Home

Home

A Story by Rileigh Henson
"

Everyone has a place where they feel at home or where they feel safe. Everyone's safe place is different and they all have different meanings for it being that specific place.

"

Everyone has a place where they feel at home or where they feel safe. Everyone's safe place is different and they all have different meanings for it being that specific place. The place I feel at home is diving in a car. 


I feel most at home in a car because I like to look at everything. I like to see new places and notice things I have never noticed before. When I was little, my dad would drive me around in his truck to help me fall asleep and I would just look out the window and up at the stars. I would notice everything that I could before we passed it. It fascinated me so much when I was little knowing there was so much out there that I would probably have never heard of. I remember one time when my dad was driving me around, I was looking at the stars and I saw my first shooting star. I was little, so I was not sure exactly what it was, I asked my dad. My dad responded with, "It's a shooting star". I nodded and hummed to the music coming from the car radio. My dad then proceeded to say, "Since you saw one, you get to make a wish". He was smiling and I made my wish. I wished that one day, I would be able to travel the world in a truck just like my dads. Driving around makes me feel safe, like I am going somewhere in life, like anything is possible. No matter how fast I am going, I am getting somewhere beautiful.


The world is a beautiful place even on rainy days. Driving around the city and just looking at the buildings and the people walking, it's mesmerizing. It's mesmerizing seeing people do the things they love and seeing the spark in their eyes when they do something good for themselves. Driving in the countryside and driving in the city are two different things to experience. In the countryside, you see all the little animals there and there are barely any people around and you just get to enjoy nature and all of its beauty. In the city, you experience everything that society has build to make it beautiful. Driving around at three in the morning and driving around at three in the afternoon are completely different too. I could start driving at three in the morning all the way till three in the afternoon and  I could see so many different cars, animals, people. I would notice the change in how many people are on the road and how fast the traffic is going. Every little detail counts. 


If you think about it, sitting in a gaint piece of metal going 60 - 70 miles per hour next to another piece of metal is kind of terrifying, but it's part of what society has built and it is wonderful. Driving is one of the most dangerous things to do, but looking out that window and seeing the sunset or the sunrise, you forget that you are going 60 miles per hour on a highway next to a car going about the same speed. You forget where you are going for a few seconds and you forget that there is anything wrong with the world because all you see at that moment is the sun making a beautiful sunset that is saying, "Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow". That is what makes me feel at home, knowing that when I am driving I can just look at the sky and it can be the most outstanding thing I have seen all day.

© 2015 Rileigh Henson


Author's Note

Rileigh Henson
There might be some grammar mistakes and misspellings, but just tell me where and I can fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great writing! I love driving too.......though I think it has also something to do with desiring "being on the move". A dormant restlessness is often soothed by the movement of the car......if roads never ended, I could go that far!! Lol.....that is nearly a poem! Add some poems too.....I am sure that you have a conversational style that will take your readers for a "drive". :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I am confused. Is this you your talking about or other things? Maybe make it into a story and add a person and why she's out driving tonight. Something like "Tonight I'm driving to escape." have her escaping her past after she says It's her safe place. It's really cool :D I like it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This was a charming little piece. I like travel too, seeing all the sights, but I definitely couldn’t travel the world in a truck! I get stir crazy. I feel like it takes a special kind if personality to do things like that. I also like that the narrator goes so much into why they like travel, about what they see and how times of day are different. I think that, in part, is key; nothing looks the same driving at night as it does during the day, even when you’re familiar with the area. So, if you aren’t used to the area you’re bound to see some interesting things! Good read, thanks for sharing!


Suggestions:

~ “when I was little knowing” Comma after ‘little’.
~ “travel the would in a” Travel the world.
~ “just like my dads” Dad’s.
~ “its mesmerizing” It’s.
~ “society has build to make” Built.

Nitpicks:

~ “asleep and I would just look out the” Comma before ‘and’.
~ “something good for them self” Themselves.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow really beautiful, I really enjoyed it, if you would won't you could try putting this into a poem, I felt some real poetry in their :) Idk just think about it

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the fact that you hold those memories so dear to your heart. I know they are special to you.
Personally I would like to hear more about your dad.

Ps: Always wear a seat belt that add with the safety. :-)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great writing! I love driving too.......though I think it has also something to do with desiring "being on the move". A dormant restlessness is often soothed by the movement of the car......if roads never ended, I could go that far!! Lol.....that is nearly a poem! Add some poems too.....I am sure that you have a conversational style that will take your readers for a "drive". :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015
Tags: home, poem, story, cars, driving, nature, city

Author

Rileigh Henson
Rileigh Henson

Indianapolis , IN



About
Sad LMAOOO more..

Writing
Ruins Ruins

A Poem by Rileigh Henson