THE GREATEST!

THE GREATEST!

A Story by aarpee1234
"

anybody/anything can be a hero!

"
A long long ago... 

In the wee hours of the day, the great Sage reached the banks of the holy Ganges, to offer his early morning prayers.
He dipped waist down in the cold running waters and started chanting the Vedic hymns, all the while taking water with both the palms only to pour them back at the end of each hymn.

Meanwhile, an Eagle is flying high in the sky, with a rat pup, being clutched in its talons! The hungry Eagle could not wait till it reaches it's nest. In the mid air, it decided to taste it's catch and brought forth it's talons closer to it's opened beak. As the Eagle was about to devour it's prey, the rat pup just slipped from it's talons!

As the great Sage was about to end his morning prayers, the rat pup landed straight into his open palms! He was unperturbed. He looked up at the sky, saw the Eagle soaring higher, as it decided to give up it's prey.

Any other person would throw the bloody mess in his hands with disgust. But not the great Sage! He carefully observed the badly injured rat pup.
Still alive, fighting for it's life!

The great Sage smiled, closed his eyes and whispered a mantra. Miraculously, the wounds of the rat pup healed and it started cooing for it's mother!
But the great Sage didn't end there. He continued his mantra and soon the rat pup transformed into a newborn baby girl!

Contended with his work, the great Sage took the baby girl to his Ashram, which is not far away from the banks of the holy Ganges.
The great Sage's disciples and followers never discussed even once about how the baby came, as they never doubted his piety. Instead, they nurtured the newborn with utmost care and dedication!


Years passed.
The baby girl from Ganges turned out to be a beautiful young woman!
She was considered as the great Sage's daughter and was revered as such. Words of her exceptional beauty reached far end of not just the mortal kingdom but also in the Heaven and the Nether world!

Scores of Kings, Princes and Knights from exotic lands have landed in Varanasi, to at least have a glimpse of that other worldly beauty.
However, they are too afraid to make a move as they feared that they would face the great Sage's wrath.
They heard multiple stories of numerous arrogant Kings, reckless Princes and wayward Landlords who tried to invade the Ashram to take the young woman forcibly, in turn being turned into pebbles and were thrown into the holy Ganges by the great Sage! 

Meanwhile, the great Sage decided to marry off his daughter. He called her and asked her if she had any one in her mind. As obedient a daughter can be, she replied that his wish would be her wish!
Contended with her reply, the great Sage thought for a while and asked her to come along with him.

Both of them reached the banks of the holy Ganges. Looking up at the sky, with hands folded in a Namaste the great Sage spoke
 "Dear Sun God! The King of the Sky!
The Brightest and the never ending light of the East!
I opined that you are the greatest and I decided to give my daughter's hand to you in marriage.
Kindly acknowledge!"
A moment later, a gentle voice came from the skies,
"Oh great Sage!
Virtuous among the mortals!
I thank you for your proposal but I must refrain as I am not the greatest!
The Black Cloud can easily conceal my light and my glory and I consider him to be superior and I suggest you to consider him for the alliance!"

Satisfied with the Sun God's explanation, the great Sage along with his daughter went to the South of the Kingdom. While its raining, the great Sage, with a Namaste, looked up at the sky and said,
"Oh the great Black Cloud God!
Provider of the rains and Supporter of the life!
I opined that you are the greatest and I decided to give my daughter's hand to you in marriage.
Kindly acknowledge!"
Moments later the Black Cloud thundered,
"Oh great Sage!
Finest of the humans!
I am extremely happy about your proposal but I must tell you, that I am not the greatest!
The great Gale can blow me anywhere and anytime he wants so I consider him to be a better prospect for your daughter."

