Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Miren Kaisen
"

Aris gets a little too involved in the mystery for his taste.

"

Chapter 2

First Quest

The queen gave me her trust when she discovered the chest full of amethyst like I had said. The court was also surprised with my actions, saying that I would have run with it. But after they checked my person they found no amethyst on me, nor did they find the gold I had smuggled thanks to Reno. I was given my own place to stay and was confined to a curfew I had to follow every day. It became troublesome so I locked my door to prevent the guards from walking in every 4 minutes to check and see I was still there. Reno loved the class and view we were given from our room. My room was filled with books and maps. So, because I could not leave my room without an escort, I found myself reading all of the books in the room within a few days.

“I want to see the town” Reno said, she was jumping on the bed and making so much noise that the guards knocked on the door.

“Is everything alright in there?” I heard them say.

“Yeah, I'm fine” I said. “Those guys are annoying, stop giving them a reason to knock on the door” I warned her, then went back to my book.

“Tamillia would take me” she pouted.

“Then go find her, she’s the physician”

“I can't go anywhere I'm attacked to you right now” she continued to pout. I hadn’t left the room since I was given the room. So that would be a few weeks, and I guess Reno couldn’t take it anymore. I sighed and stood up.

“Let’s go see Tamillia then” I said, it wasnt my curfew and I had time to go into the town. Of course I was followed by the guards. We walked down the hall and to the physician. “Can I have previously?” I asked.

“Alone you can, however; the queen has instructed us that any communication must be down on the record” they said. I sighed in annoyance. This was worse than prison, what was worse I didn’t have the queens full trust. If only I could figure out where the mine was, but I’m a thief not a detective. I walked in and Reno went straight to Tamillia.

“Reno wants to go into the town” I said, then turned around.

“That’s it?” Tamillia grinned my way.

“I'm busy; I was just passing along a message. Have fun” I said and waved my hand and was off again.

Something caught my eye in the halls. A strange piston that went along the corners of the wall from the ceiling to the library, I walked into my room and locked the door again. I walked to the corner of the room and began to push on it. The wall moved, and opened another staircase. To my surprise the secret door made no noise, I walked in and shut it. It was dark; a torch lit the way with a faint light. The pistons were barley visible to the naked eye, but my eyesight was increasingly better because I travel at night. I followed the tunnel all the way to the end. There was a pillar at the end and a bookcase. ‘The tale of 5 ducks’ and ‘mountains to move’ had only 1 page filled with numbers and shapes. I put them to the side and looked at the others. The room was small and narrow so the space was small; I scratched my back against the brick behind me. After about an hour or so, I turned and explored the rest of the tunnel. This tunnel went on forever with another door that led outside. Perhaps another thief made it while working for the court. I turned to look around; it was right by the lake. If I crossed the hunt dogs wouldn't be able to track me and I would be home free. At least, I would. However Reno was still with Tamillia and I needed her. Also, solving this puzzle shouldn’t hurt. I went back to the bookcase; the wood on the floor was hollow. I pulled a few planks out and looked inside. I pulled out a box with flower designs and a stick. Looking inside the box there was a rolled up scroll. A map of some kind, initialed KO with a star right where I was. I pulled out the stick and put them on the shelf. This made no sense, what does this map mean.  A map showing me my current location, that can’t be right, I put the planks back and walked back to the door. I could hear though, the queen was furious. How long was I gone?

“Find him!” she yelled. “Next time don't let him lock the door” she demanded. Shadows moved along the ground and they left the room slamming the door. I emerged from the secret passage and sat on the chair. I thought for a moment, the map couldn’t have been showing its own location.

“Something must have been there before I got to it, they put the map there in place of the map and left a stick?” my theory made sense to a point. I still needed to keep in mind, which was KO and what was with the tunnel? Maybe it had something to do with the mine, and KO is Karil. But then, what was the man’s last name? I got to my feet, the archives must have something. Some sort of record of a sir Karil would do, all I needed to do was figure out his name.

