Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Lady

     Unable to break free from her mental paralysis, she remained there, a pale figure dressed for mourning, enclosed by the icy giants she and her husband had long ago sworn to protect - the trees. All that remained possible was an attempt to regain breath, and a frantic turn about in the center of the moonlit clearing.  She figured her pursuers had outsmarted her plan of escape, and so she was left with a focused feeling of panic and trepidation.

     “Please, help us…” she whispered aloud, her eyes following the tall trunks upward until finding the circle in which their peaks met. She closed her eyes and listened, taking in the wrestling pines as a breeze weaved through.

     Her husband had once said to her that the trees were unique…

     “They’re more alive than you think. In fact, they can hear us right now, every word. This forest is alive.” He was smiling at her, arms outstretched as they stood there together somewhere within the depths of the peaceful forest.

     She laughed, taking his hand. “What are you talking about? Thankfully I found you before you completely lost your mind.”

     He smiled again at her, but it wasn’t his usual content and mischievous smile, it was a sad smile, a crushed one. After all the years he spent in the forest, he had finally found someone to share his secrets with, the ones that kept him isolated here, yet even that wasn’t enough to free him.

     Her vision blurred as tears filled her eyes. She collapsed to her knees, quivering with fear, watching the sleeping child that lay bundled in her arms. The trees remained silent, towering over her with a frozen indifference.

     “Please…”

    

 



© 2011 Lady


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Short yet poignant, you can imagine snow flakes drifting upon the breeze of cold hardened silence, the memory a bitter-sweet one that holds an air of mystery, liking the story, intrigued. One small point, not sure if it was meant-if it was I am sorry for pointing it out- but in the third line the capitalized T on The, following a colon rather than a full-stop, and after the dialogue with the husband the full-stop could be replaced with a comma, and carried on with the sentence about smiling, however, if this is not how you want your dialogue to go then take no mind of me! Well done, wonderful writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Short yet poignant, you can imagine snow flakes drifting upon the breeze of cold hardened silence, the memory a bitter-sweet one that holds an air of mystery, liking the story, intrigued. One small point, not sure if it was meant-if it was I am sorry for pointing it out- but in the third line the capitalized T on The, following a colon rather than a full-stop, and after the dialogue with the husband the full-stop could be replaced with a comma, and carried on with the sentence about smiling, however, if this is not how you want your dialogue to go then take no mind of me! Well done, wonderful writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Oooh. Too short. I love this bit. I know something is going to happen, but not what. This bit has me chomping for the next bit.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like it so far! Though I think you could have made these last four chapters into two. Since most of this happens, really, within a very short amount of time, breaking it up into many chapters disrupts the flow a bit.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2011
Last Updated on August 16, 2011


Author

Lady
Lady

North Shore, New Zealand



About
I write likeAnne RiceI Write Like by Mémoires.Analyze your writing! I hadn't discovered my passion for writing until the age of 17. Although I can clearly remember during my early youth.. more..

Writing
Foolish Girl Foolish Girl

A Poem by Lady


The Red Forest The Red Forest

A Book by Lady