Acknowledging the Black Cloud's advise, the great Sage and his daughter travelled to the West. They reached where the winds were high and once again the great Sage looked up at the sky with hands folded in a Namaste and prayed,
"Oh the great Gale God!
The Versatile and the Strongest!
I opined that you are the greatest and I decided to give my daughter's hand to you in marriage.
Kindly acknowledge!"
Moments later, the winds howled,
"Oh great Sage!
Pious among the living!
Extremely generous of you to bring a marriage alliance for me, but consider this!
I am not the greatest!
The great Mountain can easily stop me and I advise you to reconsider your proposal."

Having satisfied with the great Gale's explanation, the great Sage and his daughter, travelled to the North. They reached the mountain base and directing his Namaste to the apex, the great Sage spoke,
"Oh the great Mountain God!
Protector of the land!
The Mightiest!
I opined that you are the greatest and I decided to give my daughter's hand to you in marriage.
Kindly acknowledge!"
Moments later loud words echoed,
"Oh great Sage!
The benevolent among the sages!
With utmost respect and regret I decline your proposal!
For I am not the greatest!
Look at where you stood and what can you see?
Holes! Tens of hundreds of them all over me.
Do you want to know who is responsible?
The Rat King! Who took away my might!" 


The great Sage suddenly felt that he had realized something!
Something important!
He closed his eyes and started praying.
Moments later a rat, dressed in golden robes and a crown emerged from one of the burrows and stood in front of the great Sage!
The rat bowed to the great Sage and spoke,
"Oh the great Sage! The most venerable human to have walked on this land!
To what auspicious occasion I have been summoned by you?" in a mixture of respect and curiosity.
The great Sage smiled and said,
"Oh Rat King! I must apologise as I have never considered you as a prospective groom to my daughter.
But, I have been enlightened today about you and I am satisfied that you are the greatest!
So please accept my apology and my daughter's hand in marriage!"
The Rat King smiled and spoke,
"I am greatly humbled by your gracious and beautiful offer my great Sage.
But how can I marry a human?!"

Even before the great Sage was about to answer, the young woman spoke,
"Father! You have told me about my birth!
Now I request you to kindly change me into my birth form as I accept this marriage alliance and that form would be more appropriate!"

The Rat King didn't understand a word she spoke.
However he stood there watching both of them.
The great Sage looked at his daughter, smiled, caressed her head and chanted a mantra!
The Rat King was surprised as the beautiful young woman infront of him had immediately transformed into a beautiful female rat!
The most beautiful rat he had ever seen!

He was speechless!
The great Sage then performed a ritual and married them to each other.
The Rat couple bowed to the great Sage with utmost gratitude and together with hand in hand went into their burrow to happily live forever!
Immensely content, the great Sage travelled back to his Ashram.

THE END

(P.S: Ages old Indian folk tale - retold)

© 2018 aarpee1234


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Incredibly interesting and beautiful! Nice writing! And thanks for entering my contest!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


aarpee1234

5 Years Ago

Thank you.
Nice! I have always been into mythology! Although, sorry to say, Greek mythology is my favorite. This is a good one!

Posted 5 Years Ago


aarpee1234

5 Years Ago

Thank you.
LazerRays

5 Years Ago

:) your wecome
My version of this Indian folk tale. Additional dialogues have been added. However, the soul of the story has been untouched.

Posted 5 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
Oh, WOW!! Am frankly saying....this one amazed me...like I'd thought, the rat king would turn into a human but it's true that at a time of life someone does takes his/her actual avatar from which /he/she has been transformed I guess!!
And thanks for making it just different from Siya's Swayambhar....well actually few take their stories in that way...tis an amazing bedtime read...thanks for sharing☺!

Posted 5 Years Ago


aarpee1234

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much
¿

5 Years Ago

You're heartedly welcome!☺

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 22, 2018
Last Updated on July 6, 2018
Tags: Hero, The Greatest

Author

aarpee1234
aarpee1234

Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, India



About
... more..

Writing
This is me! This is me!

A Story by aarpee1234


Author's Note Author's Note

A Chapter by aarpee1234