I peered into the hall; the queen would be pissed if she realized I kept the tunnel a secret. But I need that to my advantage just in case I need to escape the castle. I walked on to find the archives in the library and began filing around them. Records of all the employs, the dukes, the queens, kings, and sirs were all here. In the records there was no record of a sir Karil, so I looked up Sir Arnold. Here it said he discovered a gem he called amethyst. “He had recovered three, gave one to the king, one to the treasury and one he kept. Then, there should be 2 others Arnold had other than the ones Karil had mined. Where would I find those, not to mention some thief is running around with the queens treasure” I grinned at my own ironic thought.

“You know the whole kingdom is looking for you” Tamillia said, Reno came back to my side.

“How long have you worked here?” I asked.

“Only a few months, I only arrived to this world a year ago” she giggled.

“Do you know anyone named Sir Arnold?” I asked.

“Can't say I do, why?”

“I think Arnold and Karil have something to do with the amethyst. First off, how come no one knows Karil when he was the one that discovered the mines? Arnold only made it out with three gems and gave two to the kingdom while keeping one for him. Karil destroyed the mines but there was a whole chest full of that stuff putting its value down a lot.”

“I don't see your point, so the guy took the other guys credit?”

“Not just that, the town is pretty close to here. So why hadn’t the court seen the chests full of gems and gold until I explored that area”

“Maybe they didn’t think it was necessary to search”

“I don't think so, I need to find out how the town became abandoned and the fight that broke out between Karil and Arnold and why no one knows of Karil’s existence” I got up and took the records from the book.

I walked back to my room with Reno by my side. “Why did you have curiosity all of a sudden?”

“I found a secret tunnel, there’s a map there and I think I could really figure out where the mine is and the secrets behind the amethyst” I opened the door to my room and lay on the bed. It was late and the kingdom was still looking for me, a shame that only I would get a good night’s sleep.

By morning the guards were angry to find me sleeping soundlessly in my bed. The queen screamed a high pitch squeal and I jumped up.

“Where the hell was you” she grabbed a sword from the guard, jumped on the bed and pointed it at me. I watched her then went back into a nice sleep.

“Aris, get up. You know the rules, why did you vanish?” my father’s voice was deep like an old man.

“I came back didn’t I? The curfew thing is a bother anyway” I rolled over, the whole court was now in my small room starring at the queen’s rage as she threatened me with a sword. “So, are you going to kill me now?” I asked. Reno was standing between me and her ready to block it.

“Where’s the stolen amethyst?” she asked.

“I already gave you a chest full of that stuff, and I'm working to finding the mine.” I sat up. She aimed the sword at me.

“I will cut your throat, watch me”

“Alright, just let me do it from down here. Your voice is loud” I said Reno prepared herself and before she was ready the queen threw her sword. It passed Reno and landed right before my face. ”You have nice form” I said, I quickly got up and aimed the sword back at the queen. I held her as my hostage now.

“Aris!” My father stepped forward, Zane readying himself. I was now in charge, which was quick.

“Everyone gets out” I demanded. “Or it goes through her heart” I promised. The queen was still grasping the realization and ordered them to back off.

“Do as he says, now” she demanded. I held the sword to her neck and the all left the room. I quickly locked it and Reno bolted the windows, I put a piece of cloth into the queen’s mouth and opened the door. We went through and were now inside the walls.

“What is this?” Reno asked.

“This is the tunnel I found yesterday, the lake is out that way and if we run through it the dogs will never find us. But it’s to be expected that they would have this place locked down by now. I took the cloth off her and restrained her hands behind her back.

“You will die for this” she promised.

“Look it wasnt my intention to get you involved with this, now I have your blood on my hands”

“You wouldn't dare kill me” she starred at me with cold eyes.

“I have completely lost your trust, haven’t I” I didn’t wait for an answer, we walked through the tunnels past the book case that I collected the two books, the map and the stick. We made it to the end; I opened the door to find the guards on the other side of the castle. I took off into the lake with the queen right behind me, she resisted but after Reno pushed her she began to follow. We made it to the other side and rested. We had made it into the next country; the queen had no power here.

“What is the meaning of this?” she demanded.

“There is no meaning, I hadn’t meant to take you with me but I had no choice. I think I should explain to you what I intend to do” I finished, I was smiling and the queen was filled with hatred of me.

“Then explain it to me” she insisted

“Alright, the letter I discovered in that abandoned town. How come no one knows of sir Karil and he isn't in the archives?”

“I don't know, I never heard of him. Arnold was an easy story you could have heard it from anywhere”

“You still think I made it up?”

