When the Fortress Starts to Crumble

When the Fortress Starts to Crumble

A Chapter by Regular Sama
"

Edgar meets a new enemy and meets a nightmare

"

Chapter 4: When the Fortress Starts to Crumble

 

 Natasha

 

 �" ...So he’s at your house sleeping..? �" Elizabeth, Edgar’s mom, asks you of why would he be over your place instead of home.

 

 �" Oh, that’s because... �" You try to think of something. Bastion tries to give you a hand.

 

 �" He’s there cause they were on a date... �" He doesn’t realize the mistake he made before you, but the first impression was already left on Diane and Diask’s minds: Is he dating Natasha and he didn’t told anyone?

 

 �" It’s not what it looks like though! He meant that Edgar’s just chilling with me, nothing serious! �" you say as you try to hide your light pink face. You and Edgar together? Pft! Like he would look to you like that... You can’t back off now, so you just roll with it. �" Besides, once we’re done having fun I’ll bring him back in one piece, so no worries!

 

 �" Well, if that’s the case tell him that we’re gonna have a manly talk once he’s back. �" You don’t like Diask’s smirk in the “manly talk” part, but you take his warning regardless.

 

 As you and Bastion are far enough you knock his head lightly while blushing a bit.

 

 �" Why did you said that! Now they think we’re dating you idiot! Why didn’t you said that he was there because he wanted to sleep with me... Wait �" You don’t pay too much attention to the words that come out, making Bastion snort.

 

 �" I had to give them a reason to leave Edgar alone, and I know his father well enough to say this: If it was something he could just drop and go back home he would have demanded Edgar to do it. It’s for the better if they don’t find anything suspicious until Rose and Derick recover from that  beating Magnus gave us. �" Bastion presents a valid point, but you still don’t believe he just did that. You wish you could just bury your face in the ground.

 

 It’s been over 8 hours since Edgar went missing. No one knows where he is, and Rose isn’t in conditions to look for him. That didn’t stopped her from trying, but she didn’t made any progress. Magnus and Fergus Stormhold are bounty hunters, so asking them anything wouldn’t be productive since they don’t ask anything that isn’t what the job is and how much they’ll be paid for it.

 

Rose and Derick couldn’t do much against Magnus’s pyrokinesis without getting burnt to crisps, and Bastion’s wind manipulation would just be used as fuel for him to get stronger, rendering him useless in the battle. All that you can remember is a tall, rather cold man hop from a nearby tree, hitting Edgar and grabbing you with an arm, taking your consciousness with the other hand. An hour or so passed before you woke up and took care of everyone’s injuries.

 

 �" So, what should we do? It’s already evening, and nothing of him. Why did they wanted him anyways..? �" Your worries only grow with each minute. Bastion can’t answer that.

 

 �" All we can do is hope he makes it out unscathed, or... �" You don’t let him finish the sentence.

 

 �" He isn’t going to die, ok? He’s a lot stronger than any of us can even begin to think, I know it! �" Your voice cracks a bit, but you soon calm down, trying to imagine once again where he could be. Bastion says he’ll go back to the hideout to treat Rose and Derick since his mother isn’t home, so you decide to go back and call it a day, a big one that is.

 

 After going back home, mom and dad ask about Edgar.

 

 �" So, nothing of him yet? �" Grace asks you while going for a warm hug. Dad follows right after.

 

 �" I know you’re scared that something happened, but you have to remember who we’re talking about here. From what you’ve told us he can take care of himself pretty good, considering his age. �" Ted says in his usual tired voice. He’s been working extra hard recently, so you decide to let him have his moment.

 

 �" Thank you mom, dad. �" You can’t help but let a faint sob come out. �" But... I can take it, really... Only 8 hours, it’s nothing... I remember people being rescued from much greater timespams than this, so there’s nothing for me to worry about! �" You make a determined face while thanking them once more before going to your room. You go straight to your bed while trying to sleep, but it doesn’t come to you. Edgar can’t leave your mind no matter how hard you try.

 

 When did it all happened? You’ve been with the gang for a year now, but only after Lucy told you about what he have done that you’ve started to look to him with different eyes. Then, the mission happened and you couldn’t stop thinking about how strong he was, how fierce his attacks were, how his determination is what made him look foward to protect his friends, you...

 

 �" What am I thinking about? He never looked to me like this before... To him I’m just another precious friend he needs to protect from everything... �" Your little roller coaster of emotions make you blush out of embarrassment for yourself, making you hide your face in a pillow.

 

 Poor Natasha. Little does she knows what’s going on right now...

 

 

 Edgar

 

 �" ...Is that all you punks have..? Little Fergus back there did worse to me... �" You mock the responsibles for your kidnapping: Takeshi and Hirusha. Hirusha does nothing but watch from a distance, enjoying the show. Takeshi takes things personally with each punch, but they’re so weak it’s almost as if a kid was punching you, but thanks to Fergus his blows starts to actually hurt after a couple hundreds of them.

 

 You try your hardest to analyze the area, but the only distinguishable feature of the fully white room is the lamp hanging above. Takeshi doesn’t let you think too much on it though, as he launches another straight to your face.

 

 �" You think you have what it takes to come and mock my pride AND walk away? I don’t think so you punk! The only reason why you’re still alive is because he wants to see you. �" Wait, who? Whoever he is you own him a big thank you, but that doesn’t stop you from thinking about what someone like him could want with you.

 

 �" And who that person is..? Your boyfriend..? �" You grin while saying it, making Takeshi grab hold of a baseball bat with his telekinesis. His sister doesn’t let him.

 

 �" We need him conscious for when the Doc comes over, so no overreacting over some silly comment. �" She warns him while holding him back with her own telekinesis. �" Your lucky day you b*****d. I wish I could do it myself...

 

 �" Now, come on you two. Is this how we treat guests? �" A deep and relaxing voice comes from the other side of the only door visible. It opens, revealing a man dressed fully in white: white lab coat, white t-shirt, white pants, shoes, socks. Even his hair is white, but it’s a natural white, like he aged with it. Which is weird considering his appearance, quite taller than average and looking to be around his early 50s. You wonder if he really is a doctor...

 

 �" So, you’re the boss here? �" You ask him as he approaches you. You try to analyze your chances of victory. His body type makes him look like a normal middle aged man, but for some reason you feel like fighting him wouldn’t be fun in the slighest.

 

 �" Well, I guess you could say that... �" He says while rubbing his chin with a puzzled expression. �" I’m pleased to finally meet you personally, Edgar Desolated Wildwest. �" ...What?

 

 �" How... How do you know my middle name? No one in my family uses it unless necesssary, which usually doesn’t happen. Who are you..? �" Your worries about this man only rises.

 

 �" Oh, right! Introductions are in order. How rude of me. �" He gently bows. �" Doctor Tenesse Cosack at your services, but you can adress me like most: Dr. TC

 

 �" Tenesse... Cosack... �" This name isn’t familiar to you at all. You have never heard it before anywhere else. �" Interesting... Well, how about you let me go then? You sound like a nice guy, or at least better than these two over here. �" You drop your neverending supply of smirks on him. He copies you.

 

 �" Oh, don’t worry... I’ll let you go, yes! �" If you could look at yourself you would see some sparks in your eyes. �" But not now, I’m afraid there’s something I need to do with you first, to see if you’ll truly be valuable for me. �" He raises his hand to touch your forehead. �" Want to know what my Power is? It’s t... �" You can’t make out what he says next, since your mind goes blank and you drop unconscious.

 

 After a few minutes you find yourself in your house, but something here feels off. No one is around, not even your mother, who isn’t know for going out very often. Your father is probably at work, but you check the date and it says... Wait... You straighten your eyes to see it better. Did you just saw February 10? That was over 5 months ago!

 

 �" Come on now! Diane, if you’re pranking me again you will not like what I have in mind for you... �" You say to no one while rubbing your hands and grinning like a villiain. No one responds at first, but after about a minute you see your sister coming in from the front door. Before you can call her she does the same to you, but something isn’t right about how she does it.

 

 �" Hey you jackass! Why are you still here? I was waiting for you to come over with my stuff, yet here you are with this stupid look on your face. �" Someting about her voice makes you want to puke. It sounds so artificial, so “pretty princess” to you, so not like her...

 

 �" Hey sis, what’s going on with your voice? Did you choked with nothing or something? �" You ask her with your typical smirk smug. Instead of answering you she uses her Power, gravity manipulation, to force you into the ground. The catch is that instead of just feeling a soft push your whole body falls flat in less than a second. �" Wh... What..? �" Since when she got so strong? You try to look up, looking at her disgusted face towards you like she have just touched the trash can or something.

 

 �" Next time you talk to me like this I won’t go so easy on you, you little... �" She takes her hair off her face with her hand while shaking her head. What’s going on here?

 

 �" Come... on now sis. Is this way to treat your own brother? �" You ask her while trying to stand up. The struggle is real, but you do manage to raise a bit, which makes her gasp in a “something’s-inside-my-mouth!” fashion.

 

 �" How are you... �" She seems to ask herself something, before putting more pressure in her invisible prison, making you fall again and cough some... blood? What!? �" Regardless, that was impressive, not gonna lie. As far as you can impress anyone, at least. �" She finally lets go of you while covering the most annoying, artificial laugh you’ve ever heard with her hand. �" I’ll see you later. Wait until dad hear about this. �" She grins menacingly, like trying to threaten you. What does she mean with that, you have no idea.

 

 �" Well... We’ll see about that when the time comes. �" You hiss back while wiping some blood from your mouth.

 

 �" Hmpf! Since when you grew a backbone like this? And stop calling me “sis.” That’s weird. �" She scolds you before storming out of the room.

 

 While stretching from that little fun time you had with her you look around to see what that freak of a doctor did to you. You feel much, much weaker than you’ve ever felt, almost as if your powers weren’t there at all. What’s going on?

 

 Back at the real world

 

 �" So, how long will this take? �" Hirusha asks Cosack about Edgar’s current condition. His head is hanging lifeless in the air, and the only movement coming from him is from his breathing.

 

 �" For us, only an hour. For him... Well, let’s not ruin the surprise. �" TC says while smirking a menacing smug. Something about that smile screams 3 red flags at once. �" And once it’s done, he’ll come over to us like a lost puppy, just you wait... �" He starts to laugh a bit at whatever he may be thinking about.

 

Back inside Edgar’s mind

 

 You can tell something isn’t right about this. Whenever you are this isn’t home.

 

 �" Cosack! Where the hell am I? Come over and fight me you coward! �" Nothing happens. Since staying here won’t bring you answers you decide to give Rose a call. But something isn’t right. Her number isn’t recorded on your phone for some reason, and that makes you a bit worried. You call her nevertheless since you remember her number and wait the first few beeps...

 

 �" ...Who’s this number from? �" She asks you with a cold tone to her voice, like you weren’t supposed to know that number.

 

 �" ...It’s Edgar. Rose... �" As soon as she hears you call her name she says in an even colder tone.

 

 �" Listen here you punk. I don’t know who you are, but you better not call this number again. Do it and I’ll take care of you myself. �" She hangs up right after that potential death threat. Just what’s happening here?

 

 You decide to go pack your stuff. When you enter your room you almost drop nothing from your hand. It feels like this room belongs to a completely different person. Your posters, your sandbag and fighting stuff, your bed, computer, everything. It’s still there, but it feels like this room would belong to the weakest nerd of the existence. You even smell a faint, unpleasant smell in the air coming from where your computer is.

 

 �" Well... This is unsettling, also creepy. �" You go over to your infamous punching bag. The problem with this one is that instead of being completely ragged all over it’s completely whole, almost as if you have never touched it. You can say the same about your gloves, and that makes you wonder why things are like this. What did Cosack did to you? Those questions race through your mind like jets, but you decide to focus on something else. You go over to your backpack close to your computer, only to find something that unsettles you so badly you amost turn away. You see hidden inside it a small knife with a faint red tint in it.

 

 �" Why... Why is this here..? What’s going on? Is this really my backpack? Is this even my room? �" You start to look around, pondering for a second if this room could belong to anybody else. �" I mean... it sure looks like it could be someone else’s, but... It feels familiar to me. Why..?

 

 Almost as if by magic you start to notice things in the room you didn’t before. Pieces of toilet paper scattered in a corner, a dry red tint on some spots on the floor, among other things you try your hardest not to pay attention to. You look at the time, February 10, 11:30, and decide it’ll be best if you just go to the academy.

 

 As you’re about to leave you see your mom coming in. Someone to talk to, finally!

 

 �" Hey, mom! �" She looks at you, terrified, and power walks to the kitchen. �" Oh, ok... We’ll chat when I come back! �" You leave, nervous of why she did that.

 

 Everything else that follows is exactly the same: the buildings, Chiefinos in the distance, your friends’s houses. Nothing changed, but something feels different.

 

 Once you make it to school you see a bunch of kids minding their business. Once they notice you they make their way to “greet” you.

 

 �" Hey, Edgar! �" They’re wearing the official martial arts club, meaning they’re the “popular” kids. Funny how you never saw them before. He offers a handshake, and despite feeling like something is far from being right you shake it. As soon as he has your hand his grip goes from 10 to 100 in a second. You can feel your hand being crushed by his 100 ton grip like it was made of glass, but you decide to tighten your own, making him do a surprised face. �" Oh! So you wanna fight back? Fine by me! �" He somehow puts even more strengh in his grip, easily outpowering you. You flinch at his sheer strengh, but wonder why you lost if, according to your calculus you shouldn’t be weaker than him.

 

 �" ...Hey, cut it off you jerk! �" You punch him with your free hand, and this is where you realize something: for some reason all the practice you had with your Powers is now gone, and your punch is so slow and weak he doesn’t even dodge it, instead grinning while letting go of you.

 

 �" Heh, at least you’re learning how to fight back! �" He taps your shoulder. �" But do it again and you won’t get out so easily...

 

 You shrug him off and go straight to class. Something you start to pay attention to is that everyone looks at you like you were a nature freak. They whisper when you cross their path, they look at you with a hideous face, some even insult you. At one point a guy pushes you, making you trip and nearly fall on your face, if not for your reflexes. At least something came with you to this “world”

 

 �" Watch where you’re going, Powerless freak! �" He and a handful of people starts laughing. Powerless? What does he mean? No evidences of people without a Power, for as useless as it was, have been recorded in the last 500 years, and you sure are far from being in that list.

 

 As you try to stand up, he kicks you in the gut, making you spit and writhing in pain. You give him a death glare, stunning him for a second, but he kicks you again yelling. �" Give me that look again and you’re dead!

 

 The rest of school goes like that. Everyone looks at you like a second head have appeared, making you look to your back time after time to make sure Natasha wasn’t following you like usual. No one, not even the teachers, look at you in any other way. Eventually you see Sarah, your History teacher, and go after her to clarify things. Once you ask her something she slaps you across the face so hard it leaves a mark.

 

 �" Get away from me you pervert! �" She yells before backing off. Pervert? You? All of that makes you realize something: Whatever Cosack did to you, you are not in your world, and it seems you won’t leave this one anytime soon. All of that builded up inside you: being slapped by the person who always looked up to you the same way you did to her, being called a pervert without a clear reason, being ignored by everyone and treated like a freak, all of that almost leaks from how angry it made you. Don’t these weaklings know who they’re dealing with? In any case, you do as she says and leave her side, giving her a death glare.

 

 Time passes and school finally ends. You don’t waste time into going to the hideout, only to find out that it was also different from what it should be. There’s no Tv, and a lot of the things that you suggested putting there is also missing. You do see the gang chilling though, making your heart skip a beat. Finally you can solve things with them.

 

 �" Hey guys! �" You shout from a distance. Everyone is taken aback by your presence as Derick takes a fighting stance. You ignore him, but you don’t realize that everyone else just looks up. Suddenly a pair of arms wrap your waist, lifting you a bit. You’re eventually dragged to where they are, and everyone, Rose, Natasha, Derick and Bastion, looks at you with the same faces that everyone in school made. �" Don’t have to be this rough, you know? �" You let Rose know, despite not seeing her.

 

 �" Who are you and what are you doing here? �" Bastion asks while adjusting his glasses. Derick takes his fighting stance again.

 

 �" Can I punch his guts out? �" He smiles sadistically, only to be scolded by Natasha.

 

 �" You know that won’t happen while we’re around, so quit it! �" She then looks closer to you. �" Isn’t he that Powerless guy everyone talks about back at the academy? How did he found this place?

 

 �" Yes, actually now that you mentioned it... �" Bastion also takes a closer look at you. Eventually Rose shows up from a tree, still holding you up.

 

 �" Hey Rose! Finally found you! �" She makes a “I-know-this-guy-from-somewhere!” face while looking at you. Eventually she realizes who you are and proceed to slap you across the face. Damn...

 

 �" You’re that stalker who somehow got my phone, aren’t you? You little... �" She grabs a knife, slicing your face... It itches.

 

 �" What was that for? Is this how you treat a friend? �" You yell at her, a vein popping on your forehead. She shrugs you off.

 

 �" I’ve never seen you before you freak. Now, care to tell me how you found this place?

 

 �" How I found this place? I’m the one who discovered it, back when I was 3! You remember, right Bastion? �" You look at him while gesturing something he would have found funny, but here he just looks at you and say.

 

 �" No, I’m the one who found this at age 3. And I’m the one who built it from scratch. And I’m the one who assembled the team. �" His voice getting colder with each word. Since when he got like this? �" And now you’ll answer us. �" He... raises his hand. Never a good sign. You soon find yourself covered in an air bubble, preventing you from breathing for about 10 seconds. �" How did you found this place you Powerless reject?!

 

 �" I... I... �" For the first time in years you don’t have a comeback. Is it because you’re actually scared of him? Of your own childhood best friend? �" I.. don’t own explanations to bullies like you.

 

 Your words take him by surprise, making him look at his own hands. �" Me? A bully? No, I mean... �" Rose starts to tighten her grip on you to the point where a rib breaks... What..?

 

 �" ARGH! �" You scream in pain while she lets go of you. You don’t waste time in taking fighting stance, which surprises her like that one time... No time for flashbacks, because she looks like she’s ready to stab you.

 

 �" Come at me! You may have a good stance, but you don’t know what you’re doing, you copycat! �" That triggers you, making you pounce on her. She sidesteps and slashes your side, making you scream again. It’s almost as if your body couldn’t keep up with the pain, like it wasn’t used to it.

 

 �" Please, stop it! She won’t go easy on you just because you’re Powerless, so quit it! �" Natasha’s kind heart and concern over people haven’t left her, but you’re so angry you don’t pay that attention as you stand up with a hand to your cut, ready to leave them, your friends, alone.

 

 You storm your way to home, not looking back even once. They dare do such thing to a long time friend like you!

 

 As soon as you get there you’re welcomed by a punch, sending you flying to the front yard. You don’t make to the end of it, as your father pulls you back in with his gravity manipulation. He holds you by your neck as you can now look at what have happened to Diask’s prideful, cocky face. He then punches you out of the blue.

 

 �" That was for being late. �" He punches you again. �" That’s for annoying Diane the way you did. �" And he punches you once more, packing a few extra pounds to it. �" And this is for talking to Elizabeth! �" That last one almost drops you unconscious. He never did this to you. No matter how harsh he was it was always part of his little act, but now you could visibly see his anger and struggle with every punch. He drops you, making you look up, but he manipulates your gravity, making you as heavy as a car. You can feel your bones nearly crack from the pressure, air leaving your lungs like they were on fire, the broken rib wiggling inside your chest.

 

 �" Dad... Please, stop..! This hurts... �" That doesn’t make him stop, instead it makes him grin menacingly.

 

 �" Why should I? It hurts, huh? Like your little pasttime in your bedroom? �" He raises you again, gripping his hands around your neck. �" I don’t want to look at this pathetic face of yours for the rest of the day. That also means no dinner for you. Goodnight... �" He headbutts you, knocking you out cold for good.



© 2019 Regular Sama


Author's Note

Regular Sama
The next chapter will tackle some self harm and a higher degree of violence than usual. Be wary of that when reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019


Author

Regular Sama
Regular Sama

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil



About
Not much to talk about. Just a brazilian who likes games, chit-chatting, roleplaying to some degree and of course reading. more..

Writing