A Gift of Love

A Gift of Love

A Story by Ranjit More
"

This is a short story inspired by the lofty lives of the renunciants, popularly known as babajis, of Vrindavan – the spiritual seat of India.

"

In one of the picturesque hamlets of Vrindavan, there lived an old babaji and a little boy of five, named Golu. By ordinary standards, the duo lived in abject poverty, but those who could discern matters of the heart knew that it was richer than most billionaires of this world.


Ghanshyam Baba had found the little boy at a crossroad outside his village, orphaned by his absconding parents who couldn’t afford to feed him. Since then, the two had lived happily together off the bhiksha that the villagers provided.


“Don’t you know, Golu,” Baba said one day, “Radharani loves you very much. She is the one who sent you to me.”


“Who is Radharani, Baba?” Golu asked with wide eyes, unaware that he’d placed a small hand upon baba’s thin thigh.


“Oh, Golu, she’s the mother of the Universe. She’s your mother, too. You don’t know how much she loves you. She cries for you every day, awaiting the moment you will become hers.”


“Really, baba?” Golu squeaked. “How do I meet her, baba?”


“Simple,” Baba said with a smile. “You follow everything that I tell you and one day you will surely meet her.”


Days passed as Golu followed Baba’s instructions with all his little heart. He would assist baba in serving the deities of Radha-Krishna; he would collect flowers and bring water from the Yamuna; and he would sing the glories of Radha-Krishna while meditating upon them. But even though he loved all three of them - Baba, Radharani and Krishna - he couldn’t ignore the tugging he felt in his heart when he saw the other boys eating sweets like rabri everyday.


One day he went in front of Baba and threw the copper water-pot on the ground in a rage. “I want tooth-paste!”


Baba looked at him meekly. “We don’t have money for such things, Golu.”


“Then why don’t you ask your Radharani for some?” Golu asked angrily, tears in his eyes. “I’m sick of collecting flowers and bringing water. Do you know Dilip beat me up because I don’t brush my teeth every day like everyone else?”


Baba fumbled for words, but before he could get anything out, Golu ran out of the hut in a huff. Ghanshyam Baba cried the whole evening. There was nothing wrong with what Golu was asking for. But Baba had taken a vow to not ask Radharani for anything. How could he explain that to a little boy? He vented his anger on the deities. He chastised them for allowing Golu to get beaten up.


Finally, night arrived. Baba had thought Golu would need some time to cool off, but he hadn’t returned as yet. It was getting too late for a small boy. Baba got out of his hut and was about to close the door when he heard Golu’s buoyant voice, “Baba!”


Ghanshyam’s heart skipped a beat. He wiped his eyes and turned around to find a delighted Golu coming towards him, carrying a bag full of something.


“Look, Baba! A Laali from the village gave me sweets, nuts…and even toothpaste with a toothbrush!”


“Which Laali, Golu?” Baba asked warily.


“A Laali named Shyama. She put her hand on my head, like this, and told me to come to her if I need anything. She even showed me where she lives!”


Baba froze. It was as if a bolt had struck his heart. No doubt it was Radharani who’d personally come in the form of a village girl and given those things to Golu. But how could he tell this to Golu? Baba simply shed tears.

© 2016 Ranjit More


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on May 15, 2016
Last Updated on September 9, 2016
Tags: spirituality, unconditional love, indian, esoteric, christian

Author

Ranjit More
Ranjit More

Pune, Maharashtra, India