Chapter 55: Oorlog

Chapter 55: Oorlog

A Chapter by Latifa Rahim
"

Gallant shout of battle has been commended, Myriad and its entirety plunges into more troublesome situation...

"

--------------------------------------------------------


"This one is also a warrior."

Meyer, who stood behind Blythe, doesn't seem surprised. The spectacled man nodded

calmly. "It seems she is."

"Meyer." Blythe grunts.

"You know something about this, don't you?" his breath is on hold by boiling rage.

"Chancellor. I think it is wise to explain this matter to them also. Why, we've gone a

bit selfish by detaining their friend, who's also a potential warrior!"

Blythe lets out his angered breath, hissing. "We've got no time for that! There's more

urgent matter to attend!" then he turns into the Seer,

"You. Make sure to detain the sacrifice at all cost. Stabilize the island, at all cost."

 

"What the heck you're making Jadel to do?!" Reita grunts heavily while trying to

stabilize herself after the fall. Behind her, Hameda waits for the slit opening he would

use to open the chamber door.

"I said, this is nothing you peasants should be worrying about!" Blythe lashes back.

"Now, be quiet and go back to Isfel, or..."

"Or what?" Reita steps forward, practically shoving her face to the white-garbed

chancellor. Her fuming breath, flares off from enraged nostril only fuels her redness

against the scheming man.

"You dare to oppose me, the direct right-hand of His Holiness?"

"Because apparently you've done something bad to our friend! So we're here to take

him back!"

 

As the argument heated, suddenly there's another roar heard from within the barred room. Jadel's voice. He's sounds pained beyond belief, crying out his soul for mercy. The team gasps as they turned around.

 

"Jadel...!" By reflex, Alma took hold of his pendant and began chanting holy rites.

"Please... Be safe!"

"There's no time." Hameda finally spoke. "I'll bust this door open."

"No, wait!" The Seer is about to stop him, but Thomas quickly take her back.

"Hameda!" he shouts while detaining both her arms. "Quick! Take him out of there!"

The tall man with silvery locks nodded, eyes firm in determination. Fingers circling his

magic gauntlet, Dahana, affixing both to his wrists. "Huh!!" he took one breath out,

shoving a right-hand jab to the door.

 

"NO!!!" the Seer shrieks, so does Blythe. "Stop this at once, you moron!"

But Alma now stood before him, refraining Blythe from taking further steps.

"Cestria! Move!!" Blythe grit his teeth in frustration.

"I won't. We are taking back our friend from your mad experiment!"

"Mad?! You're the one who's mad!! If he’s not kept there, this island will collapse!"

"Blythe, please don't take any more step." Alma cautioned him with a defensive pose

with his spear-wand. "I mean it."

 

"You don't understand!" Blythe shouts.

"Are you trying to kill us all, along with every citizen in lower city?!"

Just as he spoken the last word of sentence, Hameda lands his surging attack.

"Heat Blow!!" he grunts, unleashing fiery flames omitted from Dahana.

The sturdy door has cracks now, which keeps getting bigger and spread everywhere.

Before long, it crumbles down, leaving the room open.

"Jadel!" Hameda wasted no time to go inside.

Reita followed suit; she charge straight inside, but hurried to stop as she saw the

bizarre scene before her vision. "What-- what is this?!"

 

Right before the pedestal, Jadel was tied by a cross-shaped plank, effectively separating each of his limb. Tied skintight with rusty chains around his veins, he shouldn't be able to struggle erratically like this... IF this man flashed before her is really Jadel, that is. Though visibly the man looks like Jadel, the fact he's now attained a peculiar mark on his upper abdomen and those foreign eyes; even Hameda was loss at words.

 

"Jadel, what happened?" he tried to make converse with the erratic man.

"Unngrrhh...! Hrrrgghhh...!” the reply is only grunts of pain.

"What is that on his chest...?" Reita shifts behind Hameda, whispering.

"I don't know." he replied. "I'll just take off this chains..." he begun rattling the lock

padded on sturdy nails on the plank, but then the figure roared

alarmingly.

“HNGUUUOOAAARRGHHHH!!!" he blasts at Hameda's face.

The tall man was taken aback he had to step down few inches.

"Ja, Jadel!" Reita gasps. "What's gotten into you? It's Hameda! We're going to get you

outta here, okay?" she tried to calm him.

 

Perhaps, she thought, Blythe and the Seer gave him strange medication which got his inner system revolting.

 

"Gaaarrghhh! Hgaaarghh! Aaaaarrkkk!!" Jadel lets out some more excruciated growl.

"Hameda, let's just take him away!"

"I'm on it." Hameda nods, his hand managed to uncuff one of Jadel's limb.

 

Suddenly, his free hand-- now able to act independently-- curls up a fist and blasts Hameda away. The power he exerted was ginormous it sent Hameda looping backwards until he collided with the wall, a loud crash follows after. Everyone outside shrieks, seeing the event unfolds not as planned.

 

"Cestria, move!" Blythe grunts, again. "The sacrifice is not in a state to hear logics!"

"Please don't take any more step!!" Alma warns sternly. "I'm serious, Blythe..."

"Please!" the Seer spoke. "I need to calm him down... Your friends are in danger!"

"No! You're the one who will make him more dangerous!" Thomas shook his head.

"Can't you see that Jadel is just pained?!"

"Pained? Ha! Are yours need visceral implant, boy?!" Blythe's teeth rattles, cricketing

against each clank. "That man... No, that thing... It has taken your friend's

consciousness! Now he's just a monster who needs chain, not logic!"

"Jadel is not a monster!!!" Thomas denies vehemently.

 

"Calm down, son." Meyer, at first being so quiet, finally spoke a sentence.

"...What Blythe said is true." he responds calmly. "Take a look."

Crumpled parchment is given to Thomas. "Can you make out the drawing? It is the

Seal of Vayu, the ancient God of Wind who resides inside the orb."

"What's a great spirit doing inside a mere orb?" Thomas asks, which in turn lit

something in Alma's mind.

"Sir Virdigjanti! Surely you don't mean...?" a pair of sweat came down from his

forehead.

"...I shouldn't have keep it quiet from you people." Meyer smiles apologetically.

"That orb... is the Green Sphaera."

