Lucy

Lucy

A Story by CJ Campbell
"

Lucy is a character from a work in progress.

"

Lucy stepped out a slender dark foot into the black tar of a southern night. The smell of death was clear through the wretched tangle of deep wood trees. Silver light showed the tracks of white horses. Only on moonlit nights did the party come.

“Isaiah, Isaiah why didn’t you run! Couldn't you run!”

More tracks.

“White horses - how could you.” Lucy shook her head in despair. “But, where are you?”

There!

There.

A slender figure in the moonlight strung.

Lucy's tears were silver steaks in a darkened place. Her light was gone. A light strung up and doused. "Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah!" Her silent mournful cry was heard only by the tree she embraced as close as she could come to reaching him. Then she heard it drumming through the tree her arms encircled. White horses! This time they were coming for her. The race was on!

© 2012 CJ Campbell


Author's Note

CJ Campbell
I want to know what images and emotions this evokes. Where does it take you?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, very powerful stuff.
Poor Isaiah, I hope Lucy gets away.
This story takes me to runaway slaves in the deep South of America. I'd love to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 19, 2012
Last Updated on September 19, 2012
Tags: antebellum, journal, white horses

Author

CJ Campbell
CJ Campbell

MD



Writing
Lady Lady

A Story by CJ Campbell


Lily Lily

A Story by CJ Campbell