Me  and  My  so  called  'best  friend'

Me and My so called 'best friend'

A Story by Rachel Roth
"

This girl whom I thought was a good friend turned out to be bad. She had good traits but she had one of the worst kinds of bad traits.

"
                       Let me  just  tell  you  for  a  fact  that  my  experiences  with  friends  had  not  been  good  ones. Somehow, the  friends  I  find  always  seem  to  have  fairly  good  traits. However, they  had  bad  traits  too  that  unlike  some  traits, cannot  be  ignored. Things  like  picking  the  nose  and  messiness  are  usually  overlooked  by  me. I  never  understood  why  some  people  find  things  like  that  such  a  big  deal. But  the  traits  I  cannot  overlook  are  usually  those  bad  ones  like  selfishness, large  egos  and  boastfulness. But  in  my  opinion,  the  worst  kind  of  traits  is  getting  angry  over  a  small  matter  and  expecting  the  victim  to  apologize  even  though  it  was  clearly  not  their  fault. Then  holding  a  grudge  over  it. The  worst  part  is  that  people  like  this  often  have  a  large  gang  behind  them  and  it  pisses  me  off. Okays, so  onto  the  story.

                       Recently, I  had  met  a  girl  in  my  new  class. As  knowledgeable  as  I  was, when  the  time  came  for  us  to  choose  our  classes--either  science, commerce  or  arts--I  had  chosen  arts  as  I  had  no  interest  in  studying  in  the  other  classes. In  that  class, I  met  a  girl, Adrienne,  she  was  called. And  boy  was  she  a  good  friend. She  stuck  by  me, gave  me  advice  when  I  needed  it. She  seemed  like  the  perfect  friend  right? I  thought  so  too  but  if  you  think  there's  absolutely  no  way  my  curse  could  mess  this  up, I  can  say  you  had  badly  misinterpreted  the  extent  of  my  curse. Sure, she  was  kind,  fun-loving  and  a  good  listener  too  but  there  were  also  bad  things  about  her.


                       We  had  been  partnered  up  to  do  a  class  assignment  and  I  was  excited  for  it. On  the  first  day  of  our  assignments  we  were  given  a  list  of  things  to  do  which  included  writing, drawing  and  coloring  a  storyboard. We  were  excited  to  get  started  and  planned  ahead  on  our  project. It  was  agreed, I  would  write  the  story  and  she  would  draw  the  storyboard  then  we  both  would  color  it  together.


                       However, things  did  not  go  as  planned. The  next  day, she  took  me  off  the  assignment, saying  that  she  could  do  everything  herself. I  tried  to  argue  and  advised  her  that  it  was  supposed  to  be  a  team  effort  but  she  ignored  my  advice  and  just  worked  on  it  herself. Worst  of  all, she  didn't  tell  me  what  she  was  doing  and  just  went  on  with  what  she  thought  was  best.


                       A  day  before  the  assignment  was  due, she  didn't  come  to  school  and  left  me  with  no  instructions  on  what  to  do  or  how  to  do  it. If  I  had  remembered  correctly, she  said  she  didn't  care  what  I  did  with  it. Panicking, I  continued  where  she  left  off  and  finished  up  the  project. It  was... reasonable, I  didn't  do  anything  special, just  gave  things  a  touch  up  here  and  there  and  finished  writing  the  storyboard  with  the  draft  she  left  in  the  storyboard.

                       The  next  day  she  came  and  I  showed  her  what  I  had  done. Her  face  turned  a  mixture  of  angry, upset  and  annoyance  as  she  screamed  at  the  work  I  had  done. She  even  complained  that  my  writing  was  terrible  and  unreadable  even  though  she  herself  knew  it  wasn't  true. My  writing  was  among  one  of  the  most  beautiful  in  the  class, second  only  to  hers. She  complained  and  asked  me  why  I  had  to  'stick  my  butt  in  places  where  it  did  not  belong'  in  which  case  she  groaned  that  she'd  have  to  redo  the  whole  thing  because  of  my  mistake.

                        Angry  and  shocked  that  she  would  take  such  a  little  thing  to  heart, I  screamed  at  her  face  and  left  to  my  seat  annoyingly. This  project  was  supposed  to  be  a  team  effort  and  she  took  it  and  did  it  herself  and  once  I  tried  to  help, she  yelled  at  me??? What  kind  of  friend  was  that???


                        In  any  case  I  didn't  see  her  for  the  next  few  days. I  was  relieved  at  that  as  I  didn't  need  anymore  problems  and  plus,  she  was  bigger  and  stronger  than  me  despite  the  fact  that  I  had  agility  on  my  side. I  didn't  believe  in  fighting  and  confrontations  and  I  really  don't  want  to  fight  with  her  and  her  gang.

                        But  after  a  day, I  felt  bad  and  tried  to  apologize  to  her. However, she  took  it  for  granted  and  yelled  at  me  even  more  for  my  terrible  work. She  even  complained  to  her  friends  about  it  and  they  agreed  with  her. Afterwards, I  had  enough  of  her  and  just  ignored  her  and  I  learned  from  a  few  of  her  friends  that  she  always  held  a  grudge  and  it  was  a  long  grudge. With  that, I  ended  my  friendship  with  Adrienne  and  left  her  to  do  her  own  business.

                         Within  a  few  days  of  it  her  friends  came  to  me  and  asked  me  why  I  ruined  her  project  which  she  had  to  do  alone  because  I  forced  her  to  do  all  the  work. They  asked  me  to  apologize  to  her  for  ruining  her  project.This  made  me  angrier  and  I  was  in  disbelief  that  she  could  even  lie  to  make  her  friends  side  with  her. In  any  case, I  had  already  apologized  and  told  them  that  but  they  just  said  to  beg  for  her  forgiveness. At  that, any  self  control  I  had  previously  had  faded  away. There  was  absolutely  no  way,  not  in  a  million  years  that  I  would  beg  her  for  her  forgiveness. What  did  they  think  I  was? A  dog? I  had  some  dignity  too. I  screamed  at  them  and  told  them  the  truth  but  I  was  believed  to  be a  liar  and  they  took  her  side. 

                          Alone  and  angry, I  left  to  sit  alone. With  friends  like  these, who  needs  enemies? I  refused  to  give  away  any  dignity  I  had  left. And  with  that, I  ended  my  friendship  with  the  girl  whom  I  had  thought  to  be  my  friend. But  it  was  ok,  because  during  that  time  period, I  had  found  other  friends  who  didn't  believe  Adrienne  one  bit  because  they  knew  her  style. They  became  my  new  friends  and  we  started  hanging  out. They  turned  out  to  be  awesome  people  and  even  defended  me  when  Adrienne  came  to  me  and  expected  me  to  just  drop  down  on  my  knees.  Now, my  new  friends  and  I  are  like  two  peas  in  a  pod  so  you  can  say  that  by  losing  a  friend, I  gained  more  truer  and  trusting  friends.

© 2014 Rachel Roth


Author's Note

Rachel Roth
Sorry if this sounds like ranting. I had a bad week and I just needed to let it out or I feel I'll explode from all this anger and hate weld up inside of me. The last paragraph is partially true, I haven't exactly made peace with the actual Adrienne yet. So, yeah, feel free to comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
Added on June 23, 2014
Last Updated on June 23, 2014
Tags: Friends, Enemies, Attitude