With one saying, the team's expression drop to lower jaw. "T- The Green Sphaera..."

Alma palms his sweaty forehead. "To think... such artifact is kept here..."

 

Inside, Reita is frantic seeing Hameda got thrown out by single punch. She is frozen in her place, eyes staring blank at the man before her. Jadel. He kept murmuring the word 'pain', and constantly spoke an oppressed grunt.

 

"Jadel... I, It's you, right?" she felt a knot corrodes her throat.

"We're going to save you from here, so..." as she leans closer, Jadel who practically

hangs himself one hand tied, whispered.

“Va... ru... na..." his closed lid slowly flips open.

The usual cerulean eyes are nowhere to seen; they are hued lantern green, lustrous

like street lights.

"Jadel?" Reita flinches, involuntarily taking few steps back.

His free hand lazily leans to her side, approaching her face in placid stroke. "Varuna..."

he whispers again.

 

Upon closer hearing, his words sounds a bit acrid of common liveliness he had

normally. The voice sores, "...Varuna... It is you..."

Oddly enough, Reita felt something emerges from her body, all against her consent.

Rush of ethereal energy took her consciousness over-- now her eyes gleams like him,

But hers are of cyan shade: verdigris azure.

"...Vayu." Reita spoke in a deep, embalming voice of brine waves. “…We meet again.

It seems that you have chosen your warrior."

Everybody outside the room instantly forgot their standings, they are witnessing

something of utmost rarity. "The-- The Sea God... Varuna..." the Seer slouched to her

knees, hands folded together in a praying stance.

She was caught by Meyer, who’s also gone woozy too from seeing the scene.

"Varuna... The one who gave Reita her weapon, right?" Thomas said.

"Indeed." Alma nods. "I still remember how His blessings got us through the deadly

battle at the sea..."

 

Jadel and Reita stood to each other, with another entities inside, conversing.

"A great change is near." Vayu said, borrowing Jadel's vessel.

"Varuna, how did your warrior fare? Worth to be entrusted with your power?"

Varuna, inside Reita's body, nods firmly. "This human child is the fittest one I have

found. She is no doubt, a worthy Wielder. Your warrior seems to be that way, also."

"Then it's decided." Vayu nods.

"I shall bestow this man my power... The rest will be up to him..."

With that, the eerie glow dissipates and the mark in Jadel's chest disappeared.

The man came back, limping on one hand on the erected plank.

 

Varuna, still inhabiting Reita's vessel, turned to everybody outside the room.

"Humans." he spoke in commandeering tone.

"It is your race who eradicates us from your belief; it is also your race who bestow this

danger upon your kinds."

"What... What is that thing saying?" Blythe seem to lose it, denying he is spoken by a

God itself. "Cease this charade at once!!!"

"Milord, please calm down..." the Seer stood up, approaching Reita's figure.

“We offer you our praise, O, ancient God who governs the sea..." she bowed deeply.

"Lord Varuna... Please, enlighten us with your guidance... A prominent danger is

nearby... Please give us guidance."

 

A sly, yet refined smile curls at Reita's lips. "Human child... You have long abandoned

us for your man-made Gods. Now that the hour of end starts to pulse. Gaia shall, like

it has many times before, complete its cycle of doom and rebirth…”

The Seer’s body twisted in daunting realization that Doomsday might be near.

Varuna continued, “Unfortunately, we cannot intervene directly; being a mere vessel

of Pyx, guarding each funicular elemental which creates Gaia. Human child… If you

desire against Gaia’s destruction... Don’t lose hope, and fight to the very end."

With that, he too, left Reita's body. The red-haired girl fumbles and dropped to her

knee, not knowing what she might have been rambling about.

 

"What... I'm... Where? Just now..." she shook her head, then remembers.

"Oh! Hameda, Jadel!" she went back to where Jadel is held, beside him Hameda is

already on guard. He seem to have been following the lengthy conversations earlier.

"I'm alright." the tall man assures her.

"Great, now let's go out from here and just--"

"...We're staying." Hameda's words spook Reita's eyes, her pupil dilates.

"What are you saying?!" Hameda feigns ignorance, idly walking towards Meyer and

Blythe. "...I trust him to you. Make sure he's safe here…"

Blythe swallowed; never in his life had he seen someone so intimidating, yet naught

of evil intention.

"Meyer." he turns to the scholar. "...We'll participate in the war."

 

-----------------------------------------------------


Past midnight, inside the Palace's meeting room. Hameda's questionable decision of participating on the war casts shadow in everyone's mind. None managed to get any explanation out of the tall man while they proceed into the chamber. Their best guess was because Hameda heard Varuna said the Gods won’t lend a direct help to end the conflict, he decided to settle this with his own mettle.

Everyone sat, rounded along the extravagant table crafted from finest woods. Blythe and Meyer took their seats at the front's end. No one said a thing. The room is a complete dry of ad lib, as if they were audiences waiting patiently for orchestral prelude. For a while, that is, until the door opened with a lazy 'click'. One Seraphim soldier enters, giving his salute. Behind him there is another one alike, tugging a sturdy rope seemed to be tied to something.

 

"Get in!" the harsh voice of his jots everyone's nerves.

"Hey, be gentle! Is this how you treat elders?"

Alma quickly stand up from his seat, hearing a familiar voice behind the door.

"Mr. Banri?!" he gasped.

"Banri?! Hey..." Hameda quickly shifted out, rushing to see his missing friend.

 

It is unlikely for Hameda to be agitated and brash at deciding things, Thomas thought to himself while looking at the tall man speeding out. He won't point it out though, he knew there is more pressing matter to be solved. Banri entered the room, his grin is infesting cheery aura broad ahead.

 

"Hey, guys! Missed me?" he joked.

"We are relieved to see you back here, Mr. Banri." Alma gave the older man a rub to

his shoulder.

"Sorry to make you worry! Little Miss, you don't miss me?"

"Save that for later, Mr. Banri." Reita replied with a sour face. "We're in a pinch here."

"Yes, yes. I've grasped the overall situation at hand." he took the seat beside Hameda,

"Can't believe your Lord has the Green Sphaera with him." Banri's sly snickers shatter

both Meyer and Blythe's facade instantly.

