The Plan

The Plan

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson

Her eyes grew weary as she moved back to the table and examined the map.  Norrelle politely covered her yawn as she sat at the chair.  It was a heart wrenching day, a day not like any other.  A day she did not wish to have repeated.  Yet, somehow she knew that this war was going to cost her more, so much more.  Her questions, could she pay the price, was she willing, and more so, did she have a choice?

She rubbed her eyes, they were hurting.  Not just from being tired, but from crying.  Norrelle spent the earlier evening in tears, weeping over the loss of Mama Friedman.  At times this evening she felt alone, that she had no one to help her get through the times ahead.  The constant bickering among her friends and allies also was wearing her thin.

It would be a marvel if they could come together to resolve and win this war.  A few she did trust, though some of them were angering her.  Fiona was a fine warrior, skilled and trustworthy.  She had the utmost faith in her, but her sharp tongue has not helped in this evening's discussions.  Nonetheless, she was glad Fiona was with her, and she had no doubt that where ever the road would take them in the weeks to follow, Fiona would be by her side.  That was also true for Jason.

He has changed over the last few days.  She now recognized the man she knew eight years ago.  He was a bit rough and younger then, but she could see those edges being honed in his mind.  He too has gone through a lot as of late, though he was taking it all, or so his outward appearance suggested.  He has lost and gained, his emotions must be going in various directions within.  Though, now, he sat, smiled and grinned as the conversations fleeted around the room.  She felt it was very honorable of him to relieve Shae of her duties, allowing her to travel with Connacht.

Secretly, she was glad Yassir was not going to travel with her at this point.  His haughtiness seemed to get in the way of his rational decisions.  She did not trust his mother either, for she was the one who betrayed Ayrial during the war two-hundred and fifty years ago.  She also felt animosity that she was not chosen to Norrelle's guardian.  Mama, being the eldest was given that task, Yassir's mother being the youngest of the four.

"If we assume the dragon's going west and southwest are heading to the desert and Dyginia respectively," Nalin started, "then we must assume that the dragon heading northwest was going toward Bl'taset Mountains, the infamous prison of the dwarven king, King Nunar, where he and his army were banished by the god."

"No one's ever found that mythical place," Connacht said.

"Doesn't mean it doesn't exist," Nalin offered.  "And if anyone has found it, then no one has ever returned, or gotten out."

"Why would we be going there," Shae asked.

"A dwarven army," Nalin answered.  "Besides Bl'taset, there are two dwarven prisons, created by Clinox in those mountains, plus various giants and Lyrumu.  It would be an instant army, and close to Dra'che'aeq."  Nalin paused, looking at Norrelle.  "Then there's the rune stone.  It's rumored to be buried in Bl'taset along with Nunar and his followers."

"Rune stone," Rose asked.

"Yes, there are supposedly six of them according to legend," Norrelle explained. "When the Kings lost the revolt against the Great Kings hundreds of years ago, Eteliwyth supposedly took this mighty rune stone that symbolized the five races, Human, Elfin, Dragon, Dwarf, and Giant and shattered it into six pieces.  The center of this rune stone represented the unification of the races," she pulled out the amulet she was wearing.  "This is the sixth piece, the centerpiece of unity.  He then scattered the other five, three of which he gave to the betrayers, then banished them.  The dragons, he buried in the vaults of Dra'che'aeq, then banished Rygerri and his army to the plane of shadow.  The Giants, well no one knows what he had done with it.

"Since then, only two others have been recovered," reaching into her belt pouch and pulled out the stone Richmond gave her.  "This one represents the humans, the other represents dragons, which Rygerri himself has."

"What do they do," Rose questioned.

"Well," Norrelle chuckled, "to be honest, no one truly knows.  It is said that they are needed to gain access to certain parts of Dra'che'aeq, and they may even be required to reclaim the old crowns, Artifacts created by the three gods."

"Do they do anything?" Rose pressed.

"I've had this one," Norrelle held up the one on her chest, "for over two-hundred and fifty years.  If it does anything, it hasn't yet," she said with a smile.  "I believe their secrets will be revealed at Dra'che'aeq."

"We need them then," Jason said, turning to her.

"I believe so," she answered.

"Then we must factor that into our plan," Jason replied, "as hopeless as that may be."

"Be positive," Fiona shoved him lightly.  "So, what's next?"

