Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Kevin

            A bell chimed in the distance and echoed around the city square indicating it was nine oh clock. As if set on a timer the square came to life. Shop doors started opening, people started crowding into the streets. The smells of fresh baked bread and flowers floated through the square, as intoxicating as a beautiful woman’s perfume.

            Lenny and Flora decided to explore the nocks and crannies of the cities heart. They walked the sidewalks peeking in shops, displaying all different wares. There was a computer shop that really grabbed Lenny’s attention and a second hand shop tucked at the back of an alley that attracted Flora.

            They went to the computer shop first; Lenny was determined to see if he could acquire the laptop that was on his list. He didn’t waste time browsing the computers he couldn’t afford but dreamed of. He marched right to the service counter and laid out what he was looking for. The man at the counter was impressed with Lenny’s computer knowledge, but didn’t know of any computers that fit his needs. He said he would ask the manager and disappeared behind through a open door. Moments later a older gentleman appeared behind the desk and asked Lenny the specific’s. he once again spelled out what he was looking for, the man gave him a questioning look.

            “I really have nothing that I can put in that price range.” The man told Lenny. “But I may be able to work something out for you.”

            The man ran Lenny through a series of different computer questions. Lenny found the questions juvenile and answered them with ease. He could tell the man was impressed from the glow in his eyes and the slight posture change he demonstrated. The man was quiet for a minute, he was clear from his expression he was in thought.

            “I have an idea that can help both of us.” He finally said.

            Lenny looked at him a hint of excitement in his eyes “What is it?”

            “How would you feel about being a consultant to my little company?”

            “You mean like working for you?”

            “Well you are to young to hire officially so it would be under the table, basically I’ll call you if we run into a problem the tech’s here can’t figure out.”

            Lenny looked to Flora for an opinion; her face remained straight and gave he no indication of how she felt about the offer. Finally Lenny said “Okay I don’t see any harm in it.”

            The man smiled and said “Now for your problem, you may pick any computer in the shop and your consultation will be the payments.”

            Lenny’s eyes lit up like a firework show lights the night sky. He started racing around the store reading all the spec sheets posted near the laptops. After his third trip around the shop he finally settled on one. It was the top of line and by far the best the shop had to offer. The man took the one he liked put it in a box and pulled a backpack style carrying case from behind the counter. “I’m throwing in the case for you just to make carrying it easier, and since you’re going to be working for me I should introduce myself. I’m Mike.” He said extending his hand.

            Lenny took his hand “Nice to meet you Mike, I’m Lenny and this is my girlfriend Flora.” Flora’s cheeks turned rosy when Lenny referred to her as his girlfriend. Lenny and Mike chatted a couple more minutes, mostly about computers, then Lenny remembered the shop Flora wanted to go to. He scribbled down his phone number so Mike could get in touch and him and Flora left.

            Once outside Flora said “Thanks for letting me know I was your girlfriend.”

            Lenny looked away shyly “Sorry it just seemed the proper way to introduce you. And I really want you as my girlfriend.”

            “Well I guess I can accept you as a boyfriend.” Flora said sticking her tongue out playfully.

            The next stop was not very exciting for Lenny but Flora was thrilled. She loved to bargain hunt, and the shop was a mountain full of them. She browsed the isles leaving no item untouched, she wished she had a place to decorate many things were fabulous in her eyes. Seeing the boredom growing in Lenny’s eyes she finally started in on the clothes. She selected a few tank tops, and some tee shirts, and then found a few pairs of shorts and a couple pair of jeans. Lenny grabbed random tee shirts and picked pants by his size not caring at all what they looked like. They also bought two backpacks. As Flora cashed out Lenny packed the clothes into their respective packs.

            Leaving the thrift shop Flora declared “Before anything food is in order I’m famished.”

Lenny whole heartedly agreed. The couple found a little restaurant nestled in the far corner of the square. The décor was simple, plain tables with brown upholstery, and beaten up booths lining the walls. The grill, and deep fryers were tucked away behind a scared counter, the original color of the top hidden behind years or stains and cigarette burns.

            A robust waitress slowly wandered over to their table and took orders. Lenny ordered hot chocolate and a ham, cheese and tomato omelet. Flora elected to have coffee a cinnamon bagel with cream cheese and some yogurt.

            As the waitress walked away Lenny took out his new laptop. He booted it up and couldn’t contain a grin, happy with the quickness of it. he quickly configured some settings to his liking then attempted to find a wireless network. None were to be found, so he hammered away at keys, searching for hidden ones he knew existed. Soon enough he was logged into one of the local internet providers networks. Removing the paper with license plate numbers on it, he accessed the DVM website. He entered the numbers and only one name popped up on his screen. According to the DVM records all five cars were registered to Goodies INC. he relayed the information he found to Flora.

            “Well maybe the company is having some sort of conference.”

            “I don’t think so I think it is more sinister.” He replied.

            He located the Goodies INC website. According to it they specialize in building custom toys. The site totted pictures of boats, four wheelers, and motorcycles they have built. Lenny set the keyboard of fire again with his fingers and within a blink of a eye was in the administrative area of the site.  Browsing he found nothing that indicated this company had done any business, and he strongly suspected that the website was just a cover.  Next he checked his grandfather’s location again; he was a bit surprised to find him only a few blocks away. Lenny wrote down the new address. Spotting the waitress bringing their food he put the computer away.

            After she put the food down Lenny told Flora “My grandfather is only a few blocks away, after we finish I’d like to go check it out.”

            Taking a bite of her food Flora said “Okay.”

            They finished their food in silence lost in their own thoughts. Lenny called for the check, paid and left the waitress a sizeable tip.

            Lenny led the way covering ground quickly to get to the address his grandfather is at. When they found the address, the couple was shocked to find another hotel. this one far more classy than the other dump though. Lenny decided he wasn’t going to waste time, he marched right to the front desk and inquired if anyone by his grandfather’s name was staying there. He was politely informed that information would not be released.

            Coming back out Lenny told Flora “They won’t release guest information so lets walk around and look for the car.”

            “You are a determined boy, but I’m with you.”

            Lenny saw the driveway that headed towards the cottages, and the parking lot in the opposite direction. He decided to canvas the driveway first since it would take longer. The couple walked the driveway trying to appear sure of themselves. As they passed cottages they checked the driveway’s looking for a car similar to the one from the hotel. nearing the end of the driveway discouragement was setting in when Lenny a black Mercedes. He walked past the driveway attempting to look inconspicuous. Upon further examination he found the car to be the same one.

            He motioned for Flora to move up to the pine trees, he jogged to where she was and told her “Stay here I’m going to try to see in a window.”

            She nestled deeper into the pines and pulled Lenny in for a kiss on the cheek. His face glowing he slipped under the branches and looked for a route to the cottage. There were no windows facing the direction he was coming from so he sprinted to the cottage and plastered himself against the wall. He slowly worked he way around the cottage, peeking at each corner to make sure it was clear before he proceeded. Each window he glanced in showed rooms void of people or activities and he started to wonder if his grandfather left his phone and car here. Feeling defeated he threw caution to the wind and strode up to the last window. He saw the TV on and spotted a figure on the couch. He jerked back out of view hoping no one was looking that direction. He slowly looked back into the window and focused on the figure. After a few seconds of inspecting he was sure it was his grandfather. Lenny crouched low and shadowed the house. At the corner he first started he sprinted back into the pines where Flora was waiting for him.

            Gasping for breath Lenny said “He’s here, I think he is sleeping.”

            “Good now can we get out of here?”

            “Let me catch my breath.” Lenny said dropping to the ground.

            Flora sighed and plopped down next to him.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin