From the Realm of Shadow

From the Realm of Shadow

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson

The roaring of the waterfall pounded in his ears as Darrin Sebach dismounted with his men at the fortified overlook next to Sebastian's Falls on the Islesen River.  The mist rose high into the air as he walked to the low wall and looked down the two-hundred and twenty foot drop.  He put his hands on his hips as he stared down the canyon.

"What now Captain," Lieutenant Hoyle asked.

"Find me the Islesen commander that's posted here," Darrin answered.  "Have him meet me here immediately.  Also, send one of our scouts north to Arginth, give him this message," he handed Hoyle a sealed letter he wrote late last evening.  "Have him deliver this to the Royal Order barracks there.  And send the other two scouts east and west into the hills around the town.  I don't want any surprises."

"Yes sir, it will be done immediately."

"And have Lieutenant Janson start rounding up as many able body men as he can find in the town.  I want a militia at this point within two hours."  The lieutenant nodded, saluted, then turned and nearly ran back to the Order's patrol, which were still mounted.

He sighed, and then placed his hands on the damp slick stone wall.  His eyes scanned the land below.  The road that wound up the gorge to the town was narrow, so a large force could not easily march up there.  He could easily have long bowmen stationed here, along with a few catapults to assault anyone trying to send a force up the road.  So the defense of the town from a land based attack should be simple.

Turning around, he looked at the small town, which sat some one hundred yards north of the fall.  The town of Sebastian's Falls was surrounded by ten foot high wooden walls on its other three sides.  This would prevent anyone from easily coming in from the hills to the west and east, and the main gate sealed off the road to Arginth.  It was most definitely defensible, from normal forces, but a dragon?

Nor did he know what he was defending it from. Was it the black dragon and whatever vile creatures it could muster or Norrelle and her small army?  He was not sure what was going on, he just knew he needed to act.  Before he left Islesen there were rumors of the old elfin prophecies.  He studied them in the academy; the thought was that the last dragon descendant would return to claim the throne.  The Order or the Royal Council did not desire this, as it would insight the elfin and dwarven population, resulting in the worst case scenario of war.

All in Islesen had witnessed the dragons' battle.  He took that thought back.  He received reports of dwarves assisting in the fight.  He did not understand it then, but as he reflected on the entire picture, they were preparing for something larger.  So, at least the dwarves knew, then, it was obvious, that soon the elves would be made aware.  Also, the dragon could fly, which was problematic also.  How could he contain the beast if he could simply fly over the mountains and tell the elves himself that he was now free and it was time to rally?

Then there was Norrelle.  What was her role?  Something was odd about her, her eyes had changed.  She was also up to something, telling him he was just nobody in a larger scheme.  He believed that she was going to take over Islesen.  With the king dead and Stephan alone, the city would easily fall if there were enough soldiers still loyal to her.  But what was her purpose?  Why should she now make a stand and defy the council rule?

Darrin knew he did not have time to go chasing for answers, so he would just prepare for the worst and send the information back to his superiors.  They can do what they must; they have the resources there to dig for meanings to it all.  One scout should be shortly on the way to the outpost in Arginth.  However, Darren also had alternate ways of communicating.

Reaching out his arm he pictured a large hawk in his mind.  It was a trained bird, taught to be a messenger and remote eyes when needed.  The academy created the link between the two of them many years ago.  A magical bond allowed them to understand small messages between each other.  Within a matter of minutes, the large brown bird landed gently on his padded arm.

Removing another letter that he had written last night, nearly identical to the one he gave the scout, but this one was a bit more in depth, he slide it into the small scroll tube that was attached to the birds neck.  Once the letter was secure, he gazed into the creature's eyes, thinking only of the man to whom he wanted the letter delivered.  The hawk screeched out in understanding and immediately took flight heading north to Dra'che'aeq Keep, the headquarters of the Royal Order and Council.

* * *

Jason stood next to Fiona as they both watched the king and Norrelle pace back and forth.  He was angry, just as upset as he imaged the two of them were.  The loss at the field was a devastating blow to all of them.  He should have been more prepared.  They should have been more prepared.  Everyone knew Rygerri was in the vicinity, but they let the jubilation get the best of them.