"Alright then," Norrelle straightened herself up.  She tried to hide her exhaustion and her own doubts.  She believed she was pulling it off, well mostly; Jason gave her a concerned stare.  She smiled. "Well, Yassir will do as planned.  The first thing in the morning, as he examines the scroll Shae, Connacht, and Rose will scour the ruins of the tower for a usable Gate.

"If there is one, then make haste through the portal and into Port Alexi.  Find whoever now is in charge---"

"Joseph Kuehn," Shae added.

"Find Kuehn and tell him what's going on.  You'll beat the dragon there, so warn them.  Then make haste to the desert.  Once there, Yassir, convince your mother to come to arms with me, for the right reasons.  Assemble as many as you can then wait on the border of the desert, Casawall and Semearal.  I will get word to you when to march and how to proceed.  Understood?"

"Yes milady," Yassir nodded.

"At that point," she studied the map, "Shae, you, Connacht, and Rose, head north to the Bl'taset Mountains, in northeastern Julefiria and locate the elfin," she paused, she hated the term, but it was what the humans called it, "reservation.  Last notice my mother had been sent it was lead by a Lord Twelyen.  Seek him and ask for his assistance.  Once ready, hold there until I send word."

"Will do," Shae said to her casually.  "How will you get us word?"

Norrelle smiled, more to herself than to the group.  She was hoping to call in a favor, a favor owed that she was not willing to divulge just yet.  An elfin mage still owed her and Mother a debt; it was time she got Arcubilus Elriol to repay.  He lived in the Araeaine with Erunil and Ewryon, hiding actually.  "Let's just say I'm owed," she grinned.

"Good enough," Shae replied.

"King Richmond," she said.

The king shuffled in his seat, jolting up, he was nearly asleep.  It was nearly midnight after all and she admitted it was one helluva an exhausting and emotionally trying day.  "I'm here, Lady Norrelle."

"No problem sir.  You will release Colin Brevor in the morning?"

"Yes," he stretched, "first thing."

"Good," she sat, "Hopefully my ship will be in the harbor within the next few days.  Send him to Katanaga after you get him up to speed with the situation."

"Planned on it already Lady Norrelle," Richmond answered.  "I'll get him there one way or another."

She nodded, "Thank you King Richmond."

"Now, the rest of us," Laurel asked.

"I know you want to find Kaynan, but my dear, I need you here.  I am sure King Richmond and General Seveil will need your talents for what's to come in the days ahead."

"But," she started.

"Laurel," Norrelle silenced her, "I promise you, Jason, Fiona, and I will get your son back, unharmed.  Please, it's for the best."

"I will put her skills to use Lady Norrelle," Nalin spoke.

"And what do you propose to do Nalin," Norrelle asked.

"Assist King Richmond in securing Islesen then move to Sebastian's Falls with as many men and dwarves as either can spare to secure the town and prevent an army from flooding down the canyon.  Once secured and stable, I," he looked at Laurel, "we will be ready to move on your orders."

"That will suffice," Norrelle replied.  "Laurel?"

"Will do Norrelle," Laurel sat, rubbing her forehead.  "Just remember your promise."

"I will not forget.  Now, Jason, Fiona, and I will head to the Araeaine Forest and meet with Erunil Araeaine and secure her position with us, one way or the other.  Once we do, we will meet Nalin at Sebastian's Falls.  This is when I'll contact you all."

"Um," Fiona raised her hand like a school girl.  "How are we getting to Araeaine?"

"Hope you're not afraid of heights," Jason whispered correctly in her ear.

"We are flying," Fiona said with an excited smile.  "Wonderful."

"It's the fast---"

A large thunderous boom echoed throughout the room.  The windows to the balcony door shattered, sending glass inward, covering her, Fiona, and the table.  Each of them instinctively ducked, standing still a few seconds to ensure nothing else was coming their way.  When she was certain that the single blast was all that was to come, she stood and opened the busted balcony doors.

Her eyes scanned the night sky of the city, where portions of it still had an orange hue of small fires.  Nothing noticeable jumped out until she realized that the southern half of the city was dark.  There should have been a beacon lighting up the lower city, sending a warning signal to wayward ships in the Sea of Winds.  No, it was black.  The Solace was dark.  Rygerri must have destroyed the city's landmark.  Lynda's Solace shined no longer.



© 2010 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing