Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Kevin

Instead of walking right up to the house Lenny led Flora along the hedges in the neighbor’s yard. Moving cautiously they inched along the hedges, Lenny peeking over to see if any lights were on in the house. Seeing none he parted the hedges let Flora step through and followed. Using the faint glow from the street light they made their way to the back door. Checking the handle Lenny found it locked. “Wait here.” Lenny told Flora, as he started for the front door.

                Lenny walked in the front door, shutting it quietly behind him. He scanned the rooms he grandfather was always in and not finding him, he checked the garage for his car. It was not there. Lenny’s heart jumped with joy and his spirits soared as he raced to open the back door and let Flora in.

                Flinging open the door Lenny exclaimed “my grandfather isn’t here, getting you in is no problem right now.”

                Flora hopped up the steps with a goofy grin smeared across her face, and threw her arms around Lenny whispering “Thank you.” Lenny’s face lit up bright red with the tenderness of her touch, and the softness with which she just spoke. After enjoying the moment he broke the embrace waved his hand in a majestic jester and said “let me give you the grand tour.”

                Leading the way Lenny first took her into the kitchen.  “Here is the kitchen, nothing special.” He told her. “But since we are in here would you like a drink?”

“Sure I’ll take a coke if you have one.”

“Wow I didn’t think it was possible, but I like you even more now.” He said as he reached in the fridge and pulled out two cokes.

                Handing her a coke, he took her by the hand and led her into the dining room. A small table with four plaid covered chairs sat in the center of the room. Various pieces of art hung from the walls, and a picture of Lenny’s grandparents hung directly over a desk stuffed in the corner. Room by room he showed her the down stairs, the only room skipped was his grandfathers. Heading upstairs there wasn’t much to explore. Lenny pointed out the bathroom, the extra bedroom and then finally came to his room. He quickly tried to remember if he cleaned his room before he left, or if there were any embarrassing things laying out. Not thinking of any he opened the door.

                Letting Flora go in first he said “And this is my palace of sorts.”

“My grandfather has never came in here so it is a safe zone, at least I think. I can even see the driveway from my window so I know when he gets home.”

                “What time does he normally get home?” Flora asked.

“He hardly ever leaves, it is weird that he is gone.”

“I’m sure you’re not that worried either.” said Flora giggling.

“Not at all, but I am a little curious where he might be. I’ve got an idea lets go look at his email, and browsing history.”

“Sounds like it could be interesting.”

                Lenny said “Let’s go.” Grabbing her hand and running to the stairs.

                Plopping down in the computer chair Lenny hit the power button, as Flora pulled a chair up and snuggled as close to him as possible. As the Windows icon flashed on the screen Lenny looked into Flora’s eyes and asked “Why do you think we trust each other so much after only knowing each other for a few hours?”

“Well I saw a look  of vulnerability, innocence and caring in your eyes and knew right away that I could trust you. What was it for you?”

“I really can’t explain it, you just looked so amazing spinning, and then the way your eyes glimmered, it just said to me trust.”

                Flora sheepishly looked away as her cheeks lit up brighter than a red light. Just then the computer monitor blinked and the desktop replaced the windows icon saving Flora from having Lenny see her glowing cheeks.

                Lenny grabbed the mouse, clicking on the e-mail icon. Going to the most recent items first, they waded through the folder looking for any hints. Reading the subject lines of some of the messages caused both of them to explode laughter. Reading out loud Lenny went down the list; enlarge your penis now, erectile dysfunction we can help, and the list went on with crazy subject lines.  Switching to the saved emails they stumbled onto something more interesting.

                The first email was labeled murder, other disturbing ones followed sex with minors, animal sex, horses and girls, the last one was the least disturbing, how to buy cocaine without getting caught. “I don’t think I can look anymore.” Lenny said.

“I really don’t want to look either but you have a right to know what kind of monster you have to live with.”

                Sighing Lenny clicked on the email labeled how to buy cocaine and not get caught, he figured they could start with the least disturbing. Scanning the email Lenny learned that his grandfather was meeting with someone, in an attempt to score some cocaine. He also learned that the place was on Maple Street, seeing nothing else of use in the email he closed it. “I think this will give me a start to putting a stop to my abuse.”

“What do you mean?”

“My grandfather is buying or attempting to buy drugs, I can confront him with it next time he tries to hit me.”

“That seems as smart as throwing darts blind folded, with someone shaking your arm.”

“Well I am still going to check out the area tomorrow, I really want to know what’s going on.”

“Okay if you insist on being foolish then you will need a woman at your side to keep you from becoming really stupid.”

“Okay since we are doing this, we’d better get some sleep.” Lenny said rubbing his eyes and yawning.

                Flora following suit yawned, raised from the chair and stretched. Lenny slid out of the chair stretched as well and headed for the stairs. Leading Flora to the guest bedroom Lenny told Flora “if you wake up before me come and get me up, I’ll do the same for you.”

                Flora nodded her head and said “Okay goodnight.”

“Oh yeah and don’t worry about my grandfather finding you, he never comes up stairs.” Lenny leaned over kissed her on the forehead and said “Goodnight.” As he flipped the light switch and proceeded to his room. He flung off his shoes, flopped on the bed and thought about how great he day was and what a gift meeting Flora is. Before long he was fast asleep.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on March 9, 2010
Last Updated on March 9, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin