Brother

Brother

A Story by R. Bartilet
"

I wrote this decades ago and hope this shows everyone that with practice comes success.

"

            The deserted park was assigned for demolition in the next two weeks and I promised that I made as many memories as I could in this run-down place before it was gone. The empty swings were motionless while the leaves above danced along the autumn wind. This was where I laid on the hard ground while I listened to the soft noises of the rustling trees and where I was able to easily slip and escape reality. The park was a haven.

            My father rarely showed his affection to anyone -- including my mom. His daily routine included holing himself up inside his office, only to come outside to eat. But even then, it was difficult to talk to him; there was always a sense of awkwardness around him caused by years of being so distant.

            Although I was given what I wanted, we were strictly told to do what was instructed quickly and wordlessly. No questions asked. No one living in his house had the courage to argue, until Anna entered my brother’s mind.

            Alex and Anna didn’t spend a lot of time together at first; they were facing the awkward stages of their first dates. Instead, he would rest on the couch and eat or sleep all day, careless of the world around him.

            “I can’t stand it here,” my brother said. “I need some place to go!”

He would turn to me as his escape rope but leaving my busy life wasn’t so easy.

I would however, promise to go some other time, thinking that his offer will always be there.

            “Mom, Dad.” Alex softly said as a drop of sweat slowly trickles down his forehead. “This is Anna.”

            “Its nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. William.”

            “Pleasure.”  After she spoke with a friendly tone, my mom looked at my dad, expecting a hello or something to make things less awkward -- but he didn’t. Instead, he slightly shook his head and left, with disappointed stamped on his wrinkled forehead.

            I guess that was where it all started, the downfall of this already broken family. As the petals of our Malus tree -- planted on our front yard -- tumbled onto the newly mown grass, the distance between my brother and I got wider; I heard less of Yeah sure, Claire and more of I really can’t; Anna and I have plans. My brother would arrive late in the evening. I thought that if I left things the way they were, I would get rewarded with some time with him. As I constantly hoped and hoped, nothing had ever happened.

            On my sixteenth birthday, I had enough. My father had a business meeting and my mom was wanted at her office. My brother however, had promised me the night before that he was sure to come. I was continuously hoping and wishing but when it was finally time to open my presents, I knew I meant nothing to him now. The week afterward was a disaster; he had tried to apologize but the pain in my heart refused to forgive him.

            “Alex, your father wants you.” I overheard my mother. I heard my brother’s footsteps as he makes his way to the kitchen. I soundlessly crossed the hallway and tippy-toed to the right of the kitchen entrance, tilting my head to see my parents and brother sitting in the dining table.

            “Your cellphone.” My father said with a stern voice while slowly raising his hand, ordering my brother to hand over his phone.

            “What? How am I supposed t--“

            “You were clearly told the limits and expectations, and you obviously did not understand.”

            “I was listening to you, I just…”

            “Exactly my point." My brother stood there in shock, not fully sure what to do. “How are you supposed to learn anything if I gave you a second chance? Second chances are worthless; people won’t learn and unless I take your phone away, you will never learn.”

            It took moments for my brother to gather the courage to say, “This is unfair.”

            “Do not argue with me.” My father’s strict voice echoed from the kitchen wall, everybody was silent, except for my father. “I want you and Anna to separate as well.”

            “You don’t have any authority over my love life.” My brother slowly spoke, carefully choosing his words.

            “Oh? If you don’t, I will make sure your life­"“

            “She needs me.” My brother continued to stare directly at my father before stating three words that changed the air in the room. They stared in disbelief and froze like ice sculptures placed on the beige tiles of my kitchen. My father was the first to move and quickly strode out of the kitchen, but abruptly stopped when he saw me.

            “Go to Amy’s house tonight,” My father ordered, “Claire… Go.” The news didn’t sunk in; it left me unmoving while I stared into my father’s angry eyes. I didn’t know where I was going, but I my feet were running. I knew I could only go to one place, the only place I had" the park.

            All those memories had now lead up to here, sitting still on the swings and looking at the moon" it’s pale brightness slightly brightening the park. Someone had suddenly appeared behind me and lightly put his hands on my shoulder.

            “Want me to push you?” My brother had asked. I gave a shy shake of my head and turned around to face all bruised six feet of him. “Anna and I are leaving. I just wanted to say goodbye.” My brother put his duffel bag down and pulled me in for a final embrace. I stood in his arms for several minutes wanting to make our last memory together the most memorable, but time was still running. He gave me a nod and as he walked farther and farther to face the damage he done to his and Anna’s life, I saw nothing but the black figure of what was. Although he still had a heartbeat and blood still flowed through his veins, he was as good as dead to my father.

            When the cold winters came, life continued.  The relationship in my family grew more distant and I was forced into a life where fun never existed. The expectations from my parents grew heavier and life seemed harder without the park to turn to. No one ever talked about my brother but I wished I had more memories with him. I wish I spent my Sundays with him, loafing on the leather couches and hysterically laughing about the sappy dramas shown late like how they do in the shows with perfect families -- but I can’t. Like the place that I only had, my brother was gone.

 

 

© 2013 R. Bartilet


Author's Note

R. Bartilet
Again, I wrote this decades ago and hopes this shows that with practice comes success.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on September 8, 2012
Last Updated on January 16, 2013
Tags: brother, teen pregnancy, family, relationships

Author

R. Bartilet
R. Bartilet

Canada



About
I like books. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by R. Bartilet


Hollow Hollow

A Book by R. Bartilet


1 1

A Chapter by R. Bartilet