Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by SilentSKY

 

Chapter 5

 

            The officers asked me numerous questions, usually regarding my father and what I could remember about all the illegal things he’s done. I named off as many as I could remember, but soon my head began to hurt. However, the most interesting question they asked was what my relationship with Daniel was.

            “I-I guess it’s alright,” I answered them, slightly confused.

            Officer Wright wrote something down, a sour look on his face. “Any major issues?”

            “Well, he yells at me a lot, but he don’t hit me.”

            Officer Wright took off his sunglasses and looked me in the eye, those dark blue eyes piercing mine. “Son, we need you to cooperate.”

            “I am!” I protested.

            “Son, I and my partner here are trained professionals to spot the lying dogs from the truthful rabbits. You’re a lyin’ hound, my boy. In order to help you, you need to tell us the truth.”

            I searched his eyes. “Alright. I’ll tell you the truth. He don’t ever hit me, and he hollers at me. You happy?” I stared him straight in the eyes. He hesitated, about to say something, but just shook his head and put his sunglasses back on, shaking his head and writing something down.

            “We appreciate your time, son.” Officer McBane said, standing up. Wright joined him as they walked out the door.

            I stared after them, but just shook my head and ran my fingers through my shaggy hair.

            “Jesus, that one officer with the clipboard sure was aggressive!” I jumped, and realized that Ben had spoken. I smiled at him.

            “How’d you listen if you had that music on?” I laughed.

            “Easy- I had the volume off.” He winked and pulled the ear buds out of his ears. I laughed again.

            I shook my head, smiling. “You’re one crazy old man, you know that?”

            He nodded. “Yep. That’s what old age does to you. Makes you crazy. But in a good way.”

            I glanced out the window. The sun was hanging low in the sky, indicating that it was late afternoon.

            “Hey, Ben-” I said, “What’s the date?”

            He looked up. “Today’s the eighteenth of November. Why do you ask?”

            I thought for a moment. “When did I come here?”

            “The fourteenth. You’ve been here for four days. Sleeping for all of them. Why do you ask?” He repeated.

            “Just curious,” I murmured, feeling the stitches along my face, their bumpy texture giving me chills. I listened to the quiet beeping of the heart monitors that were in this room.

            I was panting, and turned to Ben. “Hey, Ben? Could you get one of the nurses to turn down the temperature? Its so hot in here.”

            He looked at me strangely, glancing at the thermostat. “It’s only sixty-two degrees in here.”

            I wiped my forehead, feeling sweat drip off of me. My head pulsed painfully. “Are you sure?”

            He nodded.

            “Well, I’m going to get a drink of water then…” I sat up and immediately felt dizzy. My vision swayed, but I could distantly hear a beeping sound get faster and more immediate.

            I stood up, barely able to stand on my own two feet.

            “Skyler? Skyler Fay!” Ben’s muffled voice shouted, but I was too confused to know it was his.

            “I-I’m ok,” I murmured, and the ground rushed up at me way too fast.

***

            “Hey, Skyler! You ok?” A voice mumbled, shaking me.

            “Ugh….what…happened?” I groggily asked, feeling sick. I opened my eyes, seeing Dr. O’Brien holding my shoulders.  

            “Jesus Christ, boy….” He shook his head. “three days ago you-”

            “Wait.” I said. “Wait. Did you just say, three days ago?” I face palmed myself, shocked. “What the hell is up with me passing out every other day?”

            “That can easily be explained. Later.” He looked at me, his fuzzy eyebrows furrowed. “Ben called for a nurse as soon as you collapsed, and got up from his bed and picked you up, placing you back on the bed. He said you were the lightest thing he’s ever carried,” O’Brien added with a chuckle. “Anyways, we did a quick brain scan on you, and it turns out that you have a mild, on the border of fatal concussion.”

            I sighed. “And?”

            “And what?”

            “How long will I be in here?” I asked, my patience becoming short.

            “Well, that depends. Could be from one week, to four months.” 

            “Why did you wake me up, then?” I said, frustrated.

            “You were yelling in your sleep, so I decided to stay in here and watch you.”

            I rubbed my right cheek, glancing over at Ben’s bed, expecting to see him laying there. But I found just the white sheets nicely folded on an empty hospital bed. “Where’s Ben?” I asked, concerned.

            O’Brien gulped, looking uncomfortable. “He’s in the Emergency Care unit.”

            I looked up, alarmed. Why was Ben in the EC? “What happened?!” 

            “When he was trying to walk with you in the gurney, one of our nurses was trying to push him back into his bed. She succeeded, but as we were running down the hall with you, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ben running down after us, gasping and hollering and gripping his side.

            “Then, he fell, passing out from over exertion and broke his neck when he fell.” O’Brien finished, his eyes sad.

            I sunk back down in my pillow, quiet. “He broke his neck?”

            He nodded.

            “What happens now?”

            “Well,” He sighed, shifting his position on the bed, “a number of things can happen now. We might fix his neck, or we might not, so there is a high chance that he will stay paralyzed from the shoulders down. Or,” he paused. “He might die.”

            I looked out the window, watching the stars twinkle in the cloudless night. I tightened my grip on the bed sheets, twisting it angrily in my hand.

            “Don’t let him die.”



© 2010 SilentSKY


Author's Note

SilentSKY
Lol this chapter is really short xD lol.... well I hope you enjoy it because Skyler certainly isn't xD

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ahhh Ben! He must live!!!
Man Skyler sleeps through a lot...haha.....It's like as soon as he wakes up BAM someone is on the verge of death or dies aha

writer wise---YOU are an AMAZING writer! You have me reading this as if I'm addicted to it.
Me to your story is like santa to a sleigh. They come hand in hand. xD



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Poor Ben D: amazing chapter though :) I liked it alot. And whats a strange thing for ben to get hurt as soon as skylar wakes up x) Amazing keep it up :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ahhh Ben! He must live!!!
Man Skyler sleeps through a lot...haha.....It's like as soon as he wakes up BAM someone is on the verge of death or dies aha

writer wise---YOU are an AMAZING writer! You have me reading this as if I'm addicted to it.
Me to your story is like santa to a sleigh. They come hand in hand. xD



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No! Why Ben? Of all people, it had to be him? Well, anyway, this has been a very good story so far. A gripping plot that leaves me begging for more, characters that you can't help but feel strong emotions for, and all worded so carefully. This is really good. Keep going!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2010
Last Updated on December 26, 2010


Author

SilentSKY
SilentSKY

CA



About
I love to write. It is a passion, and that is all I do. Write. I have been writing since I was very young, making up little stories and writing them out. I have been accepted to Author's Faires, and I.. more..

Writing
PROLOGUE PROLOGUE

A Chapter by SilentSKY



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by SilentSKY