7 or 8 Things I Know About Him - A Stolen Biography

7 or 8 Things I Know About Him - A Stolen Biography

A Story by N R Whyte
"

This is a form created by Michael Ondaatje. As a project in my short fiction class, we used his outline to create our own.

"
Wonderful

                When his mother was a little girl, her father would braid her hair until it was exactly right. When she asked him how it looked, he always said, “Wonderful.”

The Bell

                In his father's house, there was an iron bell only rung when guests came to dinner. He asked always to ring it and was once reprimanded for doing so an hour before dinner was ready. The guests, once seated, were then asked to watch him perform, solo, a scene of his choosing, in which a dinner party was involved. There was much laughter until his mother's boss broke a crystal water glass. His mother's boss apologized profusely to his mother, who said, with slight humour, that it was her husband's set.

The Blanket

                The day his mother left his father, she passed the Native American blanket hanging as a sign of peace in the town hall and thought to herself that she would like to move back to Ohsweken. Now she organizes the protests against building on sacred burial sites.

Garbage Man

                For the first ten years of his life, the same garbage collector visited his court. One Tuesday, there were two.  It was the garbage man and his daughter. She was later killed at the World Trade Center bombings of 9/11.

Listening In

                Overheard him throwing up, again.

Pepperoni

                Littered on the floor of his car are the oily wrappers of dozens of beef jerky wrappers. His father ate them before immigrating to Canada from England, and kept the pantry always stocked. His breath always smelled like his father's.

Reprise

                When his grandfather came to visit for his 14th birthday, he was allowed to ring the dinner bell when it was time. He rang it with such excitement that it slipped off the chain and fell to the floor, putting a dent in the hardwood. Even his mother laughed.

© 2014 N R Whyte


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on December 4, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014
Tags: michael ondaatje, flash fiction, short story, army, soldier, garbage, native american, blanket, bell, pepperoni

Author

N R Whyte
N R Whyte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I am a student at York University, finishing my fifth and final year of a double honours degree program in English and Creative Writing. My writing has improved immensely during my four years at York,.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by N R Whyte


A Highway. A Highway.

A Poem by N R Whyte