Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Kevin

                As Don pulled the Explorer onto a gravel road Murphy stirred awake. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes Murphy looked around to find himself surrounded by radiant green fields and sprinkled groups of trees. Looking ahead the road was straight as an arrow leading to a large ranch house with a golden sun setting behind it. After gazing at the scenery for a moment longer he asks “how long have we been driving for?”

“We have been on the road for about three hours. We took Highway 91 east out of Benton; passed through Danner about forty five miles back and now we are here.”

“This place is quite impressive you must be a man with resources.”

“I do well but you will understand better soon.”

“I can’t wait to find out. It will be nice not being a bored old man anymore.” Don smiled as he swung the Explorer into the parking spot next to the house.

                Following Don through a well hidden side door, they entered the kitchen. Standing in the center was an island with  a sleek marble top, hanging above the island was a pot and pan rack with stainless steel pans glimmering in the light. At the far end of the island was the refrigerator and the stove both shining examples of how meticulously this place is taken care of. All the cabinets were made of solid Cherry wood and sparkled like a fresh coat of polish had been applied just a short while ago. Then Murphy saw the view from the window and it was breath taking to the point that he dropped into a trance like state staring. There were rolling rows of flowers, every kind you could think of. There were patches of just as many trees spread out, with different types of wildlife frolicking in each patch.

                Tapping Murphy on the shoulder Don snaps him out of his trance and says “Don’t worry that happens to everyone. It is quite a collection, I even find myself in awe looking at it still.”

“How do you manage to keep all the various wildlife and plants living in harmony like that?”

“I will tell you all about it later but we have business we need to attend to first. The others will already be headed to our meeting location.”

“Okay why are we here then?”

“Well I need to change, and so do you.”

“I don’t have anything else with me, I wasn’t expecting an overnight trip.”

“That’s fine I’ve already had a suit tailored just for you, follow me.” Murphy dropped into step behind Don wondering how much more he knew about him.

                “In there is a bedroom with a private bathroom, your suit is hanging in the closet along with an assortment of accessories  to choose from.” Don said as he headed for a bedroom further down the hallway.

                The bedroom Murphy was directed to had mahogany furnishing. The dresser, a hutch and the bed frame. The closet was next to the window, the door made from cherry just like the cabinets in the kitchen. The door opposite the closet was the bathroom Don mentioned. To Murphy it looked more like a closet with a shower and toilet, just to get in the shower the toilet had to be stepped over. Deciding to forgo the shower because he wasn’t a kid and didn’t want to climb around he opened the closet.

                Hanging on the inside of the door was a tie rack holding more tie’s than Murphy could count. There were silk and cotton tie’s with every pattern possible to choose from. On a hanger the finest suit he had ever seen hung, begging him to wear it. On either side of the suit hung shirts, in as wide of variety as the ties, and the bottom of the closet held a shoe rack with black, and brown dress shoes. Selecting a baby blue shirt and a silk black tie Murphy dressed quickly, looked in the mirror and headed back to the kitchen.

                Walking back into the kitchen Don found Murphy staring out the kitchen window watching the last rays of sun light drop on the horizon. He joined him as the last ray disappeared for the day. Once it winked out he said “such a beautiful thing, isn’t it?”

                Murphy just nodded his head in agreement.

“As much as I hate the leave we need to get going, the others are most likely there already.”

                Jumping in the Explorer Don fired it up threw it in gear and spit gravel heading back down the driveway, about halfway to the road he finally clicked on the headlights. The night was dark and the stars sparkled like diamonds, Murphy couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen a night like it.

                Turning back onto the highway Don sighed looked to Murphy and said “before we get to the meeting I guess I can give you a little idea of what you gotten into. The reason I drove like such a lunatic back in Benton was because i shot the guy who was there in the face twice and torched the place on my way to the Explorer.”

                Astonished Murphy told Don “Well I guess my boring life is over now. When we get a chance I really need to pick your brain as to how you can murder then find things beautiful though.”

                Don just chuckled and kept driving towards the rest of his circle.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on March 8, 2010
Last Updated on March 8, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin