A Dangerous Affair Chapter 70

A Dangerous Affair Chapter 70

A Chapter by Repgreece
"

The drinks are flowing

"
When Brick reached Tom and Simon, he dismissed Tom’s offer of a second drink from him that evening and ordered three whiskeys for himself, Simon and Tom. After all, if he was going to have to put up with the bad quality spirits they could bloody well join him too. Tom and Simon looked down and didn’t know which drink to start with. Neither of them was very sure about the whiskey so they picked up their beers, simultaneously took a swig but then put them back on the bar and picked up the whiskey glasses when they saw the look on Brick’s face.

Simon leant towards Tom. “Is this stuff any good?”

Tom leant back. “In here, not a chance.”

They took a look at Brick again who was glaring at them, shrugged, clinked glasses with him and took a sip. Both tried not to pull a face as though they had just eaten a sour lemon and smiled at Brick.

“Cheers boss,” Tom said.

Brick gave a curt nod.

***************************************

The barman placed two glasses of wine on the bar in front of Pippa and Stephanie and informed them that they had been sent over. They looked across at the men and Stephanie was surprised to see Simon talking to Tom.

“Oops, think we may have momentarily forgotten about Simon,” Stephanie pointed out.

Pippa giggled. “He’s a big boy now, he can look after himself. Besides, this is time for us girls. I feel like we haven’t had a girly chat for ages.”

“We’ll join them in a bit,” Stephanie said, lifting her glass up to Tom when he looked up.

“Cheers,” the girls mouthed.

Tom smiled and held up his glass back.

Stephanie mouthed to Simon, “You okay?”

Tom noticed and patted Simon’s back. “Drinking buddies,” he mouthed to Stephanie.

She laughed and gave him a huge smile.

Pippa whispered something to Stephanie and she nodded.

Brick was saying something about the difference between Irish whiskey and scotch whisky but Tom wasn’t really listening, he couldn’t tear his eyes away from Stephanie. She looked up and caught him gazing at her. Smiling coyly, she lowered her eyes.

“Isn’t she gorgeous,” he said under his breath, more to himself than anyone else.

Simon laughed. “Boy, I don’t know what I was worried about. You really do have it bad don’t you!”

Simon watched Brick on the other side of Tom as he grinned and nodded his agreement. They both laughed. Tom shook his head as he came out of his reverie and frowned, looking from one to the other.

“Quit that and drink you’re damn whiskey,” he said, feeling disconcerted by all the attention on him.

They all took a sip and the only one not to cringe at the taste was Brick. Either he was getting used to the taste, or he was showing them that no drink could beat him.

*******************************************

“So,” Pippa said, swapping back again to the subject that Stephanie was trying her best to avoid, “When are you going to tell him then?”

“Tell him what?” Stephanie said innocently.

“You know, tell him how you feel about him.”

Stephanie grimaced. “I don’t know. Not tonight though because I’ve had way too many of these,” she said, glancing at her wine, “and it’s bound to come out wrong, or I’ll end up saying something silly.”

“But tonight would be the best time! You are more relaxed. Tell him before you drink anymore though,” Pippa suggested.

Stephanie looked panicked. “God no, I really can’t Pip.”

“Why not?” she frowned.

Stephanie felt uncomfortable. “I just can’t, the words won’t come out.”

“That’s because you haven’t even admitted it to yourself yet, or me. Go on, admit it now,” Pippa urged.

Stephanie coloured up. “Not here! He’s just over there!”

Pippa grabbed Stephanie and pulled her around so that her back was to Tom. “Not that he can lip read anyway, but now you can admit it. We are way too far away for him to hear.”

Stephanie groaned. “What exactly would you like me to admit?”

“How you feel.”

Stephanie sighed. “I...care about him a lot.”

Pippa shook her head. “No, that’s not good enough. You feel more than that, I can tell. You’re in love with him aren’t you? Just say it!”

Stephanie covered her face with her hands and Pippa growled, prising them away. “Just say it for god sake! It’s only words. Then once you’ve said it, it may not be so hard to tell him.”

Stephanie doubted it. She took a deep breath and went to speak. “I...” she stopped, a look of pain and discomfort on her face.

*************************************************************

Simon spoke to Tom in a hushed voice. “Your boss doesn’t say much does he? He’s a bit serious. What do you ever talk about with him?”

Tom thought for a moment. “Work that’s all...oh and fishing, he loves fishing.”

Simon tried not to laugh.

“So boss,” Tom began, grinning and nudging Simon, “tell us about the trout.”

“Oh I’ve left her at home,” Bricks replied without thinking.

Tom and Simon burst out laughing. Brick frowned and took another look at his drink. Perhaps he should slow down a bit.

“I know what we need,” Tom announced. “We could all do with a good cigar.”

Simon didn’t look sure. “I don’t really smoke Tom.”

Tom dismissed his comment and asked the barman for three cigars from off the back shelf.

“It isn’t like proper smoking, it’s more of a sensory experience. But you’ve got to have one with cognac. It’s the only way to enjoy it,” he said. “Right boss?”

“Anything has to be better than this whiskey,” Brick admitted.

Tom ordered three cognacs but Simon insisted on paying for them.

*****************************************

“Stephanie, if you don’t say it soon, I swear to god I’m going to go and tell him myself!” Pippa said with frustration.

“What, you’re in love with him then?” Stephanie laughed, but then sobered when she saw Pippa’s glare. “Okay, okay. I...It’s just that...” Pippa’s glare became fiercer. “Okay. I lo...I think that I...” She gave up. “It’s no good Pip, I can’t do it!”

Pippa growled and moved away from the bar suddenly as if to walk off. Stephanie panicked and grabbed her arm, blurting out, “Okay, I’m in love with him! But I can’t tell him Pip!”

Pippa grinned. “Okay, well you have finally passed the first session of psychotherapy, I can see I’m going to have to work on the rest!”

*******************************************

The three men unravelled their cigars and Tom picked up a lighter from off the bar, leaning over to Simon to light his cigar. Simon puffed furiously but not a lot was happening. He became red in the face so Tom tutted and took it off him, lighting it himself.

“There, now wait till we’ve lit ours and I’ll tell you what you’ve got to do,” he said, lighting his and passing the lighter to Brick.

Simon held his cigar and put his elbow on the bar, testing out his best distinguished gentleman look and feeling quite impressed with himself.

With all three cigars lit, Tom picked up his cognac and indicated for Simon and Brick to do the same.

“Right. First you take a sip of this. Now you’ve got to coat your mouth with it, enjoy the taste and then swallow it.”

They all took a sip. Tom watched Simon and frowned. “Hey, it isn’t mouthwash! You’ve got to work on your technique.”

“Can we get on to the cigar bit now?” Simon complained.

“Yeah, yeah, all right. Now take in some of the cigar,” Simon had already done so but was coughing and choking, “Not like that!” Tom exclaimed. “You aren’t supposed to take it right in.”

Simon looked a little green. “Now you tell me!”

Tom chuckled. Brick grinned.

“You’ve got to take in a bit but don’t fully inhale. Then roll it round your mouth and savour the taste.” He demonstrated and even Brick looked intrigued. Brick and Simon copied him, looking much like a couple of goldfish with the faces they were making.

“Great, there you go,” Tom said, looking from one to the other. “Now you’ve got to practise your favourite John Wayne quotes,” he grinned.

Brick coughed and spat out a stream of smoke. “I’m not speaking that American rubbish!”

Tom ignored him and drawled out in his best John Wayne accent, “Talk low, talk slow and don’t say too much.”

Simon looked impressed but Brick huffed and turned his attention back to his cigar. Tom tried it again.

“If everything isn’t black and white, I say, ‘Why the hell not?’” He elbowed Simon. “Bet you haven’t got a John Wayne quote.”

Simon cleared his throat and began in a deep voice. “Get off your horse and drink your milk.” He looked at Tom smugly.

“Hey, that’s not bad.”

Brick tutted. “If you’re going to quote at least quote someone decent!” He began, “We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!”

Simon and Tom nodded at him but went on to voice their own quotes. The three of them sat there in their own little worlds, holding their cigars and quoting in deep, drawling voices.

Suddenly they heard a loud coughing sound behind them and they all swung around guiltily to face Stephanie with her hands on her hips.

“What on earth are you three doing?” she laughed.

Tom smiled. “Hello princess. Got them all quoting John Wayne. Well apart from the boss of course, don't know what he's quoting,” he chuckled.

She noticed their cigars and burst out laughing, looking from one to the other to the next. They beamed back at her with Cheshire cat grins


© 2011 Repgreece


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow their always smiling at her aren't they? yeah they defintily had a bit much to drink. OMG, she's about to tell him SOBERLY how she feels. ^^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Now just say it Stephie!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

643 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 17, 2011
Last Updated on May 17, 2011

A Dangerous Affair