Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Kevin

            As Flora was finishing up the simple lunch of hot dogs, Lenny suggested they eat in the living room so they could watch the news. Flora handed Lenny a plate, sent him to the living room and told him she’d be there in a minute. She quickly washed the dishes grabbed a plate and joined him.

            Sitting on the couch him turned to the local news station. The sports anchor was on talking about how dismal the local high school teams have been playing. After belittling the local coaches the television flashed back to the main anchor.

            “We have just received breaking news, the fire that broke out sometime yesterday on Maple Street has claimed the life of one. The person was unidentifiable due the severity of the burns.”

            Lenny looked to Flora sullen “I wonder if that is my grandfather.”

            “Do you really care that much?” she asked

            “Yes I don’t want to be tossed into foster care and feel even less unwanted, and now I have you here too.”

            Flora took his hand and said “There has to be a way to find out if it was your grandfather.”

            Lenny squeezed her hand and started thinking of a way to find out. He thought of taking a picture of his grandfather to the neighbors, but there wasn’t a recent one. He thought of going to the police but he already moved evidence. Then it hit him like a clap of thunder, his grandfather’s cell phone. Flora saw his eyes light up and asked “What is it?”

            “I just figured out a way to determine if it was my grandfather.”

            “How?”

            “Cell phones have a GPS chip in them so that emergency services can find you when you call. It can be switched on so that more than just those services can find your location though. All I have to do is get into his online phone account turn it on and I should know where he is. His phone is always on so if he died in the fire then there shouldn’t be a signal.”

            Excitedly Lenny raced to the computer shoving the chair out of the way he rapidly brought up a web page. Typing some commands he pulled up a client list from the phone company. He reduced the list to the last name Murphy then located his grandfather. Clicking a link that said phone options he activated the GPS in his grandfather’s phone. Rapidly typing more commands he pulled up a map. On it there was a red dotting located in Lukin.

            Flora’s mouth was hung open watching Lenny work the keyboard. She had never seen someone type so quickly or do anything that he did for that matter. She was lost the minute a list of names popped onto the screen. She could almost see Lenny as a wizard weaving a spell.

            “I’ve got him.” Lenny proclaimed.

            “Where is he?” Flora asked

            Lenny stepped aside and let her see the map. She saw the red dot and the name of the city on the map. “What could he be doing there?” she asked.

            “No idea but I intend to find out. I think it might be fishy he would never leave his car.”

            “How do you plan to get there?”

            “I can drive now; remember I got us back here.”

            “You will not drive mister, we can take a bus.”

            Sighing Lenny nodded his head in defeat. “I’m going to check the old man’s room for money I don’t have much.”

            Flora produced a wad of cash from the pocket of her jeans and flashed it at Lenny. His jaw dropped as he attempted to count what was there. Sensing he was trying to count it she said “There is three hundred here.”

            “I’m still going to check his room; it never hurts to have more.”

            Opening the door to his grandfather’s room his senses were assaulted by awful smells. Must, mildew, urine and feces were the most predominate. The room was in complete disarray clothes everywhere, dirty underwear hanging from the bedpost. There were even a couple used condoms on the floor. Lenny plugged his nose, headed to the dresser and did a quick scan. He spotted some money tucked under a can. Grabbing the cash he retreated from the room faster than a rabbit runs from a wolf.

            Back in the safety of the living room he counted his plunder, it totaled four hundred dollars. “We have seven hundred between us now, that should be enough for now, do you agree.” Flora nodded. “I’m going to pack a bag; do you have everything you need?”

            Again Flora nodded “Don’t forget a tooth brush.” She said as Lenny was bounding up the stairs.

            He grabbed three shirts, two pair of jeans, some clean underwear and socks. He tossed them all in his bag then heeding Flora’s warning he grabbed his toothbrush and some deodorant from the bathroom. Heading back down stairs with his bag slung over his shoulder he said “I’m ready.”

            Flora shouldered her bag as he hit the bottom of the stairs and they left Lenny locking the door behind them. The walk to the bus station was a quick one. Checking the departures the next bus to Lukin didn’t leave for another three hours. “We will have a nice little wait.” Lenny said. 

            “Why not buy the tickets now.”

            Following orders like a good soldier would Lenny strolled up to the ticket counter and procured two tickets to Lukin. Walking back to where Flora was waiting he handed her a ticket and settled in for the wait.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Three interesting chapters. The story is getting stronger by the chapter. Taking a man's money may create problem later. All the characters are strong and with purpose. A very good read. I will read on.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin