A Dangerous Affair Chapter 3

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 3

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Fun and games

"

“Take a seat,” Carlton said, holding Tom’s glare.
 
Tom sat down opposite Carlton and Stephanie, and Carlton removed his hand from her leg. She had to admit that she was relieved that Tom had intervened and what’s more, Carlton didn’t seem to mind his presence. Perhaps Tom and she could infiltrate the group as a couple. It would be safer for Stephanie to have Tom around, although it would also mean that she’d have to involve Tom in her story. She didn’t like that idea at all but on the other hand, for the time being, she really had no other option.
  
Hours passed with a lot of flirting between the men and women in the group. Stephanie had a few more glasses of wine but managed to avoid accepting another drink from Carlton; the last thing she wanted was to get drunk in that type of situation. She tried on several occasions to push Carlton for information, but he seemed reluctant to talk about anything other than trivia, and to push him further would arouse suspicion. Still, they had time, and they were making steady progress.
 
Whilst she was talking to Carlton, Tom turned to make conversation with the other women. It must have been Tom’s idea of heaven having dozens of women literally draping themselves all over him. She was lucky that he wasn’t really her partner, considering the way he was behaving. Then Tom got up to find the toilets and the atmosphere of the table seemed to change. Firstly, Carlton turned to Stephanie saying,

 

“I am having a small get together tomorrow if you and your partner would like to join us.”
 
This indicated acceptance into the group, and he’d invited Tom too.
  
“I think we would like that, thank you,” she smiled.
 
“Come around 6 o clock to the old theatre, Pickering Street. Do you know of it?”
  
It seemed like a fantastic opportunity and Stephanie’s hopes were high. Furthermore, if they were on his own premises, who knows, they may even be able to take a quick look around and see if they could find out more about his business that way.
 
“No but I am sure we will find it.”
  
“I own the building; I think you will enjoy the experience.”
 
Stephanie was suddenly thrilled to have succeeded in getting an invitation out of him. Now they were considerably closer to their goal. Her feelings must have been apparent in her face but Carlton mistook her reaction when she said,
 
“Thank you, I will look forward to it.”
  
He looked at her intently then and she felt slightly anxious again. She glanced around for Tom but he still hadn’t returned to the group.
  
When she turned back she saw that Carlton seemed to have the unwavering attention of the majority of the people at their table. He turned then and slipped something into Stephanie's palm.
 
“Something for you to enjoy before then,” he smiled. She looked down to see that he had put a pill into her hand. “I hear that you enjoy this kind of stuff.” He was waiting and watching her intently. She was torn, this is what they were researching and it could be the beginning of uncovering his entire operation, but suddenly the whole group were looking at her and she felt pressured. She looked around again for Tom but he was still nowhere to be seen. Damn, where on earth was he? “Did I hear wrong?” Carlton said with a frown.
  
“No, no.” she replied, not wanting to ruin their chances. Then she hesitated for a moment but could not delay anymore without jeopardising all they had achieved that evening, so she popped the pill into her mouth and swallowed it with a swig of her drink. She sat for a while anticipating a reaction to the drug, but she felt nothing.
  
Moments later she heard, “Excuse me, can I have a word with Stephanie here for a few seconds?” Tom grabbed Stephanie’s arm, pulling her out of the group and across the room. He led her down the corridor again and they sat on a sofa at the back of the bar. It was in a small area, half blocked from sight by a partition, and he turned to talk frankly to her.
 
“What the hell did you just take?”
 
She looked at him sheepishly but tried to shrug it off.
  
“I’m fine Tom. And better than that, I’ve got us an invitation to his place tomorrow,” she said with enthusiasm.
  
“You’ve also got the attention of a real sleazy b*****d in there. You’d better watch yourself Stephanie.”
  
“Oh Tom, I’ve been fighting off men for years. I can deal with him.”
 
Tom’s eyes became intent and he looked at her thoughtfully then for a few moments.
 
“Well if we have an invite then let’s make our excuses and go,” he said, rising off the sofa. He looked around then but Stephanie hadn’t moved.
  
“You go and tell them we are leaving Tom, I’ll wait here for a bit.” she said, looking down and grasping the table in front of her.
  
Tom frowned. “Are you okay?”
 
“Yes I’m fine, go and tell them,” she urged.
 
He left her then and she sat, taking in deep breaths. In the back of her head she knew what was happening to her but at that moment she avoided thinking of anything that would dull her sudden bright mood.
 
She leant forward to look past the partition and over at the bar. All the people were chatting, laughing and enjoying themselves, and she suddenly wanted to be among people again, but her legs had unexpectedly decided not to work. Looking down at her feet, they seemed to be a long way away. She laughed to herself.
 
“How did that happen?” she said out loud. Sitting back on the sofa she brought her feet up under her, by her reasoning, to bring them back closer to her body. As she looked down at the table in front of her she seemed to be seeing every minute detail on it, the grooves in the wood, the paper in the beer mats and some small grains of salt that had been spilt. She leaned forward and trailed her finger through the grains, smiling to herself.
 
“There are more grains of salt in the world than…” she paused for thought. “No that’s not right at all, silly me. There are more grains of…sand, yes that’s it. I knew I’d get it. More grains than…”
 
“What you doing?” Tom stood over her with an amused expression on his face.
 
“Hello you,” she said. “Come sit down here.”
 
“I think we should go now Stephie,” he grinned.
 
She looked up then suddenly. “No, no I can’t.” she said seriously. “My feet are too far away you see, I’m just waiting for them to come back to me.”
 
“Oh Lord!” he said sitting down, folding his arms and watching her with a beaming smile. She continued to speak, and much to Tom’s amusement and delight, Miss Prim and Proper Stephanie White was completely out of control.
 
“Have you ever stopped to think that there are about a million or so grains of…” she paused, “…sand in the world and what that means?”
 
“No, what does that mean Stephie?” He was finding it difficult not to laugh out loud.
 
“I don’t actually know but it’s an interesting thought though, don’t you think?”
 
“Okay, it’s time to go,” he said standing suddenly.
 
“Party pooper,” she sulked, grabbing him by the sleeve and dragging him back onto the sofa. “Anyway we can’t go yet, I’m too thirsty. I think I could drink the whole ocean right now.” She looked at him with pleading eyes. “Tom Tom, will you be a darling and go get a bottle of water from the bar for me?” She looked down and started to fiddle with his shirtsleeve. “I’d be really, really grateful.”

 

Bloody hell, he’d have given anything to hear Stephanie say something like that to him before, but now he was disturbed to find himself more concerned for her welfare. That pill must have been seriously strong to make Stephanie act like that.
 

“Listen to me Miss Mischief, don’t go anywhere before I come back. Okay?”
 
She blew him a kiss and he headed for the bar with a grin.
 
When he came back to the table, to his shock and amusement, she was lying down across the sofa, looking up at the ceiling.
 
“Oh, you got it for me; you’re my hero,” she said, reaching up and tugging on his jacket. “I’m a bit tired now though darling, I think I’ll take a quick nap.”
 
“Oh no you won’t darling; we have to get out of here.” He reached out to pull her up.
 
“Oh but baby, you can’t make me go, I’m way too, too tired. I’m going to sleep here.” She leant back and pulled him to sit on the sofa again, “Come sleep here with me Tommy.”
 
Great, now she asks! He stood up yet again, and in one swift movement, picked her up around the waist and threw her over his shoulder. “If we don’t go now, you’re going to give us away darling,” he said, carrying her out to the car park through a side door, depositing her in his car and securing a seat belt around her.



© 2011 Repgreece


Author's Note

Repgreece
What do you think of the characters and storyline?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol, wow i loved it! how could she be so stupid and take that pill? *sigh* yet again she didn't have a choice. she could have atleast pretended, orr put it in her purse and say she didn;t feel like taking it right now or something. i blame tom for not showing up earlier.
lol, i liked how she acted after shr took it though. she was loopy! :P seems ti me, that Tom is possibly a nice guy since he's concerned for her and isn;'t trying to take advantage if her in that state.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

536 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 10, 2011
Last Updated on April 10, 2011

A Dangerous Affair