Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Kevin

            Murphy roused from bed, reeking of sweat from last night’s endeavors. He showered then dressed to the t in one of his new suits, a silk tie and shiny black shoes. He carefully removed the rest of his clothes from the cubby and hung them in the car, making sure nothing would get wrinkled. Next he collected all his materials that no one should find and stashed them in the truck of the car. He did one last sweep of the room verifying nothing was being left behind. Satisfied he locked the door and went to the office to check out.

            Returning to his car he decided he would find his own hotel for the remainder of the time he was here. He is always reachable by his cell anyway, and this would be a f**k you to Dominick. He drove around looking for hotel’s and finding nothing but similar run down places in this part of the city. He eventually found the interstate and hopped on it hoping it would lead to a better section of the city where quality could be had. After only five minutes of driving the exit for downtown appeared, he took it.

            At the exit a sign advertised a place called Sunshine Inn, and he decided to look into it. the place was easy to find, signs led he the whole way.

            Pulling up a large Victorian home loomed, with little cottages to the right of it. the cottages were nondescript, all white with blue shutters, and little windmills occupying the roofs. The house it’s self hosted impressive windows facing the road stacked three high. The shutters for each floor cast friendly colors that blended well with the blue plastic siding. On either side of the steps, stood statues of tiger’s, mouths frozen in a vicious roar. French doors opened to a lobby with plush carpet and overstuffed furniture. A counter stood against the far wall with a marble top, keys hanging on a peg board behind it, and rows of open cubbies built into the wall were to the right of it.

            Murphy approached the counter, appraising the woman as he walked. She appeared to be in her mid thirty’s, with short black hair and almond shaped brown eyes. She wore a v neck shirt that clung to her impressive bosom and smiled often while speaking on the phone.

            Murphy politely waited while she concluded her call. From one side of the conversation he gathered that the person on the other end of the line was making a reservation, and wanted every perk the sunshine inn had too offer.

            Hanging up the phone she looked up “Sorry to keep you waiting sir, how may I help you?”

            “I was wondering if you have any of your cottages available.”

            “You are in luck sir we just had a cancellation, normally the things are booked months in advance, but I can put you in it.”

            “That’s great.” He said surrendering his credit card and fake driver’s license to match.

            Waiting for the credit card to process, she turns and retrieves the only key hanging in its row. Then she reaches under the counter and produces a brochure with a picture on the inn on the cover. The card machine beeps its approval and she hands over the key, card, and brochure.

            “The brochure is so you can see all the services we offer, your cottage is at the very back is by far the most secluded. If you have any questions or need anything you can just dial zero on your phone.”

            Murphy folded the brochure, returned his card to his wallet and pocketed the key. He thanked the woman and headed back to his car.

            He followed the gravel driveway to the far corner behind the inn and found the cottage. It was secluded just like the woman at the desk said it’d be. Only a portion of the cottage was visible from the driveway. The rest was hidden in a cove of deep thick pine trees, branches intertwined, and cones littered the ground under them.

            Murphy parked in the driveway and looked at the cottage. From the outside it didn’t look like anything special, and was identical in appearance to the rest of the cottages spread across the lot. He walked up to the door and tried the key in the lock; a sight click was heard as the lock disengaged. The door swung inward exposing a living area.

            Highly polished hardwood floors reflected the sun light flowing through the door. A plush leather couch and a matching chair were arranged in front of a stone fire place set in the wall. A large flat screen TV hung above the mantel. A pile of logs was neatly stacked on one side of the fire place, on the other a rack held all the tools for tending to the fire place.

            A door off to the right led to the master bedroom. A king size pillow top bed filled the middle of the room. A large French window looked into the pines that surrounded the cottage. A Persian carpet covered the floor. The dresser and night stand were made of mahogany, and shined freshly polished. This room also offered a flat screen TV mounted on the wall.

            Attached to the bedroom is the master bathroom. On the far side sits a Jacuzzi with an impressive wall of windows behind it. Skylights are suspended on a rail system about it and can be positioned to offer a variety of angles. Next to the lights is a bank of miniature TV’s with wires running to a control station in a water proof box sitting next to the door. A small shower stall in tucked away in the corner opposite the Jacuzzi. The toilet and sink are bright white porcelain with shiny stainless steel handles.

            To round out the cottage a little kitchenette was snuggled in the back of the cottage. There is a two burner stove, sitting next to a stainless steel refrigerator. A sink is stuffed under a small window with blue curtains hung open.

            After he finished he tour Murphy returned to his car and grabbed his belongings. He went back into the cottage and placed the clothes neatly on the couch. Returning to the car he discreetly removed the materials he placed in there. Back in the cottage he found a little cubby to tuck the materials away in. next he took he clothes and organized them in the closet. After he was satisfied he threw himself on the couch and clicked on the TV.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin