Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson
"

Once a prisoner for over 500 years, the dragon Rygerri now soars the skies seeking vengence and the power to take the throne of In'iess

"

 

Prologue


 

Darkness, how he hated it, but now it was his ally as he soared the night sky westward above what the humans call the Sea of Wind. Trapped for so long, centuries have passed since he last spread his wings over this same sea. Trapped in a swirling gray realm, suspended so time would not fly by in a mere blink of an eye, no he watched and waited as the seasons slowly slid by him in his dark prison plane. Rygerri knew this day would come, though he hoped it would be under different circumstances.

His god banished him, and rightfully so, but unlike the others sent away for their betrayal, Eteliwyth gave him and his followers no chance at redemption. Somewhere in his soul, the ancient beast hoped that his god would finally see the error of his decision and free them, but that time had not come. No, a mortal slew his great god, the same mortal that inadvertently freed Rygerri, and left a void in the plane of shadow.

A space that needed filled, and Rygerri knew that he could take that step, ascend much like his god Eteliwyth did eons ago. First, he needed to clean up his old world, take control by becoming the Great King, and gather strength and worshipers. To succeed, he needed his old army, his battle companions. To free them, Rygerri had to acquire a book, an ancient tome that once belonged to Eteliwyth.

Looking down, he spied two ships sailing eastward to the city he had just left a few days ago. He drew in a breath taking everything in; he sensed the magic of the old world. It led him here, as a magnet would iron. Locking his gaze on the lead vessel, his vision focused to where he could see the larger ship clearly. That was when he sensed it; a scent that has come across is nostrils before.

Elfish blood, he thought, and not just elfish, but noble elfish blood. In another time, he has smelled and tasted it before. There was a Baelathkai below, not just one, but two. Oh, how he despised the Baelathkai bloodline. The self-righteous elfish kings and queens, it seems the bloodline has not fizzled away over the centuries, as he would hope. From what he gathered in his fact finding mission the last few days, there were no elves in power, but he was sure that the Baelathakai's were somehow behind the scenes manipulating current events to have a beneficial outcome for them.

He wished he had taken the time to evaluate the scene after the battle, to determine who was lurking in the corners. Nevertheless, the presence of the younger dragon, which smelled as a descendant of the former Great King, but he thought they were all removed. Despite that, he would need to deal with her in some way. Most importantly, he fled because of the man named Shadowgrass. Something about his scent was familiar, but Rygerri did not have time to place it. Then there was the sword.

He knew that blade very well, some may think he fears it and rightly so. He needed a plan to handle Shadowgrass one way or the other.

Nearing the vessel, he started his spiral circle down, his intention was to shape change right before landing on the aft deck. He did not wish to sink the vessel, well not right away anyway, not until he retrieved the tome.


 


 



© 2009 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think the scene is set well, I am interested in this, shall read more when I can lol :) Awesome!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a nice start. Send me a request when you have more. Been awhile since I have read your work.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 23, 2009


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing