Starry Sky

Starry Sky

A Story by Rhemaebel
"

Emily is a little girl who searches for her star in the starry sky. Will she be able to find her one star out of billions or will the cruel hands of death reach her first?

"

The Starry Sky

(Revision for the submission and entry in the contest: Any short Story)

By: Rhemaebel Gonzales Cordova

Twilight. In the Town of Avodroc the day has ended and the townsfolk retired to the comforts of their homes. People were walking home, stores were closing and houses were lighting. There weren’t any bright lights in Avodroc like the cities. But unlike the cities, this small town had an art that no painter can ever perfectly recreate. In the dark sky there are specks of light that fade in and out every millisecond. You can see small bits of light piercing through the darkness. The town had a magnificent view of stars with their radiance intricately designed through the night sky-but not everyone was happy with the faint lights in this town.

A little girl named Emily was underneath her cover covers trembling with fear. She wanted to sleep but every time she’d come close to falling asleep the noises from outside would make her eyes snap open. The howls of the hound made her remember of frightful things and the creaking of the branches, just outside of her window, slowly creeps through her imagination of a beast in rage. The darkness and noises from outside triggered her anxiety.

In another attempt to fall asleep she heard light footsteps gradually becoming louder and closer. She shut her eyes, covered her ears, and took short breaths. Her door slowly creaked open and before she knew it her protective blanket was taken off.

“Mommy! Daddy!” She automatically screamed at the top of her voice. “There’s a monster” and with every syllable of her cry for help she gasped for air but the tears from her closed eyes were swept away by gentle fingers

And a velvet voice answered her plea “Yes Emily? I don’t see any monsters here.”

 Recognizing the soft voice of her mom she opened her vivid blue eyes adjusted them to see clearly that she was correct and her eyes met with her mom’s similar to hers as blue as the ocean. She embraced her mom tightly and felt safe underneath the warmth of her arms.

Her mom tried to calm her down by stroking her long, silky, blonde hair.

“Emily dear, why aren’t you asleep yet? Do you want mommy to turn off the lights?” her mom asked.

“No mommy, it’ll be too dark.” She immediately replied

“But how will you go to sleep with the bright lights hurting your eyes?” her mom reasoned.

“Mommy I’m scared of the dark!” Emily protested.

Her mom scooped her up and turned off Emily’s light. She embraced her mom tighter and kept her eyes closed afraid of whatever might come out of the dark.

“Emily…” her mom chided “…open your eyes” Emily hesitantly followed her mom’s instruction and took a glimpse of her room. To her surprise her room wasn’t that dark. In fact, the effects of light and dark amazed her. The light makes her and her mom’s ivory, soft skin glow.

Emily wondered where the light was coming from there was no sun because it was night time. To her knowledge “Mr. Sun” had to sleep every night to wake little girls and boys the next morning.

“Did Mr. Sun wake up already?” Emily asked.

“Of course not Emily it’s just that Miss Luna the moon and the stars are lighting the dark sky” her mom playfully answered.

“Miss Luna? The Stars?” she raised her eyebrows

“You see the big round silver ball in the sky?” her mom pointed out the window up to the sky.

“That’s the moon and every time Mr. Sun goes to sleep she wakes up and lights up the whole world” her mom added.

“And how about the stars?” she asked again.

“See those little dots in the sky twinkling?” at once Emily peered out of her window and stared where her mom was pointing. Sure enough she found them. It was difficult not to miss since there were billions of them up in the sky.

“Yes” Emily replied in a mystified voice.

“Well those are stars. Do you know why they’re up there?” Emily just shook her head still dazzled by the beauty of the stars.

“They’re people’s guiding light. God placed them there so that people who would lose their way in the depths of darkness could know how to return home to Him.” Her mom told her.

“And also Emily the stars are here to keep little girls and boys safe from harm. So you mustn’t worry.” Emily beamed at the thought that there was something that God created especially for her.

“I wonder… Where’s my guiding star?” Emily scanned the sky looking for an indication that would point out her star.

“Emily my dear little angel, you’ll find it soon.” Her mom cuddled her tighter.

 Ever since that night Emily kept looking up at the sky and her mom would check up on her and ask her if she’d found her star. Then Emily right on cue would say “Not yet”. Every night she would keep looking at the sky and fall asleep next to her opened window.

Her father, after a few weeks of lifting Emily and tucking her to bed -only to find out a bit later that she’d woken up and stared at the sky again, decided to simply move her bed to a perfect angle that shows the night sky out her window.

 Every night Emily would look outside her window clutched in her arms her favorite pink stuffed animal rabbit ”Mira” and wait for her mom to come and kiss her good night or to tell a story about the stars again. This was her sign that she’d stop her search for tonight and continued on the next night and she’d fall asleep.

One evening,

“But Doctor we thought she’d get better if we’d moved out from the city where she’d find fresh air and…” Mr. Cousland trailed off confused and aggravated

“I’m sorry Mr. Cousland but I only said it would be a slim chance and according to the test results she only has…”

“There’s no need for you to finish your sentence doctor.” Mrs. Cousland cut in.

“But Honey no! Don’t just…”

“I simply wish she could find and show me her star before the time comes.” Mrs. Cousland whispered to herself

“Don’t say such things… NO!” Emily’s father shouted out of anger.

“Mommy?” Emily, wearing her pink pajamas and a pair of bunny slippers, appeared in the living room she was tightly embracing Mira.

“I heard daddy shouting. Is daddy angry?” she murmured.

“I’m sorry daddy woke you up my dear Emily” Her dad tried to say this in calm tone but couldn’t hide the tension in his voice to the point that he just sat perfectly stiff.

“Emily” her mom stood up from the sofa and knelt down to Emily.

“You smell like mom’s favorite flowers, pink carnations.” Her mom hugged her and enjoyed the fragrance of her little angel. Emily wondered why her mom suddenly brought up her favorite flower.

“I’ll take you to your room now say Good night to daddy and Doctor Avalon.”

Emily obediently said good night to them and kissed her dad.

When both of them arrived at Emily’s room, Emily quickly lay on her bed and her mom followed her at a slower pace.

“Emily have you found your star yet?” her mom asked again for the nth time.

“Nope” her usual response

“Is Mira keeping you company?”

“Yes, I don’t feel lonely if Mira’s around thank you for your Christmas gift mommy.”

“You’re welcome” her mom sighed deeply and started

“Emily, you know they say that people who’ve already left our world are up there with the stars”

“Left? Why did they leave mommy?” she asked.

“Well Emily nothing in this world is permanent it has a beginning and an end” Emily looked at her mom’s pale face, her weak hands trembling, her cheeks flushed out and looked warn out, her lips cracked and tears were rushing down from eyes. Emily traced with her tiny forefinger the deepened circles underneath her mom’s eyes. She was curious why her mom kept her head wrapped with a turban and how her mom gotten so much thinner. It’s only now that she has noticed these dramatic changes in her mom.

“Emily?” her mom’s voice seemed so uneasy, croaky, and in pain it didn’t sound like her.

“Do you want me to sing you a lullaby?” Emily hesitated for awhile and nodded in silence. She moved closer to her mom enclosing herself once again to her mom’s safe embrace drowning herself in her mother’s cherry blossom fragrance. Emily stared long and hard at her mom’s face forgetting for awhile her search for her star because she closed her eyes and her mother’s voice dragged Emily to sleep until the sweet voice faded into a simple tune and her mom fell into a “deep” slumber.

The next night Emily stayed awake starring at the starless sky.

Where were the stars? How come they weren’t here tonight? Were they hiding? Perhaps they were too sleepy to come out today? But where was her mom? These questions kept her awake. Her face was stiff emotionless. She doesn’t understand why but she couldn’t hold back the tears that were flowing.

Since yesterday night Emily didn’t see her mommy. Her daddy told her that everything was going to be alright he kept repeating it again and again but she could sense that there was a doubtful tone in her father’s voice that she couldn’t quite comprehend. When Emily finally fell asleep the sun was about rise and when she woke up it was about to set.