“Yes!” she shouted. I signaled to her to be quite, she didn’t listen. “I don't know what sort of game you're trying to pull but I will execute you once we return. Now, take me back”

“Now you see, you see what you're doing there. Threatening me that you're going to kill me is not going to change my mind about bringing you back”

“Then what do you want with me?”

“Look, I didn’t mean to leave the castle at all today. It’s an immediate reaction when someone attacks me. You develop the habit of attacking your attacker when you visit a lot of pubs, especially around here”

“You're telling me this was an accident?” I nodded. “Then what about that tunnel?”

“Do you really think that I would have enough time to dig out an elaborate tunnel like that?” I asked. She shook her head, ‘I guess not’ sort of expression on her face. Reno sighed to herself and the queen stood up.

“My name is Makiari” she said, at first I thought it was a joke, but the smug grin wrapped off my face quickly.

“So, her highness’s name is Makiari?” I asked.

“It’s a nickname, Ari you can call me. What do you plan to do now?” Ari asked.

“I don't really know. I have the map and the box from the secret room, I need to find anyone who can tell me who Sir Karil is” I said. She walked over to where I sat, she held out her hand. “Yes?”

“Give me the map and we will go find the mine” she said.

“Go for it, your highness. The maps location is the secret room in the castle. It doesn't show you where the mine is”

“What’s the point of that?”

“I highly doubt whoever put the box there was putting the map there so you could find the map. That wouldn't make much sense, and because the map was put there signed by KO I think Karil was the one that made the secret room”

“So maybe it’s like a Chinese box” Reno said.

“A Chinese box?”

“Yeah, their puzzle boxes with a hidden compartment or something. Once you solve the puzzle you can get in the box and find what the person was hiding. It’s usually meant to keep petty thieves like you out”

“Petty thief?” I began to examine the box; it didn’t look like a puzzle box. Looking closely though was a small hole at the bottom. I grabbed the stick from my coat and wiggled it in. Nothing, not even a sound, I examined it further.

“What are you messing with?” Ari asked.

“Trying to find a secret compartment” I said.

“Why not pry it open?” she asked “You're a thief right, you should be able to open it”

“That’s not the issue; I can't just pry it open. If I did that I could break whatever’s inside”

“Some thief you are” Ari said pouting.

“Let’s head back to the castle, I really don't know what to do.” I admitted, as far as leads went, I got none.

“So a dead end?” Ari asked, she got up and began walking back to the castle. “You know that you committed a crime punishable by death right?”

“Good thing I'm just showing you the way” I said, Reno was just as confused as Ari. “I'm not going back to that place”

“What about those two books you picked up?” Ari gave me a sleigh grin. She reached into her dress which was all soaked wet from the lake. She held in her hand the two books that may or may not be worth something.

“What about those two books?” I repeated. She shook her head.

“I'm telling you, to solve this puzzle and steal me some treasure or I’ll hunt you down until you are killed” her smile reminded me of this criminal I meant a year ago. She was a nice lady; she always stole my pocket money. But that was before I met Tamillia and Reno.

“So, threatening my life again?” I asked.

“I will” she warned. I held the box in front of me.

“Take it” I said. “You can try to hunt me down if you like, you will never find me and” I paused “you can't kill me”

“Oh, can't I?” she seemed to believe me, and in truth it wasnt a bluff. I planned to split with the cash I have and settle down somewhere else and find my mother’s treasure as a duke of some royal palace.

“Go ahead and waste your entire treasury finding me, I have erased myself before and I can do it again” I turned away from her and left. That one quest I had went to a bitter end in a flash. I was interested in finding the answer, but not as interested as I was being rich. Whoever Sir Karil was he just made a poor thief richer than a duke. I left her highness Makiari there alone hoping to never see her again.

Now, don't think this is the end. For my first quest wasnt a plan of Gods, apparently. I was soon forced back into this mystery of treasure and fortune a few years later. The place I would find myself begging Ari to save my life. Or, that’s what I thought at least...



© 2014 Miren Kaisen


Author's Note

Miren Kaisen
Sorry if this story is boring, please review me and let me know what you thought.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on May 16, 2014
Last Updated on May 16, 2014
Tags: mystery, thief, puzzle, medieval