The Tomb Is Empty

The Tomb Is Empty

A Story by Rebecca Buller
"

...for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. - Luke 23:45

"

Sunlight cast warm rays upon her face, but Mary of Magdalene felt only the bitter chill of sadness settle within her heart.

He was gone. Her dearest friend. Her teacher. Her…Christ. She stopped in the middle of the dusty road and squeezed her eyes shut as the horrific images of him carrying that heavy cross flashed across her mind. Anger burned within her as she recalled the Roman soldiers casting lots for his garments.

She wanted to shout at God! Why? Why, Father, did you send him to us only to take him away? A warm breeze was her only answer and so she walked on.

Just days ago they had entered Jerusalem with crowds chanting, “Hosanna!” The fickleness of humanity never ceased to amaze her.

It would’ve been easy to blame the angry mob that shouted, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” Easier still to blame that ruthless Governor Pilate for condemning him to death. But it was they who had done this.

When soldiers had entered Gethsemane, they had run like frightened children into the night.

Judas had betrayed his friend for 30 pieces of silver. Peter had denied even knowing him. They had all fallen away.

Mary drew closer to the tomb and the gnawing ache of grief tore at her soul, but she willed herself to keep going. She had to be near him even if he was…dead.

She squinted against the morning sun. Something was…strange. The stone in front of the tomb was rolled away! Mary hurried forward and stumbled inside the dank and dark cave. Fear gripped her. His body! Where was it?

Mary swiveled around. She had to tell someone. Peter? John? Yes, they would find him. Someone had to find him! She began to weep.

A figure moved towards the entrance of the tomb. The gardener, maybe?

“Woman, why are you crying?” the man asked.

“Because my savior is gone and I don’t know where they have taken him,” Mary said, tears running down her cheeks.

“Mary,” Jesus said to her.

“Teacher!” Mary cried out.

“Go and tell my brothers what you have seen,” Jesus said before turning away.

Hope bubbled like a spring within her and Mary of Magdalene went to spread the good news.

© 2014 Rebecca Buller


Author's Note

Rebecca Buller
She was the first to speak to the risen Christ. Because of this, Mary Magdalene is an inspiration to all of us.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was drawn into the story and you held me there until the end. You are a wonderful storyteller and I enjoyed this very much.

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rebecca, you are a good storyteller, but this story does not measure up to your usual great stories. It seems to me you could make this one more dramatic if you made it longer: I'd like more detail, more action, more Magdalene character. I didn't get the feeling of intensity the situation of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus would evoke. Also, you could elaborate upon Mary M.'s activities following her words with the risen Christ. As the story stands, she hasn't done enough to inspire; she's only been the receiver of the risen Christ's first words. Honor that that is, it says more about Christ than about Mary Magdalene.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2014
Last Updated on April 15, 2014

Author

Rebecca Buller
Rebecca Buller

Goltry, OK



About
My name is Rebecca Buller and I work for an insurance company in northwest Oklahoma. For me, writing is more than a simple hobby or an escape from the chaos of life. It allows me to dwell within a wor.. more..

Writing