"My bad. I knew straight away when meeting Thomas, my fate is sealed to tell the

truth about this orb anyway." Meyer wipes his foreboding sweat. "The Green Sphaera

must be kept as ultimate secret; it is the body of Divum Stratum itself, after all."

 

"Who was the infiltrator?" Banri asks sharply.

"Wait, what infiltrator?" Thomas looks around, then Hameda replied.

"I think it is better if you start telling us what happened, Meyer. From ground one."

Suddenly, Blythe slammed his palm to the desk. "How many times I've said it? This is

not a concern to you outsiders!"

"Sir Chancellor…" Meyer tries to intervenes, but Blythe's rage overpass it.

"Silence! You, scholar!" his face is boiling red now, "Though technically you’re in a

higher caste than me, you’ve made a terrible mistake of letting these people

know our utmost secret! I'll make sure the committee know!"

 

"This is no time to be arguing, really..." Banri shrugs.

"SHUT UP!!" Blythe took his notebook out and ram it into Banri, thankfully it missed.

"Hey!" the archer yelps shocked.

"Sir Neredzīe..." Meyer backs off, knowing his words won't anymore reach his ears.

Just when the situation gets worse, the door slammed open.

"Chancellor Neredzīe!!" a voice echoed. "Chancellor! Are you here?!"

Heard his name called, Blythe thwarted his seat. "M- Milord!" he hurried into the

figure. It was none other than Ölver Cahali-Zemin, the acting Holiness of Myriad City.

Still in his white cloak, the great man trembled while assisting his stance with his lion

cane. "C, Chancellor... W, what are we going to do? Dawn is near..."

 

"Please, Milord. You have to rest, it is already late at night--" Blythe tries to yank him.

"How can I rest when the whole city is in danger?!!" he yelled.

"Everything will crumble if we don't do something! I won't ever give the orb to them!

No!!" he rattles. "Do something, Blythe! Do something! You've sworn allegiance over

my father and me, right?!"

At his seat, Banri smirks. "He’s trembling like a stale clown." he whispered to Alma,

who turned a death glare. "Urk, sorry... I was just trying to lighten the situation!"

"Please don't make a jest at time like this, Mr. Banri. This is serious."

"Blythe, I don't want to die!" Ölver whines. "That Skydas man... He's threatening me!

Like this!" he act suffocated as if someone grabbed his neck.

 

"Wait just a moment!" Reita suddenly flares. "Your Highness. Did you just say--"

"Yes! Skydas!" Ölver nods proactively. "He's the one who... Oh! How terrifying, those

eyes! I'll get killed if I just..."

"First thing we'll have to do is to secure him to the safest chamber." Meyer tilts his

head to the guards. "Escort the Holiness to his room."

"Wait, Blythe! Please, anything but the orb!" Ölver still whines as the guard takes him

away. "It is my only pride! The thing that will proof I have succeeded Father! Please!"

Blythe grunts, he felt another migraine struck his spinal edge.

"If it's a war they want, then so it be!" Ölver's voice echoed from outside. "Kill them

all, Blythe! Eradicate the HOUNDS! That's what our Seraphim army it is, right?!!"

Blythe close the door, sighing heavily. "My head..." he mutters, going back to his seat.

 

“Skydas..." Reita veers over to Hameda and Alma. Both men nods, stern.

"Don't tell me, this was your reason saying you'll participate in the war?!" Thomas said.

"I have a feeling this matter leads to our... old enemy." Hameda pressed his lips.

"We’ll make sure he pays for everything he have done."

"Yes." Suddenly, Alma's expression turns concede to his idea. "We shall defeat him.

Sir Virdigjanti, please count me in."

"Hey, hey! Wait! Why are we agreeing on this?!" Thomas lands a protest. "It is not like

we have to! This is not our land, not our problem!"

"He's got a point." Banri agrees. "Why don't we just get out of here? We can take Jadel

away easily, that room isn't really guarded!"

 

"Get out?" Blythe ticks a tongue. "And where, pray tell?"

"What do you mean? Of course to another city! Or we can go back to Southport."

"And get killed as soon as you stepped out from our walls?" Blythe's voice reeks of

cynics.

"...You don't mean?!" Banri grit his teeth. "We're surrounded?!"

"Their army have circled every inch of our corner, waiting patiently as the clock sped

to sunrise." Meyer replied.

"This is just crazy..." Reita’s head pressing the opulent wood polish. "We're as good as

dead, then!"

 

"I'd appreciate if you don't kill me that easily!" Banri gave some encouraging taps to

her back. "Come now, we haven't started anything, the outcome is not yet settled!"

"Then, we'll...?" Reita's acid stomach rose to a new level. "No... I don't... want to..."

she murmured.

"What say you, Blythe?" Meyer asks. "Won't you think having them as ally is

reassuring? One proficient with a Signifer, someone with good stature, our long-lost

priest, Southport's guild master and the one who inherited Reuna's swordsmanship..."

Blythe grunts, not answering the question. "Ask them, not me!" he said. "I saw one or

two of you are soaking wet in the pants!"

 

"Hey, we're not wetting our pants!" Thomas protested.

"I'm in." Hameda nods firmly. "I have a score to settle with Skydas..."

"Me, too." Alma joined. "What he has done to my homeland is unforgivable. He

deserves justice."

"I'm not thrilled with the idea of war," Thomas said, "But my brother probably will be

deployed, so I will lend him my strength!"

Banri leans idly on one elbow, breathing lazily. "It's not like we can get outta here,

right? Little Miss, what do you think?"

The one he's spoken to only frowns, her face slathered in fear and anxiety. "I..." she

opens her mouth. “I’m sorry..." she stood up, then ran outside the room.

"H- Hey, Little Miss! Where are you going?!" Banri called out.

 

"See? I've told you so!" Blythe cackles ironically.

"This is a problem..." Meyer thought to himself. "She's the one holding a Signifer, and

Tremendous power of Kronos I haven't disclose to anyone. If she refuse our cause,

then we won't gain the upper hand for this battle." the scholar then glances to Alma.

"Can you go and talk to her, son?"

"M- Me? Oh..." Alma stood up. “Yes, sure…”

"Do your best to bring her back." Meyer slips a rather squinting smile which forces his

words more so.

"I'll be going, then. Excuse me." Alma closed the door.

"…Let her go." Banri comments just before Alma left the room. "Little Miss has never

been in this situation. Bringing her into the battle will weaken our morale." he spoke

cold, but there's a truth in it.

"Agree." Hameda nods. "Is it possible to put her inside the shelter, along with other

citizens?"

"...Yes, of course." Meyer replies, there's a slight disappointment splayed on his face.

“Though the fact of she owns Varunastra won’t help if her spirit is damp even before

the fight. Good grief… Son, take her to the guards and send her to the shelter.”

 

Outside, on the veranda. Reita is gazing upon the quiet night sky, which in few hours will turn glowering red. Her hair, sparkled by moonlight night looks like a bold march of vigilant army. Her face, though, doesn't look the same. It's clear as day she's scared to bone, afraid of what might be robbed from her if she participate in the war. Her absent mind makes her ignoring some calls to her name since minutes ago. She finally heard it, then turned around.

 

"Huh? Eh... Alma." Reita smiled sheepishly.

"It seems you have unspoken things on your mind." the man steps closer.

"Soon, dawn comes.” His words breathe a hidden fret. “Things will be different if all

these mess didn’t happen in the first place.”

She nods. Simply a movement from her head, not any word.

"Miss Reita.” Before she could react, Alma raised his spear. “Actually, we have agreed

to a conclusion that you should be staying inside the underground shelter."

"Huh? Wait, Alma?!" she was about to jump away, but Alma has casted a sleep spell

to doze her off. Reita is downed within minutes, off to her dreamland. Alma stood

before her, agonizing his hasty decision.

 

"Alma...!" a voice rang from behind.

"Thomas." Alma turned to see the young man came sprinting. "What happened to

Reita?"

"…Only a sleep spell." Alma smiles apologetically. "I shall take her to the guardsmen."

"I hope she will be okay inside the shelter." Thomas replied.

“She will. That’s why we’re agreeing." he gently picked up Reita's body to his arms.

Despite seemingly frail and naught of muscles, he's strong enough to laid her up on

his back. "Please tell everyone I shall come back in a moment."

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

That night, Myriad Capital city turns dead silent. Not even a speck of sound is heard; only howl of wind flares upon the gloomy sky. Ölver Cahali-Zemin has given his authorities acceptance to deploy the whole Seraphim army against Skydas and his troops who threaten to take the Green Sphaera by force.

Ölver’s commemorative speech includes reasons why this battle is inevitable; why a war is needed. He spoke openly of the orb which maintain Myriad's Divum Stratum as it is today. He rambles why on earth a barbaric clan should be given privilege to keep it. Some coaxing talks were also added onto; saying this fight will be the divine retribution for those who oppose Gilthar and Zarmesiton's teaching-- such doctrine a fellow devotee won't possibly rebuke.

He declared war. His people returned with extreme enthusiasm. Their clap and yells have broken the moon's landing on its bedsheet, completely reawaken it from beneath the clouds: glowing meanly, blurred around its side like a waning circles. This will be the biggest war in Myriad's history, one that will leave indelible marks in everyone's mind.

Upon the strategical meeting, the team as a whole agreed to participate in the war. Hameda and Alma have scores to settle with Skydas, Thomas has reason to help his long-lost brother and Banri wants revenge for the HOUNDS who destroyed his city, eighteen years ago. Reita and Jadel were the only ones getting involved in this beleaguering matter. After sending off Reita to the shelter, Alma came back, joining his team. With Meyer as his adjutant, Blythe led the discussion, planning how they should deploy their troops.

It is agreed then; Hameda, Alma and Banri would assist the Divum soldiers to fight HOUNDS' air squadron which could be deployed as surprise assault. Thomas should go with Blautiel and Iegor's group, assisting Isfel soldiers which includes Ariad. Right off the bat, everyone is dismissed from the meeting. Hameda spoke once more to Meyer, regarding his 'condition' cooperating with Myriad's Seraphim: Jadel's safety. The scholar shook his hands as a form of respect.

 

"Don't worry, son. You have my words." he assures Hameda.

"Please do." the tall man bowed once before leaving the room along with others.

 

Outside, four men of the team stood idly to each one. Never once in their dreams have imagined the day where swords and soul will worth nothing on a barren ground will come. Banri clasped his palms together, stiff expression deprive his usually morose face.

 

"Everyone." Three sets of eyes are unto him, waiting pertinently for his next words.

"Never thought we'd be this kind of situation."

"At last." Hameda said, eyes glowering in fiery spirit. "...We'll have our revenge."

"We cannot possibly let a dangerous man like Skydas roam free. I had enough seeing

his obscure morale when he decimate Vanadeus."

"Alma." Thomas steps up, face uncrippled. "...Are we really going to do this?"

Hearing his doubt, Banri propose whether Thomas would be better excluded from the

troops. "No!! That's not what I meant." legs trembling, Thomas replied.

"I'm just worried... we won't make it through."

 

"Certainly, this war will be more perilous than any fight we have been so far." Alma

bent his body towards, "Let's hope for the best, okay?"

"...Let’s go." Hameda sweep off with one last nod.

"Then, we'll be off. Thomas..." Alma spoke something only both himself and the one

he's spoken to could hear. "Please live, whatever might happen out there."

"See ya, kid! Trust me, we'll get through it!" the older man sifted his collar, showing

some of his war wounds fleshed unto years ago.

 

Flash of cold wind crawls skin deep. Intermission of sounds have been completely blocked by whines of war mustang, grinding steel chain and clattering of swords. Outside of Myriad's walls, estimated 2, 84 miles away, stood the legion of HOUNDS. All sorts of squadron have taken their standby pose, regularly appraised by their commanders. Front most row, there's Skydas Lustro. The man ride a jet black mustang whose hair gleams under pre-dawn sky.

Fully armed in fulsome equipment, adorned on top is a helmet ruffed with Glauca Bird's feather. Pigmented in degree of difference colors, the feather decoration made contrast to downcast of hue of the helm. Skydas has his prized dual curved swords, rigged of victorious marks, both sheathed on his waist. Right beside, another man sat atop his saddle of grey. This one doesn't wear any head protective-- instead, he ardently wipes out his fringe, showing a gruesome flesh wound. The man chuckled quietly, smearing his imagination of felling thousand enemies. Between his thoughts, then, Skydas scatters a creaky voice of his.

 

"It is time. They want war, then." tightening his blade's belt, "Commander Damhorn."

"Milord." the chuckling man cease his fondling dreams so, to answer his authority.

"Don't be a hindrance."

Chagrined, Damhorn's earlier praise of himself came to halt. "Surely, Sir..." he gave a

slight bow. Inside, his mind turned around into another dreary imagination, sweeping

heads off of his enemies' neck with blood spraying like leaked pump.

 

Back inside, at Isfel Stratum. Thomas has made his way to where the Eighth Sect stood by. He saw the acting commander, Blautiel, has his hand full ensuing order to his subordinates. Thomas jogged, hoping to not disturb the man.

 

"You!" a voice calls forth from beyond. With reflex, Thomas pulled his salute.

"H- Huh?! Y- Yes sir!!" A Seraphim soldier stands in the way.

"You were with the one who assaulted Captain Munar!"

"Huh?" Thomas doesn't recall the name spoken. "I think you got the wrong person."

"How could I? Your friend rammed the Captain's forehead until he bleeds out!"

"Sorry, I don't even know who 'Captain Munar' is!"

Another voice glossed over the Seraphim's. "Wait." The soldier veered behind and

found Iegor walks forward. "C- Captain Munar! Sir! I've found the perpetrator who

was responsible for your injury!"

 

"Let him be." Iegor twiddled still with his fringe, curling it backwards.

"He'll be dead in no times, anyway."

"What?! No!!" Thomas denies with bilious looks.

"No? Then what are you doing here? A war soon sets this ground red. Here is not the

place for commoners, let alone a shabby kid like you!"

"I'm here to help!"

Appealed, Iegor jeer openly. "Ha! You? Help? Whatever can you do?"

"I'm confident in my skills." the young man nods, without any sign of following

baseless anger. "Sir Meyer and Chancellor Blythe have approved my team to do so."

Iegor is secretly irked; why would an elite team of his need assistance from some

peasants. He played it tough, answering. "Huh. Haven't heard."

 

"Nevertheless, I'm staying." Thomas insist, "I will help." The young man knew, he

needs more than few convincing words to make the bloke accept his proposal.

"What, then? Are you saying we're not strong enough...” Iegor's voice crackled,

"...that we have to get help from peasant like you?"

A pair of Brandeis blue orb twitched, derisive. Thomas gave his reply in mature tone.

"I shall act according to your guidance."

"Still insisting, huh? Fine." Iegor took stance, grasping what was hidden under his waist

cloak: a schiavona-type blade. "Come on!" he throw a sneer. "Prove me wrong, and

I'll let you in."

Thomas let out a disappointed sigh, wondering why it has to come to this.

"Do we have to?" his sardonic smile hovers.

 

"That sword, you're not carrying it for bluffing purpose, aren't you?" Surrendering to

the balderdash mockery, Thomas finally unsheathed his sword.

"Only recently," his juncture, "I found out this Zircon Edge was one of Sir Meyer's

greatest creation."

"Skills matter, boy." Iegor flips back his fringe. "Come, then!"

Both participant's breath rigged with excitement, heart beats faster due to adrenaline

rush. Iegor took the initiative, swishing his blade forward. "Hyah!"

 

Thomas jumps back, deciding it was too early to counter-attack. The young man evades Iegor's blade quite well, aptly using the shield to push back his opponent. Iegor also pulls back, refining his stance.

 

"You're good for a peasant." he mocks again.

"I don't have any intention to fight you."

"Then get outta here! You're an eyesore."

 

Such vicious words have made Thomas' temper slightly raise. He took a deep breath, then dashed. Without any war cry, the young man extract his sword, turning it into one rotating slash which he banters into Iegor continuously.

 

"Ha! Cheap trick." the Seraphim tries to level while in reality he's astounded

witnessing his opponent's witty tactic. He spun around, away from Thomas' sword

barrage. The comeback was quick; Iegor jumps high in the air and evoked a debuff

spell. "Bind!!" It worked, Thomas' body twitched in shock.

The young man seems to be unable to block the attack, a sweet opening that makes

Iegor's lips snicker. "You're finished...!"

 

But then, Thomas thought of something clever. Mustering his leftover strength, the young man managed to uplift his shield and throw it diagonally. Of course, due to elusive restraint within his tendons, Thomas wasn't able to aim right. His throw missed, but it successfully distracted Iegor's attack by hair's breadth.

 

Having his angle disrupted, Iegor had no choice but to cancel his attack and double-

jump back to his place. "You dirty rat!" he spat.

His eyes are near to pop out from too much stress of muscle.

 

Both took their steady stance once more. The binding spell slowly recedes, enabling Thomas to free himself from inscrutable limitation on his limbs. He took back his fallen shield, neatly decked on the ground. Across, Iegor seems peeved. His breath hastened, stance changed into an all-out-attack one. He was nanoseconds away from jotting forward, giving his all to dice Thomas for playing underhanded game on this duel.

 

"That's far enough!" a sudden clap pulled the two away. Iegor cursed under his breath

for anyone dared to prevent him from landing an opening attack. "Who is it?!"

The clap goes on, as the figure possessing it made his entrance. "Captain Munar."

"C, Commander!" Iegor hurried to sheath his blade out. "Forgive me! I was..."

"No need to apologize, Captain."

"Sir Blautiel..." Thomas' tense expression is washed out like farrago mixture.

"I have heard about your case, adventurer."

Did he forget my name already? The young man reintroduces himself. "It's Thomas.

Thomas Kalewill."

"I know that very well." Blautiel gave his remarkable coy smile. "Well then, Thomas,

you shall join our rank for this war."

 

Vehemently, Iegor rebuked. "What? But, Sir! We can’t just let someone from outsi--"

"Captain." Steady and firm, Blautiel replied. "The Chancellor himself went out his way

just to inform me this news. He shall be added to our team."

"But still, Sir!"

"Can't you take orders?"

For a while, Iegor is afflicted. Then he finally concedes. "...Very well."

"Good." Blautiel rejoices with his subordinate's obedience. "Thomas, now I will brief

you to our strategy. Come with me." he led Thomas into 8th Sect's preparation tent.

"You're coming too, Captain Munar."

"Yes, Sir."

 

Inside the tent, Blautiel laid a strategy map atop the table. "A quick glance from our

surveillance team turns out as a big help." he deploy a proud smile.

"The HOUNDS has summoners, rune knights and artillery squad equipped with stone-

lodging catapult." Thomas gave a small nod, acknowledging the danger as he heard

there were stone-lodgers jarred outside.

"Our main concern will not be the summoners and their beasts."

Iegor cringes, "Sir? I thought..."

 

Err, it seems the strategy has just changed suddenly-- so thought Thomas, on his mind. Judging from Iegor's reaction, it is clear this briefing needs to be relayed once more to the whole army.

 

"Change of plan, Captain. We have yet to include the possibility of aerial assault."

"Aerial assault? They plan to use it against our Divum?!" Iegor gasped.

"Possibly, they will call forth the dragons."

Urge to be shocked bemock Thomas' composed expression. "D- Dragons?!"

"It's a possibility. We won't know, that is exactly why high priest Ebraldi and the archer

will be the main players."

Blautiel goes on, "...We'll intercept their artillery first by magic. Our casters have been

trained to deploy durable barrier which can withstand even the most formidable

attacks... Are you with us so far?"

Thomas feigns pause for a bit, then nodded. "...I understand. What about your squad,

then?"

 

"Our groundwork is to deplete their foot soldiers and riders. There's a high chance

they would put the rune knights beyond barrage of common soldiers, so we have to

take precautions of it."

"I shall deploy my best men for it." Iegor said, waiting for approval.

"...I'll leave it to you, then, Captain Munar." Blautiel nods.

"Continuing... We'll work together to prevent their rune knights from advancing into

the inner wall."

"The summoners, then..." Thomas looks worried.

"Yes, the summoner. We have to take care of them quickly before they summon some

beasts. It will be a disaster if our formation is wrecked."

"...If it comes to it, I shall be responsible of slaying the beast." Iegor proposed.

 

"...Can you do that?" Seeing how doubtful Blautiel's reaction is, Thomas stepped up.

"I'll go with him!"

"You?!" Iegor let out a bewildered yell. "Not in a chance! You'll just hinder my--"

"Captain Munar." A calm words, straight from his authority, brought Iegor back to his

sense.

"M- My apologies, Commander! But I can't trust him to work together as a team!"

"Captain Munar, this child is Reuna Hábil's only son."

"Reuna... Hábil? Commander, by that, you mean..."

"Yes, that Reuna Hábil who died in a vicious storm, forever listed as 'MIA' in our

registry." The conversation became insoluble to Thomas; it only adds confusion.

"You know my father?"

Blautiel smiled apologetically. "Pardon me, I didn't mean to pry."

 

"Reuna Hábil... He's our celebrated scholar, aside from Sir Virdigjanti himself. He was

both skilled in swords and making it."

"Thanks." Thomas couldn't help but to smile widely from the emblazons.

"...Very well." the prudent scoff on Iegor's face turns languid.

"Thomas, was it? ...Looking forward to work with you."

"Now that we have established a newfound trust," Blautiel interjected, "I shall leave

the rune knight and surviving summoners to both of you. Make sure our formation

intact."

"Will do." Both replied in unison.

"Leave the big fish to me." everyone in the room knew he meant it, seeing the

glower in Blautiel's eyes.

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

Cold and bold, the sun peeks from its bedlam. Sound of war horn seared the calmness of dry mist teetering around. From afar, loud thumps of heavy boots smearing ground solid led chorus of vigilant cries, bellowing upon rattling jaws and bleary eyes. Attack! Skydas, commander of HOUNDS army shouted. His legion sprinted towards Myriad's wall, its pearl magnificent still intact. Damhorn followed after a group of rune knight, holding up his Bolt Trident as his wrath. Incurred in his mind are none but victory; triumph. Amongst all, he wanted to take revenge to a specific opponent who dared to best him with sheer luck. This fight, he oathed himself shall win.

 

"Load them!" Damhorn screeches, commanding the artillery squad.

 

Armored soldiers began fetching large boulders to be built inside the catapult. Within minutes, ten catapults have been loaded, ready to be launched. The soldiers went back to Damhorn, reporting.

 

"It's all set, Sir!"

"Heh. Took you long enough!" Damhorn sneers, tugging his horse's reins impatiently.

"Fire!!" he authorized the shooters.

 

As the catapult fling backwards, stones lodged inside vivaciously bend forward. The arch made from it was so painful to see, especially under the shades of wall archers stationed just below where it will soon land. Panic screeches began to bellow among Myriad's wall archer, who never thought the starting attack could give apprehensive knot in their gut. But then, fizzing array of vocal effects have made their wreck equivalent to none.

 

Behind, Iegor Munar himself jaunts chivalrous tone. "Caster! Ready the barrier!

We mustn't let the stones break the wall!"

 

With his words made, a group of warrior of long robe, shaded face evoke thousands of rites, resulting in ginormous barrier casted over the whole town. Slight protrusion of gravity happened when the gold circles were erected, erring the artillery's vector. Seconds later, impacts were made. Some stones managed to con the barrier, hitting the city's wall. Bricks and stones crumbled, white ash and sand fumes fill the air.

 

"Don't panic! Stay in your position!" Iegor beseech.

Beside him, Thomas. The young man is holding his blade's sheath anxiously, sweats

started to hover around his thick brow.

"Scared?" Iegor smirks. Thomas frowns, but the Seraphim shook his head.

"That's perfectly normal. We're about to meet Death after this. Let's just hope for the

best." he exhaled, trying to release stiffness.

"I'm scared as well." he admits, "You know that even Holiner descendants can die from

fatal wound, right?"

 

His effort to joke seems to bring reverse effect to his audience who has just gone

tighter. "Captain!!" a soldier calls. "The gate is breached!" His messenger's words

echoed bitterly in Iegor's ear canal. "What on earth happened?! It's not even an hour!"

he vexed. “We even got the barrier still fresh, here!!”

"No... Captain, please listen." the soldier turns out have been trying hard to hold

himself together. "They have a Horned Cyclops with them..."

"…So it’s started. They’re not fools, I see." Iegor's face fell sour.

 

He took a moment of silence... Emptying his mind while roar of bloodlust, shriek of terror and pained cry jumbled together in this awry morning. Daybreak gusts never felt so foreign to his bare cheek. Iegor let the wind caress his stranded fringe while his eyes creaks in absence of fathom.

 

"Call back your squad." he issued.

"Sir?! But, Sir! If we do that, our defense will...!" Iegor shook his head slowly.

"Horned Cyclops are immune to magic. No matter what you throw, you can't defeat

it. Thomas." he said to the boy beside him. "Reuna Hábil was celebrated for being an

adept in swordsmanship." he said. "If you truly share his blood, then prove it...

We'll defeat the Cyclops together."

"Alright." Thomas answered, having his doubt cleared at last.

"Don't do reckless movement until we dissipate it. Meanwhile, take caution of further

stone catapult or possible stealth soldiers."

"R- Right, Sir!"

"I'm counting on you." By light tap to the soldier's back, Iegor set off with Thomas.

 

"So, this Horned Cyclops." Thomas asked on the way. "Is it really immune to magic?

All kind of magic?"

"There's a good reason why it's called Horned Cyclops." Iegor answered, but not

turning his head around. The two exited a narrow path, into the gate area.

 

Thomas witnessed dozens of Seraphim have been flattened to ground level, freshly juiced blood did a splatter taint to their broken bits. In front of the destroyed thick wooden paling, one monstrous creature stand bewildered. It has horns crafted on the forehead, bent to a curve like ibex's. The creature let out a cachinnating roar, almost as if he's taunting for stronger opponent.

 

"Those horns." Iegor said, unsheathing his airy blade. "They render all magic useless.

Are you ready?" Thomas gave back a small nod.

"We're going to defeat it solely with swordsmanship! Let's go!" he jumps out, facing

the beast six times taller. "Ha!" Iegor made an opening attack.

 

His light, curved sword shreds a lump of meat of the beast's leg. It doesn't seem to recognize Iegor, let alone feeling his attack. Thomas follow suit, he charges from the back using a spin attack. Thought as bewitching as it looks; alas, his attack also doesn't seem to scar the beast.

 

"Tch!" Iegor spat. "What a thick skin! Bet it's the same as its skull, huh?" he smirks,

beads of sweat fell upon his clamming jaw.

"Got a plan?" Thomas asked, he seems unsure too.

"Not really! But we have to defeat it before more ragtag follows!" As he spoke,

Iegor noticed some rubbles from the gate's remnant. The wooden paling fell atop of

wall's rubbles, clasping each other in manic angle. This might work! His mind lit.

"Hey, think you can tackle one of his horn?" Iegor asked Thomas.

"Dunno! But I trust Sir Meyer's-- my sword."

"Try it. I'll distract him." With the plan stabilized, Iegor changed his stance and began

casting a fortification spell for his weapon. "Come on!" he taunts.

Iegor charged. He lunge forward, throwing a straight slash to the beast.

"Hah!!" he shouts.

 

The beast didn't even make an effort to evade, he receive the strike willingly. The beast thought another puny man has come prepared for his own grave, desperately attack in blind motion. What the beast didn't see was Thomas sneaking behind his back, running towards the rubble and onto it. He climbed fast, then jumps to its head.

 

With one powerful swing, Thomas shouts.

"Heeeyaaah!!" his Zircon Edge collides with the beast's horn.

It came to realize something has bugged its head. The beast began shaking his head,

throwing Thomas off balance.

"Whoaaa!" Thomas quickly took a grip to the horn. Iegor continued his attack, averting

the beast's attention from hurting Thomas. "Don't mind me! Focus on the horn!"

Thomas tried once more. "Huh!" he made a straight cut to the horn's bottom.

It's still intact. "Tch! It's not working!" Iegor heard, with no objection said.

 

"Iegor! We'll have to think another strategy... Whoaaa!"

Just few meters above his head, Thomas saw another large boulder dispatched from

the catapult. It soon hit a roof of settlement, completely destroying it down to the first

floor.

"You okay?!" Iegor asks.

"I'm fine!" Thomas gave an affirming grin.

"Hey... Wait, do you think...?" he looks to Iegor, who in turn seems to catch his drift.

 

At Divum Stratum, the air is yet to grow rancid. Dozens of Seraphim have secured along the perimeter, ready with arms on hand. Nobles have long abandoned their lofty settlement into a safe house built beneath The Palace. Archivist and Scripts joined along, leaving the ancient library. The only civilians who stayed behind on the surface are Meyer, Blautiel and Ölver-- along with three men of the team.

Being the most proficient spellcaster, Alma joined the defense squad tasked to maintain the protective barrier. Stationed atop highest chamber of the palace, they have been equipped with nearby devices specifically build to converge energies. Banri joined the archer team, while Hameda blends with the front line. Inside the topmost chamber, Seers have begun to evoke protective barrier. Slightly different from one erected in the lower ground, this barrier is hued green-ish; a color note for stronger spell.

Alma stood in the apex, pulling out his magic spear of light, Kongō. His other palm, vacant from holding weaponry, flips open the sacred book plated inside a small protrusion. He begin to read passages of it.

 

"Ten times thee shall be broken, twelfth rise. Imbue thine faith with your Lord,

Gilthar's words. For it shall be thine protection!"

 

Kongō glowed, before channeling a surge of magic energy into the barrier's layer. Everyone put a wowed expression as they saw the barrier started to multiply and the color hue turns fortified green. High Priest Ebraldi has come back, they praised, as Alma walks into the summoning tower. A role model for every Ophanim who forgo holy magic as postgraduate major, Alma's unpaired talent gets everyone in awe even after he disappeared for nearly a decade. The man returned every greeting humbly, saying he's here merely to assist.

 

"High Priest! Will this be sufficient to repel the HOUNDS' attack?" asked one of the

caster.

"Rest assured." Alma nodded firmly. "They shall not break our defense easily." as he

veer into the distance, seeing no threat seems to be found...

Alma found one suspicious spot floating in the sky. "What is that?" he hurried to the

scope laid on the tower's edge.

"High Priest! What is the matter?"

No answer replied; for he is now curious what of the unidentified thing. After a careful

observation, Alma turned around. His alarmed chestnut orb shows incoming of a

powerful threat. "Everyone, please stand ready!" he issued.

 

Each of the caster's eyes cringes in question. "Whatever the happen, High Priest? Is an

attack coming?"

"Dragons." Alma replied shortly. Spine-tingling shiver rolls down on everyone's back,

vibrating against their heartbeat.

"Dragons?! That is impossible! Didn't our watchmen concluded their army only has

land beasts?!"

"They might have concealed the dragons using a furtive spells. Get ready! They're

almost here!" Concerned, Alma went back to his post. Grabbing Kongō once more and

flipping through the sacred text, he recites another verse.

 

Down at the archery squad, Banri led the front. His titular name as the Southern Robin gave him ease of trust from many soldiers. As the bearded man busy preparing his arrow load, a soldier came rushing.

 

"Sir Yates!!" Eyes still etched to the leather pot, Banri grunts jokingly.

"Didn't I tell ya just now, 'Banri' is fine?"

"Sir! There's a message from the tower!" Surprised, Banri stood up in a rush, spilling

the pot's content. Sound of wooden arrow streaking the ground; clattering-- he paid

no mind. "A message?!" his eyes scans around, to a spot where a reflective light is sent

by using aligned mirror.

 

Two flashes means there is no enemy sighted, three means air force squad is found, four means... peril. There was four. As the light fades after the last blink, Banri hurried to relay the message.

 

"On your position! Target spotted, twenty-six point eleven degrees to the west!"

The soldiers quickly took their crossbow, aiming at the said angle.

"Damn, the war is finally begin..." Banri mumbles.

"Reload as fast as you can!" he shouts, giving encouragement. Seeing everyone's so

edgy, one soldier asked again. "Sir Yates, what's our target?"

"You'll see soon. Now get ready!" Banri replied, then took his stance.

 

Three seconds passed. Everyone has their arrow aligned westward, the trigger is locked ready. Five seconds. Gust of morning breeze feels like ersatz gimmick on a foul day. Ten seconds. No movement at all; each soldier have benumbed their folded legs. Twelve seconds. Few silent chatters were heard.

"Hey, when is the target coming?"

“I don't know!"

"Did the tower really saw the right thing? What if they mistook mere flock of birds as

threat?"

"Like that would happen!"

Fifteen seconds. Banri felt a dollop of sweat fell from his forehead. His heart races, anxiously waiting for the awaited apparition. Twenty-one seconds. From afar, an echoed roar was heard. The soldiers began to crow in panic.

 

"What... What was that?!"

"Stay your ground!!" Banri halts them from moving away even an inch.

 

Twenty-six seconds sharp, a giant shadow looms over the sky. Everyone dropped their jaws as they saw monstrous wings sprawled, hurling the wind up and down. An elongated, sharp-at-end tail follows after, sweeping the clouds in litheness of motion. One soldier finally managed to gets his words out.

 

"A... D- D- Dragon!!!"

"Fire!!!" Banri commands; at once they abode. Thousands of arrow launched above,

aiming straight at the dragon's belly. The ginormous beast seems to have cunning

reflex. It rolls to one side, flying further from the trajectory.

"Reload!!!" Not giving up, Banri took more arrows to hand.

"Seven to eight point two degrees northward! Fire!!!" another pack of arrows flew.

This time though, he realized there were less from earlier.

"Don't run tails first, now! Shoot the dragon down!!"

But his order seems to have fallen deaf ears. Even under his dewy eyes, Banri knew

his soldiers faltered, afraid of the dragon.

"Tch! This is what you get from building half-assed army!" he spat to himself.

"But not me!" grinned, he took three arrows at once. "Take this, monster!!"

 

Fired at the dragon, his special move Tri-Shots. Only one missed, two successfully lodged themselves on the dragon's belly. A pained roar reverberates through the air. The dragon turns around to see its potential opponent, then maneuvers down. Alma's barrier prevented it from going down, but the dragon persist. It began throwing fireballs, hoping to tear the barrier down.

 

The tower's peak, Alma casted even more verse to strengthen the barrier. Though his

sweat have drenched down to his outer coat, the man stood still.

"We must not let it pass through!" He said.

 

Easier said than done; his squad also suffers the same morale deflation as Banri's. One by one began to lose their focus, weakening the barrier which only adds more burden for Alma to bear.

 

"Everyone, please! We must not--" by his eye's corner, Alma saw a fearful change in

the air.

 

The dragon backed off, not spitting any more fireballs. Instead, it went into a static curl, as if to evolve itself. Slowly, its scales grew sturdier and the color turns black. A protective headgear forms around its head, with horns jotting forward from both sides. The dragon uncurl itself, boasting his newly-built armor which now glows in eerie purple. When the dark aura froth from within the armor, Alma knew this dragon might, after all, tear the barrier down.

 

"The dragon... It evolves into a Darkside?!"

 

Overwrought in panic, Alma swipes down more page. As he about to recite it, though, the dragon rammed its horn to the barrier. Effortlessly, the barrier groaned before it came off in foible view. Every Ophanim on that chamber shrieks as the shards eructates easily, leaving them bare open face-to-face with the giant.

 

"You shall not pass!" Alma advanced towards the dragon, casting a quick spell.

"Barrier!!" he put up every might of him to enlarge a small barrier into one enveloping

his troops. "Don't worry, we're safe here!" he affirmed.

The dragon noticed that this pack of weaklings are none to next in his breakfast menu,

so he sweep off again and flew off. "Oh, no!" Alma realized he had make a false move.

"The dragon... it's heading to the archer squad!!"

 

Outside the tower, Banri somehow have predicted he would be tasked to slay this

Giant by himself. "Ha! Seems that my streak of bad luck still going strong for years."

Cynically, he laughs at himself. Looking around, there were only few left of his troop

who looks capable continuing the fight.

"Back me up! I'll try to blind its eyes, at the very least." he charged towards the flying

Dragon, roaring maliciously under its hissing, ramiformic tongue.


------------------------------------------------------


End of Chapter 55!


© 2017 Latifa Rahim


Author's Note

Latifa Rahim
The *war* begins! Dun-dun-dunnnn!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
Added on January 4, 2017
Last Updated on January 4, 2017
Tags: 55, chapter, adv, six, book, adventure


Author

Latifa Rahim
Latifa Rahim

Bogor, Bogor, Indonesia



About
Newcomer in writing world! Loves sci-fi and adventure as genre. Does drawing, too. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5