The Aftermath Continues

The Aftermath Continues

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson

Jason stood on the balcony of the war room once again.  Night had fallen on the city, but it was illuminated by bright orange glows caused by several fires still raging out of control.  The death toll was high, he did not know the number, and honestly he did not want to.  It would only anger him far more than he already was.  The war for the throne began today, far earlier than any of them would have guessed, and already they were losing.

Walking back into the room, everyone was sitting quietly as they were getting bandaged and looked at.  The group looked defeated.  Not just by the amount of wounds they had taken, but by the sullen gazes on their faces.  Norrelle in fact had said nothing since they brought her back to the palace.  She was now like Jason; she no longer had a home to go back too, it was still raging with flames.

"We're knee deep in dragon s**t now," Fiona said to the room, but she was looking at him.  "Not one, but seven!"

"We do not need to be reminded Lady Fiona," Yassir said solemnly.

Standing, wincing slightly and holding her freshly stitch side, she moved to the center of the room.  "Well maybe we do!  We just got our asses handed to us not once but twice today!"

"Again, we are aware," Yassir said, staring at the ceiling.

"Listen you pompous elfin a*s, I know we are aware, but we're sitting here like a bunch of wounded puppies.  I emphasize sitting.  Some of our friends are no longer with us, this is true, but they died because we were doing nothing!  After we got caught with our pants down at the festival we gave up.  Hell we could not even have a simple discussion without nearly tearing ourselves apart.

"I for one am going to remember what happened today, I am also going to keep counting DRAGONS until I finally reach zero.  Sitting here feeling sorry for ourselves is not saving those people out there," she pointed out the doors to the balcony.  "And do you think they are going to stop at destroying Islesen?  Like Shae said this evening there are thousands upon thousands of people out there and they have nobody!"

She turned and marched past Jason, he saw the anger in her eyes as she slowed next to him, and he also noted the tear on her cheek.  She continued out to the balcony, stopping at the stone railing.  She needed to cool down; he stepped in the room and closed the doors, leaving her to herself.

"She's right," Connacht whispered from the floor where he was laying.  He sat up, then using the heavy wooden table he pulled himself up until he was standing.  "We have to act, and do so quickly.  Those beasts are not going to wait until we heal to continue their strategy.  No, they have a plan already and are enacting it as we speak."

"Yes we can," Norrelle finally spoke.  She stood, looking strong.  She grabbed several map scrolls from a large urn and limped to the large table.  She thumbed through each, looking at what each contained until she found the one she wanted.  She unrolled a map of Ine'iss on the table.  "We can determine some of their intents, and make our own plans to counter."

Jason walked up to the table, looking at the map, Nalin step beside him studying also.  Ine'iss was large and Jason had only seen a small part of it.  He had been as far north as the city of Arginth in Arginthia, and that was nearly a two week ride.  Arginth, besides Port Alexi, was the nearest large city to Islesen.

"I can guarantee that the dragon we saw flying southwest was more than likely heading to the Dyginian Jungles of Katanaga and Casawell, the home of the assassin that missed me today."

"Those wild elves are not loyal to anyone but themselves," Yassir added.  "They separated from the elfin nations when the great kings were abolished six hundred years ago, when Rygerri and his allies were banished.  What could Rygerri promise them to get them involved?"

"Most of all, they despise humans," Norrelle said.  "Mother," she paused, "Mother told me that the elfin queen of those southern territories, Aerque Dygin, a descendant of Dhovarlan Dygin the first, blamed the humans for Eteliwyth's decision to eradicate the great kings and banish the armies involved.  In every race's history, it is written that Great King Dalen Orawrem of the humans enticed the others to join him."

"They would be right in anger," Yassir added.

"Why," Jason argued.  "The elves took up arms also, and the dwarves, and the dragons," pointing outside, "Rygerri to be specific.  The humans may have dreamed up the plot, but the others did not need to agree."

"But Great King Dalen Orawrem was just that, a Great King," Yassir came back.

"And that makes him less susceptible to corruption?  Just step back and look at our own family, descendants of a Great King."

"That is---"

"I'm not getting into this argument with you now," Jason cut him off.  "You really need to decide where you stand!  It's us or them, it's that simple."  Jason put his finger on the Dyginian area of the map and looked at Norrelle.  "There is nothing we can do about this one.  We have no one here that is knowledgeable or has contacts there, besides, any elfin army that beast recruits is the furthest away from Dra'che'aeq."

"Not true," Laurel spoke up.  "Colin has contacts in decently high positions in Katanaga, as would any official from Port Alexi.  Cat had many contacts there, maybe someone still knows who?"

"I'll send immediately for Colin's release," King Richmond spoke.  "It seems he was another unwilling pawn of Hardin's and Clinox.  After all, according to my reports, he turned himself in.  I'll give him a chance for redemption."

"Thank you," Laurel replied.

"Alright then," Norrelle began.  "Now we need a way to get in contact with Alexi, and Katanaga.  Anyone know that status of our fleet?"

"My first report from the navy is that only two ships were patrolling, the rest of the fleet is in flames.  The admiral is down at the harbor now assessing the situation.  He has not yet informed me when either of those two vessels are due in, or what class of vessels they are."

"I had three ships in the harbor, including my flagship the Mystic," Norrelle added.  "Unfortunately, one left for Katanaga as scheduled two days ago, another to Myrinda, just after the port reopened last week, and one due in from northern Arginthia in a few days."

"Well, we may just have to wait for it then," Richmond said.  "It still would take them a while to gather up the elves and march northward.  Katanaga can have something ready to cut them off."

"That is if they agree," Jason added.  "Do you think a majority of the governments are going to willingly side with Norrelle?  I can bet you that the Royal Order forces will mobilize to stop either one of us.  Besides Islesen, there are not many of non-human friendly people out there.  We could be very well fighting two opponents, not just one."

"True," Nalin agreed.

"Then someone needs to talk with the Royal Order and get to the Royal Council of Ine'iss," Norrelle said.  "Rygerri's going to try to annihilate them as he is us."

"Yes," Jason said, "but siding with us is also not in their best interest either.  Either way, they lose!"

"I don't think we can count on the human empires at all," Yassir said smugly.

"Excuse me," Fiona said as she entered.  "Just what do you call us then?  King Richmond has already agreed to give Norrelle whatever it is she needs.  Don't count us humans out yet.  There may be more of us out there than you think Yassir."  She walked up to the table holding her left side.  "You really need to come down to earth Yassir.  This isn't about races, it's about survival.

"Let's forget Rygerri for a moment and his dragon commanders.  Just imagine if he wins and Constance get's what she wants?  If that dark b***h survives, I don't think she would have a problem controlling or eliminating the dragon.  Then her goddess rules and we would most definitely be in dark times, very dark times."

"I see your point Fiona," Yassir said.  "But that alone may not convince the human empires that we are the right choice."

Fiona laughed and shook her head.  "Where's this we?  It's just her," she explained pointing at Norrelle.  "That she's the right choice.  'We' are simply serving her, trying our damnedest to get her there.  Again, get off your cloud!"

Yassir chuckled.  "We, my lady, that is my family, have been faithful and serving her since she was born!  Where were you?  Where were the humans?"

"Right here, supporting her you ungrateful fu---"

"Stop it, both of you," Norrelle pound the table with her hands.  "I've had enough!"

"Norrelle," Yassir started, but she lifted her hand silencing him.

"Thank you---" Fiona began, but Norrelle raised her other hand fingering her to quiet.  Jason snickered as he sat in a chair next to the table, Norrelle glared at him.  He smiled back.

"No more," Norrelle said.  "Fiona, quit prodding him, and Yassir, she's right.  From this point forward, I no longer care who your family is or was.  As far as I'm concerned, the only elfin family I trust be they Baelathkai or not, was Mama.  Her sisters did nothing but play games and attempt to manipulate me and the others.  She left me to my own decisions, guiding where she could.  And damn if she had nothing good to say about your mother," she looked at Yassir, "or Ayrial."  Looking at Jason, "or your mother.  The three of them have been feuding since before the war!  Why do you think Mama was given the task?  Because she wanted nothing but for the world to return as it was!

"You all need to set back and look at this from another point of view now.  We have tough choices ahead, and a rough road to march.  What I need is all of you. So I've come to a decision.  From this moment here to until I have the throne, you are my commanders and advisors.  The only true king in this room is Richmond, and you all will recognize him as such.  As far as the rest of you and those out there?  Well those positions are now empty until I see fit to apply the titles myself!  I don't care whose blood is whose veins!  I was chosen by a god, not to sound vain here, but I was.  I am the last of his descendants!  The Baelathkai's took the elfin throne thousands of years ago by strength and leadership, it was not given to them nor was it destined to them.

"They were assigned as guardians," she continued, "not to rule!  To support me!  Now, Yassir, I ask you, are you in this to support me or a crown for you or your mother.  Because I'm here to tell you this right now, come the end of all this, true rightful leaders will show themselves before the citizens and I as it was done thousands of years before! They did not set out to be kings, they earned the title from the people and it was blessed by the gods."

Yassir stepped back from the table rubbing his temples.  It was obvious to Jason that the priest to Asoamar was mulling over what the queen-to-be had just decreed.  Jason was trying not to chuckle or even have a pleased look on his face, but he for one was glad she finally spoke up.  As far as he was concerned, he wanted nothing to do with a crown, Baelathkai blood or not.  When this was over, he simply wanted to come home, to Islesen and start his life over again.

He watched Fiona stagger a bit, then sit in the seat next to him.  She was so beautiful, even now, beat and bruised.  Suddenly he remembered what he saw in her those years ago.  It was not simple lust; he had genuine feelings for her.  Reaching over he gently rubbed her hand with his.  She looked at him and gave him a smile, a welcomed smile.

