How Humans Gained Souls

How Humans Gained Souls

A Story by redwriter
"

A work of fiction

"

 How Humans Gained Souls

Leslie-Ann Paige 

        Once upon a time a world was born. This world was destined for greatness. It was a beautiful world. Pure rivers ran down the many mountains, grand cedar trees filled dense forests. The forest provided lots of wildlife for food, while oceans filled with life provided plenty of sea food. It had many species among it, living together in harmony. 

        One day this harmony was disrupted with intense feelings of curiosity. You see, this was the when man and woman stumbled upon this world. They came from the cedar tree, whose roots connect to the heart of this earth. The animals and plants were all eager to see this odd form of life. They had no fur, no scales, no feathers and they were not botanical in any such way. They stood up right, and walked on two feet. The woman was smaller than the man, so unusual, since how was the woman to carry life with so small of a body?  Most female animals are larger than the males for that very purpose. 

        When they entered the surface of this world from the cedar tree, they had no identity. They had no soul. The animals and plants of this world decides to give this new species a soul, since if they walked around with no soul, it would surely not bring much luck and sanctity to the world.  

        The Eagle, who was the oldest and wisest of all the animals, had the ability to communicate with the Creator. He met with the Creator, and asked why he sent this new species to this world. “Creator, this doesn’t seem right. They have not soul. What could we have done wrong to be sent a soulless life from? Tell me and I will fix it,” Eagle said. 

        “Eagle, I made you wise for a reason. You should know better than to think you have done something wrong. I may have sent you soulless humans as a task, but not without knowing you can complete it. These humans have a destiny. They will make many mistakes along the way, but I know you and the others will be able to guide them. Their destiny will take a long time to complete, but for now, here is how you bring a soul to life……………….” 

        Eagle flew down from the heavens, enlightened and ready to complete his task. Granted this was a big task to complete, requiring a lot of discipline and care. He went back to his Animal Clan to describe his meeting with the Creator. 

        “What are we supposed to do with these things?” Immediately asked a very disdainful Black Bear, pointing to the humans. They were still standing in front of the cedar tree which brought them to this world, looking very dazed and confused. 

        “We are to give these humans souls,” Eagle replied, very matter-or-factly. 

        “What do you mean?” 

        “How the heck are going to do that?” 

        “What are humans?” 

        “Did we do something wrong?” 

        These were the very daunted animal’s replies to such an unattainable task. Why would the Creator give us such a big task to such worthless things that haven’t even obtained such a basic thing as a soul? 

        “It is the Creators wish, and if the Creator wishes it, it is to be done,” Eagle says, flying up into the air, his eyes piercing into every animal that showed up for the meeting. Every animal bowed there head in respect. Eagle was given powerful eyes for eminent authority. Someone had to be the leader, and that was the leader’s trait.  

        “This, is what we are to do…………………..” Says Eagle, flying down to explain. “First, we are to make them work for us. Each of us will give them tough tasks to complete, so they learn humility and gratefulness. If they do not do this task right, you are to tell them to do it again, so they learn discipline. You will thank them for being so kind, so they are not embarrassed. They will then know dignity and kindness. After each task you will give them a gift, so they know gratitude. After this has been completed, I will tell you what to do next.” 

   * * * * * 

        And so it went, the humans were sent to work. Black Bear sent the humans up to the deep, mountains with 2 humongous baskets to pick as many berries as possible. Now this mountain was a very high and steep mountain. Bear growled “Now go to the very top! The berries are very big and sweet up there!" To climb up to the very top would take a day. They spent a day picking enough berries to fill the two baskets. In conclusion, it took them 3 days to complete the task. They were very tired when they arrived back to the valley. Black Bear let the keep one of the two baskets in compensation for their hard work. They were very grateful to have something to eat after this immense task. 

        Beaver sent the humans to help cut and carry trees for his dam. The trees they cut were very huge and were heavy to carry, especially for a mere human. It was two days of non-stop work and the humans were very tired after this task. The beaver gave the humans strong wood suitable for a sturdy house. The humans were very grateful for such a gift. They were starting to feel useful to the animals, and were proud of their accomplishments. 

        Deer wanted the humans to watch his back while he grazed, so he doesn’t fall prey to Wolf. This was the easiest job to do, so they were very grateful that they had a break. 

        Wolf wanted the humans to hunt for Deer, but they felt bad after just protecting Deer from Wolf. So they refused, showing great loyalty to Deer. 

