Mummy

Mummy

A Poem by Einstein Noodle
"

The definitions in Author's Note are brief and plagiarized from various sources .. Egyptian Culture and Ancient Beliefs are far more complex; oversimplifying is not my intention ;)

"
Mummy

Honest brutality in this dying.
Would you agree?
Reapers cutting edge dissecting 
Mowing lineage with glee.

Ka

Fruitful symbiosis ensconced on
meaty walls entombed.
Seedling treasures imploring
from the tomb

Ba

packaging an empty shell
imploring selfish need
obstructed by the greedy
ignoring innocent seed

Akh

highest of all attainment
living justly before the Hall
my life, my body and 
most of all My Soul


Mummy


Mummy wrapped spices beleaguer 
Disembodied heart and liver
Frees the dead                alive
relegating for profit ...another fetus shivers

E.

© 2019 Einstein Noodle


Author's Note

Einstein Noodle
Ptah-Ptah is the Creator god par excellence: He is considered the demiurge who existed before all other things, and by his willfulness, thought the world into being.
Egyptian soul ka: the spiritual part of an individual human being or god, which survived (with the soul) after death and could reside in a statue of the person.
ba: spiritual entity; the part of the soul that could travel between the worlds of the living and the dead; has need for food etc.
akh: the transfigured spirit that survived death and mingled with the gods; only those judged worthy were gifted the akh ..criminals for instance would not get this part of the soul.
Mummies were initiated as a result of the Egyptian belief in re-incarnation and that if worthy a soul would need a body and worldly goods to "start over" ;) I tried to use the three parts of the soul to describe a perspective of the unborn and today's practice of abortion ..its a bit of a stretch, i know, but that was the intent with this one .. the title "Mummy" then becomes a somber play on words. Christine's poem "A Mummy's Viewpoint" takes on a very different social consciousness issue .. when I read it I was reminded of this old one and so resurrected it..if you haven't read Christine's poem you might like it: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/cassie58/2097687/

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

babies come out of the womb, reincarnated souls find their bodies and come out of the tomb.
always been fascinated with Mummies...and the idea of why they did that.
your explanation within your poem is quite intriguing.
one thing the mummies have that would be an advantage....is a lack of speed, being so wrapped up, they were very slow, at least in what we saw in movies...imagine actually slowing down like that in life...
we might enjoy it much more, savor it...
i am really enthralled by the way you put this together...all the short pieces connecting so beautifully..
and the idea of the fetus shivering...when the dead wake...
terrific poem
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

wow! thanks jacob ... really happy you dug into this one as you did ... yes ... we should all slow d.. read more



Reviews

Really wonderful explanation of why they did what they did. Today's zombie movies closely resemble the look of a mummy...the wrapped beings. Wouldn't we all want to keep our loved ones with us through eternity? In our memories we do, but the Egyptians had their mummies....and the souls were wrapped up there with them. It's all in what you believe, isn't it? E, you are always unique with your writing. That's what keeps me coming back to read more. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

yes... their beliefs are so interesting to me ... in such an ancient culture its the similarities to.. read more
Don't we all want to be reincarnated, and who knows, maybe we are.
Though I suppose when you're a mummy in the process of unbandaging yourself waiting for this baby entering the world, only to find the baby's been aborted. That's a real Egyptian conundrum.
Death is a great subject in every faith, and I'm definitely no different in my beliefs. I've left explicit instructions on my death that I be placed in the blue bin for recycling. This is actually the same as waiting in my Pyramid. Mainly cos it takes the council a thousand years to uplift the bloody bin. Great subject, Einstein.


Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

i am glad you are not terrified of your dying Paul ... that is probably a useless endeavor ... into .. read more
Thank you for your excellent tutorial E., as it enlightens ands helps us understand the themes in your metaphysical, thought-provoking poem. In the seamless flow of your graceful and balanced verses, you touch on many sacred mysteries of life and death through the filter of Egyptian beliefs. You add another layer to the ongoing theological and moral discussion. Wherever we take it, and whatever we believe individually, it is an Intriguing, profound and fascinating write my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

wow Annette .. your review is a writers dream ... thank you so much ... you read it and feel it and .. read more
babies come out of the womb, reincarnated souls find their bodies and come out of the tomb.
always been fascinated with Mummies...and the idea of why they did that.
your explanation within your poem is quite intriguing.
one thing the mummies have that would be an advantage....is a lack of speed, being so wrapped up, they were very slow, at least in what we saw in movies...imagine actually slowing down like that in life...
we might enjoy it much more, savor it...
i am really enthralled by the way you put this together...all the short pieces connecting so beautifully..
and the idea of the fetus shivering...when the dead wake...
terrific poem
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

wow! thanks jacob ... really happy you dug into this one as you did ... yes ... we should all slow d.. read more
omg, it's so hard to believe these beliefs, but even so i found this quite gave me the chills .

Who knows ? the ancients certainly had a lot of knowledge that outstrips some of our thinking ...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

i agree ... lots of faith and mystery, magick and mystics in Egyptian beliefs ... in my remarks to .. read more
Stella Armour

5 Years Ago

yes, i too think there is no one specific religion, we are here for a reason to learn and be ready .. read more
Ah Mr E. Thank you for posting your Mummy poem as requested. Also I am thankful for the author's notes to aid understanding. You have managed to capture a complex subject into five mini poems. A totally fascinating subject, which I studied at school, and continue to do so even now given the opportunity. Thank you also for your very generous mention of my efforts from a much simpler perspective. One day I would like to visit Egypt. In the meantime I make do with the wonderful TV documentaries which do so much to extend our knowledge. Each one of your stanzas is a poem in its own right. I once saw a programme on TV about the mummification of a man. That's what he wanted and that's what he got. His wife made sure of that and the process was recorded for TV. Of all your mini poems, the final one I found most hard hitting because that covers the matter of abortion. It's always a pleasure to read your work, you have such a fine mind.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

thank you Chris ..for your friendship here and all your poetry ;) yes! Nat Geo is one of the best th.. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

ps. did you read Neville? he has been there .. and has something to help him remember it :)))))
You are bril our Gene and again, I aint talking fish.. you have ploughed so much into this single perfectly formed poem it its contents would over fill a dozen or more of the largest canopic jars... and then of course we can see the endless possibilities that begin to emerge when we look closer and see five perfectly poemed little gems, each one magnificent in its own rite, right and write... more cerebral than both my hemispheres combined.....Bravo my friend.. and yep have visited Chris's poem already.. another cracker... I once had my video recorder snatched off my arm as I was climbing down into one of the great pyramids in Cairo Egypt... got it back after a tussle but made to go back to the end of the queue... Neville x

Posted 5 Years Ago


Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

holy smokes Neville .. what an incredible visit .. made even more memorable by the attempted snatchi.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

Always more than just a pleasure, but summat to savour... N :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

661 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2019
Last Updated on March 7, 2019

Author

Einstein Noodle
Einstein Noodle

Pork Rind, AK



About
This morning as I began to log in to WC, it occurred to me what an inspiring and comfortable place this has become for me. There are so many talented people sharing, encouraging, teaching and learni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..