A Dangerous Affair Chapter 27

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 27

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Stephanie is forced to open up to Tom

"

Tom ran himself a bath and tried to relax in its warmth, but he could smell Stephanie’s perfume and he was taunted by thoughts of her, so he gave up soaking in the water, got changed into some jogging bottoms and went back downstairs. He picked up their used coffee mugs and strolled into the kitchen, to find Stephanie making herself some hot chocolate.
 
“Will you wake me in the morning Steph? Or I’m likely to sleep in with no alarm.” He startled her as she hadn’t heard him approaching and she swung around to face him. He laughed. “Sorry, it’s just me.” He was standing in the doorway, leaning against the doorframe, and her eyes widened slightly when she registered that he wasn’t wearing a top. He seemed to take over the room with his presence, even though he hadn’t yet entered it, and although she diverted her eyes and turned again to finish making the hot chocolate, she was acutely aware of his presence.
 
“Yes, I’ll set my alarm. Would you like a hot drink?” she asked, busying herself at the counter top.
 
He came up behind her, leaning over her to place the empty mugs on the counter. Her eyes darted to the muscular arm in front of her and he was close enough for her to feel his breath against her hair. She shied away from him and turned around suddenly, leaning backwards to put some more distance between them when he failed to move away. She folded her arms in front of her and glared at him.
 
“What?” he asked, noticing her expression.
 
“You, standing there like that.” Her eyes moved up and down his body.
 
He laughed. “Like what?”
 
“You know. Do you think that you could wear a bit more clothing when you are walking around my house?”
 
He shrugged. “Why? I never wear a top in bed. “ He grinned. “In fact I don’t normally wear this much.”
 
“I’m sure you don’t,” she said pushing him away. He went to move back towards her but she put her hands on his chest and kept him at arms length. “Look Tom, about tomorrow evening...” It was a swift change in conversation and it threw him for a moment. He took a step back and watched her run a hand through her hair. She looked agitated for some reason. He wondered why.
 
“What about tomorrow evening?” he asked.
 
“Well, err, I have something planned which I can’t get out of, so you get the evening off babysitting me,” she said, trying to make light of the situation.
 
A frown flickered across his face. “Oh yeah, what you got planned?”
 
“Well, it’s a family function,” she replied, not giving anymore away.
 
“Oh,” he sounded surprised. “A party?”
 
“Sort of.”
 
"So, don’t I get an invite then Steph?” he smiled, “Since I am your protector,” he added.
 
She looked uncomfortable. “It’s just for family Tom, sorry.”
 
“A party with just family?” he pushed. “You must have a huge family then.”
 
She turned around again then to avoid having to answer him. He took hold of her arms and turned her back. “So, is it only family going then?” he asked.
 
He stared at her and she stared back, not knowing how to answer. The silence stretched on, forcing her to eventually speak. “Not exactly.”
 
“Hey, you don’t want me to go, that’s fine. Just say so,” he said defensively.
 
“I’m going with my boyfriend,” she suddenly blurted out.
 
He frowned, and for a moment Stephanie saw raw emotion in his face, before his expression hardened and he shrugged. “You should have just said.”
 
She suddenly felt remorse for having said anything, for having to go to the event, and for having to be with another man.
 
He turned around to walk away but her hand shot out to grab his arm. “Tom, wait. Look this was arranged months ago so I can’t do anything about it.”
 
He glanced at her over his shoulder. “Sure. It’s none of my business,” he said, taking his arm away. “I’m going to bed.”
 
“Tom,” she called after him as he walked away. He ignored her and made his way up the stairs.
 
Tom lay in Stephanie’s spare bed, staring up at the ceiling angrily. He couldn’t sleep for the thoughts racing around his head, and that made him angrier. Turning around, he punched the pillow and put his head on it, closing his eyes with determination to get some sleep. He lay there seething, tossing and turning for what seemed like hours before eventually sleep caught up with him.
 
He awoke with a start and sat up in bed suddenly when he heard a loud scream. Jumping out of the bed, he ran into Stephanie’s room to see her sitting on the side of her bed with her hands covering her face.
 
“What’s wrong? What happened?” he asked.
 
“Sorry, I...” her voice was shaky and she couldn’t seem to finish her sentence.
 
He moved towards her, sitting on the bed next to her and removing her hands from her face. “You been dreaming eh Stephie?”
 
She nodded and bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears. “I was drowning, I couldn’t breathe. You were coughing and choking and there was blood everywhere...I don’t know. Stupid eh,” she laughed bitterly. “It’s just a bloody dream. And everything worked out fine, right? Apart from the fact that some guy is out there trying to kill us and some other guy is apparently obsessed with me and likely to grab me at any moment and...” As she was talking, angry tears began to slide down her face. “...and now you’ve got to bloody well babysit me. Even Brick doesn’t think I’m capable of sorting anything out on my own. But I won’t give up damn it. I’m going to write this bloody story and show him what I’m capable of, so they can all go to hell,” she moved away from him and sat back on the bed, leaning against the head board and pulling her knees up. She hugged them to her body and rocked a little, staring at him with tears pouring out of her eyes and an angry red face. “And you don’t need to baby sit me Tom. I started this on my own and I’ll finish it on my own!” she shouted defiantly.
 
“Have you quite finished?” he asked.
 
She frowned but continued, angrier than ever. “No I bloody well haven’t finished! This isn’t your problem Tom.” For some reason she wanted him to react but his calm exterior angered her further. He failed to reply. “I am not your responsibility! We mean nothing to each other and yet you almost died out there. Why? Why are you doing all of this?” she demanded to know.
 
He folded his arms and simply stared at her, refusing to answer as she ranted on. “You’re a bloody idiot!” she suddenly jumped off the bed and began pacing the room in her long satin and lace nightdress. “Are you just going to sit there Tom and not say a word?” she shouted.
 
He turned to look at her. “Yes, until you calm down.”
 
She laughed. “Well excuse me for not being calm Tom! I need to get some fresh air,” she said suddenly, storming towards the door.
 
He jumped up then and was at the door before her, slamming it shut and trapping her against it. “Calm down!” he shouted loudly. The words reverberated around the room and shocked her slightly before she hung her head and began sobbing in earnest. He moved to put his arms around her then but she pushed them away.
 
“Oh please, spare me the sympathy!” She went to move past him but he caught hold of her by the arms. She tried to snatch them away but he held them firmly in one hand and pulled her towards him, with an arm around her shoulder. She began to struggle.
 
“Let go of me!” she shouted.
 
“Damn it Stephanie, no, no I won’t!”
 
She struggled, but he just held her closer.
 
“I hate you! Why don’t you just leave me alone?” she sobbed against him.
 
“I’m not leaving you,” he said calmly and adamantly.
 
“Why? Why?”
 
“This is why,” he said, lifting up her head with his hands and covering her face with kisses. She sobbed and struggled for breath, turning her face away. He turned her head back and looked deeply into her eyes before pulling her back into his arms and holding her tightly. She sobbed until she had no tears left and leant weakly against him.
 
“You have a right to be upset,” he whispered into her ear. “I’m surprised that you lasted this long without breaking down Stephie. But you have to be out of your mind if you think that I’m going to leave you alone to all of this.”
 
“But it’s not your problem,” she whispered back.
 
“I’m making it my problem.” He pulled back a little and brushed a tear soaked strands of hair back from her face. “So you can forget about trying to get rid of me.”
 
“Why?” she repeated. He slid his hands down over her satin covered body. “Because you want sex with me? There must be an easier way of getting sex,” she said with exasperation.
 
He ran his hands back up her body and into her hair, tilting her head upwards and running kisses down her cheek. “It’s more than that and you know it,” he whispered against her skin.
 
She closed her eyes and tried to fight the heat that had begun building in her. When she opened her eyes he was watching her. His gaze moved to her lips and her eyes mirrored his. She stood completely still, anticipating his next move.
 
“Why don’t you kiss me Steph?” he asked, not wanting her withdrawal from any attempt he made.
 
His fingers feathered up her back and down her arms, making her shiver suddenly. She shook her head.
 
“Why not?” he asked.
 
She sighed and put her forehead against his chest, looking to the floor. “It’s all too much, everything,” she admitted.
 
“You and me are too much?” he questioned.
 
“Yes, yes,” she nodded.
 
“I’m only asking for a kiss Stephie. Just one kiss.”
 
She laughed half heartedly. “I can’t do that.”
 
“Why?”
 
“You know why,” she mumbled.
 
“Tell me why Stephie,” he insisted.
 
“You know why,” she repeated.
 
He lifted her face up to him again, making her look at him. “No I don’t, tell me why you can’t kiss me.” Her heart thudded nervously. “Why Stephie?” he asked again. “Why?”
 
“Because I wont be able to stop!” she shouted at him.
 
His eyes widened with excitement and she pushed him away suddenly, moving around him and putting some much needed space between them.
 
“Go back in there now,” she asked. “Please Tom.”
 
He looked confused and torn.
 
“Please Tom,” she begged. "I'm going to bed now, and I want you to go back in there."
 
He ran a hand through his hair and shook his head at her. “Okay! But this isn’t the end of this.”
 
She nodded, just desperate to get him back in the spare room. He looked uncertain but turned to leave, pausing at the door.
 
“I don’t understand you Stephie, but I will. I’ll figure you out."
 
Tom went back to bed and lay awake for most of the remaining night with her words echoing in his head.
 
"I won't be able to stop."



© 2011 Repgreece


Author's Note

Repgreece
I would love some feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

There's definitly some heat between them. i love how their relationship is developing. ^^
Darn it!I forgot she had a boyfriend! She needs to dump him for tom and she knows it...or maybe she doesn't just yet. if hshe's fraid to fall in love, then ehy does she have aboyfriend? unless she's lying about it...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

585 Views
1 Review
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011

A Dangerous Affair