Emily feeling dizzy because of her hunger and insomnia headed downstairs. She was dumbfounded with the sight of a huge crowd inside their house. People were getting served with small pastries and hot drinks. She hasn’t seen this much people since the Grand reunion her parents hosted in Zelansville. Emily walked and squeeze through the thick crowd and finally found her dad crying silently over a rectangular box as big as their sofa designed with some candles and flower.

“Daddy!” Emily cried out unintentionally she didn’t know why but she can’t hold back and understand what her feelings are.

“Where’s mommy? Why are there so many people here? What’s that box?” with each question she asked her voice rose a few octaves and people’s voices started to fade out until it was dead silence. The guests were looking at the father and daughter anticipating what would happen next.

“Emily dear, Mommy went to sleep now” her dad answered with much heartbreaking tension.

“Well we can wake her up later then. Are we having a party? We should wake up mommy now because she really loves to talk to people!” whispers soon floated inside the slowly shrinking room and Emily became silent people began to sob, cry -suppressing the tragic scene.

“Daddy!” Emily shouted again and her father didn’t move an inch away from that rectangular prism.

“Wake mommy up! Wake her up now! Daddy!” and Emily threw a huge tantrum, she started sobbing and rolling down the floor throwing away the cushions everywhere, trying to rip apart anything that she had her hands on. She never threw a tantrum before -this was the first time.

She was never a spoiled child and she’d understand that she could no longer have time to play outside when it’s raining; she could understand why she can’t have any ice cream when she’s sick; she understands that she needs to finish all her vegetables; she understands why she can’t buy the pretty dress that’s too big for her.

But right now how come she can’t comprehend a single thing. She doesn’t know why her father’s crying. She doesn’t know why there were people inside her house. She doesn’t know why her father refuses to wake her mom inside the rectangular box.

But what she does know is that she wants her mom right now. She wants to be in her mom’s warm embrace; to smell the cherry blossom scent; to see her turquoise blue eyes and to listen to her lullaby. That something her mother can’t do anymore because she is dead.

During the funeral, the dark sky and spring’s icy breeze were getting heavier and chiller. This gloomy weather wasn’t of any help to Emily’s mood. People around her would try to cheer her up, offer her food and ask every few second whether she was okay or not-which irritated her a lot to. Relatives were saying their last farewells, mentioning how “Ema Cousland” was a good Friend, Best Friend, Aunt, Cousin, Sister, Daughter and Wife. After their long speeches they’d place a white daisy on top of her coffin. She remained silent in the whole ceremony nodded and shook her head to random questions that were asked to her. She didn’t care what her answers were and wasn’t paying the slightest attention.

 Not a single word escaped her mouth until… Her mom’s coffin was now descending into a dug up rectangular hole. She looked up and ran towards the men who were trying to fill the hole with soil.

“Stop! No!” She staggered.

“Daddy, stop these bad people! How will mommy come out if she wakes up!? ” Emily screamed waking the whole cemetery to life. It took her a couple of hours until she calmed down and by this time the hole was completely filled.

 Emily was back to her stoned face her father managed to take her away from her mom’s grave and settle her inside her uncle’s car. He promised her that he would come home as soon as he finished some funeral papers. He gave Emily her “Mira” and gave a gentle kiss on the forehead.

 Soon after, one by one her cousins went inside the car; she seems to be invisible to them since they were talking about the last “Kitty Bon Bon” episode. She didn’t care her face was as blank as the time she watched the starless sky. She looked up at the sky as if expecting stars to appear during the day. Disappointed, she redirected her gaze to somewhere else and that’s when she spotted them. The car’s door swung open and she ran out of the car.

It was an old woman carrying a bouquet of flowers. The old lady was a bit far away from Emily so after about several turns she was out of breath when she reached the elderly woman.

“Excuse me, how much are those flowers?” she asked with all her might embracing her Mira as if it were something that kept her together.

“”I’m sorry little one but these flowers aren’t for sale.” The old lady replied.

“Please I’ll buy them for…”  Emily reached inside her pocket and it was empty.

“Here you can have Mira.” She offered her pink stuffed bunny. “She’s very lovely, she smells really nice and if you have nightmares she’ll keep them away and…and…” Emily kept thinking for more reasons trying to negotiate with the old Lady.

“Little girl where are your parents?” the old woman asked.

“My daddy is arranging something and mommy” she pointed to the direction where her mom’s grave was. “Some bad people buried her. My mommy is…” she paused for a bit and forced back all the tears that were building up.

“My mommy is dead” tears now rolled down on Emily’s flushed cheeks. “Dead” Emily kept repeating the word as if this word was something new to her. A word she’d never forget.

Emily started to cry while the old woman looked at her with pity written all over her aged face. Here in front of her is a little girl willing to exchange her favorite toy for some flowers to give to her mom who just passed away. At young age already scarred with much painful memories-The elderly woman thought. The old lady handed her three pink carnation flowers.

“Thank you!” Emily for the first time in a long while smiled. The muscles in her cheeks ached as if it weren’t used for smiling. She dashed off as soon as she said goodbye to the old lady. Remembering the turns she took Emily successfully reached her mom’s final resting place.

“Mommy I brought you pink carnations it’s from a really nice old lady I’ve met.” She said aloud narrating to her mom about what happened, Describing the details about the old woman. She was with her mom but she was all alone, cold, tired and hungry yet she doesn’t have the heart to leave her mom. She fell asleep on the ground lying on top of her mom’s tombstone.

When she woke up it was already dark, the chilly gush of the wind was the only noise around, no one was there a normal 6-years-old girl to be alone in a cemetery would be really frightened.

“Mommy?” she called several times and the call for help were equivalent to several tears falling from her eyes. She was hoping for someone to respond but not a single person was inside the graveyard at that moment.

“Shine as bright as the Stars” Emily read the written words on her mom’s tombstone and at the exact moment when she read the last word, “Stars”, a reflection of light from the tombstone caught her eye.

 She looked and saw for the first time a star shining brightest of all amongst the thousands of little lights in the dark sky. She started to follow the star and just continued on walking in the streets she stumbled again and again but every time she did not shed any tears. She just kept walking and walking her eyes focused on the star.

Meanwhile, at 14th street in Avodroc village house 8, Emily’s uncle and her father were at the living room bickering on how Emily’s uncle could be so careless not to notice a little girl missing inside his car. The conversation grew louder and louder. Tired, stressed out and frustrated Mr. Cousland was panicking all the relatives that were available already searched the cemetery, Emily’s school, the park and all other places that Emily would’ve gone. He was panicking he even slammed the phone when the police told him that he couldn’t report a person to be missing without a 24-hours interval. Mr. Cousland sat with his face buried in his hands when suddenly his brother looked out of the window and said something that made Mr. Cousland turn hysterically and ran out of the door.

“Emily!” He lifted Emily and held her really tight making sure that his daughter was there that he wasn’t imagining things that she’s safe. He checked for injuries or a cold Emily had a few scratches on her knees.

“I’m sorry for worrying you daddy.” Emily felt so tired and just laid her head in her father’s shoulder. Her daddy carried his worn out child to her room tucked her in bed and asked where she went. Emily related everything that happened from when she got out of her uncle’s car to the old lady that gave her three pink carnations which then she placed on her mom’s gravestone.

“So how did you get home?” her dad asked.

“Mommy helped me” with this reply her father wanted to ask so many follow up questions whether or not Emily saw her mom’s spirit. But before he could’ve formulated the right words to ask as to not scare his daughter Emily added to her story:

“See that star daddy? That’s shining so bright that’s mommy. Mommy told me that people leave are up there with the stars maybe she became one. Stars in the sky are there to guide people who have lost their way in darkness.”

Both of them were quite for awhile Emily kept looking at the stars and her dad was looking at her.

“Mommy, thank you for being my guiding star” she whispered and with these last few words Emily closed her eyes and felt relaxed. At long last everything’s done after all those nights searching amongst the stars in the sky; the tears that trickled down her flushed cheeks; the questions that nobody could answer and the silence and confusion, now she could finally go to sleep because she now knows where her guiding star is.

That night in the little town called Avodroc, billions of stars brightened the dark sky. Emily’s guiding star shone down on her and made her feel safe and at peace because she knows she’ll never get lost in darkness, in fear, in hatred, ever again. Since God has blessed her with her very own guiding star.

The End

© 2013 Rhemaebel


Author's Note

Rhemaebel
Thank You for giving time for reading my work. Although I'm not much of a writer yet you chose to read my work through to the end or even just half way through. I would like to receive comments, suggestions, feedback and reviews from you but if you have criticisms about my work I humbly beg for you to give it in a polite and civilized manner.
Once again Thank You!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Fox
I really wanted to read it, but as soon as I saw the first word (which was Twilight)... Well, had to reconsider reading it XD.
Actually, the story was quite touching and interesting. All I wanted to ask - is Avodroc a real city or a made up one? Was too lazy too Google it XD.
Still, was very nice and fun to read it. Excellent job there :D. So, I guess -4 rating points for Twilight, but overall - great thing :).

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fox

10 Years Ago

Sparky gay vampires.. Q_Q
Rhemaebel

10 Years Ago

Haha they're fairies I tell you! Fairies !! Hahaha
Fox

10 Years Ago

Bloodthursty fairyes of doom >:D. Would've been a better book, though, if it had a plot like that XD.. read more



Reviews

I went into this story judging it by the first word. I made a mistake. What you have here is not what I thought it would be; instead of the badly-written supernatural romance I imagined would ensue, it turned out to be a poignant, touching and intimate little fable that I'm fortunate enough to have read. Reads as easy as a children's book, with touches of depth that resonate with the reader in many ways towards the end. Good job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhemaebel

10 Years Ago

thank you :)
Rhemaebel

10 Years Ago

I had to read your comment twice ... you really are a writer and it shows based on your given commen.. read more
Charles Anthony Almanza

10 Years Ago

Lol! I should've just said "I really enjoyed it" but I thought it would've been generic and kind of .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Fox
I really wanted to read it, but as soon as I saw the first word (which was Twilight)... Well, had to reconsider reading it XD.
Actually, the story was quite touching and interesting. All I wanted to ask - is Avodroc a real city or a made up one? Was too lazy too Google it XD.
Still, was very nice and fun to read it. Excellent job there :D. So, I guess -4 rating points for Twilight, but overall - great thing :).

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fox

10 Years Ago

Sparky gay vampires.. Q_Q
Rhemaebel

10 Years Ago

Haha they're fairies I tell you! Fairies !! Hahaha
Fox

10 Years Ago

Bloodthursty fairyes of doom >:D. Would've been a better book, though, if it had a plot like that XD.. read more
Thank You for giving time for reading my work. Although I'm not much of a writer yet you chose to read my work through to the end or even just half way through. I would like to receive comments, suggestions, feedback and reviews from you but if you have criticisms about my work I humbly beg for you to give it in a polite and civilized manner.
Once again Thank You!


Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very touching story. I think it makes a good children's story. However, it is apparent to me that English is not your first language. Your English is quite good, but there were a number of errors.

I did enjoy the story though. My heart went out to poor little Emily and I enjoyed the bittersweet ending. Keep writing!

Coincidentally, I too wrote a story of a little girl named Emily whose mother almost dies. http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/abcblair/1060729/

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rhemaebel

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your comment.:) I will try to revise and improve my grammar. I have some difficulties.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

392 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 15, 2013
Tags: Stars, Inspirational, Little Girl, God's Gift

Author

Rhemaebel
Rhemaebel

Philippines



About
I'm an amateur writer who dreams to become a big shot novelist and get my works published. A dream I hope with much effort can come true. I mostly write short stories and currently working on 2 novels.. more..

Writing