Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Kevin

Lenny scanned the many shop signs that crowded the busy street looking for the perfect place. There were jewelry shops, a pawn shop, a hardware store and various department stores. Then he saw what he was looking for, a used goods store. The window advertised like new items at deep discount prices. There was a desktop computer sitting on a desk with a wheeled chair in the window, they held more dust that a crypt.

            Lenny and Flora walked in, bells on the door chiming loudly. There were shelves everywhere covered in random junk. Some held large bins that had even more junk heaped in them. From the ceiling hung signs that directed people to what was on each shelf.

            Lenny located a sign for hats and went over to it. He reached up and pulled down a bin, it contained an assortment of hats. Some of them supported various sports teams, others were supports causes, and some had comical quotes on them. He found two rather large hats with bills to match set them aside and replaced the bin. Next he found a bin with sunglasses in it, rummaging through it until he found two pair that weren’t broken. After replacing the bin he went and paid for the items.

            Before leaving the store he donned a hat and sunglasses and motioned for Flora to do the same.

            “So this is your plan?” Flora asked.

            “I admit it may be a weak one but at a glance my grandfather won’t recognize me.”

            “You do look ridiculous.” Flora said giving him a playful push.

            “Okay let’s go.” Lenny said adjusting his hat.

            Back on the street Lenny recalled the address from his memory had Flora ask directions. Equipped with the directions they headed off in search of his grandfather’s haunt. Soon enough they found the spot.

            The first thing Lenny noticed was the five luxury cars sitting in the parking lot one matching his grandfather’s Mercedes. Then he turned to appraise the building. It was a two story hotel with the doors all the doors facing the outside, the office was located at the front of the building with glass windows that were in desperate need of a washing. A sign hung from a pole half the letters hanging on by a cord that illuminated them.

            “This is odd.” Lenny proclaimed.

            “What is?”

            “See the five new cars; they are expensive so why would the owners stay in a dump like this?”

            “Many they have to live cheaply to afford the cars.” Flora offered.

            “I doubt that’s the case. Do me a favor and go into the office and get a pen and paper please.”

            Flora returned quickly with a pen and a piece of paper. Lenny took it from her and started to scribble down the license plate numbers from the cars that were out of place.

            “What are you doing?”

            “This needs investigation, so I am going to find out who these vehicles belong too.”

            Flora shook her head while signaling for Lenny to hurry up with a roll of her eyes. He finished writing and placed the pen and paper in his pocket.

            “This will have to wait until tomorrow, but I think we should get a room. I don’t think we are going home tonight.”

            Flora taken aback by this proposal thought about all the consequences of not being at home for another night. The things running through her head gave her chilling and she involuntarily shivered. Sensing something was wrong Lenny took her hand and asked “Is everything okay?”

            “I’m just worried about my father with me not being home for two nights in a row.”

            “I understand if you want we can go back to the bus station, and I’ll stay here to figure things out.”

            “No I’ll just call him and tell him I’m staying at a friend’s house.”

            Scanning the room numbers Lenny found the one he wanted, located on the second floor directly across from where the cars were parked. He quickly explained to Flora he plan and went in to secure the room. The attendant looked at him a bit queerly but offered the room key with no questions once the cash was produced. Lenny took the key and quickly disappeared out the door least the attendant change his mind.

            Lenny and Flora raced up the stairs running until they hit their door. As soon as Lenny had the door open, the foul smell of sweat, stale cigarettes, and stale beer wafted out at them causing a wave of nausea to roll over them. the room had a queen size bed standing in the center with a old box TV centered on a flimsy looking standing at the foot. In one corner stand a rounded wooden table with two chairs. A solid blue curtain hung loosely from a rod that bowed in the middle.

            They covered their mouths and entered the room, the smell still repulsive. Lenny quickly opened the window overlooking the parking lot and searched for others. There were none. Next he grabbed one of the chairs and positioned it in front of the window, he drew the curtain aside a sliver so he could watch the parking lot without being seen.

            Closing the door Flora said “You have watched to many movies.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “The way you are just sitting there watching.” She replied.

            Flora started inspecting the bed trying to determine if the blankets were clean enough to lie on. Satisfied they were she sat on the bed, and clicked on the TV. She scrolled through channels while Lenny watched the parking lot not sure what he was really looking for.

            As the time slowly crept by neither of them spoke, just being in each other’s presence was comforting. Lenny eventually glanced back, and found Flora fast asleep. He turned back to the parking lot half listening to the TV and determined not to fall asleep. 



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin