Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Kevin

            Lenny woke up to rays of the morning sun filtering through his window. Slowing climbing out of bed he hadn’t been as excited in a long time, he finally had an adventure. Deciding to let Flora sleep a bit longer Lenny quickly showered, threw on a pair of faded jeans, a yellow tee shirt and old running shoes. After appraising himself in the mirror he headed to the guest room.

            Gently he pushed open the door to the guest room. To his surprise he found Flora sitting by the window with her back to the door. Not wanting to disturb her Lenny crept towards the edge of the bed to take a seat. He noticed that her breathing was slow and even, eyes half open softly looking at the floor. Lenny couldn’t pull his stare away she was by far the most beautiful woman he had ever encountered especially with the radiant sun acting as a backdrop.

            “Lenny are you okay?” Flora asked.

            Shaking his head Lenny responded “I was looking at how beautiful you were in the window I must have zoned out.”

            “You know you’re too much with these compliments, you’d been slow down or you will run out.”

            Lenny’s cheeks flushed and his eyes twinkled, but he felt no need to hide the fact from Flora.

            “So you showered I see. I need one of those too.”

            “The bathroom is open, if you want.”

            Shaking her head Flora said “Such a silly boy I also need a change of clothes, as much as I don’t want to I need to go to my house.”

            “Well aren’t I stupid.” Lenny said “But to make up for it I’ll walk you.”

            “Okay, but you can only take me to the corner. My dad would never let me leave again if he saw I was with a boy.”

            “That’s okay I wouldn’t want to be the cause of any trouble for you.”

            Hand and hand they went to leave the house via the same door which Flora had entered. At the threshold of the door Lenny dropped her hand and raced into the garage. He surveyed the pegboard near the door and spotted the extra set of keys to his grandfather’s car. Walking back in Flora shot him a quizzical look. “I grabbed the spare set of keys to my grandfather’s car.” Lenny responded to the look.

            “What in the world do you need those for?” Flora asked.

            “I really don’t know, I just have a gut feeling I will.”

            Flora accepted the answer; they interlaced hands again and walked out the door. To leave the house they decided to walk through the side yard around front instead of creeping through the bushes like secret agents. Hitting the sidewalk Flora took the lead pulling Lenny along a step behind her. As they walked the sun sparkled through the trees casting beautiful shapes of light on the ground around them.

            Turning onto Main Street Lenny noticed a bit of apprehension creep into Flora, as she squeezed his hand tighter. Casting a concerned look Lenny asked “Is everything okay?”

            “Its fine I always get nervous walking down this road, it is a way to prepare myself for home.”

            “Are you sure you don’t want me to come?”

            “My dad is build like a Mac truck so there’s not much you could do anyway, and I’ll be fine don’t worry.”

                        With concern still sprawled across his face Lenny said “I’ll try not to but I’m not making promises.”

            Throwing a smile his way Flora said “Okay go wait at the store right across the street. I’ll be as quick as I can.” Sighing Lenny released her hand gave a quick hug and hurried across the street.

            Dropping his head Lenny proceeded quickly through the automatic door into the store. He had never been in here before so he intended to browse. Looking at the lower shelves, as he walked he discovered that all the store was, is another grocery store. Semi disappointed he walked the isles shuffling his feet and glancing at the bottom shelves occasional. Nearing the end of the isles Lenny spotted a 4 pack of Red Bull, something in his mind clicked that said I just have to have it, rifling through his pockets, he searched for money. Finally out of his back pocket he produced a twenty dollar bill. He scooped up the Red Bull, went and paid then decided to wait outside for Flora the rest of the time.

            After sitting on the curb for a few minutes Lenny looked up to see Flora bouncing across the street. Her curls were pulled back in a tight pony tail behind her head, she had put and a yellow tank top, a pair of jeans and tennis shoes. On her back she carried a sack that bounced with her step.

            When she was close enough Lenny blurted out “You look as beautiful as a May flower and smell delightful too.”

            Flora smiled at the compliment and said “Okay Romeo let’s go check out Maple street.”

            They left the store and headed back to Pine Street. They navigated their way to Maple Street electing not to hold hands, since traffic had picked up, and neither of them wanted extra attention. At the end of Maple Street stood a saw horse with a sign proclaiming it belonged to the fire department and that the road was closed. Staying on the sidewalk they peered down Maple trying to catch a glimpse of what was happening. The only thing they could see was three fire trucks, with a couple firemen detaching hoses.

            As soon as they finished with the hoses one of the firemen came over and gathered the sign that obstructed the road, and took it to the closest truck. Taking that as a sign Lenny and Flora crossed the road and headed down on the opposite side of the trucks. Getting closer to the trucks they tried to peek and see what damage had been done, but the trucks were positioned to block a view.

            “Let’s keep walking I know the house number we need.” Lenny said

            “Okay what’s the number so we can both look for it?”

            “Twenty seven.” Lenny told her as he started looking at the numbers.

            Together they marched down the sidewalk looking at house numbers. Flora scanned the houses on the right while Lenny took those on the left. They hadn’t made it much past the fire truck’s when it hit Lenny that the numbers were going up and they were already in the thirties. Looking back towards the trucks Lenny reasoned the house they’re looking for is hidden.  He told Flora “We already passed the house, lets walk down to the corner to give the firemen time to clear out the we can get a look.” Flora nodded in agreement as they continued to the corner.

            At the corner they stopped and glanced around. Looking down the street a black car caught Lenny’s attention. “I think that’s my grandfather’s car down there.” He told Flora.

            She looked in the direction he referred to, and said “Let’s check it out.”

            As the approached the car Lenny pulled the keys from his pocket and hit the unlock button. The car chirped and flashed its lights in agreement. Opening the passenger door Lenny verified what he already knew by checking the insurance cards for his grandfather’s name. Peering around he was at a loss. He knew his grandfather would never abandon his car, it is the only love left in his life. Placing his Red Bull on the seat, he closed the door engaged the locks and told Flora “I think something is wrong my grandfather would never just leave his car.”

            “The fire department should be gone so we can get a peak at the house and go from there.”

            Lenny nodded his approval as they headed back towards Maple Street. As they rounded the corner the last fire truck was pulling away. They quickly crossed the street and headed back towards the house that were blocked from view. Scanning house numbers they found number twenty nine across the street was twenty eight.

            Seeing the pile of rubble smoke still rolling off it Lenny knew this had to be twenty seven Maple. Scorched lumber lay in piles were the house collapsed. Melted furniture held little pieces of the roof suspended above the rest of debris. Looking around they couldn’t find a single item that wasn’t kissed by flames and charred. Neither of them dared to venture closer to the rubble than the sidewalk, even standing there the heat licked at their faces.

            “I have no idea what to make of this. I would almost be happy if my grandfather burned in there, but I am terrified of foster care and the social services system.”

            Flora took him into her arms and held him tight. “We will figure this out together.” She promised.

            “I guess we should get out of here, before someone see’s us and wonders what we are doing. I think we should get my grandfather’s car out of here as too. Have you ever driven?”

            A surprised look crossed Flora’s face as she shook her and said “No and doubt you have either.”

            “Your right I haven’t, but I think I can manage to get it back to the house.”

            “You’re unbelievable, but if you feel the need I’m with you all the way.”

            Leaving the burnt house behind they returned to the car. Lenny tried to appear confident as he approached using the remote to unlock it. He opened the door for Flora, walked around and got into the driver’s seat. He tested the reach for the petals and adjusted the seat accordingly. Sliding the key into the ignition his hand was trembling, never before had he ventured this far outside the law. Turning the key the car roared to life and Lenny’s hands trembled even harder, Flora set a reassuring hand on his knee. Sliding the car into gear he tapped the accelerator and the car lurched forward, Lenny slammed the brake instantaneously. Trying again he turned the wheel to the left and tapped the petal, he crawled onto the road. Making their way to the stop sign Lenny applied the brakes more gently. Turning his blinker on to signal a right turn he eased onto Maple Street. Growing a little more confident he mover quicker. At the stop sign he again signaled this time to the left, after making the turn he pushed the car to the speed limit and told Flora “We are going to make it.”

            “Okay.” Flora struggled to say fear clogging her throat.

            Lenny pulled into the driveway at his grandfather’s house and shifted into park, only then did Flora remove her nails from the seat cushion. Looking her direction Lenny said “See I knew we’d make it.”

            “Let’s not making driving a habit.” She said as they got out of the car.

            Lenny just shook his head as they headed for the house. “Say can you cook?” he asked.

            “Some things.” She responded with a questioning voice.

            “Well I’m quite hungry and can’t cook to save my life, do you think you could umm whip something up for us?”

            Shaking her head Flora said “Boys.” As Lenny unlocked the door and they headed to the kitchen.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin