The World we Live In

The World we Live In

A Chapter by Regular Sama
"

An introduction to the world, settings and main cast.

"

Chapter 1: The World We Live In

The sun shines above, as usual. It's hot, but you've seen hotter days, yet not the hottest one your city ever recorded.

The traffic seems normal; people waking and flying by, minding their businesses; cars, bicycles and such ride down the streets, horns following them.

They are taking longer than usual to come. Where are they? - You ask yourself, wondering what could be draining your friends's time so much.

You look over to the mirror to see yourself: an average sized, skinny 17 years old teenager with muscles in shape despite the considerable lack of mass. Short, dark grey hair, black eyes, a rather tight black t-shirt and black pants with white stripes on both their sides, their leg parts being slightly bigger than the rest, black shoes with white details on them and a silver ring with a black stripe on it.

After that you make an annoyed face. �" Next time they call me... You are interrupted by a sudden head popping from your side, taking you by surprise.

- Bet you were looking for me, huh? �" Natasha, a rather small 15 years old girl with short messy black hair, white eyes that makes her look like she’s blind, a smooth and cute face, long sleeved outside shoulders shirt with various shades of blue blended on it, and dark blue pants similar to yours asks you, waiting for a reaction. She doesn't get one.

- And what makes you think that? �" You ask her, trying to tame your impatience.

- Oh, just this "Next time they call me..." you started to mumble. �" She jokes with you, annoying you even further.

- Yeah, sure. Next time don't make me wait so damn long. We still have to go back to the academy, where are those three? �" You ask her, referring to your other friends.

- We're here! �" You hear shouting from the distance. You look, seeing Rose, Derick and Bastion coming by to the hideout.

 Rose is a taller than most 21 years old young adult with long black hair, harsh features on her face like she went through a lot of stress, green eyes, a tight green shirt revealing some of her belly, a black skirt with black shorts inside it and a pair of dark red sneakers. Out of the three she was the most behaved while waking, like she was a normal person.

 Derick and Bastion are twins, so the only thing setting them apart are their clothes and hair. Derick is taller than you, has spiky brown hair, dark blue eyes and a simple set of a light brown shirt with a few words on it and a dark grey bermuda with dark green shoes on. He was walking with a smirk. Bastion has a softer look to him, his hair also spiky, but it was blonde and nowhere near as spiky as Derick’s, light blue eyes with glasses on, white shirt, orange jeans and black sneakers. He was walking with his hands on his pockets.

A few more seconds pass, before everyone is ready for the meeting to start.

- You have... 55 minutes, so rush it. I have a date after school, so I don't want to miss today's class. �" Derick tells, wanting to make sure he won't miss his very first date.

- Ok then, let's get this over with. �" Rose says before clearing her throat. �" As you all may be familiar with, a small group of street thugs were causing a ruckus in a local tavern. As soon as the barmen posted a reward for someone who could deal with 'em, I jumped in and tried to take them down by myself. That... didn't worked. �" She starts, frowning in the last part.

- Seems like you still underestimate numbers. That's why you never graduated... �" You mess with her, making her puff her cheeks.

- At least I tried, and made it out unscathed. You would probably let them scratch you a bit, to "make things more interesting". �" She hisses back.

- So... You want us to go there and break their arms or something? �" Derick asks, looking excited.

- Nah, I just need you to pose and look impressed while I... Of course I want your help you scrub! �" Rose says, starting to get angry.

- Ok, ok, no need to blow up a vein for that. Geez... �" Bastion tries to calm her down, while adjusting his glasses. �" Keep from where you stopped. You were saying..?

- At least someone here is normal. �" Rose points out. �" As I was saying, I need your help. I was going to share some of the money with you anyways, but now I'll have to actually splice it between us. I'll also need all of you to make sure no one goes to the hospital, or worse, because of an accident or something stupid like that. �" She says, while signing that she's done with the most important details.

- So all you want us to do is take care of some street thugs? Really? C'mon, give me an actual challenge here. �" You fake yawn, stretching your arms and looking a bit disappointed for having to deal with yet another small job.

- Well, so I assume you can take on them all by yourself? �" Rose asks, forcing a smug.

- Depends on how strong they actually are. Once we get there, I'll know. �" You reassure her. �" So, Bastion, care to plan how we'll address this issue? �" You gesture at Bastion, who seems to be getting exited.

Half an hour passes by. Ever since you found this little abandoned yard in the middle of the woods, you made it you and your friends' little secret playground. You went as far as building a considerable wooden roof, and adding a battery to charge up a small refrigerator, and even a TV. After more people joined the fun, and an actual group was officially made, that became your little hideout, without anyone knowing where it is, or how to get there, making it perfect to just chill on weekends and holidays, or to discuss more serious matters, like the one you're having right now.

- Alright, that sounds about right! So, I'll be the bait- Natasha begins, only to be interrupted by Rose.

- I already told you you're not skilled enough to be bait! One mistake and they'll have a hostage to use against us. Use your brain a little more would you? �" Rose pulls Natasha's ear, looking a bit nervous at the idea of letting her join the mission. It will be her first time after all.

- Just let me sky dive with one of them into the ground. Always wanted to do it... �" Derick suggests.

- And then I'll have to pay your bail after you get arrested for murder, you jackass. �" Bastion retorts. �" Besides, we don't want to gather a bad influence for us. �" He adds.

- So... I'll just watch and make sure they don't try to escape? L a m e. �" Natasha boos her part of the job.

- That, or you can stay here. Your choice. �" You warn her.

- So, I assume that's about it for today? Gotta go have some fun with my girl... �" Derick smirks a smug.

- Just make sure you don't scare her with that attitude of yours. �" Bastion messes with him.

- I'll mind my business. As soon as I hear of them, I'll call you guys. �" Rose says as she goes home.

You then go back to Crimson High School and spend the rest of the afternoon having a dull, obnoxious time with the boring classes being poorly explained by the teachers who think they are any stronger than you.

As you go home, you think about how you are going to enjoy it once you leave the academy. Finally, you'll be

18, old enough to leave your parents's house to find a more comfortable place out in the city.

Suddenly, a man comes out of an alley, holding a girl around 12 years old in his arms. She, however, doesn't seem comfortable, let alone pleased at her situation, visibly trying to struggle her way out of his grasp.

- You stay quiet you brat! As for you, stay put or you won't like what'll happen next! �" The man shouts to the people inside the alley he just came from. He's holding a knife, pointing to both the girl, and the alley. He then notices you.

- Scram kid! Or do you want trouble? �" He barks at you, angry, and seemingly drunk.

- The only one after trouble here is you, punk. �" You hiss back at him, before taking a fighting stance. �" Let's see if you have more than just a piece of steel going for you. �" You insult him, before dashing foward.

- He is taken aback by your sudden move, making him point the knife at you instead of actually harming the girl. He tries to stab you, but you manage to easily block it with one arm, and punch him straight in the face with the other, making him let go of the girl.

Stunned by your strength, he falls, but starts laughing. �" Heh... Maybe you're more than just a little twerp after all? �" He says, standing up, then doing a weird hand motion in the air. Out of nowhere, a bunch of sharp metal objects comes by, flying from behind you, as well as from the alley he was in. Not long after, a couple comes out from said alley, going after the girl that seems to have a scratch in her knee. You don't mind it too much, since you're focused on not getting in trouble for ragging your clothes, or even getting a cut.

- Turns out I have more going for me than just one blade kid! �" He shouts at you, before doing another hand gesture, sending all of the sharp objects he gathered fly at you. The problem is that the newfound couple and the girl are in the way, so you decide to do something about it.

- And I have more going for me than just punching hard, you drunk b*****d! �" You say as you wall jump your way to the ceiling of the building next to you. The man can't seem to comprehend what you just did, but change the direction of his attack regardless, while you keep going for it, roof by roof, soon landing behind him. You then throw a flurry of punches at his gut, knocking him out cold in the spot.

- Adults... Always thinking they are any better than us, than me... �" You tell yourself before looking at the trio standing in front of you, who seems to be shocked, wich also happens to be the same reaction taken by bystanders.

- Hey! Are you three okay? I hope you are. If anything happened, feel free to call the police. I'm leaving. �" You quickly tell them as you prepare to keep going to your home, as nothing have happened. Suddenly, the girl you saved hugs you, saying:

- Thank you so much! I was so scared of what my uncle could have done if not for you! �" She says, sobbing a little. Her uncle? How could someone close to her ever think of doing something as dangerous as that? Served him right that you were around to teach him a lesson. You stop, kneeling down to her level, as you give her forehead a little poke.

- It's ok. All that matters is that you are ok now. Now go, your parents are waiting for you. �" You tell her, ending it with a funny looking expression. She laughs, and hugs you again, wispering something:

- My hero... �" She then goes back, and you go straight home, thinking about what she have said to you. You, a hero? Sounds oddly fitting...

As you enter your house, a 2 storey blue building with a considerable yard, something your father is extremely proud of keeping as green as ever, located in the dead center of a circular neighborhood, you are greeted with a sudden hug. They sure were coming for you today like free candy.

- Oh thank goodness you are safe! I heard from a friend of mine that she saw you getting caught in the middle of a ruckus involving an armed man, and thought about how things could have ended so badly for you! You have to stop scaring your old mother like this! �" Elizabeth, your mom, hugs you even tighter, looking like she just saw someone die in front of her. She was fairly young and extremely beautiful for someone that was supposed to be a mother, but you never looked at her with eyes that weren’t from a son. Her long curly brown hair fitted her also brown eyes and common long dress with flowers all over them. She was using an apron, indicating she was cleaning the house.

- Give him a break mom. It's not like he had trouble with it. My boyfriend saw it all, and was lucky and fast enough to be able to record it. I saw the video, but didn't wanted to worry you with something like that, until Agatha came and told you the news... - Diane, your older sister, starts to point out the obvious. She was exactly like your mother, except she was smaller and younger. Curly brown hair, brown eyes, the same curves, everything. If not for her clothes anyone could easily mistake them with the other. �" So, little bro. Taught 'em a lesson, old style? �" She asks you, smirking like she always does.

- Damn straight! It was so... MOM! �" You squeeze your way out of her bear hug before continuing. �" It was so easy I didn't even had to actually try. He was just some drunk b*****d who didn't knew what he was getting himself into. �" You reassure her, with your own smug.

- Wait until dad hears of this. He'll probably knock you head for showing off like that... �" She starts.

- You won't show him the video, will you? �" You begin your little act. �" I mean, how could you do something so mean to your own little, adorable brother? �" You fake a concern, putting your hand in your face while looking straight up. She laughs.

- Who knows? Maybe, if you help me out with a little something... �" She begins, her grin growing wider at the thought of blackmailing you.

- Yeah, not gonna happen. Feel free to show him the video, and I'll deal with him later. �" You reassure her, wanting to snatch the video from her. Who knows what your old man will do this time?

You spend a few hours playing games in your room before dinner is set. As you go downstairs you can see you father looking at you as you come down, smirking a smug while holding a wooden plank.

 He was fairly built for someone who didn’t had so many muscles. He was wearing a black tuxedo with black shoes and his hair was combed backwards. His eyes were dark green, and they screamed I want my coffee extra black. All and all, the coolest father you could ask for.

- 'Night son. �" He greets, before loosening his hand - I've heard the news. You sure made a good show out there didn't you? Now, come here and give your old man a hug! �" He tells you, but you know what's coming for you.

As you approach him, he suddenly swings the plank at you. You saw it coming from a mile, and easily grabs it before realizing the mistake you made. Your body feels heavier, as you fall on your knees, struggling against an invisible weight, your own that is.

- That is for playing hero. And you won't have dinner until everyone else is finished and the dishes are cleaned. Today's pressure cooker noodles. I made sure to ask your mom to make it in case she knew you would get in trouble with me. By the way, thanks again honey! �" He tells you, while you feel your weight sink you into the ground. You realize that it'll be for the better if you just sit down or lay open in the floor.

- Hmmm! This is delicious Liz! What did you did this time to make it taste so good? �" He taunts you over and over, making sure to let you know how extra tasty your favorite dish is being served fresh to everyone but you.

The following day goes as normal. You and the gang agreed to spend their following mornings together, in case something came up and Rose needed to warn everyone. She wasn't around, since she still had to do her homework and find out more about these guys you were after. Meanwhile you and your friends would just chill while listening to jazz and electronic, while playing some board games or just thinking about things.

- So, wanna hear about my date yesterday? �" Derick tries to do some small talk, looking a little bit disappointed while looking at the ground.

- Eh, not really. I bet it was a disaster, given how awful you look. �" You mess with him.

- I already said it! I woke up like this because I didn't slept well enough! �" He hisses back.

- Because You were thinking about the horrible date you had? �" You start laughing.

- Go jump off a cliff or something, will you? �" He says, as he goes watch TV.

- Make sure not to use all of the energy in the battery. Next one to fill it is going to be me, so would be nice if I didn't had to do it so soon. �" You warn him before looking at the distance.

Suddenly, a head pops from your side, startling you again.

- Stop doing this! �" You warn Natasha, who looks extra cute today for some reason.

- Sorry, sorry! I can't resist! �" She tells you, her usual babydoll eyes making you buy her lame excuse. �" So, I've heard of your little errand yesterday. �" She begins.

- Wait what? How? I looked it up and nothing was being mentioned about it in the internet. �" You try to piece what you know with what she told you, to no avail.

- Turns out the little girl you saved is a close friend of mine, and when I went to say hi to her, I heard of this misterious man that was passing by and saved her from her dangerous uncle. She just coudn't stop daydreaming about her "hero", and the way he touched her and how it made her feel warm inside... Ahh... Wish I had her innocence again. �" She tells you, all while keeping an uncharacteristic smug towards you. Everyone else overhears your conversation, and come closer to push more details out of you.

- C'mon guys, it wasn't a big deal. Just her drunk a*s uncle doing some stupid stuff out in broad daylight. I just did what anyone would do in a situation like that. �" You say, acting like you were accused of something.

- "What anyone would do" involves wall running all the way to the roofs and jumping straight down from there? �" Bastion of all people makes fun of you. �" If I was there I would just hold him on the spot until the police came to do their job. What you did was kinda reckless. What if he went to the hospital thanks to your little "ora ora"? �" He represses you, acting like he was your teacher, wagging his fingers and everything.

- Well, then, he had it coming right? I mean, he held his own niece hostage, so I don't think he have rights to not get pummeled by someone. Besides, everything is fine. �" You tell them, not being really sure of it yourself.

- I should keep my eyes on you from now on. Your little games could cost someone their arm if you were left unchecked. �" Bastion argues with you, but you just shrug his worries off, saying that you'll try to control yourself more next time.

A few days go by, nothing really happening. You and the gang go to the hideout, do something, usually just hang out, or go explore the woods that surround it to try and find something interesting for you to do, and from there you go to the academy to sit through boring sections of things you already know, or don't care enough about.

- ...of his efforts, we are now able to live in a society where respect is mutual between everyone, regardless of their Powers. That just goes to show what kind of person Zin Jhao was. �" Your history teacher finishes her class of how Zin Jhao, the most influential man to have ever lived, period, and about how he was responsible for the changes in how society should look at Powers, and how they should treat everyone equally. Things didn't went down exactly the way he wanted, but they sure are many times better than what they once were in his time. �" Any questions? �" She asks as a handful of... hands, are raised. She, however, picks you, who seems uninterested.

- But I don't have questions to make Mrs. Sarah. �" You explain.

- Oh, don't be silly! Of course you do! With a face like that it's near impossible for me as a teacher to just not try to help you with any puzzle you might have. Go on, just ask. I won't judge if you make a silly question. �" She encourages you.

- ... Well, if I have to do it, here goes nothing. Why was his name so weird? �" You ask her, wondering why he had such a different name from everything you've ever heard.

- That's because he started his revolutionary movement in a foreign country. Turns out he's from the East Region, while we are from the West Region, you see? Our cultures and habits are extremely different. �" She answers your question with a proud smile. �" Anyone else has any interesting questions? �" Another army of hands are raised, as you daydream about having the chance to ever visit Aether. The things you hear about that place sometimes makes you want to just drop everything behind you and go there. But that woudn't be something you could bring yourself to do.

After I have enough money, I'll finally be able to pay it a visit. The popularly named Kingdom of Legends. I mean, if I'm actually lucky, I'll even get a job as an well known bounty hunter and get a cheap house in the woods... �" You ponder a little longer on your thoughts before the bell finally rings, hinting at the end of school. �" Finally! �" You stretch yourself and stuff your backpack, but don't leave class yet.

Once everyone is out, you go towards Sarah to give her your usual hug. She hugs you back, and rubs your head.

- You know it's okay to talk to me when you feel like something bugs you right? �" She seems concerned about whatever could be bothering you. �" If you ever feel lonely, come by my house. I could bake you some cookies! �" She reassures you.

- It's ok. Everything's alright, for as far as I'm concerned. Don't know if you were watching the news, but I have more friends now. And besides, one day I'll definitely go there. Just you wait! �" You tell her, a confident look in your face, while striking a pose and pointing towards nowhere. She giggles. �" You remind me so much of my husband, sometimes it's weird, like you are the same person. You're like the son I never had. Thank you Edgar, for everything. �" She says as she hugs you tigher once more.

- You're welcome... But now this is getting a little weird. Let me go. �" You warn her, worried that someone could get the wrong idea of you two. �" See you next week! �" You wave as you leave her class, she waving back at you.

As you go back to the hideout, you receive a call from Rose.

- I've found them! The thugs we were looking for, I know where they are. Come as fast as those legs can carry you, and don't expect to go home tonight.

A smile grows wider in your face, pointing from ear to ear. You can't help but be excited about finally doing something interesting, although still relatively easy compared to your great skills, for a change. �" Time to kick some a*s and get actually paid for it. Dad will be so proud! �" You tell yourself before going straight to the hideout.

 



© 2019 Regular Sama


Author's Note

Regular Sama
This was my very first chapter, so take it easy and expect next chapters to be much better. Something you'll notice is the "question mark" symbols. They are the dialogue indicators, but this website doesn't record them properly, unfortunately. Please ignore that

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019
Tags: First chapter


Author

Regular Sama
Regular Sama

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil



About
Not much to talk about. Just a brazilian who likes games, chit-chatting, roleplaying to some degree and of course reading. more..

Writing