

            "It's Christmas, Nick! It's Christmas, Nick," Sally yelled whilst jumping on her older brother, Nick's, bed. He sat up and gently pushed her aside so he could get out of bed. He waved her out of his room to go wake up their parents.

            Nick went to his dresser to change his clothes, knowing pictures would be taken this morning. He didn't want others to see him in the state he was in currently. He walked over to the bathroom connected to his room, and washed his face. Then, he ran gel through his hair to keep the fly aways down.

            Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud.

            Sally was already running down the staircase, ready to unwrap all the presents under the tree. Nick followed in suit. He ran down the stairs, nearly bumping into his mother.

            "Okay, you two, smile for the picture!" she said, pushing Nick and Sally together. Nick wrapped his arm around Sally and smiled. He hoped this would be the only picture taken this morning.

            Sally immediately ran to the Christmas tree, picking out all of her presents and shoving everyone else's aside. Nick walked over to the tree after Sally was finished and picked his up as well.

            "Nick, honey, open your presents first," his mother said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Nick gathered up his remote control helicopter, iPhone 6 Plus, Xbox games, and new PSP. He quickly took them upstairs to play with them. Sally grabbed her American Girl doll, barbies, makeup, and smelly pens as well. She ran upstairs to play with her new toys and set her doll on her shelf with the others.



David and Robbie
"David, wake up," Robbie whispered to his brother. David woke up and held his hand out. Robbie took it and hopped into his twin bed with him, not wanting to be in his, one the other side of the room, alone,. David glanced at his alarm clock: 4:12 AM. His dad definitely wouldn't be awake for a while. He got out of bed and turned his box tv on. He used the buttons to turn to channel 56. Robbie loved watching Christmas movies when he woke up too early on Christmas. 
Robbie smiled and they watched various movies until their dad came in to take them to the living room. Robbie bounced up and down when he saw the train set in the corner. He'd wanted one for two years and his dad had finally saved up enough to buy it for him.
He walked up to David and rested his hand on his other son's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Dave," he said. David nodded and hugged his father, completely understanding. 
He walked over to his brother and sat down next to him. He made train noises while Robbie pushed the trains around the wooden track. They spent their entire day like this, six year old Robbie pushing the trains and rebuilding the track, and seventeen year old David playing along. It was their best day in a long while. David just wished his mother were here to enjoy it with them.


Henry
Henry woke to the beeping of his alarm clock. 4:30 AM. He reached over and hit the button to stop the noise. He didn't want to wake his mother before she went off to work at the fast food restaurant down the street. He quickly got dressed and grabbed his newspaper bag and gloves. As he walked out the door, he grabbed his bike helmet. He rode off, down the hill to get the papers to deliver.
He couldn't wait until his mom came home with leftovers from the McDonald's Christmas lunch. They could have those sweet apple pies they had every year, while being all wrapped up in blankets, drinking hot chocolate.


Michael
"Hey you! Get up! You can't sleep here!" Michael felt a harsh kick in his side. He looked up and saw a man in a winter coat. Oh, how much he would give to have that coat. "Get out of here you filthy rat!"
Michael walked away, headed to the library a few streets over. There, he could get peace and quiet and, most importantly, warmth. He rubbed his naked arms and walked.
When he got to the library, he walked in. The warm air hit him quickly. He almost started crying, it felt so good. He sat down in a comfortable chair, much more comfortable than the bench he sat on yesterday. He was there for an hour or so, when a librarian walked up to him.
"I'm sorry, sir. But, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. It's in the rules. I'm sorry."
Michael nodded and headed for the door. "Sir?" he heard the librarian call again. He turned back to her and she motioned for him to come closer.
"Merry Christmas," she said with a smile. 
"Merry Christmas. And God bless," he replied with a grin and walked back out into the cold. It was the first time in years, he'd heard that phrase.




Be thankful for what you have this Christmas and spend the most time you can with your family.

© 2016 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your stories triggered some memories of my life, with my mother and brother but well I will never have those days anymore... Very well set up of the message Quinn, the best thing you did was taking the path of writing stories to serve the message... Well done my frnd, happy holidays to you, may your holidays be the best with your family and loved ones...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


As I've interpreted these stories, it seems like Nick and Sally had the worst Christmas ... all they got were the material goods while everyone else received love and happiness ~ things you can't buy at a store : )

I loved the message of this piece and how you conveyed it breifly and subtly ... you didn't take the traditional route and hammer the message in the reader's face. My favorite story had to be the one with Henry as I find it relatable and thought-provoking. The other ones were too, but for some reason, that one stuck out the most ... there's something about the warmth of a mother's love and hot chocolate that got to me.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I agree with you completely. A Christmas means nothing without love. Thanks for t.. read more
This is brilliant. This is the poster child for the first rule of writing: SHOW don't tell. You have demonstrated your meaning with these well-selected & nicely-detailed word portraits of different holiday expectations. Each scene is conveyed so briefly, but also very completely, exactly what we need to know to follow the thread of your overall meaning. The way your mind works is the strongest aspect of your writing, but the mechanics are always strong & well-executed, too. I love reminding people that it's not always a bunch of fluffy material things that make up different people's holidays.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Exactly. I'm so glad you got the meaning. I was wondering if it was clear enough. Thank you so much .. read more
Very beautiful Quinn ! I really enjoy the holiday spirit in this one

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 18, 2016
Last Updated on December 19, 2016
Tags: Christmas, thankfulness

Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..