They all, including him, still feeling on top of the world after defeating Clinox believed they were ready.  Damn, he should have known better.  He felt guilty, his mind was elsewhere, not focused.  So many things were clouding his judgment now.  From Cat's death, to finding out about his child, his reunion with Fiona�"still undecided about the direction to take with her�"to the revelation that he was elfin and not human.

Leaning against the doorway that led out to the balcony from the king's war room, he crossed his arms.  "We got our collective asses kicked today," he said.  "Good men died, we will feel their loss in the days to come."

"I am aware of all that," Richmond responded, moving out to the balcony and looking over the city.  "No more can we sit and pretend to be safe.  We need to act now, not later."

"Act on what," Rose spoke up.  The young woman has been quiet nearly all day, absorbing the situation Jason assumed.  "Where?"

"We need to take to the offensive," Norrelle said, following the king out onto the balcony.  "Rygerri is a formidable foe, and with Constance on his side, well we saw what she can do."

"And I saw too close what Rygerri can do," Fiona added standing next to Jason.  "Can you do that to, Lady Norrelle?"

"What?  His dragon breath?  No," she said.

"Well, what can you do," Fiona inquired.

"Each dragon varies actually, from what I remember and have been taught.  I do fire," she admitted.

"Well, that could be useful," Fiona replied almost sarcastically.  "Right now, it's just the five of them---"

"Four," Laurel snapped, "my son is not with them.  "You all seen that he wanted to come home.  He's no threat, he's just a boy."

"And Constance is just a little girl," Jason said with a sarcastic tone and intention.

"Don't toss Kaynan with that crowd Jason," Laurel stood, her face flushed red with anger.  "He's an innocent in all this."

"There is no such thing---"

"Stop it, both of you," Fiona yelled stepping between the two.  "We're all upset.  Like Jason said, good people died today," looking at Jason, "innocent people there just to celebrate what you did.  Arguing now amongst ourselves is not going to stop Rygerri or Constance."  Turning to Laurel, "or get your son back."

Jason stepped around her and sat on a stone bench on the balcony.  She was right; his anger was driving him, forcing him to snap.  He truly needed to focus.  Thinking over what happened and who was involved, looking for something, anything.  They all needed a place to start.

"I lost a brother today," Nalin said.  "My brethren and I could have abandoned all of you, returning home to plot our own revenge.  But I, Prince Nalin, am standing here ready to be commanded by you my lady.  Good man and woman die in war, and several had sacrificed their lives in the past few days.  Should we not work together now, better ourselves so they would not have died for nothing.  Constance said we could not ever work together, us dwarves, elves, humans, and dragons.  She said we would only fight amongst ourselves.  I am standing before my queen, ready to stand with the elves," he said pointing to Jason and Mother Friedman�"Aynnolyn, he finally was reminded of her true name.  "And you humans," Nalin continued motioning toward Fiona and King Richmond.

"Prince Nalin is right," Yassir finally spoke up.  Jason was wondering when the arrogant elfish priest would toss in his little silver.  "We have fought side by side before, yes not knowing what each of us were, but still we trusted our lives to each other," he added.

You may have trusted your life to us, Jason thought, but I never truly trusted mine to you.  Shaking his head has he finished the thought; he slapped his hands on his thigh and stood.  "We do not have to like each other," he said looking at Yassir, "nor do we need to be friends, but we still can work as a team.  I myself find it difficult to trust any elf," he laughed, which sometime may include himself.  "The elves have given me no reason to trust them.  Always hiding, manipulating, and pulling our strings as if we were all puppets."  Shae was about to cut him off, but he waved his hand at her and continued.  "I maybe of elfin blood, but I was human raised.  I may think as an elf, but my loyalties lay with the humans," he walked next to Norrelle.  "My deepest loyalties belong to her.  I will see to it that she reaches Dra'che'aeq," looking at Fiona, "we will see it.  Those of us that once served with her."

Jason now walked up to Nalin, "I will humbly take aid from my friends."  Jason outstretched his arm and Nalin received it.  After a stern shake, he released and stepped around the dwarf.  "As for you two," he said to Yassir and Aynnolyn, "as for you two you all need to decide just what you're in this for?  I'm her knight captain," he said pointing to Norrelle, "I take orders from her and her only.  I will not bow to anymore Kings, Queens, Prince's or Princess'.  It ends now!"

"My blood is that of the Baelathkai family, elfin royalty since the first Great Kings, to ask me or us---"

"There have not been any Great Kings for hundreds of years," Jason cut Yassir off.  "Your," he paused, "our family has done nothing but manipulate the previous dragon king, and have ruled exactly nothing for over two hundred and fifty years.  When this is all said and done, there is NO guarantee that a Baelathkai will be sitting on a Great King throne, if there even is such a thing.  If that is what you both are in this for, then you can simply stay here, or go back home!"

"It must be a Baelathkai and there must be a return of the Great Kings," Yassir yelled, stepping dangerously close to him.

"Well, the hell with you, what if it is me then, huh?  After all, I am a Baelathkai too," Jason yelled back, edging near to Yassir.

Yassir gave a smug huff, "You, you are not---"

"What, I'm not---"

"STOP IT!"  Shae stepped between the two of them and pushed them apart; Fiona grabbed his right arm and backed him off.  "To Hell with both your asses, what if it's ME!  Huh?  I'm a Baelathkai also.  This is not WORKING together," Shae said angrily.  "I'm not in this for a title or recognition.  Neither is Jason," she said looking at him.  "None of us should.  Thousands of lives are at stake here, whether they are human, elf, or dwarf, thousands of people will die.  Rygerri and Constance will kill us all equally; they have just proved that---"

"People," Rose spoke up as she walked toward the balcony looking out over the city as twilight fell.  "I really love all this melodrama here, but I think something is brewing at the black tower," she said pointing.

Jason turned around as massive black and gray clouds enveloped the lower half of the city.  Black and green lighting, much like he has seen days before, arced around the top of the obsidian tower.  It did not take him long to realize that someone was opening the gate back to the plane of shadow.

* * *

His head was spinning.  All was dark, but he felt differently.  His soul was no longer just floating, it was now locked somewhere.  He took a breath.  That was a change, he could breathe, where was he?  Slowly he could feel his arms and legs, he flexed each.  His fingers felt the touch of cold stone.  He was lying down.

Get up my servant, he heard in his mind.  Your next task has just begun.

Task, he thought, what task?

Remember who you serve priest, he heard.

Serve, I served Clinox, didn't I?

No, remember why you found that wizard, remember who sent you!

Suddenly his life flashed before his closed eyes and at that moment he understood.  "My lord," he said aloud.  "I now know, forgive me."

Fear not, it was to be expected, now open your eyes and get up!  The gate is opening and you have places to be!

Yes my lord, he thought as he lifted his eyelids looking around the dark room in which he had died.  Taking a deep breath, he rolled over and stood.  With a new mission, Valnerac dusted himself off and headed down the halls that he knew well to the gate back to Islesen. 

* * *

They rode as fast as they could to the park, with some hope that they could stop who ever from finishing whatever it was they were attempting.  But much to their dismay, their unseen opponent was a few steps ahead of them.  Norrelle dismounted from her steed and stood in front of the park that was now vile and dark.

Soldiers that tried to penetrate it were torn apart by the very trees that once gave it beauty.  Screams of the dead, haunting the park, made the others step away.  This was the work of Constance, she could sense it.  There was no way in, other than over the park.  She was sure also that Rygerri and Constance would have assumed that.  Flying in was then out of the question.

"What are they doing," Fiona asked.  "Why open the gate?"

"He's gathering his commanders," Aynnolyn said.  "He's awakening the other dragons that were imprisoned by our god centuries ago."

"How," Norrelle asked.

"The same way Clinox accidentally awakened him, with the rune stone," Aynnolyn answered.

"We just can't stand here and do nothing," Yassir said.  "We have to go in there and stop him!"

"We have already seen that we are not capable," Aynnolyn returned.  "Today's earlier events attest to that."

Jason turned to Norrelle and Aynnolyn, "Well I for one agree with Yassir this time.  If we just watch, then we will most definitely be unable."  Turning back to the small animated forest he added, "I am going to try!"

Norrelle watched him slowly advance on the evil growth.  He took a deep breath and drew his sword.  When he was ready, Jason charged the parks edge.  He managed to get a few feet from it when a tree lashed out at him.  Its massive tangled branches struck him hard in the chest.  The sweeping attack knocked him back to her feet, landing forcibly on his behind.

She heard Yassir chuckle as he stood up.  He glared at the elfish priest, and then stretched out his left hand.  "After you then," he told Yassir.

Yassir was about to oblige Jason's request when Norrelle and the others looked up.  It was too late; the beasts were emerging from the dark clouds above, circling, waiting.  Jason and Yassir also noticed, stopping their feeble attempt to attack the park.  In time, they watched and counted.  One large dark blue, nearly her color, swooped low then headed off to the southwest.

Another, a shadowy copper, nearly Rygerri's size flew over the rooftops, westward. This one using its draconic breath, which seemed to be a similar fire spray as hers, igniting buildings, manors, and other homes instantly in upper Islesen.  A third, smaller then Rygerri, but just as black, soared over head, flying northwest it's forceful breath sent pulses of energy down upon the city, erupting the large stone wall that divided the city in several sections, then continued as the others had over the mountains.

Three more, one gray, about Norrelle's full size, another black about her size also, and a larger one, dark blue, descended from the tower heading northward.  She could tell that the smaller ones each held a rider, more than likely one was Stalker, and the other was the assassin.  Each pummeled the city's bridge and gate with their destructive blasts.  When they finished their bombardment, they flew back over head, ignoring them.

They continued in unison to the harbor and let loose yet another barrage, bringing deadly forces down upon the vessels that rested there, one of which would be the Mystic.  Turning back, swooping down in a formation from out of the smoke, they again headed for the tower, circling it.  Soon after, Rygerri, with his riders, descended, and flew a circle around them.

Rapidly the giant beast angled upwards, arcing back towards the tower.  Joining the other three dragons, they attacked the tower.  The obsidian structure took a beating from their combined dragon breaths, but it eventually fell victim to the assault.  The tower erupted in a ball of flame and magic; send a destructive wave outward in all directions. The blast leveled the park, the buildings around it, and sent them all to the street and tumbling within the maelstrom.

She was tossed with the rest of them through falling buildings that sat behind them.  The world spun around her as she bounced, rolled and flung in the whirl wind.  When she stopped, she simply laid there, waiting for everything around her to become calm.  It seemed as if she waited hours, but it was only minutes before the sky no longer rained debris down upon her sore and bruised body.

Needing to find everyone else, she stood, painfully.  Wiping the dirt and dust from her eyes she scanned the rubble nearby.  Jason was getting up, he seemed to be moving fine, a bit slow, favoring his left leg, but he was moving.  Yassir was next to him, the priest stood, she could see blood pouring from his left temple.  He moved a few steps and offered a hand to his captain, Dajmal.

Shae emerged several yards further down; she was bleeding severely from her leg.  She was carrying her lover Connacht.  The half-elfin held a large chunk of wood in his left shoulder.  Norrelle could not ascertain from here if he was alive or dead.   Behind them, Laurel was aiding Rose through the debris, both looked battered, but mobile.  Nalin and three out of the six of his troops emerged from the same area.

Someone touched her left shoulder.  Turning she saw Fiona standing next to her, she was bleeding from her left arm, and her left side.  Her face was saddened though, not showing the pain she must have been feeling.

"Norrelle," she said, "I'm so sorry."

"What," Norrelle started, but stopped when she saw the bent and twisted body of Aynnolyn beneath a stone wall behind Fiona.  "No," she cried, "Please no!"

She quickly ran to her guardian's side and with incredible strength she lifted the fallen wall.  Tossing it aside Norrelle dropped beside Aynnolyn.  It was no use; her midsection was nearly cleaved in two.  Her eyes stared lifelessly at her.  Using her bleeding hand, she closed yet another set of eyes on a loved one today.



© 2010 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing