you don't want me

you don't want me

A Poem by girlandpen

So, who am I to you?
A girl who knows her name
And studied through
The years of school


It’s all a game I’ve learned to play


How well you glue the cracks
How long you hide the pain
Appease the claques
And train the brain


It’s fine; I’m fine; it’s all okay


And ‘neath that bright façade
A girl who’s filled with pain
A girl, a fraud
Stuck in the blame


I’m sorry; I swear; I’m sorry, please stay


You say I’m acting weak
But Mom, I’m just plain strong
When life looks bleak
I play along


Keep moving; it’s the only way


And when I showed you me
You said I was an act
Attention plea
You don’t like cracked


To Mom: the things I wish I could unsay


So, it’s not “Who am I?”
But who you want to see
You want a lie
You don’t want me

© 2017 girlandpen


Author's Note

girlandpen
any comments/suggestions help!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

O - M - Freaking - G! This started out giving off one vibe then it gave a sudden curveball into holy kwap! What emotion! What profundity! What musicality! Wow! "Attention plea" should begin with an "an" otherwise it looks like you were trying to write "please" but forgot to finish the word. This is otherwise amazingly written! Well freaking done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your words are raw and intense, and the whole poem feels relatable too! It's emotive, and moving, with a nice musical quality to it. Good writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is so relatable in several ways, the transition and flow of this piece is amazing. The emotion and profundity, as I read more of your works it just gets better and better. You are a very talented writer, and from what I've read a very strong individual :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Seems you did garner a fair bit of notice and comment already! I think you found a truism... parents "see" their expectations - though most will usually eventually accept realities.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A super poem , great lyrical tones and expressed in an effective style and way. Fine mod jaunty rocky rhyming and tune. Thumbs up.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Raw and intense truth in poetic form. You purely convey the frustration and pain we feel when forced to conform to others' expectations. And, when we reveal a glimpse of our original self, if not in accord with family or societal expectations, we're pushed back into that box.

The only thing I might change is the poem's title. Not certain what I'd recommend, but maybe just one or two words. I like the references to "cracks" and "glue," if that helps. Regardless, nice work. I look forward to reading more of your work.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow, this poem was amazing! Before I cut all ties with my mother, I felt the same way constantly. I definitely feel like my mother wanted to create me into whoever she wanted me to be, not who I was. It's so nice and sad to know that someone else understands the feeling. I'm sure you expressed it in a more beautiful way than I ever could. Wonderful job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I love this writing.
nicely done.
"Attention plea" I think that maybe 'plea' was supposed to be 'please'? correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted 6 Years Ago


O - M - Freaking - G! This started out giving off one vibe then it gave a sudden curveball into holy kwap! What emotion! What profundity! What musicality! Wow! "Attention plea" should begin with an "an" otherwise it looks like you were trying to write "please" but forgot to finish the word. This is otherwise amazingly written! Well freaking done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 23, 2017
Last Updated on December 23, 2017
Tags: mom, parent, family, child, anxiety, abuse, rejection, me, fraud, emotional

Author

girlandpen
girlandpen

About
just an 18 year old trying to find herself through writing... thanks for taking the time to read my random thoughts and venture through the jungle of my mind :) more..

Writing
The Poppy The Poppy

A Story by girlandpen


escape escape

A Poem by girlandpen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..