A Dangerous Affair Chapter 41

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 41

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

Stephanie learns a lesson

"

Over the next few days Hamilton-Brown came into the office frequently but to Stephanie’s great annoyance Brick insisted that she work on another story while Hamilton-Brown and he ‘looked into’ the Benton situation. Tom was also given other work to do and he moved back to his desk at the other side of the office. Tom and Stephanie spent little time together and although Tom mentioned their date on numerous occasions Stephanie seemed reluctant to commit to it and more concerned about trying to persuade him to work on the Carlton story in their spare time. Tom was a little disconcerted about her obsession with the story and although he didn’t want to continue working on it without Brick’s approval, he also feared that she might start taking things into her own hands if he couldn’t persuade her to wait for a few more days. Stephanie reluctantly agreed not to do anything without him but she became increasingly angry and frustrated with the situation and this caused tension between them. Furthermore, Tom was on edge every time Hamilton-Brown walked into the office for fear that Stephanie was going to say something to him that would jeopardize her job. He began to suspect that she had already said something to him considering the steely looks he noticed between them every time they passed.

Stephanie was on her way out of the office at the end of the sixth day when Tom caught up with her in the car park.

“Steph, slow down!” he called, running to catch her before she reached her car. She turned briefly to look at him and slowed down but didn’t stop. He reached her at her car and had to physically stop her from unlocking it and getting in before he had a chance to speak to her. He spun her around to face him.

“What the hell’s wrong with you?” he said with annoyance.

“I just want to get home, it’s getting unbearable in there,” she said, pointing back towards the building.

“Home?” he frowned. “Have you moved back home?”

“My father’s then, whatever.”

“Stephanie you have to pull yourself together. What the hell is all the attitude you’re giving to Hamilton-Brown about?”

She folded her arms defensively. “What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean. You carry on like that and you’re going to end up jobless.”

She tutted. “Why is everybody walking on egg shells around him? He comes in, takes the story off us and then just expects us to sit back and accept it. Well I won’t do that!”

Tom saw red. “You’re obsessed with the damn Carlton story! Why can’t you just leave it alone for a bit?”

She stared angrily at him. “You don’t care at all do you? After all we’ve been through this story means nothing to you!”

“I tell you what I do care about, I care about people. Who do you care about Steph? Eh? The only thing you care about is this story. You’re cold and selfish and I tell you something else,” he said, backing away from her, “if you’re not careful you’re going to end up a very lonely woman.” Before she could answer back he’d strolled away.

Stephanie got into her car and drove back to her house, wanting some normality back in her life. She tried not to dwell on Tom’s words but in the back of her head she hated to admit that perhaps there was some truth in what he’d said.

Her house was icy cold when she walked into it after having left it empty for nearly a week and there was a cold silence that hit her as she walked aimlessly from room to room. Finally she found herself upstairs and she wandered into her bedroom, staring at the bed. Stripping her skirt off she pulled back the covers and slipped underneath, hoping to find some warmth under the duvet. She lay in the cold silent room and felt an awful hollowness steal over her. She recalled the time after she’d been taken by Henry Carlton when Tom had got into the bed beside her and taken her in his arms. He’d held her all night and she’d slept peacefully, warmed and comforted by his nearness. She missed him so much. He was right, she had no one. She was going to end up totally alone. Wrapping her arms around her middle, she hugged herself and wept.

“Tom,” she whispered. “I’m sorry Tom. I’m sorry. There is someone I care about. I care about you. Please forgive me Tom, I’m so sorry.”



© 2011 Repgreece


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, well she should have brought him closer instead of pushing him away like that. i wonder what happened to her to make her not trust him, ythough there is the fact that tom was known as a lady's man. Sometimes we have to risk things to get what we want and thaT'S INCLUDING RISKING OUR FEELINGS. gLAD TOM FINally told her wat was on his mind. She can't string him along like that. :/

Posted 12 Years Ago


There Steph was that so hard? Great chapter. Short but so full of emotion. I can't wait to find out what's with her and Hamilton-Brown

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

464 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 29, 2011
Last Updated on April 29, 2011

A Dangerous Affair