Churchin on a Thursday Mourn

Churchin on a Thursday Mourn

A Story by riskrapper
"

The Great Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day

"


Few came to the feast that morning, save the rector and the four sinners already planted in the pews.

I arrived late to the service.

The rector was in the midst of the Word.

“And I tell you, no Lilly of the Field was clothed like one of these.”

A most appropriate reading, I thought, giving meaning to this thankful day.

Where were the other souls who needed this lesson?

Had sin abated?

Had Satan suffered his final defeat?

Or have the throngs been brought home to Jesus, raptured on this very day?

I discounted the last, considering who was still left in the pews, save myself.

I think it more likely the absent are home with the bird, mincing onions, jelling cranberries and stuffing themselves with football and drumsticks.

The Gospel completed, the rector turned the table on the gathered faithful.

“I would like everyone to share,” she began, “speak out your thankfulness. Make it real; let your voice ring out in this sanctuary so the words can be filled with power. We’ll start here,” pointing to Louise in the front pew.

We all squirmed in our seats. We’re Episcopalians not Pentecostals. My mind raced into blankness. Speak to God Mac. Tell him what you’re thankful for. I wondered.

I was glad to be in a rear pew.

It was left to Louise to be the vanguard for this small band of Christian soldiers. And a mighty soldier she is. Louise’s plump white face and silver hair is softy angelic. As head of the Alter Guild, Louise is a loving and humble servant at Christ’s table.

“I am thankful for the body and blood of Christ,” Louise offered.

“Amen.” we answered.

Lorraine, the Church Treasurer for thirty years spoke next. “I am thankful for an abundant life as The Good Shepherd has promised.

“Oh yes, Amen.”

Alice, whose husband was sent to his reward only just last week, (leaving from this very room), broke into tears. “I’m thankful for St. Alban’s and the love it has shown me and Rodney through the years.”

“May light perpetual shine upon him and give him rest in the heavenly kingdom. Amen.”

Janet was next, “my family, my kids, their kids, and all grandchildren.

“Oh yes the children. Bless the children, Amen.”

It was my turn. My mind raced. Fitful flashes lit my skull. What should I say to God in his house?

“Deliverance and redemption”, I howled.

“Yes, you have two Amen's Brother Jim.”

“Okay, lets go round again” the rector asked.

This time the proclamations were closer to home.

Louise was thankful for her cat and husband. In that order.

Lorraine a two pack a day smoker, hoarsely gave thanks for her health.

Alice, still sobbing said nothing. She was thankful for solace.

Janet, our best dressed parishioner, gave thanks for her new septic tank.

My turn again. “I’m thankful for Mahalia Jackson”

“Amen. Brother Jim, Amen", my sisters in Christ answered with a chuckle.

We passed the Lord’s Peace amongst us. We embraced, kissed and held each others hands. We circled Alice, and kissed her most.

Called to the Lord’s Supper, we served each other the bread of life and drank from the cup of salvation.

“Go in Peace to love and serve the Lord.”

Alleluia we shouted.

I left the sanctuary, filled again.

Glad I was called to this Thanksgiving table.

Selah 


Scripture Reading: Matthew 6:28, Consider the lilies of the field

Mahalia Jackson:  Precious Lord, Take My Hand

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood: In the Presence of the Lord


Oakland
11/25/99
jbm

© 2012 riskrapper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this gentle story. Of course being English we don't have thanksgiving but if we did I can think of a few things I might be encouraged to shout out. Its the little things that count, God is in the detail after all! This made me smile, I could certainly relate to the guilty neglect of my spiritual needs and the awkwardness of being the first to speak. Priceless

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

373 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 4, 2012
Last Updated on June 4, 2012
Tags: Eucharist, Thanksgiving, church