Chapter 45: XVI: The Tower

Chapter 45: XVI: The Tower

A Chapter by Latifa Rahim
"

"Evil comes faster than it leaves". In Naino Settlement, the turf war everyone had hoped wouldn't happen then broke into mass hysteria.

"


--------------------------------------------------

H

aving assembled what's left from the team, Lady planned her way to infiltrate D'Euchre turf and outroot the source of Naino's downfall:HOUNDS. Assisted by Tan Peach a.k.a Chadna herself (turns out she's apro quid pro spy in Qizilgϋl!), Reita's order is to disperse anesthetic pills prescribed from Doc. While the two's at it, Tiriaq and Thomas would go to Sigurt Schovišča, deranging citizen's trust to both Nasilje and D'Euchre turfs. This, Lady said, will be her prime card to gain as many as supporter from Naino's inhabitant. The more they can get public trust, the feebler Nasilje and D'Euchre will, depleted of their believer. Minutes before midnight, Reita and Chadna's plan should be finished; time to change player: Jadel and Banri. Being the only men capable of combat, they are tasked of great importance to infiltrate the home base of D'Euchre. There is just one drawback, though: Kamilah and Yaed remains like two Jokers on card game. Untouched, tricky and no one knows where will they end-- the real X-factor on this reckless bet.

 

19th day in Ka'Umiest. 9 PM late. Antechambré's attic: Order ensued. Lady have explained well of her plan overthrowing two powerhouses of Vita Tres, Nasilje and D'Euchre. Her henchmen brought back several boxes supplies, tiny gear used for stealth job included: hairpin modified as lock opener, throwing knives, flash bombs and even pepper spray. Seeing those challenging tools, Jadel made an understatement they won't probably much of use. Like a sullen idler loitering in public thoroughfare, he lack understanding of how these could help their mission.

 

"Pff, what are ya gonna do with child's play like... this?"

"Best prepared or you'll be sorry!" Reita replied.

"You won't know when or how you'll end up!"

Seeing the blatant ignoramus, Lady smirked slyly. "Boy, you're not fit to hunt prey

here."

"What's that, old hag?!"

"I said that, because you can't fathom the importance daily tools. They are deadly

enough if you know how to utilize them."

 

Banri nodded in agreement; being a lone hunter for almost his whole life, he might have stumbled upon many occasion where unthinkable tools could be more helpful than they look.

 

"She's right. For instance, take a look at this small brooch." he picked up one

from the box. "One glance you'd think this is mere accessory women would wear

without specific meaning. But..."

then he opens the jewel, revealing a tiny vial containing a pinch of liquid inside.

"This is sleeping poison, most likely."

"You have keen eyes, boy." Lady complimented him.

"C'mon, I'm not that young anymore." Banri's smile looks bleak.

"Anyway, seeing how small the amount of this liquid, one drop probably enough

to send one or two men dozing off for several hours."

"Whoa! Really?! That's... Cool!" Jadel's face brightened in curiosity.

"We don't have time for this, really!"

Before anything, Tiriaq reminds the team about things they has to do individually.

 

"Oh, right. Well then, it's our turn first, Mr. Tiriaq?" Thomas stood up, receiving

back both his Zircon Edge sword and shield from Lady's guard.

"Will you be okay, boy?" Chadna sounds afflicted to her worry.

"I'll be, Miss!" the cheerful boy replied with a wide grin.

"Let's go, Mr. Tiriaq! We'll be off, everyone! See you later!" then he exits.

"Youngsters are sure having trouble to contain their abundance of energy..." Banri

made a light joke.

Nodded, Lady made sure her men checked the two until they descended

Antechambré's stairs safely.

"Next, you're going to several of our brothels." she turned to Reita and Chadna.

"Here is your destination, marked in this map." Handed over to Chadna, a

parchment scribbled in contrast ink of purplish black. Lady chose her as the guide

of this mission, since Chadna have gone through this like a walk in park.

 

"So it's the usual then, Lady?" Chadna asked.

"Like usual, but now you're going with this lass, you may attract unwanted

companion."

"I understand." Chadna nodded, then smiled to Reita. "Don't worry, I can

remember the path accurately. In turn, you'll protect me, right?"

"That's what I'm planning to." Reita replied, adjusting her blade sheath dipped on

her belt.

"Humph. It'd be better if you can... scourge more of your femme's quality,

though." Lady made a mocking grunt.

"Not a single woman here is brave enough to hold their own, you know."

"That's a compliment, right, Lady?" Banri raised his humor to avoid more

arguments.

"Yes, yes, whatever. Go downstairs and prepare yourselves." the older woman

dismissed one of her guard to take Reita and Chadna to the preparation room.

 

Done with their preparation, the guard showed Reita and Chadna a backway off Antechambré. Chadna herself suggested it would be best if they use more concealed way out so they won't attract too much commotion; especially now is the hour of naught. Voice of cricket and nocturnal insect's rhythmic duet elaborates to moon's shine so pessimistic it starts to wane under the clouds.

Chadna and Reita began their mission; going through lone streets dozing to deep sleep. First block passed safely! No one seems to bat an eye seeing two young ladies walking on their own in darkened lanes. Chadna took both of them past the sixth intersection, going left all the way till they run to meet a butchery. She spoke of kindness given by the butcher to Antechambré workers, some days he would stop by and donating some of his products to be dined. Through the butchery and other stalls, the two took another left turn past the second right with red telephone pole on it.

Running past some shady figures conducting drunken behavior on the back of a pub, finally they arrived at the entrance of D'Euchre turf's territory. This is it, spoke both ladies on their sweaty palms. Reita took defensive stance before Chadna, asking would they be likely greeted with some buff ruffians on the way. Chadna said it's unlikely, for this hour most people would avoid loitering around, lest they'll get caught in meaningless taunt.

 

"Alright then, lead on. Where should we go next?" Reita treaded carefully on the

map held by her partner.

"See here. It's the brothel I frequented back then-- Nectarines."

"Gotcha. Lead on. I'm right behind you."

 

Forwarding their steps, the two entered Nectarines-- one of brothel pillaged under Lady's authority. It isn't as big as Antechambré, of course; the building itself has near to its grotesque. Stains of grime on its iron bars showed that age has eaten most of its prudent past; untouched plastic bag full of food wastes stacked near its entrance. Truly a disheartening feels, seeing the worker girls gawking at customer, trying to get their attention with body weak from malnutrition and gown patched with musty fabrics. One of them seems to realize Chadna and Reita's incoming; she know right away that an old friend have come from afar. She waved, shouted to Chadna with stapled excitement.

 

"Tan Peach! Hellooooo!" she shouted. Chadna nodded to Reita, introducing the

worker girl.

"This is my old friend, Suzy. Suzy, how are you? This is my friend, Reita."

Suzy's eyes wandered around Reita's odd attire; one she hasn't saw for years worn

by female around her town.

"Hmmm. You're from outside? Never seen the likes of you before."

"Good evening. Nice to meet you." Reita tried to keep her words at minimum.

"Are you here for it again, Tan Peach?" Chadna nodded.

"Yes. This time, the pills is bit special."

"Hey, is it okay to tell her?" Reita whispered quietly. Chadna nodded firmly.

"Don't worry, Suzy is also working straight under Lady. Like me, she's a spy."

 

"Heeey, you made it as if I'm a suspicious character!" Suzy cackled a hearty laugh.

"Leave it to me. How many do you want?"

"Around thirty will be good. We have to go to other places." Chadna bid her

farewell.

"That's a shame! Can't you come and chat? We haven't meet for months!"

"Thanks, Suzy. I'll come by again later, okay?" The two then bid farewell to Suzy,

who went back inside quickly after got her share of pills.

 

Chadna told Reita that Suzy's quite the pro; thirty men are cakes for her. At first, Reita had no respect for women who dwell in unctuous business such as what Chadna and Suzy does. Yet, now she realized the utmost importance besides having mere power to crush enemies. Using their brain and fathomable femme charm, host and hostess can be formidable foes to go against. Information flow like swelling river as soon as their customer ensnared on delight traps laid by bedlam's embrace.

Finally finished with their adversary, Reita and Chadna headed back towards Antechambré. It is almost 11 PM, only couple of minutes more for the pills to work entirely, incapacitating dozens of Nasilje and D'Euchre men, forcing them to retire from battles they haven't yet fought. As they headed back, Chadna asked Reita what it feels like to venture out in the world being a female herself. Reita told many stories of her travel; the happy times, sad and devastating times too. Started with crippling condition, she spoke. Reita wasn't a strong fighter herself until she was taught how to fight by her team mates. Chadna's mind processed Hameda's advice for her to go outside from this hellhole-- the story Reita shared to her ignites her resolve even more.

Not too far from Antechambré's back way, suddenly the two met dozens of men carrying brute weapon. Crooked bat adorned with rusty nails, red-stained pipe, banditswords and even firearm. Quickly, the red-haired girl positioned herself in front of Chadna.

 

"Look what we have here!" One of the gangsters grinned, his teeth rocking in

grimace.

"Two lasses lost their way back. Poor girls!" his mock invites rancid laughs from

his mates. "How about we show you the way back, lassie? Of course, the way

back to... Our paradise! Hyah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!" his boastful attitudes bears

semblance to mangy dog who's all bark.

"Let us through. We don't want any trouble." Reita tried to negotiate her way out.

"Trouble? Why, you're already inside one, lass! Hyah-hah-hah-hah!!" the gang

laughed again.

"Now, c'mere quietly. We promise we won't hurt you... Keh-heh-heh-heh!" he

starts drooling.

Such vile expression made Reita turned her head away in disgust of rhetorical

emesis feels.

"Reita, do you think we can... escape?" Chadna whispered.

"I think... They got us surrounded."

 

Her words rampages Reita's sense. She turned back, scanned around and indeed! They have been surrounded. Nowhere to run; from every opening more of his kind busts through, spewing utter nonsense about skewering them into pieces after the fun. Reita took a deep breath, counting numbers. Ten, eleven, twelve... she went on. Fifteen, sixteen, seventeen... Then goes to twenty. Estimated of twenty-three men assembled around Reita and Chadna. This calls for new pitch in their gig, she thought.

 

"Chadna." she called. "You said you wanted to go outside from here, right?"

"Y- Yes, I did... But, what's that got to do with our current... situation?" Chadna

could feel her knees weakening.

"Don't go limp on me now. Can you run?" Reita whispered.

"I'll bust our way through the front line. Run to the West Gate!" she commanded.

"W- West Gate?! But that's-- That's where they came from! Won't we get caught,

running straight to their keep?"

"Have faith in me, Chadna."

 

Reita recalled a similar saying, someone have spoken many times. Yes, she nodded. Alma said that. Also Jadel. Those two, are whom she most indebted with-- Alma saved her many times from convolution; Jadel have saved her twice from death's door. They spoke of the same words: Have faith in your friend. Chadna saw Reita's eyes creamed with bold resolve. She nodded, then tightened her sandal's lace.

 

"Where are you going, lass?" the brute sneered again.

"You won't go anywhere, mind you! Can't bust your way out with us here!"

"Save your penchant for later, d****e!" Reita grinned victoriously.

"On my mark!" she bent her back, stance readied. "Go!!"

 

Chadna took one huge leap, she trotted forwards and dashed. Much to the brute's surprise, his prey is actually trying to escape. Eluded, he gripped the crooked bat he had been holding onto.

 

"H- Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" he flinched.

"D- Do you really think you can escape? Feh! Not a chance! Men!! Get her!!" he

raised his hand; signaling the fight's countdown.

From every direction the gang were, brutes ran forward to cram Chadna's escape

route. Faltered, she lowered her speed a bit, but Reita shouted courage.

"Don't stop running! Trust me!!!" she fastened her foot to the ground.

"Get her!!" As every brutes have went out from their hiding place, escape route

to the West Gate have been barred close with their aggravating figure.

 

Chadna took a deep breath, braced herself for any impact. I have to trust Reita! Her mind hoarse. Hameda said it takes more than just a bravery to get out from this slump, find my footing on the outside world and actually survive within it. I'll try. It'll be okay, she muttered. Then Hameda's face came to her mind. His stern face, embossed with oddly long eyelashes, golden iris cupped inside its cat-eye sheath. His silver hair smeared by the room's dim light, looks like a forgotten jewel brought back to its former shine.

Hameda.

Chadna suddenly remember the taste of his lips. His bitter loneliness, all engulfed in steel-tempered kindness. Hameda. She nodded, her eyes now glimmers in the same dint like Reita's. Lend me your strength! She called out, invigorating herself with more courage partaken from her faith.

 

"Keep up, Chadna! Don't fall! Just few more steps!" Reita's words encouraged her

from behind. Just as she planned, every nook of the street has been emptied,

now the gang have regrouped themselves in one area.

"Gotcha!" she licks her lips, flaring image of victory emblazoned on her eyes.

 

Puddles of water suddenly gravitate towards her, shaking meticulously like a coerced pendulum. They vibrates along with Varunastra's glow in ultramarine blue. Unsheathing it gives off sheen metallic sound breaking the night's stillness. The brute didn't realize he's done for; eyes etched forever to his feeble prey.

 

"Good night, gentlemen!"

 

Reita pointed Varunastra upwards. Its shine aureate in various spectrum of blue and green; venting itself against the cold air. The water puddle raised themselves, along with more of water-like substances are there around: wine inside their barrel, leftover mop liquid, tap water and also grains of them from within the muddy ground.

 

"Dragonbender!!!" Reita screamed her spell.

 

Resembling twilight, intermittently flashing in the same hues like Varunastra. The dragon roars, fleshed out from its natural element. The brute and his gang struck speechless-- if not in awe-- seeing high-end magick is working on its plate.

 

"He... What... is that?!" he took few steps back.

Chadna also stopped; she's opaque with both lawful curiosity and perhaps, fear.

"What are you staring at?! Run! Run!!!" Reita brought her sense back.

"A- Alright!" Chadna nodded, then she ran again.

 

Whoosh! Between the confusion, the brute didn't realize he had made some slit opening for the slim woman! She managed to curl her way out, exceedingly smooth for someone without power to fight back. The brute didn't have time to worry though-- Reita followed Chadna's back, taking along her dragon. It sliced through every of the brute's man into torn pieces, fully depleting them of any willpower there is to fight.

 

"See you later, skunks!" Reita rasped and rolled out her tongue.

The two ran into another narrow lane, and into others, slowly disappearing from

the brute's sight. Not that he still have his balls to stand on, though.

 

--------------------------------------------------


Sharp 11 PM, Antechambré. Lady informed this is time for Banri and Jadel to go on their mission. These men are to assimilate themselves into D'Euchre main base, where their leader-- name and face unknown, along with the HOUNDS troop supposedly staying around. Banri and Jadel both possess acute intuitive and both voracious in their power. Yet, the state they are now-- useless banter, constant arguing with mockery splotched to each other, their keenness somehow became dull. No choice left, though. Everybody else is out there doing their job, right?

Thus, they departed, carrying only their own trusted armaments and few healing supplies. The map handed down by Lady's henchman points to an unused factory building nested southward from Antechambré. Located within boundless rockwall of the mountain range, it is said to be haunted and not even a single citizen dared to pry into. Like a strike of firefly chord, Jadel and Banri stew the night away. Running towards small streets, jumping and sometimes hiding from suspicious group of people.

 

"Hey, move aside! It's way too cramped here!" One time, they were hiding 

behind stacked empty wine barrels.

Group of people said to be looking for challengers loitering around. The two

were forced to stay low under the scarce protection of mere wooden tubes.

"Shuddap! Ya move yer a*s, beardy!" Jadel hissed; his breath caught the wind and

got louder.

"Ssh! Tone your voice down! Brat!" The older man landed a scolding slap to his

head.

"Wha- What's that for, beardy?! Come and do it again!"

 

Sore of being mocked, Jadel tried to get his rebuke... But his arms foiled the barrel down instead. Rummaging sounds clashes the quiet air; revealing both his and Banri's figure streaking clear under the moonlight.

 

"Hey! Someone's there!" One brute spotted them, shouted to his friend and soon

Jadel know that he had done something wrong.

"Look what you did!" Banri's eyes bulges in anger. "You brat!!"

"Hey! You're the one to talk!" Jadel argued back. "If ya didn't slap me then none of

this would happen!"

"Argh! Shut up! Now what do we do?! We've been found!" Banri leapt from his

hiding place and began running away.

"Wait for me, beardy! Oy!!" the younger man follows.

"Over there! Get them!"

 

One way only to not get caught: run with all your might. Thus, the two ran away, going detour some tad bits while at it. Later on they would go into another situation alike, giving them less time to actually fulfill the mission. If just they were compatible to each other... Nonetheless, after few detours, busting through group of bandits left and right (not to mention breaking clay spittoons which will be billed to Lady tomorrow!), they have arrived.

Finally, the entrance to D'Euchre home base: a sewer. Manhole containing sewage, drainage water, all sorts of trash and waste, also gathering place of horrible pests named mice, bats, slug et cetera. Staring at the round iron lid, those two are completely speechless what to say...

Silvery gleams of moonlight illuminates the rotund opening under the ground. Connection of passage underground was man-borne under the caprice of tenants often loss of daily necessities. People said, if you walk long enough, this manhole will lead somewhere free-- somewhere off-place than this tightbolt of glum yards. That's what they believed, until their feet are too tired to walk on. So they stumble upon the walls, carving nails deep into its crevice and wished for miracle to happen. Maybe later, someone would save them, feed them, brought profitable justice to them. That's what they believed, until their feet are now maggot's bait.

Jadel and Banri are on their way passing through the sewer tunnel. Not only the rabid stink oozing from wastewater agitates their sense of smell, being in dark, damp and hallow area actually made Jadel's conviction truer of his phobia: mainly, arachnids. Thousands of swearing words he had uttered about not wanting to set foot again to morbid places such as this, yet he question his own dumb luck that now he's here. Banri tried to keep his patient bags firm in order to prevent much energy-wasting arguments with the last person on Gaia he would want to end up with. The two continued long, winding clock-wise as they have been instructed.

Halfway through, the 'checkpoint' mentioned by the informant finally shows itself in front of the two. The informant calls this place the Land of Corpse, where people who are either brave or dumb enough to spend their lives trailing this sewer and held hope it would lead somewhere absolved. Piles of deadmen lumps together like a clay dough waiting to be molded. They oozes putrid fumes from their barren jaws, greenish liquid flows through nook and cranny with squads of flies harrowing over. The Deadman were all, once people who have grown tired of condemned repetition on the upper ground. Fighting becomes daily meal, slandering others and demonizing your neighbor are everyone's favorite pastime. Ruled by raw force, these people have been forced to indulge themselves in vain enthusiasm-- so they tried, or applied a bit of revolution. A passive one, then tragically ends in alleyway full of necrophile insects and grub maggots.

 

"Urgh, this place is rotten as f**k!" Jadel tip-toed his steps while walking close to

the Wall

 "Right. It stinks so bad I can't even smell my own fart!" Banri tried to laugh his

way off.

"Why the heck we're even here, old fart?!"

"The informant said we'd arrive at D'Euchre faster via this route, right?"

The man with slicked hair complained. "I bet we're duped! Yeah! That informant

must've been a spy from enemy's turf! Of course they'd want to dunk us into..."

he saw on his left-- a fresh corpse caked on moss, gooey rotten liquid and flesh

eating slugs. "...that kind of being."

"We have no choice, brat.' The older man reprimand him. "Like it or not, we'll

gonna do this. For the sake of our friends."

"I don't remember befriend those scallyw-- HEY!" Jadel shouted. "It's the way

out!"

 

He pointed at one section of the tunnel, it has light emitting from it. Underneath, a bar of iron stair goes upwards. There's no room for doubt, it is as the guide said: Four right, six left straight ahead and dead left after the land of corpse. Banri and Jadel's demise have been put out by the stair's appearance.

Swiftly they ascend the vertical stairs. Up from their vision is the lid of manhole supposedly connecting to D'Euchre's headquarter. Heeding the moral code of stealth job, the two carefully slid the iron bar open without making any rustic noise that could alarm their enemy. Then, the two went into the new opening they have made earlier. Jadel goes first, scanning far as his eyes could reach for potential harbinger. After he made sure no one's around, he signaled Banri to come through. Finally! The older man thought; freeing himself from the absurd flotsam underneath.

 

"You're sure nobody's around?" he made sure one last time before fully climbed

into the room.

"Sure as hell. Make it quick, beardy."

"Whoa, we're really here..." Banri's mouth sprinkled in relieved smile, seeing

blocks of paint crisscrossed on the room's wall, read D'Euchre.

"Don't slow my steps." Jadel grinned. "Let's go!"

 

Flattened footsteps rammed the stoned ground; Jadel and Banri's. The two quickly made their way into enemies headquarter, starting from a room connected to underground sewer, located in the base's far end. They soon found out they were indeed, inside the abandoned factory. No one seems to be around when they hailed from the rear entrance. It looks like a plain factory, main hall filled with unused equipment’s, now rusted through into the cables. Stacks of bagged substance are stored high out of people's reach, possibly they were manufactured inside this very building but failed to made their way out. Several doors numbered from one to five spans across the large room, each shut tight with bolt of chain layered into the grip.

 

"Hey, we're in the right place, ain't we?" Banri starts to doubt himself.

"The hell you're talkin'? Of course IT IS the right building!" Jadel hissed.

"Then why it's so dead silent?"

 

Curious, Jadel stepped around to see. Around the machineries: no one detected. Between the stacked bags: also no one. Then he tries to break open the numbered doors to no avail; his conclusion: no one have passed there for a long time. Puzzled, he went back to his station.

 

"You're right, nobody's here. As if this factory itself hasn't been invaded by living

presence for decades!"

"Hrm. We might've took the wrong stair, then. Just be safe, let's go back to

where we came."

 

Jadel nodded, then turned around. From behind, quite far from hands reach: a planted pipe. Mossy, rusty and crooked everywhere-- suddenly, two darts flew without sound. Whizz! They hit right in Jadel and Banri's thigh vein, piercing through their protective garment.

 

"W- What is...?!" Banri turned around, then realized his own error.

"W- We've been had...!" he tumbled.

Banri could feel his leg benumbed, gradually losing its ability to hold his weight

on. The same goes to Jadel, although this young man refuses to go down without

a fight of his own. He bent himself into Mörs, uttering an offensive spell.

"Feathergust!!" he yelled.

 

Veil of breezes hurled off from his greatsword, fowling towards the enemies in vertical spinning motion. Banri's eyes slowly focused on hordes of men in various style of formal clothes standing at the factory's front door. They wore the same sunglasses, hiding their scars under those shaded optics.

 

"Damn you...!" Banri took a stretch of his bowline, but suddenly he was hit from

behind by a wandering vice pliers. Hitting straight to his nape, the older man

fainted.

"Old man!!" Jadel tried to grab him, but then comes another assault, heavy blow

to his head. Both lost consciousness, hearing the enemies' coarse laughs while

being carried elsewhere...

 

Wham! Two consecutive punches landed on both Jadel and Banri's head. Such strong blows literally jotted their consciousness back. Their eyes flutters open, trying to re-visualize the surrounding. Banri felt his whole body vexed with throbbing pain, more on his leg. His arms are secured tight on rope, tied away from his control. His ears caught few voices echoing in and out-- one of them sounds familiar, and... Annoying.

Banri's eyes focused; then turned left. Beside him sat Jadel, trying to break his chained arms open. His mouth hoarding all swear words and mock he can imagine, to another man seated in a sole chair. Adorned in wondrous craft of gold, the man only sneer down while Jadel taunts him.

 

"Didja hear me, cantankerous buffoon?! Untie this s****y chain, now!!" he

demands. The man stilled himself. Tidied beside him are his bodyguards, the

same Banri saw

when they were attacked at the factory's entrance. Their complexion showed

fierce passion of breaking teeth and bones, though their boss spoke against it.

"The f**k are you smirking about?! Didja find this funny?!!"

"Hey, brat. Shut up, my ears are ringing from your shouting." Banri complained.

"Oh! Beardy! You're awake, huh? Let's just... Untie ourselves and give these

sickbombs a beating or two!" he struggled again.

"It's useless, you know. Those chains are sturdiest we can procure." the man

boasted.

"Why don't we have a chat? I'll be delighted to know my fort's trespasser..."

"To hell with that!" Jadel's face forwarded, he shouted loud clear as day.

 

Quickly, the man standing behind him (without him knowing, of course.) stroke his hand against Jadel's back of head, ramming it into the rigged pavements. The man winced in pain as his cheekbone straddled the rocks and bleed.

 

"Jadel! Hey...!" Banri was about to stop the man, but he was too fast.

 

Swift as wind, the man raised his leg and landed one drop kick to Banri's right shoulder. By god's thunder, he curses. It's his dominant hand, relied to shot arrows out. Banri felt his bone cracked in writhing sound as he frayed to the ground. Cries of agony bellows from the older man's mouth. His comrade could only shout some more curse words to the man in throne.

 

"I prefer my guests to be well-mannered, thank you." The man sat up, revealing

his slim build lacquered under tight grey pants with vertical lines as motif, same

goes for his vest. His hair, slicked back like Jadel's, revealing tricky smile of his

with several cut scars on both foreheads.

"Do you have any questions?" he askedcalmly.

"Who the heck are you?!" Jadel moved his jaw under a palm's pressure.

"The name's Runo McFleece. D'Euchre's founder... and leader." he bent his back

forward. "And you, my dear trespassers? What are your names?"

"Who are you to command us, shitbag?!" Jadel shouted, then gets another ram

from Runo's henchman. His cheekbone grazed the ground deeper, cutting more of

his skin.

"Urgh!!" he cried.

 

"Maybe you don't understand what I said just now? I like my guests to be well

mannered. You should, really." Runo smiled slyly. "Right now you're our guest."

"Pfeh! I'd better have tons of Troitelle fruits on my throat than having tea party

with you!" Banri sneered eventhough his shoulder aches in pain.

"Hmph. Do you think I didn't know you were coming?" Runo sat back down.

"Were? Why the past word, you might ask?" he favored himself an odd question.

"Gentlemen. You are well-acquaintance with Mashe, aren't you? Oh wait... You

call him Alma, Right?"

"Is this about your quarrel trying to get him into your silly turf?" Banri flashed a

sardonic smile.

"I see you're quick to understand. That makes things easier, then. I assume he's

inside Antechambré? Resting…  Peacefully, I believe. He got attacked by some

Nasilje brutes, or so I heard."

 

Jadel's eyes twitched. Hurriedly, he close his mouth before it blurts out anything

that can spoil their plan. "Don't be surprised, don't be." Runo waved his hand.

"D'Euchre is specialized in getting rumor, news and information. This, at least,

you knew, right?"

Banri stilled his eyes, sharp like a hawk. "Good." Runo nodded.

"Nothing is safe from us. Nothing. Hide, hide. We'll uncover them without you

even realizing we have." he hummed dolefully.

"Heh. If you knew he's there, what's the use holding us here?" Jadel smirked.

"Lame as f**k." he spat.

"There is a reason why they hauled you here."

 

Another voice strums from a room near Runo's seat. From there, one man with solid chunk of armor, glinted ivory and ochre on the curves, stepped outside. He wore a full-fledged helmet, pointy upwards like Sahagin's claw with obvious, contrast carving of HOUNDS' mark on the face. Carried along with the man is a cross-shaped spear, runic scripture marching across from tip to top, a round amber jewel nested on its center.

 

"Milord." Suddenly, Runo went up from his seat. Then, along with his whole

henchmen, bowed to the armored man.

"Here comes the MVP." Jadel grinned mockingly. "What a wonderful day."

"Strap those smug smirk, brat. He's not like those we battled on merryway." Banri

warned. "Judging from his looks... I'd say he's on the same rank as that Omus guy."

"The one who beat your bro, huh?" Jadel didn't heed his advice.

"Makes things more interesting. What d'ya say we jump to him then goat his head

out?"

 

Before he could yammer any more words, hurl of byzantine-hued flash through

Jadel's eyes before smoldering his entire body. "Uaaaaaaghhh!!!" he roared in

pain.

The purplish flash rammed into his body like a curve ball of steel pouncing on

sandy ground. "Jadel!" Banri shouted.

The rest of the room paid no attention to the commotion, slowly raising their

heads while feeling triumph like gods receiving bundle of praise. With a raise of

his cross-bearing weapon, the HOUNDS receded his attack from Jadel.

"Argh! M- My sides... Ugh..." Jadel whimpered, he could feel his ligaments

cracking in demise.

 

"B*****d... So you're the HOUNDS controlling this whole town?" Banri gritted his

teeth.

"Please excuse my tardiness, Lord Gamagreba. Without your consent, I've done a

bit too playful to our guests." Runo said.

"Cease your flattery, it won't get you anywhere." the HOUNDS descended to Banri

and Jadel's side. He stared down, under his helmet.

"You are Banri Yates of Southport." he pointed the sharp end of his spear.

"You're the survivor of Vanadeus Kingdom. All my predicaments came true. Bless

our Oracle." he nodded.

"Whoa, we're quite popular among their ranks, brat!" Banri tried to shake off his

trembling hands with a light joke.

"Where's the Red One?" the HOUNDS asked. "Huh? Red-who?!" Jadel frowned.

"The Red One... A female who is said to have inherited quite the meddlesome

power... The Last Kronos."

 

Like Thor's hammer bludgeoning mountain into smithereens, the words he just said shocked Banri and Jadel. They gape in silence as the HOUNDS spoke of his true motive. Banri slowly realized that this petty turf war might be not as simple as he thought; and the team is on big problemo. The last HOUNDS the team had fought was too, opting for total destruction of Kronos' race. They were the ones gifted by Pyx' Almightiness the power to bend time and space, creating rift over history and possibly mend it to their liking

 By Giovanna the Genius' tale, Kronos has long perished way before the Ancient War happened. Possibly, they grouped into one hoping to reset the world so that inevitable calamity parsing across would not happen. Alas, as the team first-hand known, the late Princess of Vanadeus Kingdom oddly inherited such unfathomable power. Princess Vanadia herself said one unique feat she and her mother could do is 'Pray'. By their 'prayers', Vanadeus Kingdom have managed to avoid war and bloodshed all along-- prosper in peace and affirmed laws.

The day Reita descend into Gaia marks the Princess' seal of death. By the hand of Skydas Lustro, second-in command to the mysterious Mun-Khag whom the late King recognized as his brother, Vanadia succumbs to her last breath. Before she drew her final one, though, she managed to slip her power into Reita's body.

The red-haired girl's late realization of her dormant power surfaced when she faced Mathius Damhorn in deadly duel on Cobaltvine's outskirt. From thereon, Damhorn probably have spread the news about her to the whole organization. Skydas and a mysterious figure capable of seeing future events-- the Oracle, work hand-in-hand to deliberate Gaia from all traces containing Kronos' power.

Jadel could feel his throat dried out, remembering Reita is somewhere out there with one possibly not fit for combat, doing another mission. Banri tried to avert the HOUNDS' topic by taunting him, but to no avail. The HOUNDS stood straight beside Runo, siting contently on his chair.

 

"The name's Maqid Gamagreba, Commanding Officer." he spoke.

"My mission is to kill the Red One with my two hands..."

 

--------------------------------------------------


West Gate, minutes after midnight. Reita and Chadna have succeeded drifting away from malaise of brute men chasing them. By having Chadna distract the brutes with her bold escape, Reita discoursed them in one sweep using her magic spell. Though around this hour they should have been back to Antechambré; the way back is now probably sealed off. Forced to take a detour, the two girls treads upon Nasilje's territory unwillingly.

 

"Phew. Finally, we're safe... For a while." Reita sat on a bench located in an

abandoned park.

Behind her, Chadna follows. "Yes, I think there are no more of those gangs..." she

corrected her breath.

“Where are we, by the way? Is this... A park, formerly?" Reita asked.

"Yes, it is." Chadna nodded. "Back then, before this turf things start to made their

sequence into people's lives, this was the playground of many children in West

Bank area."

"I see you've seen a lot in your life, Chadna." Reita applauded.

"You're strong, you know? Living under this condition isn't for the faint-hearted."

Chadna's smile looks somewhat hostile against her reply.

"You're right. A lot has happened... I wish those HOUNDS never came in the first

place." she shook her head in regret. "Up to now, Qizilgϋl is the only turf who

refused their support in any form, thus freeing us from their direct intervention."

 

Reita nodded slowly. Her mind wander elsewhere, reminiscing her encounter with many HOUNDS she have fought. All of them sung the same chord: Destroy Kronos, Sphaera and also Signifer. Rationally thought, their leitmotif is no different than your plain ol' villain, decimate everything for the sake of harm's pleasure. But somehow she sensed disparity between them; for example her encounter with Omus Tertio. The HOUNDS was more rational than she would expect, actually listen to Dryzan's words eventhough in the last minute he went back to his former plan. The HOUNDS she met on Rampa village also seems to not have any intention to harm them; only diligently doing their task. She also sensed sudden change in Damhorn's personality, knowing he's the one with most bloodlust manner.

 

"Reita? Are you okay?" Chadna's words flick Reita back to reality.

"Eh. Um, yeah. I was just thinking about the HOUNDS." she admitted.

"You have met them in the past?" "Not just 'met', actually. We have fought them

many times. Yet..." Reita paused. "I feel somewhere in my heart their true

motive isn't as plain as mere destruction. There is... something more indelible,

schemed act behind it all."

"You're a strong girl, Reita." Out of blue, Chadna blurts out. "I envy you."

"Eh? Ehh??" Reita gasps in surprise. "W- What do you mean?"

"Seeing how you manage to fend the brutes off, then hearing your stories..." she

nodded, "Yeah, you're strong. That much of courage, isn't just bestowed to

anyone."

 

"That's not true." Reita let out a derisive chuckle. "Back then, I was weak as hell."

She remember her first days in Gaia, cowering under enemy's sight and let her

teammates do the dirty job.

"I couldn't do anything. Even defending my own self!"

"Is that true?" Chadna asked.

"Yeah. But then... Seeing people get hurt, my friends get hurt, innocent people as

well elders and children... my heart aches." she explained.

"I used to have no power at all, no control even over my own body. Born and

raised in choleric environs, I learn it's better to be submissive and crawl your way

out of trouble." Chadna listened thoroughly.

"Now that I have obtained power here... I don't want to waste it. I want to

protect people dearest to me." Reita nodded to herself.

"That much of desire, feelings... Made me somewhat strong and brave enough."

 

"I envy you, Reita. If just I'm as strong as you..." Chadna sighed.

"I, I'd really like to get out from Naino, once and for all."

"Then do it!"

" I- I don't think I can. The world outside are out of my envision, it's kind of

scary�"being there without anyone who know you, and you're literally in harm's

way."

"But you really want to do it, don't you?" Reita conned her.

"Your desire of wanting to get out is enough. Go for it, you'll regret more the

things you didn't do, afterall."

 

Moments passed while the two talks. Suddenly, a flash of bright crimson soar in the sky. Crippled from the ground was brisket of sparkling dust, molten under fiery red. Chadna's nose caught a smell of burn: of grass, sand... then flesh.

 

"W- What's happening over there?" Reita stood up, her eyes glisten.

"There's a fire over there!" Chadna pointed at one building located near the West

Gate.

"It's Nasilje's post!"

 

Before the two could act further, swarms of citizen hollered out from their settlement in sudden motion. Their faces painted disturbingly blue and a bit shade of thistle. Jaws eager to shout to each other, calling fervently names of their kin and neighbor. Some carried luggage wrapped in dusty goldenrod rag, others carried with their own hands. The swarm rustled left and right, flowing over in manic panic without any consent to do common sense.

 

One citizen ran to the park, passing Reita and Chadna's bench.

"Hey, wait up! What happened?" Reita tries to stop the man.

"W- W- We're done for!!" he whined.

"Calm down, what happened?" Reita tries to ask again.

"What are you still doing here, kid?!" one middle-aged woman, head jumbled

with clothed luggage, shouts to Reita. "It's dangerous here! You should get away

while you can!"

"Ma'am, what is going over there?" Chadna came closer to calm both citizens.

"Oh! I've seen you somewhere before!" the woman clicked her finger.

"You worked for Lady, right? The more reason you shouldn't be here!" she warned.

 

"Nasilje and D'Euchre's men suddenly explodes into fight over there." the man

explains. "At first it was only mere quarrel, but then each turf aggravates the

tension and start throwing explosives!"

"So that's what caused the fire to froth..." Reita thought to herself. "...It's

catching the wind. At this rate, the whole block will be ash by dawn comes." she

looked up to the raging wind howling like newly oiled machine gear, protruding

more fire to the settlements.

"Anyway!" The woman suddenly took ahold of Chadna's hand.

"You're not going to stay here, aren't you? Let's go somewhere safe!"

 

"Wait...! Please wait..." Chadna tugged back, then saw Reita nodded back at her.

"You know what I'm thinking, right?" Reita spoke firmly.

"Within this chaos... There is a high probability the West Gate can be burnt

down, thus revealing obvious escape for those who have longed for freedom."

Chadna's breath paced, her heart plumbed into adrenaline rush.

"You said you want to get out from here, right?" Reita stepped closer, offering her

hand to the confused older woman. "Let's go. I shall aid your way."

"B- But...!" Chadna shook her head. "It's too dangerous there! Both turfs are

fighting each other... We could get hurt!"

By her cast of doubt, Reita gave a furtive grin.

"Then, will you postpone this once-in-a-lifetime chance? I'm fine both ways."

 

Chadna gave her thought another turn. If she follow the citizens, running to a safer place, she would be likely miss her only chance to go out from Naino. But, if she's to go with Reita, her survival rate drops to mostly fifty percent, but more of it-- she gain another fifty for sneaking out once and for all from this condemned place.

 

"Which one is it?" Reita waited patiently. "Are you coming with me? Or with the

old lady and that uncle over there?"

Chadna looked around, paused long enough before she gave her answer.

"I want to go outside. I'll go with you."

Reita nodded, eyes offering renown to her courage. "Let's go. Steady your heart."

"Wait! Hey! It's dangerous over there!" the citizens' forewarning dipped slowl,

blank into the roaring flame carrying vast bravery to Chadna's firm resolve.

 

Under the bleak horizon, veins of flame channels each other into articulation of dispute. Hordes of people running awry with no sense of direction, steeping more confusion rapidly to their already-rebuked senses. Gang of brute men flooded the area like hemorrhaging infection, causing diminutive chaos with their explosive armaments. Crying voice of infants partaken in this bellowing war scene echoes like grunt of injured beast pleading for its life. Scream, a guzzling one, deluded in such high pitch it's sickening to one's ear. From women, girls, elder people and many more. Animals rumbled the street, trying to hide themselves so they won't be caught in-between of this madness.

Reita and Chadna arrived right during the climax, most of the turf men have paralyzed each other with morbidly evocated weapons. The nerve of fire have long seeded itself in people's settlements, successfully rooting its children into the whole block. How gruesome! The two said. Smell of burnt flesh mixed with chemical substance is something else, but actualization of the massacre feels revolting to the gut.

 

"This is madness! We have to stop the fire before it reaches other blocks!" Reita

shouted to Chadna, her eyes aches from bathed in too much crimson lights.

"How are we gonna do that?! People are frantically trying to get themselves into

safe places! We don't have anyone to help us!" Chadna replied.

"Right..." Reita nodded to herself. "There's nobody to help us, so the best course

of action is to get Chadna, at any cost, away from here."

"Reita! What should we do?!" Chadna called out.

"Calm down! Follow me, this way!"

 

Reita guided her through the burning ground, fallen planks and house remnants. She kept Chadna's hand stowed safe inside hers while evading people who ran into each other without second thought. The chaotic wave spread uncontrollably; no one is able to prevent fear from creeping their spines with doubt and malice.

 

"You okay?! Hang on to me! We're close!" Reita shouted to keep both herself and

Chadna's occupied with their goal.

"I'm okay! But everyone else seems not!" she replied.

"Once we break down the gate, everybody will be able to flee! So let's do our

best!"

"Alright!"

 

The two then arrived at the gate's front; with plethora of turf men warring on every sides of it. Gunshots breaching to each other's vest, endorsing soot-covered hole which gouges blood out. Knives are sheen in their metallic-coated sound, hissing boldly while they pierced each other's vein and artery. Red blood slathered in crimson light and ash wind looks even gorier than it should normally. Cries of madness precise every postmortem breath gnawing out from each one's nasal pipe; prolonging the exhaustive but incomplete rave.

Blinded by rage and deceitful pleasure, Reita saw one men wearing Nasilje's attribute jumped down from the gate's bank. Roaring like lunatic beast, he grouped into five of them then went straight to citizens still running amok. Unghastly, they cast off their blades from the sheath, swinging them vigorously while chopping several heads off. Ostentatious cackles prose their lips as more blood flooding the ground, solitary tainting it into bleak wine color. Chadna took cover behind Reita so she won't be able to see the gruesome act creed by those lethargic snobs. Carefully, the two walks closer towards the gate, trying to not catch even a pin of attention.

 

"Heeeey...." Suddenly, a heap of doleful voice cooed from behind.

"Where are you going, huh? You're... One of those Nasilje b*****d, ain'tcha!"

Reita turned around quickly. Behind her stood five brutes wearing D'Euchre

attributes, each smirking vigilantly to their soon-to-be prey.

"We're not from Nasilje, you got the wrong dude." Reita tried to cope her way

out.

"Citizens? That makes things easier then! How about we fill you up with our

sticks?

We have huge ones, mind ya! Har-har-har-har!!" they started to laugh one after

another, boastful with only bark.

"Not interested. Let's go, Chadna."

The moment Reita turned her back, a sheer sound of pointy blade aimed at her

back.

"Who said ya could turn our offer down?! Tryin' to act brave eh, wench?!" the

brute mocked.

 

Knowing there would be no way to escape him without soiling her hands, Reita has to rethink her strategy. The battleground doesn't do her any good; as far as her eyes could reach: Red flame. Her Water-based attacks won't be gaining the upper hand under these fiery hot air. Think, Reita, think! She frowned. You gotta break the gate open, quick; then get this girl outta hereWhat can I do? Her ruminating cut short as she saw a barrel of wine, stored safe against its brethren which already blown away to smithereens.

That's it! Reita thought. She can summon some attacks using that wine... but probably not much. Wine contains alcohol, which is flammable enough under small fire-- let alone in hell's blaze like this. Reita understood, her only chance of attacking won't do any damage to the brutes sneering across her.

 

"Wait... That's?!"

 

Reita turned around to see mass of people starts running towards the West Gate as soon as they saw the brutes' incoming from the opposite path. Their call to each other connotes that West Gate is safer because there are less brutes sighted! Such miracle happen in dire situation, indeed.

 

"Alright. I have a plan." Reita whispered to Chadna.

"But this will be the last time we'll talk... Here."

"W- What do you mean?" Chadna whispered back.

"Do you see the wine barrel there? I'm gonna use it as my attack to corrode some

of the gate's chain."

"Y- You're going to hack  the gate’s chain with it?!" Chadna's eyes bulges in

worrisome ounce.

"Worry not. The mass will do the rest." Reita points at the man-swarm across.

"With the gate open, they are free to go. So do you."

 

"But, what about you?"

"Don't mind, don't mind." Reita chuckled, ensanguined smile imbued her lips.

"I'm not gonna go down that easily. Ready, Chadna? This will be your only chance.

Make sure you don't jinx it!" she readied Varunastra and her stance.

"What are you trying to pull, woman?" the brute looks alarmed as Reita bent her

body.

"Nothing much. Just a bit of show!"

 

Reita unsheathed Varunastra, quickly evoking the spell of reshaping her weapon. The barrel's content swell then bursts out leaving its carriage. Wasting no time to mingle, Reita released Chadna's hand and shouted to her one last time.

 

"Go!! May you be safe out there."

Absquatulated from her doubt, Chadna nodded with tears streaming from her

eyes.

"Reita...! Thank you... Thank you!"

"Go!!!" Reita incorporates her mind power to the blade, now bathed in wine,

before lashing it towards bundle chain restraining the gate.

"Reach it!!!" she bellows.

The brutes are lost in their shock, absent from knowing their prey have long left

her standing towards the commotion.

 

"Reita...! Reita!" Chadna called to her back.

"Keep running! I'll make sure you get out from here safely!" she replied, catching

up from behind.

"Reita...! Tell... Please tell...!" Chadna's voice drowned as she enter the mass

hoarding for the broken gate. With the chains gone, nothing left to hold the gate

close. It slid open, with huge creaking sound which feels delish in everybody’s

ear. Soon enough, the gate fell, latching wide sturdy plane over the tunnel gap.

The citizen broke in cheerful shouting, they began to spread out into the new

horizon.

 

"Reita...! Please...!" Chadna's voice could be heard again.

"Chadna! Go! Don't be... afraid! Go out into the world!" Reita starts to slow

down, surely she still remember her inability to sprint still persists even when

she's in Gaia.

"Tell... Hameda!" Chadna's voice stopped Reita's dash, mused in struck of

confusion.

"Hameda?! You know Hameda? Chadna!" she shouted back.

"Tell Hameda! I'll be sure to survive... and meet him one day! For sure!!"

 

Slowly, the mass recedes one by one. They have been absolved from this accursed land of brokenness, leaving their past behind. Towards the breakthrough they have gone, heart filled with gallant hope and boisterous courage of new chances, new possibilities. Reita stood still, staring into the bleak night sky decorated in lustful constellation, like a midnight carousel. The land have been emptied in front of her-- the man-swarm have all descended into the new land, including Chadna. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. People said it is the darkest before dawn; and it is. Smell of burned ground, fleshed men sprawled everywhere, cries of haunting war. They have been halted to pause by one petty revolution led by collective unconsciousness, all's screaming: I want to be free!


--------------------------------------------------

End of Chapter 45!



© 2016 Latifa Rahim


Author's Note

Latifa Rahim
"Freedom isn't given; it's earned."

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on July 20, 2016
Last Updated on July 20, 2016
Tags: adventure, book, five, adv, chapter, 45


Author

Latifa Rahim
Latifa Rahim

Bogor, Bogor, Indonesia



About
Newcomer in writing world! Loves sci-fi and adventure as genre. Does drawing, too. more..

Writing