Savannah & Abdul

Savannah & Abdul

A Story by Isis Molina
"

Savannah is back here again, but this time she isn't alone.

"

Savannah ran her fingers through the water than ran down the river. She wasn’t surprised to find herself here again. This was the place she ran to, almost unconsciously, whenever she needed to breathe. She sat down comfortably on the ground, her spring yellow sundress sprawling along with her. The wind blew her curly brown hair to her face, and she inhaled a deep breath, savoring the glorious scent of the outdoors�"a heavy blend of dirt, a variety of flowers, and acres of fresh grass. Adorning her surroundings were the big, old trees with dark green leaves that danced silently with the wind. Above her, she could hear the rapid wings of birds flying about, minding their own business; building nests on top of the trees, perhaps. She smiled at the thought of a family of birds, and headed on to wondering if the dad ever stuck around to help feed the baby birds he helped to create.

          Far away, she heard his voice calling her name. It was unclear at first, like an echo from a recently awoken dream. She shut her eyes, wishing it was all just a dream. That possibility would solve all of her problems. If only real life were as easy as dreaming.

          “Savannah,” the voice became clearer, and more agitated. Had he been running all this time? The place was no more than a mile from home, but she didn’t think anyone would follow after her, much less running. She shook her head. Only Abdul would exaggerate like this.

          Her eyes opened reluctantly, as the voice silenced, but the footsteps against the fallen leaves grew louder. “You found me. Sorry to disappoint, buddy, but they lied to you about the winning prize.”

          Abdul didn’t respond to that, but came to sit at the long empty spot next to her, crossing his legs.

          Savannah felt his strong gaze on her, but she refused to look back at him. The river was a much more pleasant sight at the moment. The river didn’t run desperately after her. The river didn’t want to ask a million questions her mouth didn’t want to answer.

          Abdul sighed, his breath finally stabilizing, and from the corner of her eyes she noticed he finally stopped staring at her. Instead, he looked ahead of him.

          She had to admit she didn’t like the awkward silence between them. Abdul was her closest friend, and if she’d had to choose someone to ever interrupt her moment of peace, he was the only company she could bare to have. “You didn’t have to come after me, you know.”

          “I know,” he said.

          She turned to him, and he was still staring at the river in front of them. She smiled, knowing all too well this was the main reason she loved him so much. Abdul knew not to pry when she didn’t want him to. He knew when Savannah needed not to be bothered, no more than usual. Abdul knew so much more about her than she knew about herself. That didn’t change the fact that he constantly worried sick about her and never wanted her to feel alone.

          “Anything exciting happened after I escaped?” she wondered.

          Abdul picked up a leaf and started cutting it into tiny pieces. “Your mom handed out jell-o shots for everyone. Oh, and your sister cut the cake.”

          Savannah raised an eyebrow. “Jell-o shots and cake all at the same time?”

          Abdul looked at her with a grin. “Bet you’re pretty sorry you bailed so soon.”

          “Nah, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of leftovers,” she said. “I have a habit of getting those.”

          The only remaining piece of his torn leaf was blown away from Abdul’s palm, and they both watched it go. Abdul sighed, picking up another and starting the process all over again.

© 2013 Isis Molina


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 22, 2013
Tags: friendship, companionship, nature