"I will abide by your wishes my queen," Nalin spoke.  "From now on, I will no longer refer to myself as Prince, nor will I answer to such a title.  It would be presumptuous of me to expect the Dwarven Empire to except me as their Great King.  We will let the stones fall as they will."

"Thank you Nalin," Norrelle replied, "Yassir?"

"I can speak only for myself, not my mother or my aunt.  I will do as you ask," he acknowledged.  "I am your servant my lady.  Please, all of you accept my apologies."

"Now that is how your brother would have said it," Fiona said.  "Now, can we continue, the hour draws late and we have yet a lot to sift through."

"Okay," Norrelle started again.  "We need to get someone to Katanaga and convince them some way or another to come to arms.  A massive elfin army led by a dragon should be enough.  Now," she pointed to the map again," the second beast flew due west.  Sure it's course maybe altered as it flies, but I believe it's heading for your home Yassir."

Looking now at the map, Yassir shook his head up and down.  "I agree.  The beast would try to entice my family to side with it, and my behavior thus far would indicate to you, and slightly to me, my mother may be tempted."

"We need to get to her first," Fiona said, "but again, how?"

"Yes, indeed," Yassir examined the map.  "It took me and my men nearly two months to arrive here when we left.  It's quite a journey."

"We can cut a significant amount of time off that trip," Connacht added.

"How," Shae questioned him.

"The portals," he answered.

"No, Rygerri destroyed them," Norrelle added.

"We don't know that for sure," he returned.  "We do know that the large one on the top of the tower is most definitely gone, but there were two smaller permanent ones around the base of the tower, hidden in the structure.  If one remains intact, there were two permanent gates in Alexi's castle.  From there, someone could venture through the mines, emerging just east of the Arginthia and Semearal border.  It would trim weeks off the trip."

"If one did remain intact, we have no way of opening it," Yassir informed them.  "No one knows the ritual, the ritual Rygerri gave to Constance."

"Wrong again," Connacht said while removing a rolled up parchment from his pouch that hung on his belt.  "I knew this was important, so I copied it" He held it out toward Yassir.  "Will this do?"

Grabbing it quickly the priest eagerly unrolled it.  Jason watched his eyes scan the long document, smiling with a sly grin.  After a few moments he rolled it up then carefully placed it in his pouch.  "Yes, I think it will.  Give me a few hours to study it.  If you find a gate, I can try then to open it."

"Is that wise," Rose finally added her voice to the conversation.  "I know I'm that last person that has any right to speak, but do any of you remember how we left that place, it was crawling with moving corpses, remember?"

"Well hopefully Rygerri and Constance had dealt with them on their trip through; otherwise, we still must go in prepared.  I will take Dajmal and the reminder of my men along.  I know the way."

"No," Connacht said, "No, you don't.  Only I know the way through the mines.  Without a guide, you'll roam through those twisted shafts for days or longer."

Shae moved next to him, "What are you saying?"

"I'm going with them."

Grabbing his hand, she said, "Then I'm going with you."

Shaking his head back and forth, Connacht looked at her.  "No, your place is here, with Jason and Norrelle.  You are to see that they make it to Dra'che'aeq."

Pushing him back she said, "No damn it, my place is with you!  I'm no longer bowing to the will of others.  Where you go I go!"  She stepped back, turning to Jason.

Jason stood and walked up to her.  He knew what he had to do, but he did not want to.  He did love this young little girl; she was indeed more than a niece to him.  Far more, as she stood there determined, he felt as if she were his own daughter.  It was time to let her go.  Taking her hands, looking at them, feeling the skill and power that ran through each finger, he sighed, then gazed into her eyes.  "Shae, I free you of the duty that my brother bound you to.  Your sword is no longer mine; it serves something far greater than I now.  Go with him, get Yassir home."  Leaning closer to her ear he whispered, "and make sure he stays true to his word or else," he paused, "you know what to do."

She chuckled and gave him a kiss on the cheek.  "Thanks uncle," she said with a smile.  "I will."

Rose walked passed him, tapping Jason on the shoulder she said with a grin, "I'll keep an eye on her."

Stepping back, Jason nodded, "I bet you will."

Norrelle reached for Mama's old oaken staff that she had earlier placed in the corner of the room.  Walking to Shae, she handed it to her.  "This has been passed down from many generation's of the Baelathkai women.  It will help you develop your magical skills Shae.  Mama had no other women to give it to, so I am giving to you."

Shae ran her hands up and down the wooden staff, "But I don't know how---"

"You're an elf, at least half; it's in your blood.  Baelathkai's come by it easier than some.  I'm sure between Connacht and Yassir you can pick up a trick or two," Norrelle said with a smile.

"I don't know what to say," Shae held the staff up right, like a walking stick.  "Thank you."

"You do know Lady Norrelle, that will anger my mother," Yassir cracked a smile.



© 2010 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing