Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Rosalyn Marie

            “Annabelle, seriously, what the heck is going on?” my father questioned again. Startled by his voice I was shaken out of my trance and I stared at him. My mouth took time to form the words as my brain recovered from my fear induced paralysis. My voice came out in a whisper, struggling to keep control of my emotions. “There was a man… he just looked in through the door and stared at me.” I said, fear still evident in my voice.

           

“What? A man was looking at you? Well that doesn’t explain why you were about to attack me with scissors and body spray.” He said in a slightly gentler tone when he noticed how scared I was.

 

“Well, I was upstairs getting my book, and I heard a car door shut and I thought it was you so I looked out my window and a van was parked across the street and a man was staring up at the house and I freaked out and ducked down and then I heard footsteps on the porch and I forgot to lock the door when mom left so I thought he came inside and was going to attack me so I grabbed these to fight back but it turned out to just be you.” I rushed out my story, leaving out the fact that I had been seeing the van everywhere and it seemed to be following me, because the look my father was giving me made me think he already thought I was crazy. That added information would probably just support the thought.

 

“So you thought scissors and body spray would help you defend against an attacker?” Now his tone became a little bit mocking, and it angered me.

 

“That’s not the point! The fact that a man just came up onto our porch, looked through the door, and stared at me should be your main concern right now!” I nearly shouted. I was practically becoming hysterical, which was not good. That just made me seem weak, which I desperately tried not to be.

 

“Okay, okay, calm down Annabelle, just take a deep breath. Do you think I should call the police?” he said, the fatherly concern back in his voice after my outburst.

 

“No, it probably doesn’t even matter now. Maybe it was just some guy going to a friend’s house but he didn’t know if it was the right address so he looked in to check. He’s probably on the other side of town by now anyway.” I said flatly, as if I didn’t really care. The truth is, I was still terrified, but seeing how my father reacted to my story made me think that the police would probably think I was making it up too. Because even thought my father didn’t say it, I knew he didn’t believe me.

 

“Well, alright, if that’s what you want. Now why don’t you go upstairs and get ready for dinner. I see Mom made Shepard’s Pie, so I’ll get you a plate.”

 

“Okay, I’ll be down in a few.”

 

And just like that, the subject was dropped. I walked upstairs and into my room, putting the scissors and body spray back where I grabbed them from. As I was about to leave I had the sudden urge to look out the window again, against my better judgment. I did, and what I saw scared me. The van was there, driving slowly past my house once more, before speeding away into the night.



© 2011 Rosalyn Marie


Author's Note

Rosalyn Marie
So I kind of suck at dialogue.. please review with critiques so I can make it better!
or just review with praise.. that works too :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It would be nice to see some more detail in the story. I personally think the dialogue flows pretty naturally. The body spray scissor defense system still cracks me up. Overall, a pretty good chapter. The drama towards the end adds to the intensity. Looking forward to more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 14, 2011
Last Updated on February 14, 2011


Author

Rosalyn Marie
Rosalyn Marie

MA



About
I love reading, writing, and music, but my favorite thing is definately art :D I love love love to read and write though, so that's why I'm on this site :) I'm also in chorus, so that's where the mus.. more..

Writing