Confrontation

Confrontation

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson

The June morning was bright and comfortably warm, unlike the weeks preceding Clinox's attack.  Norrelle stretched out her legs while taking in a deep breath of the clean air.  Sitting on her veranda, she watched Erinwolfe spar with one of her personal house guards, using the spear that he acquired at the fight with Clinox.  He told her of the curse placed on him by Ayrial's brother, she vowed to him that she would find a way to remove it, but in the time being he was learning a new weapon.

She took another deep breath as she watched his upper body muscles flex with every move he made.  He was a gorgeous human male, but that was the issue�"human.  She could do everything a human female could do while in this form, and enjoy it, but she could not become pregnant.  Another of her kind could only fulfill that task.  That would be unlikely, since any she would choose were dead, the rest�"save one�"were imprisoned.  The one, Rygerri, she would rather die before she ever mated that traitor.

Shaking her head to wipe the thoughts of tossing the shirtless Erinwolfe to the ground, she turned her attention to the papers at the table.  Perusing through the loan doucments she sipped her morning tea.  The loan was not for her, but from her to Laurel Brevor.  It seems that 'Patch', which was her nickname since she wore a black leather patch over her missing eye, wanted to buy a small home with a store front to sell herbs and potions.

Norrelle admired the woman's strength, standing up to Colin, leaving him, returning to Blade, sort of, and starting her own life.  All this despite the fact the Ayrial still held her child captive, an issue that Norrelle was going to bring up with the witch and demand the youngster's return.  Sometimes Ayrial forgot exactly who was working for whom!  Another point Norrelle needed to stress, especially now since Rygerri was free and was vying for the same throne that belonged to her.

Norrelle looked up from the papers as Laurel exited the manor, walking up to her.  She wore new clothing, a gift from Norrelle herself, standing proud, as she should.  Laurel smiled as she pulled up a chair and sat across from her, then reaching for the teapot.  Norrelle was happy that she felt comfortable here, and was glad that Laurel had accepted her offer to stay until she could find the place she wanted.

"Sleep well," Norrelle said idly.

"Surprisingly, yes," Patch answered.  Pouring herself a cup of tea, Laurel said, "Have you spoken with Ayrial yet?"

"No," Norrelle replied, and that was the truth.  The witch has been in hiding since the battle, no doubt angered and upset.  Patch told her about the poisoned bolt that she shot Ayrial with.  Honestly, Norrelle nearly chuckled.  Wizards and priests have tried and died attempting to bring down that witch and Laurel had done so with one simple crossbow bolt.  Albeit poisoned with a clever concoction of her design, but simple still.

Ayrial would no doubt want revenge, Laurel also informed her about Stalker, but Norrelle could not help to think that the witch brought most of this on herself.  What was she thinking kidnapping a woman's son to demand obedience?  Laurel captured Stalker merely to question him and to let Ayrial know that Laurel too could strike her anywhere.  But the plan went wrong, it was the attack by Clinox that got Stalker killed, for Laurel it was an unfortunate accident.

“I hope she doesn't do anything to hurt my son,” Laurel said, looking down at the table sadly.

“I will not let that happen Laurel, trust me,” Norrelle said.  Reaching for the papers in front of her she said, “On a more positive note, I had these drafted for you.”

“What are these,” Laurel said lifting the documents.

“It's a loan,” Norrelle informed her.  “Standard clauses, nothing harsh.  I will put in the amount when you find a place.”

Laurel looked through the papers, and then lifted her head to face her.  “I don't know what to say,” she paused, “I…”

“Just sign, the Friedman's will take care of the rest, should I not be here when you find a suitable place.”

Fighting tears Laurel set the papers in front of her, “Thanks, I am grateful for all you have done for me.  However, I don't know why?  Who am I to you after all, you being…”

“Jayce is fond of you, he likes you, normally that would be enough.  You came to my aid, albeit you were unaware it was me, you still took action, you overcame your fear.  Your strike on Ayrial changed the outcome; she may have made things worse.  What kind of leader would I be if I did not repay my debts?”

Patch was about to respond when everyone in the side yard stopped as a large shadow flew over head.  Norrelle's sense quickly told her that Rygerri was back.  Standing quickly she moved to the steps that lead her into the yard.  Looking up she watched him turn over the city, causally not caring if he alerted guards.  He swung gracefully downward, gliding low over the city.  She walked slowly out into the yard as he advanced toward her manor, dropping lower.

Erinwolfe moved to her side, she waved him off; she wanted room to change should it come to that.  He acknowledged and stopped, turning to face the dragon that he confronted only days ago.  She kicked her sandals off and began loosening her dress, preparing herself.  She stood tall, holding her arms down, clenching her fist and waiting.

She heard Patch call for Jason and Aynnolyn�"known to most as Mama Friedman, then she ran next to Erinwolfe, weaponless, but the strong woman showed no fear.  Norrelle now admired her more; she was truly one courageous lady.

Norrelle turned back as the yard shook when Rygerri landed.  He let out a roar as he transformed into a dressed dark skinned male.  Clothing, nice touch, Norrelle decided she needed to learn that trick.  Transforming back to human naked could be embarrassing depending on who was around.  His black wings stretched out from his back as he smiled at her.

"We meet again young kindred," he spoke.

Norrelle stepped forward, while eying Erinwolfe and Laurel.  She did not want them to try anything foolish, like rush the b*****d.  "What are you doing here?" she questioned.

"Finishing what I started, I need that relic you now wear so protectively around your neck."

"You may find that difficult Rygerri," Norrelle stood tall and let her wings tear through her dress.

"Ah, so you know me young one?"

"I was told and yes I know of you, a betrayer to your kind!  A traitor to our old god!"

"You only know what history and the Baelathkai tell you young princess.  You yet do not know the truth!"  He took a step forward, she watched Erinwolfe from the corner of her vision ready the spear.  Looking at Erinwolfe also, Rygerri said, "You may find me a bit more prepared this time human."

Rygerri waved his hand, sending a pulse of energy that tossed Erinwolfe and Patch as if they were merely leaves on the wind.  Both hit the ground hard nearly fifty feet further back.  He laughed, turning back to Norrelle.  Pitching his head down then up quickly he let out a roar.  A sonic pulse rippled outward with it.  Norrelle knelt down, covering herself with her wings, shielding her body from the harsh vibrating onslaught.  The deadly breath forced her backward a few feet, but otherwise did not hurt her.  It was considerably weaker when he is in human form she noted.  The attack would surely hurt humans or elfin, but her body, shielded by her strong leathery wings shrugged it off somewhat easily.

The dragon took another step forward, but stopped as the grass around him began snaking up his legs.  Two large oaks bent and grew, reaching out for him, snagging them within their branches.  Nature all around him wrapped him and held Rygerri tightly, pulling him to the ground.  The more he wrestled the growth, the more vehemently it tightened.

"You may find us more prepared likewise," Aynnolyn yelled.  Norrelle glance over at the woman she called Mama.  Her guardian now shown her true face, her skin was no longer aged and wrinkled, her human appearance removed, the elder elf with long flowing silver hair stood wielding an enchanted oaken staff.

Struggling within nature's grasp Rygerri growled.  "How many of you damned Baelathkai are there!  Nevertheless, I will break free!"

"Then you will face me!" Jason yelled.

Rygerri stopped fighting Aynnolyn's magic and looked at Jayce.  "Shadowgrass, I should have known you'd be lurking around here.  You stride around not knowing what you wield, nor do you comprehend its true power.  No, you are more dangerous now, a dark man with a powerful ancient sword."  Rygerri snickered, "Careful half-blood, that sword is cursed!"

Norrelle watched Jason as he walked haughtily up to Rygerri.  His arm now nearly healed, a fact that surprised her, but then again he always had healed quickly.  Looking back at Rygerri, she could see a bit of concern in his once proud face.  He quickly returned to his true shape, his massive body easily tore free of his earthly binding and lifted himself into the air.

The quick downdraft pushed both her and Jayce back a bit, yet Jason overcame and moved closer.  Rygerri did not wait around, his wings flapped rapidly, creating a minor windstorm as he gained height.  His head turned toward the front of the manor, voices approached, accompanied by the ring of chain mail.  Soldiers obviously were rushing in.

As the black dragon circled, she returned to her human form, allowing her wings to meld magically into her back.  Glancing back at her elfin guardian, she saw that Aynnolyn also once again became that elderly human Miss Friedman, as she turned to meet the troops invading her home.

Mama would handle the soldiers, so Norrelle looked to Erinwolfe and Laurel.  Walking up to them, they were already standing, wiping themselves off, both glaring toward the sky as if saying “next time beast.”

“That will not be the last we see him,” Jayce said as he stepped up to her.

“I do not doubt that,” she agreed.

“We must reform the knights Norrelle, your knights to be precise,” he added.

Laughing she placed her hand on his shoulder.  “Words I thought I would never here you speak Jason, but damn glad you did.”  Staring back into the sky, the dragon was no more than a speck over the mountains to the north.  He was right, she need protection, a plan, advisers, and sadly an army.  Norrelle knew this was going to escalate, of that, she was also aware.  Her first order of business now was to get this city back on its feet quickly and do as Jayce suggest�"re-instate the knights.

Hearing a harsh and arrogant voice come around the manor only angered her and wished she had acted sooner to get the city back under control and clean out the filth.  Stephan marched up to him, barking orders to his soldiers to surround them all.  Captain Sebach was with him also, along with the other Royal Order Patrol.  Pushing through the guards, she confronted Stephan, cutting him off from nearing Jayce.

“What is the meaning of this,” she demanded.

“We are not here about the dragon, we will find him and put him back where ever he came from,” Sebach spoke up.

Norrelle glared at him, “You shut your mouth, and I was not speaking to you.”

“I beg your pardon; I have jurisdiction here Lady. . .”

Norrelle stepped up to him.  It was now a time to put an end to these petty power plays among humans and elves alike.  She did not recognize the power of the Order or the Council any longer.  Realizing now, she could no longer afford to.  She had to stop watching the world spin by her; she had to start acting like a queen.  “Mister Sebach, I do not honor your rules, laws, or give a s**t about your jurisdiction here, now, or evermore.  Now quietly step back or I will have your removed!”

“You,” he sneered.

Moving mere inches from his face, she allowed her eyes to change slightly draconic.  He shook his head, stepping back, his face paler than the clouds above.  Allowing her eyes to return to human, she gazed at Stephan, “Now what the hell do you want?”

“Shadowgrass, Lady Norrelle, just Shadowgrass for now.”

“On what grounds,” Jayce asked standing beside her now.

“Murder,” Stephan seemed pleased to be able to make the accusation.

“Who’s?” Jason asked.

“Leeland and Erin Parker,” Stephan shook his head, nearly chuckling.  “Both were found dead last night in the Parker’s Manor.  Evidence points to you Jason.”

Norrelle placed her hand on Jayce’s chest, stepping in front of him, “What evidence?”

“Incriminating documents, Lady, so by Islesen law, he is to be incarcerated until he can stand before the judge to set trial and see if bail is an option.”  Again Stephan nearly laughed.

Jason was about to argue, but Norrelle turned to him.  “Jason, he’s right.  Go, give me Hunter, I guarantee you will not be in there longer than a few days.  Trust me.”

“Norrelle, I did not. . .”

“I am well aware of that Jason, just do as I ask.”

He looked at her, cocking his head sideways, “Ask?”

“Command, then.”  She leaned in close and whispered, “If this is another trick, we will ensnare this deceitful b*****d once and for all.  Trust me.”

“This better work,” he whispered, handing her Hunter.  Stepping toward Stephan, he said to her with a smile, “milady.”

He then held his hands out to Stephan, who seemingly wanted Jason to resist.  The traitorous councilman ordered manacles slapped onto him, and then he walked away at a quick pace, his men following with Jason in tow.

“This is not over,” Sebach spoke to her with an angered stare.

She smiled in return saying, “Oh, my dear little wizard I know, not by far.  What is funny is what a speck you are in the grand scheme of things and you do not even realize it.”

He huffed as he turned away from her, waving the rest of the Royal Order to follow.  Erinwolfe and Laurel were now standing next to her as they watched the soldiers retreat to the manor’s main gate.

“What now,” Laurel asked.

“We retake the city,” Norrelle told them both.

“By force,” questioned Erinwolfe.

Spinning herself around to watch Aynnolyn come toward them she said, “If need be.  Mother, I need to speak with Ayrial now.”

Her mother bowed, “I will send for her immediately, stating you command an audience.”

“Good,” Norrelle looked at Patch, “we need Blade as well.”

Laurel laughed, “I gathered as much.”

 



© 2010 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The loan was not for her, but from her to Laurel Brevor. It seems that 'Patch', which was her nickname since she wore a black leather patch over her missing eye, wanted to buy a small home with a store front to sell herbs and potions.( I would use... which was Laurel's nickname... for clarity. Got confused there a second.)

A few typos, but I make a ton of those lol. Which is what editing is for. Which I dread, I hate that part.
Another interesting chapter. Good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The loan was not for her, but from her to Laurel Brevor. It seems that 'Patch', which was her nickname since she wore a black leather patch over her missing eye, wanted to buy a small home with a store front to sell herbs and potions.( I would use... which was Laurel's nickname... for clarity. Got confused there a second.)

A few typos, but I make a ton of those lol. Which is what editing is for. Which I dread, I hate that part.
Another interesting chapter. Good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 16, 2010
Last Updated on July 16, 2010


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing