A Dangerous Affair Chapter 21

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 21

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Tom is jealous

"

As Tom and Stephanie stood there on the upper deck, a figure move out of the corner of Stephanie’s eye on the deck below. She pulled her head back abruptly.
 
“Tom, I think we’re being watched.”
 
Tom looked at her in bewilderment for a moment before Stephanie walked across the deck to glance over the railing at the lower deck.
 
“I saw someone down there watching us.”
 
Tom joined her. “Are you sure?” He glanced over the railing and back at her suspiciously; was it an excuse?
 
Stephanie frowned. “I saw someone down there Tom,” she replied adamantly.
 
“So it was a guest, so what?” he shrugged.
 
“No, this person didn’t look like a guest in the way he was dressed and, well, he was…lurking.”
 
“He was what?” Tom seemed amused.
 
Stephanie placed her hands on her hips. “Look Tom, believe what you like, but he was acting oddly.”
 
She strode back towards the exit then and he called after her, “Well he isn't here now.”
 
She wasn’t listening though as she moved back down the stairs to take a closer look. He caught up with her at the bottom of the stairs but saw with surprise, and a little disappointment, that Henry was approaching them. Damn, fate was conspiring against him!
 
“There you are, I’ve found you at last. So sorry to have not been there to greet you. I’m afraid I was busy elsewhere,” Henry explained.
 
“Not to worry. Tell me, did you happen to see anybody else here just now?” Stephanie asked.
 
Henry looked puzzled. “No, just you two. Why, were you looking for someone?”
 
“No… must have been my imagination,” she shrugged.
 
Henry smiled and put his hand on the small of her back, gesturing to the other side of the boat. “Would you like a tour?”
 
They made their way back and Henry gave them an overview of the boat, explaining the different decks and rooms. Tom followed them, watching from behind as Henry touched Stephanie’s back and looked constantly across at her. They talked a lot about travel, and Stephanie seemed to be engrossed in all his stories about his adventures in different places around the globe. To Tom’s aggravation, he found himself tagging behind.
 
After some time, Henry led them into a small lounge on a lower deck where he strolled over to the bar in the corner to pour them some more champagne.
 
“Stephanie, some friends of mine are flying in from Singapore next week. You must say that you will accompany us to the local hunt ball.”
 
Stephanie noted that Tom seemed to be excluded from the invitation. She looked to Tom and back to Henry again, unsure of how to respond.
 
“Thank you. Tom and I will check our schedules.” She smiled briefly at him.
 
Shortly there was a knock at the door and a man entered; he pulled Henry to one side and spoke to him discretely. Afterwards, Henry turned back to Stephanie and Tom.

“I’m so sorry, I ‘m wanted again. Please feel free to finish your drinks and join us on the upper deck.” He followed the man out of the room.
 
“I hope I didn’t interrupt anything there?” Tom said, heading for the bar to refill his drink.
 
Stephanie looked thoughtful. “You know, something seems odd about this whole evening: the people out there, Henry… and did you notice how he only seemed to have invited me to that hunt ball? Why would he do that if he thought we were partners?”
 
“Oh, at last you’ve finally twigged that he has eyes for you,” Tom mocked.
 
She frowned. “I didn’t say that.” She thought for a moment. “Well, maybe he has, but he was fine at the theatre.”
 
Tom laughed, but there was no pleasure in it.. “I had to run after you, remember? He took you off to the back room!” He was amazed at how blind she was being.
 
All right!” she snapped back. “What’s wrong with you all of a sudden anyway?”
 

He stared at her for a long moment as if trying to work something out. “Tell me Stephanie, why were you so keen to come here tonight? I mean, I thought we were going for a story on Hugh, not Henry.”
 
What was he insinuating? “But we’re not getting anywhere with Hugh at the moment, so I thought that we should take any opportunity we’re given to find out more,” she said defensively. “Why, what other reason would I have for wanting to come here?”
 
“I don’t know, you tell me. You seemed to be enjoying all the attention he was showing you just then.”
 
She laughed bitterly. “Are you mad? You think I’m attracted to Henry?”
 
He narrowed his eyes at her. “I just don’t know how you could let him touch you like that.”
 
“What? I didn’t let him touch me!” She was beginning to get angry now.
 
“I was right behind you two, and he had his hands all over you!” he accused.
 
She pointed angrily at him. “You’re losing it Tom. Now, I’m going to get some fresh air,” she said, placing her glass down and swiftly leaving the room.
 
In the darkness of the corridor Stephanie looked about her, trying to remember the way back to the party. Then she heard a noise behind her. She turned abruptly but was pulled roughly backwards, and before she could register what was happening, a hand clamped over her mouth. In a sudden jabbing motion, she brought her elbow back into contact with the person behind her. She heard a gasping sound and was released abruptly but found herself hurled forward as the boat jolted. A sudden sharp pain tore through her head, then and all went black.



© 2011 Repgreece


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree steph is blind and tom is obviously jealous! it's like they really are a couple! OMG, awesome cliffhabger! can't wait to see who grabbed her!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Steph is so blind. Poor Tom...


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

525 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011

A Dangerous Affair