        Mountain Goat sent the humans up the face of a steep, steep mountain to gather a rare, rare flower. The first time up they could not find the rare, rare flower and started to clamber down the steep slope. When they told Mountain Goat, they failed, he sent him up again. Embarrassed and ashamed, they were determined to find the flower. When they did they were victorious. Mountain Goat thanked them kindly. It was hard work and in return received wool for warmth.         

        They worked hard that week and learnt many virtues, such as: humility, gratefulness, dignity, perseverance, courtesy, discipline, kindness and loyalty. They even felt the very human-like feelings such as victory and embarrassment. 

   * * * * * 

        Eagle gathered the Animal Clan together again the following week and told them what to do next. “The humans have learned what it is to work, now we are to ask if they want us to do anything for them. They will then learn what it is to be generous.” 

   * * * * *  

        “Do you need anything before winter sets in?” growled Black Bear to the humans. They asked Black Bear to teach them how to catch salmon, so they will never go hungry. Black Bear did so, and in return they gave him two humungous baskets full of berries. Black Bear was grateful and the humans felt generous. 

        “Can I do anything for you before winter sets in?” Beaver asked the humans. They asked Beaver to help him with building their house. Beaver helped them build a beautiful, sturdy house, with the wood he gave them. In return, the humans helped to build Beaver a beautiful, sturdy den for the wintertime. 

        “Can I do anything for you humans before winter?” Deer asked the humans. They didn’t ask anything of Deer, since they had everything pretty much set. But they did offer their protection from Wolf, so Deer is always safe to graze. The Deer was very grateful. 

        Wolf didn’t come to the humans since they did nothing for him, but the man did go to Wolf. The man wanted the Wolf to teach him to hunt, so the humans will never go hungry. The Wolf, honored by the request, did so, pleased by the gesture. The man offered salmon in compensation for the lessons. 

        The humans were very surprised at the offerings of the animals, and were happy to give away all they could, since they benefited so much from their help. 

   * * * * * 

        “It is now time to teach them contentment. We will let them live their life for a while in peace.” The Eagle said at their third meeting. So the animals let them be. 

   * * * * * 

        The humans began to learn how to live in harmony with nature, and lived in peace for a long time. The woman gave birth and learned how to be patient and loving with her child. It was a prosperous time for the humans. 

   * * * * * 

        Five years later, it was then that Eagle decided it was time to teach the Human Family the grand virtue of spirituality. He taught the man all the ways that the Creator taught him. The man went home with the gained virtue of spirituality. This grand virtue came along with many other sub-virtues. Such as: the virtues of wisdom, respect, purity, tolerance, justice, courage, balance, responsibility, and trustworthiness. He taught what it was to be spiritual to his wife and child. 

   * * * * * 

        After this ordeal, Eagle was called up to the heavens for a meeting with the Creator. “Your task was finished with flying colors. Eagle and I am very proud. You taught them what it is to be full of life,” the Creator said, always with warmth. 

        “Thank you for giving me this opportunity, I enjoyed watching these humans grow, to have souls,” replied Eagle. 

        “Good. Your task is finished and you may go back to living normally again.”

        “Creator, nothing will be ‘normal’ again, we have these humans to watch over, and we are their guardians from now on. With all do respect of course.” Eagle said, looking into the Creators eyes. 

        The Creator laughed and said, “You truly are wise Great Eagle, I consider you my equal in all the matters that occur in the world. You may fly down now and watch over your humans.” 

        Eagle flew down very happy, for he was acknowledged by the Creator Of All Things. As an equal. 

   * * * * * 

        So this is the story of how humans gained souls. They learnt the virtues of generosity, humility, kindness, courtesy, dignity, perseverance, discipline, loyalty, patience, prosperity, spirituality, wisdom, respect, purity, tolerance, justice, courage, balance, responsibility and trustworthiness; all it is to have a soul. Great Eagle, who has the ability to communicate with the Creator, continues to guide the humans and makes it his self-appointed job to do so. 

        

        


© 2008 redwriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! This is a really neat story. It has many lessons in it. I enjoyed reading it! Thanx! Keep up the good work! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 16, 2008

Author

redwriter
redwriter

Duncan, Canada



About
My name is Leslie N8tive and *proud* Coast Salish from the Cowichan Tribes. 15 w/curly hair Avid writer. Feedback please? Outgoing and bubbly (to a degree :p) Trying new things is my thing. I absol.. more..

Writing