Simpler Times

Simpler Times

A Poem by rhythm&blues

Remember when snowflakes were scented with baby's breath
street lights were dinner bells
riding bikes was a day's restitution of fresh air
there were no amber alerts or at least we were not aware
God was still politically correct at the start of a school day
Wonder bread was no wonder, but what did we care?
...Simpler places of the mind

© 2013 rhythm&blues


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This reminds me of a conversation that I had with a friend not too long ago...how life used to seem so big when we were small, and now it seems so much smaller now that we are big. Great imagery in this one, it really took me back to those special moments that I cherish in my mind.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rhythm&blues

10 Years Ago

So kind of you to say, thank you so much Sarah.



Reviews

Short and sweet just the way I love my poems :) Brings back memories of when I was a kid and would visit my great aunt. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
Amen! What a wonderful write...filled with 'wholesomeness' :) i do believe that was part of the Wonderbread commercials.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The mind really has to work, hard, hard, hard with this, because am having to focus on your words, your early memories and, not be tempted to think of mine! You know that they'll stay with you forever, don't you, young brain taking them in, fresh as a daisy. What wonderful and entirely different thoughts: 'God was still politically correct at the start of a school day - Wonder bread was no wonder, but what did we care?'

Tis already Christmas Day in the UK and this will be my last review before diving, hopefully, into sleep... thank you for a very sweet and peaceful dream ahead.

Wishing you everything desired for darlings and self..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Making snowmen and sledding down steep hills automatically came to mind for me. Your lines speak of days filled with fewer concerns, a time when the world was a less dangerous place. Childhood perhaps? Youth was a prime time to play in the snow and enjoy the outdoors. The lost world you write about seems to glisten with wonder from snowflakes in the gleam of streetlights to summers riding bikes.

Your line about the amber alerts is devastatingly insightful. Your words show how times have changed or how youthful perceptions changed to reveal a darker world. Well done with this write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


It's fascinating to see each generation pass on the memories of those 'simpler times.' My grandparents would tell us stories of when they were young, now my parent's do the same.

My sister and I were talking about it just a while ago, the both of us wondering what we might be saying to our kids and grand kids in the fullness of time.

Loved the poem. Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I remember this and I have to return to it in such moods as I am today when everything seems to be on even just one person's shoulders. Things are so overwhelming. What is it to see baby's breath in snowflakes when they look so similar and street lights have not replace dinner bells yet not all of us had dinner bells unless we lived on a dairy or a place in wild setting with trees, certainly there could be church bells in town in the greatest cities most populous but dinner bells would have to be replaced with church bells and I do not understand the allure of all of it still and yet there is in the simplest things we would be too bored to remain in one state or another, I mean between the complex and the thin

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
I am so enjoying your work, keep it going. I love when I come across writing that immediately engages me and keeps me wanting to read more, and so I will journey on and keep reading......

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marvelous description, and depiction of those simpler times. Unusual and original lines that blend together really well.

T

Posted 9 Years Ago


The rhythm of blues can be seen in this piece of poetry entirely and the imagery used is fabulous. Something which the readers would love to visualize and the reason for that visualization is not the reader,s power to grasp with in his thoughts but it is writer's perfection to dissolve the image into those thoughts.
Content is awesome but seems to be small and if expanded it would be marvelous. Its said that quantity doesn't matters but if quality is given a boost by quantity it would be awesome.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like this! And honestly miss the simpler times, especially because of the way you described them! xD
~Sunny~

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1432 Views
46 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on December 13, 2013

Author

rhythm&blues
rhythm&blues

About
I really don't know what to say on these 'about me' pages. I'm newly divorced, have recently found poetry and loving every minute of it. I'm a bit on the shy side until you get to know me. My best .. more..

Writing
I Want I Want

A Poem by rhythm&blues



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gravity Gravity

A Poem by Rita L. Sev


My reflection! My reflection!

A Poem by Tom